|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rieux ask Jean Tarrou to do for him?
(a) To write to his wife for him.
(b) To write to the local authorities about the rats.
(c) To provide funding for treating plague victims.
(d) To write a journal documenting the plague.
2. What problem has the Prefect to deal with, making his job harder?
(a) His wife is having an affair and he doesn't know with whom.
(b) People are pressurising him to sack Dr. Rieux.
(c) He has to deal with a rebellion and drunkenness.
(d) People keep taking their frustrations out on him and ask him to bend the rules for them.
3. To whom does Rieux disclose that the apris serum is not ideally effective?
(a) His mother.
(d) His wife.
4. Who comes with Grand to see Dr Rieux?
(a) M. Tarrou.
(b) M. Cottard.
(c) The chief of police.
(d) Mme. de Valois.
5. What is the apparent result of this weather condition?
(a) There is an increase in the number of plague victims.
(b) The number of plague victims decreases.
(c) The rain refreshes everyone.
(d) Rats are washed into the water supply.
6. How do the people of Oran react to the sermon at High Mass?
(a) People are very much in agreement.
(b) People reject it completely and become angry.
(c) It's an enthusiastic reaction.
(d) It's a mixed reaction.
7. In what way is the character similar emotionally to the townspeople?
(a) Both are indifferent to the world.
(b) Both are despondent.
(c) Both are cynical.
(d) Both are jubilant.
8. Who volunteers to help Rieux?
9. By what means do influential town leaders hope to resist the plague?
(a) Inoculating the population.
(b) Organising a Week of Prayer.
(c) Organising a Week of Sacrifice.
(d) Disinfecting the streets.
10. What causes panic in the town?
(a) A possible attack from Germany.
(b) The number of rat deaths.
(c) The plague of rats.
(d) The number of people dying from plague.
11. What is Fr Paneloux's special area of expertise?
(a) He's an expert on ancient inscriptions.
(b) He's famous for his sermons.
(c) He's a noted church organist.
(d) He's a skilled counsellor.
12. What is making things difficult for cinema owners?
(a) They have no new films to show.
(b) They have to charge lower admission fees.
(c) They can't get ushers because of the plague.
(d) They are only allowed to show newsreels.
13. What does Dr. Rieux urge the committee to do?
(a) Avoid panicking the citizens.
(b) Get rid of all rats.
(c) Inoculate the Prefect with anti-plague serum.
(d) Start public health measures as if the disease is plague.
14. What is the focus in the questioning of Cottard?
(a) Cottard's wife.
(b) Dr Rieux's professional treatment.
(c) Cottard's suicide attempt.
(d) Tarrou's journal.
15. What is M. Grand's job?
(a) He is Manager at the Municipal Office.
(b) He is a clerk at the hospital.
(c) He is a clerk in the Municipal Office.
(d) He is a bank manager.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sight disturbs Rieux as he drives home?
2. Why does Rieux ask Tarrou to do this?
3. An unusual thing about the city is that:
4. What creative problem does Grand have?
5. What action has Dr. Rieux already taken?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)