|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Fr Paneloux assisted the community during the plague?
(a) He has researched ancient inscriptions for plague remedies.
(b) He has preached supportive sermons.
(c) He has said Mass every day.
(d) He has worked in hospitals.
2. Why does Rieux weep?
(a) He feels he has wasted his life.
(b) His mother is ill.
(c) He misses his wife.
(d) For the loss of his friend and for his own medical impotence.
3. What has Dr. Castel achieved?
(a) He has inoculated more people than Dr. Rieux.
(b) He has brokered a deal with France to manufacture serum.
(c) He has produced a serum suitable for local conditions.
(d) He has isolated the plague bacillus for the first time.
4. Why does Tarrou go home with Cottard?
(a) Cottard is unwell.
(b) Cottard has a present for him.
(c) He is invited for dinner.
(d) Cottard insists.
5. Which voice is now telling the story?
(a) Joseph Grand.
(b) Raymond Rambert.
(c) Rieux's mother.
(d) The original narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Tarrou reminded of his mother?
2. What happens on January 25th?
3. How does the city government respond to looting?
4. With whom is Fr Paneloux billeted?
5. What does Rieux do with Grand's manuscript?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there a steady supply of workers taking care of burials?
2. Explain the poignancy of Dr. Rieux's walk through the streets.
3. In what ways do Tarrou's plague symptoms first appear?
4. What do you think has led Dr. Rieux to unburden himself to Grand?
5. In what way is Cottard shown to be different from other characters in The Plague?
6. What changes does the plague seem to be undergoing?
7. Has Cottard really gained from his profiteering during the plague?
8. How are local printing firms and newspapers able to profit by people's fear of the plague?
9. What is the effect of the child's death upon the other characters?
10. Which characters now volunteer as plague workers?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)