|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens on January 25th?
(a) Dr. Rieux turns 40.
(b) Authorities announce that the epidemic is over.
(c) There is a parade with fireworks.
(d) The city gates are reopened.
2. What does the Prefect order?
(a) A week of prayer.
(b) That food stores should open on Sundays.
(c) A bonfire and fireworks night.
(d) The street lighting is to be turned on again.
3. Why are many families not allowed to attend the funerals of loved ones?
(a) It would be too upsetting for them.
(b) There are too many of them.
(c) They are not able achieve the strict dress code.
(d) They are in quarantine.
4. Why does Tarrou thank Rieux?
(a) For not charging him.
(b) For looking after him.
(c) For getting special serum for him.
(d) For telling him the truth.
5. What does Rieux confide?
(a) That his wife is getting much better.
(b) That he has been profiteering from the plague.
(c) That his wife's condition has worsened.
(d) That he is in despair and contemplating suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What criticism is made of Fr Paneloux after the sermon?
2. Why are newspaper reports optimistic?
3. How does Rieux find out about his wife's condition?
4. How did Tarrou respond to his father's court performance?
5. Who makes a rueful observance about the feast day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think has led Dr. Rieux to unburden himself to Grand?
2. Do you think Dr. Castel's serum is likely to be of help?
3. What is the reason for Rambert's decision?
4. Account for Cottard's behavior in Part 5 Chapter 5.
5. What is the significance of M. Grand's struggle against the plague in Part 4 Chapter 7?
6. Why cannot jubilation be complete at this point (Part 5 Chapter 1)?
7. What is unusual about Tarrou's illness?
8. How are local printing firms and newspapers able to profit by people's fear of the plague?
9. What choice does Rambert make in Part 4 Chapter 2?
10. Explain the poignancy of Dr. Rieux's walk through the streets.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)