|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is up with Grand?
(a) He is exhausted.
(b) He is afraid of Cottard.
(c) He has caught the plague.
(d) He is having a psychotic breakdown.
2. Who receives an invitation to the sermon?
(a) M. Cottard.
(b) The Prefect.
(c) Dr. Rieux.
(d) Dr. Castel.
3. What reason does Rieux give for writing his tale of the plague in Oran?
(a) As a gift for his mother and in memory of his wife.
(b) To warn people about rats.
(c) So everyone will know what an important person he has been.
(d) As a record of those who were determined to resist the plague and heal its victims.
4. Where is Grand taken for treatment?
(a) Dr Rieux's home.
(b) Rieux and Tarrou look after him at home.
(c) A military hospital.
(d) The Catholic hospital.
5. What is at the core of Rambert's problem?
(a) He knows money can buy happiness but to get it, he'd have to steal.
(b) A struggle between doing the right thing or chasing his own happiness.
(c) He is afraid of making decisions.
(d) A fear that his wife will divorce him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Prefect order?
2. How does Rieux break with policy?
3. What does Rieux confide?
4. With what does Dr. Rieux treat this patient?
5. What does Rambert anticipate happening when he meets his wife again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on the change in M. Othon.
2. How are local printing firms and newspapers able to profit by people's fear of the plague?
3. In what ways do Tarrou's plague symptoms first appear?
4. What choice does Rambert make in Part 4 Chapter 2?
5. Explain the nature of the irony in the beginning of Part 5 Chapter 3.
6. What changes does the plague seem to be undergoing?
7. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
8. Explain the poignancy of Dr. Rieux's walk through the streets.
9. What is Tarrou's philosophy?
10. What is the effect of the child's death upon the other characters?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)