|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are newspaper reports optimistic?
(a) Because the editors have given instructions to print happy stories.
(b) Because the authorities have given instructions to do that.
(c) Because reporters have been threatened if they tell the truth.
(d) Because the reporters are unaware of the true situation.
2. Why do workers take on the risky business of burying plague victims?
(a) The pay is high.
(b) They get free uniforms.
(c) People are public-spirited and feel an obligation.
(d) They like the outdoors and exercise.
3. What does the Prefect order?
(a) That food stores should open on Sundays.
(b) A bonfire and fireworks night.
(c) The street lighting is to be turned on again.
(d) A week of prayer.
4. How has Fr Paneloux assisted the community during the plague?
(a) He has researched ancient inscriptions for plague remedies.
(b) He has said Mass every day.
(c) He has worked in hospitals.
(d) He has preached supportive sermons.
5. What was Tarrou's father's occupation?
(a) He was a doctor.
(b) He was an undertaker.
(c) He was a concert pianist.
(d) He was a prosecuting attorney.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Tarrou and Rieux very conscious of their isolation?
2. What happens when the man shoots into the street?
3. What becomes the last resort for disposal of corpses?
4. Having made his decision, what must Rambert now give up?
5. How does Rieux break with policy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation in the camps for people in quarantine?
2. Account for the difference tenor and content of Fr Paneloux's new sermon, compared with that he gave at the conclusion of the Week of Prayer.
3. Why cannot jubilation be complete at this point (Part 5 Chapter 1)?
4. What gives the people cause for hope in Part 5 Chapter 1?
5. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
6. How can we tell that Tarrou is a force for good in the town?
7. How is it possible for Cottard to help Rambert?
8. Comment on the 'reality' behind the phenomenon of the Oran people, now free of the plague, walking the streets.
9. What is Tarrou's philosophy?
10. Which characters now volunteer as plague workers?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)