|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the town's response to the Week of Prayer?
(a) There is heavy attendance at Mass.
(b) People are indifferent, uninterested.
(c) They resist it, but it happens anyway.
(d) Some people attend Mass, but most party on.
2. What is the apparent result of this weather condition?
(a) Rats are washed into the water supply.
(b) The rain refreshes everyone.
(c) There is an increase in the number of plague victims.
(d) The number of plague victims decreases.
3. Why does Rieux ask Tarrou to do this?
(a) Because he doesn't speak English.
(b) Because he wants to write an article about it for the Medical Journal.
(c) Because he has terrible handwriting.
(d) Because he is too busy to do it himself.
4. What does Grand reveal?
(a) That he is writing a novel.
(b) That he has a secret girlfriend.
(c) That he wrote the sermon.
(d) That he is in disguise.
5. Who is Jean Tarrou?
(a) A railway worker.
(b) A government official.
(c) A man of independent means (comfortable income).
(d) A journalist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of communication is forbidden?
2. What is Fr Paneloux's religious order?
3. How do the people of Oran react to the sermon at High Mass?
4. What problem has the Prefect to deal with, making his job harder?
5. How do people find out about the plague death rate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the relationship between Dr. Rieux and M. Grand develop?
2. Which character is very persistent in Part 2 Chapter 5?
3. In what era is the story set?
4. In Part 2 Chapter 3, what measure is taken by the town leaders?
5. What does Dr. Rieux muse about in Part 1 Chapter 5?
6. Why is Cottard questioned by the police?
7. What is the problem about the announcements being made about the disease?
8. Why is Jean Tarrou important in the story?
9. What does Tarrou record about M. Othon?
10. What is the main function of the city of Oran?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)