|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first victim of the plague?
(a) The Spaniard.
(b) The concierge in Dr. Rieux's apartment building.
(c) M. Cottard.
(d) A railway porter.
2. In what way is the character similar emotionally to the townspeople?
(a) Both are indifferent to the world.
(b) Both are despondent.
(c) Both are cynical.
(d) Both are jubilant.
3. After the sermon, what happens in the town?
(a) People are motivated to help the plague victims.
(b) People panic.
(c) People couldn't care less.
(d) People go back to work.
4. What is Fr Paneloux's religious order?
(a) He is a Discalced Carmelite.
(b) He is a Franciscan.
(c) He is a Jesuit.
(d) He is a Dominican.
5. What is making things difficult for cinema owners?
(a) They are only allowed to show newsreels.
(b) They can't get ushers because of the plague.
(c) They have to charge lower admission fees.
(d) They have no new films to show.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sight disturbs Rieux as he drives home?
2. Who comes with M. Joseph Grand to see Dr Rieux?
3. What is the Spaniard's medical condition?
4. What important meeting takes place?
5. What is Tarrou's response to the ideas in the High Mass sermon?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2 Chapter 3, what measure is taken by the town leaders?
2. Why is Mme. Rieux concerned about her son?
3. Account for Cottard's behavior in Part 5 Chapter 5.
4. Which characters now volunteer as plague workers?
5. Why is Cottard questioned by the police?
6. What is the reason for Rambert's decision?
7. What sort of man was Jean Tarrou's father?
8. Why cannot jubilation be complete at this point (Part 5 Chapter 1)?
9. How do people react to Fr. Paneloux's sermon?
10. What choice does Rambert make in Part 4 Chapter 2?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)