|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the townspeople not told the disease is plague?
(a) The authorities fear a panic will result.
(b) Inspector Clouseau has arrived.
(c) Dr Rieux is panicking.
(d) The authorities are not sure that the disease is.
2. Who makes the order to close the town?
(a) Dr. Rieux.
(b) The French President.
(c) The Prefect.
(d) M. Othon.
3. What is the character's focus for action in this chapter?
(a) A planned escape from Oran.
(b) Communication with the outside world.
(c) Public health.
(d) A spouse
4. Why is M. Grand an interesting character?
(a) He has solved a great mystery.
(b) His life is not fulfilling, yet there is a mystery about him.
(c) He leads an adventurous life.
(d) He has discovered something amazing hidden in the municipal archives.
5. In what important way has the plague changed?
(a) It has become much more severe.
(b) It has changed from pneumonic to bubonic.
(c) It has changed from bubonic to harmonic.
(d) It has changed from bubonic to pneumonic.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rieux treat the plague victims?
2. What creative problem does Grand have?
3. What is Rieux's attitude to religion and God?
4. In what way are people allowed to communicate with those outside the city?
5. Who comes with M. Joseph Grand to see Dr Rieux?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Joseph Grand?
2. What is the popular mood as described in Part 2 Chapter 5?
3. What does Dr. Rieux muse about in Part 1 Chapter 5?
4. Why is news of the plague kept from the people?
5. What do you think is interesting about Grand?
6. In what way do you think Tarrou and Rieux are of like mind?
7. Why is Jean Tarrou important in the story?
8. Who is Jean Tarrou?
9. When does the Prefect finally take action?
10. What literary device does Camus use in Chapter 5 to accentuate meaning?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)