|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rieux's attitude to religion and God?
(a) He is open to being converted.
(b) He is not a believer.
(c) He believes ardently and attends Mass regularly.
(d) He believes religion is all right some of the time.
2. What creative problem does Grand have?
(a) He can't do any research because of the plague.
(b) He is stuck on page 6.
(c) He is stuck on the first sentence.
(d) He is having trouble with creating an antagonist.
3. What human attitude concerns Rieux?
(a) Humans' quick acceptance of reality.
(b) Human infallibility.
(c) Human prejudice and warmongering.
(d) Humans' inability to accept reality.
4. Why are people seeking pleasure?
(a) They are rebelling against the church.
(b) It's a response to harsh new laws.
(c) It's a response to their lives being in danger.
(d) They are careless.
5. What is Rieux worried about?
(a) That the disease will affect his wife.
(b) That the trains will stop running.
(c) That the people will panic.
(d) That the disease will get out of hand and kill half the population.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT a symptom of the plague?
2. How does the Spaniard spend his days?
3. Who questions Cottard?
4. This chapter focuses on which character in the novel?
5. What sight disturbs Rieux as he drives home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mme. Rieux concerned about her son?
2. Who is Raymond Rambert?
3. Why is news of the plague kept from the people?
4. Why is Cottard questioned by the police?
5. What does M. Grand reveal in Part 2 Chapter 4?
6. In Part 2 Chapter 3, what measure is taken by the town leaders?
7. What does Dr. Rieux muse about in Part 1 Chapter 5?
8. How do people react to Fr. Paneloux's sermon?
9. What literary device does Camus use in Chapter 5 to accentuate meaning?
10. Who is Jean Tarrou?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)