|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Tarrou and Rieux very conscious of their isolation?
(a) The silences at night.
(b) The view from the terrace at the asthma patient's home.
(c) Looking at a full moon.
(d) The fact that they never get mail from the outside world.
2. What is different about Tarrou's journal at this point?
(a) It is written in red ink.
(b) He writes only on every second line.
(c) It is full of fantasy.
(d) It is harder to read and not so well organised.
3. What does Rambert anticipate happening when he meets his wife again?
(a) She will worry that he has lost weight.
(b) He has changed, so will reject her.
(c) Instant happiness.
(d) Things will be over between them.
4. Why is M. Othon's release from camp delayed?
(a) He has not done the paperwork.
(b) There is suspicion that he has plague.
(c) There has been a mistake.
(d) He has upset the Prefect.
5. Which voice is now telling the story?
(a) Raymond Rambert.
(b) The original narrator.
(c) Rieux's mother.
(d) Joseph Grand.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tarrou respond to his father's court performance?
2. What does Rieux confide?
3. Why are individual burials dispensed with?
4. What news does Rieux receive next day?
5. What is now possible for Rambert?
Short Essay Questions
1. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
2. How is it possible for Cottard to help Rambert?
3. Comment on the change in M. Othon.
4. Why cannot jubilation be complete at this point (Part 5 Chapter 1)?
5. In what way is Cottard shown to be different from other characters in The Plague?
6. In Part 4 Chapter 3, what is the situation regarding the plague serum?
7. Explain the significance of The Plague's final paragraph.
8. What is the reason for Rambert's decision?
9. What choice does Rambert make in Part 4 Chapter 2?
10. How are local printing firms and newspapers able to profit by people's fear of the plague?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)