|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are newspaper reports optimistic?
(a) Because the editors have given instructions to print happy stories.
(b) Because the reporters are unaware of the true situation.
(c) Because the authorities have given instructions to do that.
(d) Because reporters have been threatened if they tell the truth.
2. How is M. Othon's predicament solved?
(a) The Prefect intervenes and sorts things out.
(b) Rambert threatens to write a news article about it.
(c) The mislaid paperwork is found.
(d) Rieux intervenes and sorts things out.
3. What is the reason for cautious optimism in the town?
(a) The Prefect has been seen smiling.
(b) The plague has disappeared.
(c) A cure might have been found for the plague.
(d) Plague deaths are way down.
4. What is Dr. Castel's work?
(a) He is a hospital administrator and Dr. Rieux's boss.
(b) Developing a more effective plague serum.
(c) Treating victims of the plague.
(d) Undertaking research about the rat population.
5. What makes Tarrou and Rieux very conscious of their isolation?
(a) Looking at a full moon.
(b) The view from the terrace at the asthma patient's home.
(c) The silences at night.
(d) The fact that they never get mail from the outside world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rieux confide?
2. What news does Rieux receive next day?
3. How has Fr Paneloux assisted the community during the plague?
4. How are people coping as the plague continues?
5. Who is the gunman whom the police arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation in the camps for people in quarantine?
2. In Part 4 Chapter 3, what is the situation regarding the plague serum?
3. What is the reason for Rambert's decision?
4. What choice does Rambert make in Part 4 Chapter 2?
5. What is the effect of the child's death upon the other characters?
6. Explain the poignancy of Dr. Rieux's walk through the streets.
7. How is it possible for Cottard to help Rambert?
8. What changes does the plague seem to be undergoing?
9. Comment on the change in M. Othon.
10. Account for the difference tenor and content of Fr Paneloux's new sermon, compared with that he gave at the conclusion of the Week of Prayer.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)