|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the people of Oran react to the sermon at High Mass?
(a) People are very much in agreement.
(b) It's a mixed reaction.
(c) People reject it completely and become angry.
(d) It's an enthusiastic reaction.
2. With what does Rieux contrast pictures of the plague through history?
(a) Cottard's predicament.
(b) The tranquil and beautiful spring day.
(c) A photograph of his wife.
(d) Pictures of Oran's parks and gardens.
3. What is one result of the sealed city?
(a) People are cut off from loved ones.
(b) People are more likely to recover from plague.
(c) People are more likely to get plague.
(d) The Prefect has a feeling of great power.
4. Why hasn't M. Grand been able to correct the mistake made about his promotion?
(a) The authorities will not allow him to do this.
(b) He cannot find his application form.
(c) He cannot find the right words.
(d) He cannot find the time.
5. How does the Spaniard spend his days?
(b) Writing a novel.
(c) Counting rats.
(d) Counting dried peas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important change in people's behavior does Tarrou record?
2. What else does Dr Rieux muse about in relation to the plague?
3. What is the apparent result of this weather condition?
4. Where is this information to be found?
5. What is Fr Paneloux's religious order?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way do you think Tarrou and Rieux are of like mind?
2. Why is Mme. Rieux concerned about her son?
3. How does the heatwave further discourage the citizens of Oran?
4. What does Fr. Paneloux tell the people in his sermon at High Mass?
5. Do you think Dr. Castel's serum is likely to be of help?
6. Why cannot jubilation be complete at this point (Part 5 Chapter 1)?
7. What is the main function of the city of Oran?
8. What do you think has led Dr. Rieux to unburden himself to Grand?
9. Why is news of the plague kept from the people?
10. What is the problem about the announcements being made about the disease?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)