|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are individual burials dispensed with?
(a) The gravediggers are threatening to go on strike.
(b) The death rate is too high to keep pace.
(c) People cannot afford expensive funerals.
(d) The cemetery is full.
2. What happens when Rieux tries to get Grand into the car?
(a) Grand hits him.
(b) Grand runs away, then falls over.
(c) Grand takes the car keys and runs away.
(d) Rieux has to hit him to make him keep quiet.
3. What reason does Rieux give for writing his tale of the plague in Oran?
(a) As a gift for his mother and in memory of his wife.
(b) As a record of those who were determined to resist the plague and heal its victims.
(c) To warn people about rats.
(d) So everyone will know what an important person he has been.
4. In his struggle of conscience, who does Rambert resemble?
(a) Dr. Rieux
(b) Fr Paneloux
(c) The author, Albert Camus.
(d) Dr. Castel
5. What is preventing Rieux's visit to Grand and Cottard?
(a) He has to look after his mother.
(b) A police cordon.
(c) He is worried about wasting more time.
(d) A police directive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tarrou's father's occupation?
2. Who is the gunman whom the police arrest?
3. Why are many families not allowed to attend the funerals of loved ones?
4. How is M. Othon's predicament solved?
5. How is Rambert's wife arriving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the effect of the child's death upon the other characters?
2. Why is there a steady supply of workers taking care of burials?
3. What is the situation in the camps for people in quarantine?
4. In Part 4 Chapter 3, what is the situation regarding the plague serum?
5. What gives the people cause for hope in Part 5 Chapter 1?
6. How can we tell that Tarrou is a force for good in the town?
7. What is Tarrou's philosophy?
8. How is it possible for Cottard to help Rambert?
9. What sort of man was Jean Tarrou's father?
10. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)