|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do workers take on the risky business of burying plague victims?
(a) The pay is high.
(b) They get free uniforms.
(c) People are public-spirited and feel an obligation.
(d) They like the outdoors and exercise.
2. How are people coping as the plague continues?
(a) They are in despair and suicides are frequent.
(b) They are full of fear and drink to excess.
(c) They become indifferent to what is happening to them.
(d) They become very religious and attend Mass evry day.
3. Why are individual burials dispensed with?
(a) The gravediggers are threatening to go on strike.
(b) People cannot afford expensive funerals.
(c) The death rate is too high to keep pace.
(d) The cemetery is full.
4. To what does Dr. Rieux confess?
(a) That he has stolen Tarrou's journal.
(b) That he is a secret believer in Christianity.
(c) That he is the narrator.
(d) That he did not love his wife.
5. What does Rieux tell Rambert?
(a) That there are always other women.
(b) That he is not wrong to put love first.
(c) That he might put people in danger.
(d) That it is irresponsible to put love first.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is food distributed to the people in the camp?
2. How does Rieux break with policy?
3. What does Rieux do with Grand's manuscript?
4. Who is the worst affected emotionally when the patient dies?
5. What news does his mother give to Rieux?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of M. Grand's struggle against the plague in Part 4 Chapter 7?
2. Explain the nature of the irony in the beginning of Part 5 Chapter 3.
3. What is the situation in the camps for people in quarantine?
4. In what ways do Tarrou's plague symptoms first appear?
5. Why is there a steady supply of workers taking care of burials?
6. How are local printing firms and newspapers able to profit by people's fear of the plague?
7. What choice does Rambert make in Part 4 Chapter 2?
8. Explain the significance of The Plague's final paragraph.
9. Account for Cottard's behavior in Part 5 Chapter 5.
10. Why cannot jubilation be complete at this point (Part 5 Chapter 1)?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)