|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Joseph Grand?
(a) He is M. Tarrou's neighbor.
(b) He is Cottard's neighbor.
(c) He is Dr. Rieux's neighbor.
(d) He is a Masonic Grand Master.
2. What point is Camus making through this chapter?
(a) That we should accept musery.
(b) That plague is incurable.
(c) That human beings can cope quite well in isolation.
(d) That isolation increases human misery.
3. What interesting character enters the novel at this point?
(a) The plague itself.
(b) Inspector Clouseau.
(c) The Oran water supply.
(d) Dr Rieux's mother-in-law.
4. Who makes the order to close the town?
(a) The Prefect.
(b) M. Othon.
(c) The French President.
(d) Dr. Rieux.
5. Who is also in attendance when Cottard is questioned?
(a) Dr Rieux.
(b) Fr. Pertelote
(c) Inspector Clouseau.
(d) M. Grand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the problem with the shipment of serum?
2. Who comes with M. Joseph Grand to see Dr Rieux?
3. Why are the townspeople not told the disease is plague?
4. How does Rieux treat the plague victims?
5. What is one result of the sealed city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors are making life stressful for Dr. Rieux?
2. What does Fr. Paneloux tell the people in his sermon at High Mass?
3. What is the situation in the camps for people in quarantine?
4. What choice does Rambert make in Part 4 Chapter 2?
5. What is the problem about the announcements being made about the disease?
6. Do you think Dr. Castel's serum is likely to be of help?
7. Who is Jean Tarrou?
8. Account for the difference tenor and content of Fr Paneloux's new sermon, compared with that he gave at the conclusion of the Week of Prayer.
9. What is the significance of M. Grand's struggle against the plague in Part 4 Chapter 7?
10. Comment on the change in M. Othon.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)