|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator tells us that the city is:
(a) Exciting and vibrant.
(b) Needs better design.
2. How do people express their feelings after the sermon?
(a) There is an open forum where people can debate the issues.
(b) There are huge numbers of letters to the editor of the local paper.
(c) There is violence and many people try to escape.
(d) People line up to volunteer to help their fellow citizens.
3. Who comes with M. Joseph Grand to see Dr Rieux?
(a) Cardinal Richelieu.
(b) The police inspector.
(c) M. Tarrou.
(d) M. Cottard.
4. What does Dr. Rieux urge the committee to do?
(a) Get rid of all rats.
(b) Avoid panicking the citizens.
(c) Start public health measures as if the disease is plague.
(d) Inoculate the Prefect with anti-plague serum.
5. In what way are people allowed to communicate with those outside the city?
(a) Carrier pigeons.
(b) They are not allowed to communicate at all.
(c) Mobile phones.
6. What creative problem does Grand have?
(a) He is stuck on page 6.
(b) He is having trouble with creating an antagonist.
(c) He can't do any research because of the plague.
(d) He is stuck on the first sentence.
7. Who is Jean Tarrou?
(a) A man of independent means (comfortable income).
(b) A journalist.
(c) A railway worker.
(d) A government official.
8. What causes panic in the town?
(a) A possible attack from Germany.
(b) The number of people dying from plague.
(c) The plague of rats.
(d) The number of rat deaths.
9. What action has Dr. Rieux already taken?
(a) He has organised mass poisonings of rats.
(b) He has ordered supplies of anti-plague serum.
(c) He has bought a train ticket out of town.
(d) He has started to manufacture anti-plague serum.
10. What is the Spaniard's medical condition?
(a) He is bedridden with asthma.
(b) He has bubolic plague.
(c) He has tuberculosis.
(d) He is bedridden with cancer.
11. In what country is the story set?
12. What important information is given in the notices?
(a) Cases of fever are to be treated by Dr Rieux, the rats are to be exteminated and the water supply monitored.
(b) Cases of vever are to be treated at home after they are reported, a black mark has to be painted on the door of a plague house and volunteers are needed for trial of a serum.
(c) Cases of fever are to be reported and a bounty has been placed on rats.
(d) Cases of fever are to be reported, rats will be exterminated and the water supply monitored.
13. Why does Rieux ask Tarrou to do this?
(a) Because he is too busy to do it himself.
(b) Because he has terrible handwriting.
(c) Because he doesn't speak English.
(d) Because he wants to write an article about it for the Medical Journal.
14. After the sermon, what happens in the town?
(a) People go back to work.
(b) People couldn't care less.
(c) People are motivated to help the plague victims.
(d) People panic.
15. By what means do influential town leaders hope to resist the plague?
(a) Organising a Week of Sacrifice.
(b) Inoculating the population.
(c) Organising a Week of Prayer.
(d) Disinfecting the streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who removes the dead rat from Dr Rieux's landing?
2. What is the problem with the shipment of serum?
3. Why is Rieux called out to treat M. Cottard?
4. In what city is the story set?
5. What sort of communication is forbidden?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)