|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For which people has the plague not ended?
(a) The doctors.
(b) Priests and nuns.
(c) Those who have no-one to greet them on arrival.
(d) Staff in the municipal offices.
2. What does Rieux confide?
(a) That his wife is getting much better.
(b) That his wife's condition has worsened.
(c) That he has been profiteering from the plague.
(d) That he is in despair and contemplating suicide.
3. Why does Rieux weep?
(a) For the loss of his friend and for his own medical impotence.
(b) He misses his wife.
(c) He feels he has wasted his life.
(d) His mother is ill.
4. What does Tarrou reveal to Rambert about Rieux?
(a) That his wife is being unfaithful and has left.
(b) That he has been unfaithful and his wife has left him.
(c) That he is profiteering from the plague.
(d) That his wife is in a sanatorium in another city.
5. With whom is Fr Paneloux billeted?
(a) Cardinal Richelieu.
(b) M. Cottard.
(c) An old woman.
(d) Dr. Rieux.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is taking place in the town?
2. What has Dr. Castel achieved?
3. How has Fr Paneloux assisted the community during the plague?
4. What reason does Rieux give for writing his tale of the plague in Oran?
5. In what activity has Cottard become involved?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Dr. Castel's serum is likely to be of help?
2. How is it possible for Cottard to help Rambert?
3. Explain the poignancy of Dr. Rieux's walk through the streets.
4. What is the significance of M. Grand's struggle against the plague in Part 4 Chapter 7?
5. What changes does the plague seem to be undergoing?
6. Account for Cottard's behavior in Part 5 Chapter 5.
7. In what way is Cottard shown to be different from other characters in The Plague?
8. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
9. What gives the people cause for hope in Part 5 Chapter 1?
10. Which characters now volunteer as plague workers?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)