|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Rieux disclose that the apris serum is not ideally effective?
(b) His wife.
(d) His mother.
2. What reason does Grand give for his problem?
(a) He has become bored with the whole thing.
(b) He is not satisfied with his ideas.
(c) He is not satisfied with the paper he is using.
(d) He is not satisfied with the words.
3. What is M. Grand's job?
(a) He is Manager at the Municipal Office.
(b) He is a bank manager.
(c) He is a clerk at the hospital.
(d) He is a clerk in the Municipal Office.
4. What weather conditions set in after the sermon?
(a) The weather is unchanged.
(b) There is snow.
(c) There is a heatwave.
(d) There is a hurricane.
5. What is the focus in the questioning of Cottard?
(a) Cottard's suicide attempt.
(b) Cottard's wife.
(c) Dr Rieux's professional treatment.
(d) Tarrou's journal.
6. What is making things difficult for cinema owners?
(a) They can't get ushers because of the plague.
(b) They have to charge lower admission fees.
(c) They are only allowed to show newsreels.
(d) They have no new films to show.
7. Who is the first victim of the plague?
(a) A railway porter.
(b) The Spaniard.
(c) M. Cottard.
(d) The concierge in Dr. Rieux's apartment building.
8. How does the Spaniard spend his days?
(a) Counting rats.
(b) Writing a novel.
(d) Counting dried peas.
9. How do the people of Oran react to the sermon at High Mass?
(a) It's an enthusiastic reaction.
(b) People reject it completely and become angry.
(c) People are very much in agreement.
(d) It's a mixed reaction.
10. How has Rieux's work-load increased?
(a) He now treats patients as well as administering a 500-bed plague hospital.
(b) He has to treat plague vistims, experiment on rats and run a 500-bed plague hospital.
(c) He is now required to treat 100 patients per day.
(d) He has to do research to produce plague serum, treat patients and administer a hospital.
11. What causes panic in the town?
(a) A possible attack from Germany.
(b) The number of rat deaths.
(c) The plague of rats.
(d) The number of people dying from plague.
12. Which method is successful for the character in attaining the goal?
(a) Rational argument.
(c) Civil disobedience.
(d) None. He fails.
13. What is the main message of the closing sermon at High Mass?
(a) God is love.
(b) God has sent the plague to force people to repent.
(c) God no longer cares about humanity.
(d) People smoke and drink too much.
14. In what way has Grand's marriage affected his future?
(a) His became depressed because he found his wife boring.
(b) He left college and took a boring job.
(c) He finished college but could only get a boring job.
(d) He moved to Oran with his wife to escape her father.
15. Who questions Cottard?
(a) Inspector Clouseau.
(b) A public health official.
(c) M. Tarrou.
(d) The police inspector.
Short Answer Questions
1. What creative problem does Grand have?
2. What action has Dr. Rieux already taken?
3. Why does Rieux ask Tarrou to do this?
4. In what country is the story set?
5. Why is Rieux called out to treat M. Cottard?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)