|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which voice is now telling the story?
(a) Raymond Rambert.
(b) Joseph Grand.
(c) Rieux's mother.
(d) The original narrator.
2. How has Fr Paneloux assisted the community during the plague?
(a) He has worked in hospitals.
(b) He has said Mass every day.
(c) He has researched ancient inscriptions for plague remedies.
(d) He has preached supportive sermons.
3. What was the elder Tarrou's obsession?
(a) Watching court cases.
(b) The railway directory.
(c) Model trains.
4. What does Rambert anticipate happening when he meets his wife again?
(a) Things will be over between them.
(b) He has changed, so will reject her.
(c) Instant happiness.
(d) She will worry that he has lost weight.
5. Which character cannot be saved by the serum?
(a) Mme. Rieux.
(b) M. Othon.
(c) M. Grand.
(d) M. Cottard.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tarrou respond to his father's court performance?
2. Why does Rieux weep?
3. How is food distributed to the people in the camp?
4. To what does Tarrou compare lawyers and judges?
5. What strongly motivates Rambert's plan to escape.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about Tarrou's illness?
2. How is it possible for Cottard to help Rambert?
3. What is the effect of the child's death upon the other characters?
4. What do you think has led Dr. Rieux to unburden himself to Grand?
5. Explain the nature of the irony in the beginning of Part 5 Chapter 3.
6. What is Tarrou's philosophy?
7. Comment on the 'reality' behind the phenomenon of the Oran people, now free of the plague, walking the streets.
8. What is the reason for Rambert's decision?
9. Account for the difference tenor and content of Fr Paneloux's new sermon, compared with that he gave at the conclusion of the Week of Prayer.
10. In what way is Cottard shown to be different from other characters in The Plague?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)