|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Cottard give for his suicide attempt?
(a) 'A silent grief.'
(b) 'A secret grief.'
(c) 'A delayed grief.'
(d) 'A grief observed.'
2. Who is Jean Tarrou?
(a) A government official.
(b) A journalist.
(c) A railway worker.
(d) A man of independent means (comfortable income).
3. How does Rieux treat the plague victims?
(a) He can do nothing.
(b) He applies poultices to the abscesses and makes the people stay indoors.
(c) He injects them with penicillin.
(d) He lances and drains the abscesses.
4. How does the Spaniard spend his days?
(a) Counting rats.
(c) Counting dried peas.
(d) Writing a novel.
5. An unusual thing about the city is that:
(a) It has abundant water.
(b) It has no native plants or animals.
(c) Everybody has a garden.
(d) It is famous for its plants and animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Grand give for his problem?
2. What action does the Prefect take?
3. What is Rieux's attitude to religion and God?
4. Why are the townspeople not told the disease is plague?
5. What else does Dr Rieux muse about in relation to the plague?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Raymond Rambert?
2. Why is Mme. Rieux concerned about her son?
3. Why is Cottard questioned by the police?
4. Why have telegrams become the main means of contact ordinary people now have with the outside world?
5. How do people react to Fr. Paneloux's sermon?
6. As described in Chapter 7, what are the first steps taken to deal with the crisis?
7. In Part 2 Chapter 3, what measure is taken by the town leaders?
8. In what era is the story set?
9. What literary device does Camus use in Chapter 5 to accentuate meaning?
10. Why is Jean Tarrou important in the story?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)