|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What criticism is made of Fr Paneloux after the sermon?
(a) That he can't be heard at the back of the church.
(b) That he has committed simony.
(c) That he has committed polysemy.
(d) That he has committed sacrilege.
2. How is Tarrou reminded of his mother?
(a) A cafe waitress.
(b) Madame Rieux is quite similar..
(c) He sees a portrait of Rieux's wife and sees a resemblance.
(d) Mme Othon is quite similar.
3. What is Rieux's opinion about the case?
(a) That it is mild.
(b) That the boy is malingering.
(c) That it is hopeless.
(d) That the boy has a good chance of recovery.
4. To what does Tarrou compare lawyers and judges?
(a) The elders of the Church.
(d) The plague.
5. How does the city government respond to looting?
(a) Martial law and a curfew are imposed.
(b) Martial law is imposed and shops are boarded up at night.
(c) All police leave is cancelled.
(d) Looters are shot on sight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Rieux give for writing his tale of the plague in Oran?
2. Who is now an important plague victim?
3. With whom is Fr Paneloux billeted?
4. What is the choice Fr Paneloux talks about in his sermon?
5. What is Cottard's reaction to the officials?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it possible for Cottard to help Rambert?
2. Do you think Dr. Castel's serum is likely to be of help?
3. Why is there a steady supply of workers taking care of burials?
4. In Part 4 Chapter 3, what is the situation regarding the plague serum?
5. Explain the nature of the irony in the beginning of Part 5 Chapter 3.
6. In what way is Cottard shown to be different from other characters in The Plague?
7. What is the effect of the child's death upon the other characters?
8. What is the reason for Rambert's decision?
9. Account for the difference tenor and content of Fr Paneloux's new sermon, compared with that he gave at the conclusion of the Week of Prayer.
10. What sort of man was Jean Tarrou's father?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)