|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does Rieux contrast pictures of the plague through history?
(a) The tranquil and beautiful spring day.
(b) Pictures of Oran's parks and gardens.
(c) A photograph of his wife.
(d) Cottard's predicament.
2. To whom does Rieux disclose that the apris serum is not ideally effective?
(b) His mother.
(d) His wife.
3. What does Rieux ask Jean Tarrou to do for him?
(a) To provide funding for treating plague victims.
(b) To write to his wife for him.
(c) To write a journal documenting the plague.
(d) To write to the local authorities about the rats.
4. What creative problem does Grand have?
(a) He can't do any research because of the plague.
(b) He is stuck on page 6.
(c) He is stuck on the first sentence.
(d) He is having trouble with creating an antagonist.
5. Who is Jean Tarrou?
(a) A railway worker.
(b) A government official.
(c) A journalist.
(d) A man of independent means (comfortable income).
6. Who is the first victim of the plague?
(a) The Spaniard.
(b) The concierge in Dr. Rieux's apartment building.
(c) M. Cottard.
(d) A railway porter.
7. In what city is the story set?
(a) The city of Aran.
(b) The city of Algiers.
(c) The city of Casablanca.
(d) The city of Oran.
8. What is Fr Paneloux's special area of expertise?
(a) He's a skilled counsellor.
(b) He's famous for his sermons.
(c) He's an expert on ancient inscriptions.
(d) He's a noted church organist.
9. Why is Rieux called out to treat M. Cottard?
(a) M. Cottard has suffered a fit.
(b) M. Cottard has pneumonia.
(c) M. Cottard has attempted to hang himself.
(d) M. Cottard has slashed his wrists.
10. What is the focus in the questioning of Cottard?
(a) Dr Rieux's professional treatment.
(b) Cottard's wife.
(c) Cottard's suicide attempt.
(d) Tarrou's journal.
11. Why hasn't M. Grand been able to correct the mistake made about his promotion?
(a) He cannot find the time.
(b) He cannot find his application form.
(c) He cannot find the right words.
(d) The authorities will not allow him to do this.
12. What is Rieux worried about?
(a) That the disease will affect his wife.
(b) That the trains will stop running.
(c) That the people will panic.
(d) That the disease will get out of hand and kill half the population.
13. What is NOT a symptom of the plague?
(b) Fear of water (hydrophobia).
(d) Extreme thirst.
14. What interesting character enters the novel at this point?
(a) The Oran water supply.
(b) Dr Rieux's mother-in-law.
(c) The plague itself.
(d) Inspector Clouseau.
15. This chapter focuses on which character in the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who questions Cottard?
2. What action does the Prefect take?
3. What is the town's response to the Week of Prayer?
4. By what means do influential town leaders hope to resist the plague?
5. What weather conditions set in after the sermon?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)