|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What additional friendship has Tarrou made?
(a) With Cottard.
(b) With Rambert.
(d) With Fr Paneloux.With the Prefect.
2. Why does Rieux weep?
(a) He misses his wife.
(b) For the loss of his friend and for his own medical impotence.
(c) His mother is ill.
(d) He feels he has wasted his life.
3. What is Rieux's opinion about the case?
(a) That it is mild.
(b) That it is hopeless.
(c) That the boy is malingering.
(d) That the boy has a good chance of recovery.
4. What strongly motivates Rambert's plan to escape.
(a) Love for a woman.
(b) Fear he will lose his job.
(c) Self-love and preservation.
(d) Fear of the plague.
5. How did Tarrou respond to his father's court performance?
(a) He was embarrassed.
(b) He thought the accused deserved his fate.
(c) He was very proud of his father.
(d) He had compassion for the accused.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character cannot be saved by the serum?
2. Having made his decision, what must Rambert now give up?
3. Why are many families not allowed to attend the funerals of loved ones?
4. In what activity has Cottard become involved?
5. Why are newspaper reports optimistic?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are local printing firms and newspapers able to profit by people's fear of the plague?
2. In what way is Cottard shown to be different from other characters in The Plague?
3. What is the significance of M. Grand's struggle against the plague in Part 4 Chapter 7?
4. What drastic developments are depicted in Part 3 Chapter 1?
5. How is it possible for Cottard to help Rambert?
6. What is unusual about Tarrou's illness?
7. What is Tarrou's philosophy?
8. Explain the poignancy of Dr. Rieux's walk through the streets.
9. What do you think has led Dr. Rieux to unburden himself to Grand?
10. Why is there a steady supply of workers taking care of burials?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)