|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Spaniard's medical condition?
(a) He has bubolic plague.
(b) He is bedridden with cancer.
(c) He is bedridden with asthma.
(d) He has tuberculosis.
2. With what does Rieux contrast pictures of the plague through history?
(a) The tranquil and beautiful spring day.
(b) A photograph of his wife.
(c) Pictures of Oran's parks and gardens.
(d) Cottard's predicament.
3. In what era is the story set?
(a) During the French Revolution.
(b) 1940s, shortly after World War II.
(c) 1940s during World War II.
(d) 1916, during World War I.
4. Why is M. Grand an interesting character?
(a) He leads an adventurous life.
(b) He has solved a great mystery.
(c) His life is not fulfilling, yet there is a mystery about him.
(d) He has discovered something amazing hidden in the municipal archives.
5. How has Rieux's work-load increased?
(a) He has to treat plague vistims, experiment on rats and run a 500-bed plague hospital.
(b) He has to do research to produce plague serum, treat patients and administer a hospital.
(c) He is now required to treat 100 patients per day.
(d) He now treats patients as well as administering a 500-bed plague hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first victim of the plague?
2. What sort of communication is forbidden?
3. How is the city situated geographically?
4. How do people find out about the plague death rate?
5. What is Fr Paneloux's religious order?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mme. Rieux concerned about her son?
2. Who is Joseph Grand?
3. What is the popular mood as described in Part 2 Chapter 5?
4. How do people react to Fr. Paneloux's sermon?
5. In Part 2 Chapter 3, what measure is taken by the town leaders?
6. Why is Jean Tarrou important in the story?
7. How does the relationship between Dr. Rieux and M. Grand develop?
8. In what era is the story set?
9. Which character is very persistent in Part 2 Chapter 5?
10. Why is Cottard questioned by the police?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)