|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what means do influential town leaders hope to resist the plague?
(a) Inoculating the population.
(b) Disinfecting the streets.
(c) Organising a Week of Prayer.
(d) Organising a Week of Sacrifice.
2. What is the town's response to the Week of Prayer?
(a) Some people attend Mass, but most party on.
(b) People are indifferent, uninterested.
(c) There is heavy attendance at Mass.
(d) They resist it, but it happens anyway.
3. How many people have contracted the disease and recovered?
(b) None. All have died.
(c) Everone has recovered.
4. How is the city situated geographically?
(a) It is close to a plateau.
(b) It is dominated by mountains.
(c) It is next to delightful coastal beaches.
(d) It is the middle of a plateau.
5. Why is use of the telephone severely restricted?
(a) It is too expensive.
(b) The lines have been congested.
(c) Because there is only one line available.
(d) Because doctors need the phone lines open.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is also in attendance when Cottard is questioned?
2. What weather conditions set in after the sermon?
3. What is Tarrou's response to the ideas in the High Mass sermon?
4. What reason does Grand give for his problem?
5. What else does Dr Rieux muse about in relation to the plague?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dr. Rieux worried about in Chapter 2?
2. Which characters now volunteer as plague workers?
3. When does the Prefect finally take action?
4. In what way is Cottard shown to be different from other characters in The Plague?
5. How can we tell that Tarrou is a force for good in the town?
6. Why is Cottard questioned by the police?
7. Which character is very persistent in Part 2 Chapter 5?
8. What does M. Grand reveal in Part 2 Chapter 4?
9. Explain the nature of the irony in the beginning of Part 5 Chapter 3.
10. Who is Joseph Grand?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)