|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is different about Tarrou's journal at this point?
(a) It is written in red ink.
(b) He writes only on every second line.
(c) It is harder to read and not so well organised.
(d) It is full of fantasy.
2. What news does his mother give to Rieux?
(a) That she is leaving for Paris.
(b) That Tarrou is sick.
(c) That the trains are running again.
(d) That she is sick.
3. How are people coping as the plague continues?
(a) They are full of fear and drink to excess.
(b) They are in despair and suicides are frequent.
(c) They become indifferent to what is happening to them.
(d) They become very religious and attend Mass evry day.
4. What is Cottard's reaction to the officials?
(a) He offers them cigarettes.
(b) He flees.
(c) He asks them to join him for dinner.
(d) He tells them he has plague.
5. What does Rambert anticipate happening when he meets his wife again?
(a) She will worry that he has lost weight.
(b) Instant happiness.
(c) He has changed, so will reject her.
(d) Things will be over between them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ecomes general secretary to the squads of volunteers?
2. Where is M. Othon quarantined?
3. With what does Dr. Rieux treat this patient?
4. Tarrou's opinion of Grand is:
5. In his struggle of conscience, who does Rambert resemble?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways do Tarrou's plague symptoms first appear?
2. What is Tarrou's philosophy?
3. Why is there a steady supply of workers taking care of burials?
4. What is the situation in the camps for people in quarantine?
5. What do you think has led Dr. Rieux to unburden himself to Grand?
6. Account for Cottard's behavior in Part 5 Chapter 5.
7. What is the reason for Rambert's decision?
8. Do you think Dr. Castel's serum is likely to be of help?
9. Which characters now volunteer as plague workers?
10. In what way is Cottard shown to be different from other characters in The Plague?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)