|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Cottard give for his suicide attempt?
(a) 'A delayed grief.'
(b) 'A silent grief.'
(c) 'A grief observed.'
(d) 'A secret grief.'
2. Why are the townspeople not told the disease is plague?
(a) The authorities fear a panic will result.
(b) The authorities are not sure that the disease is.
(c) Inspector Clouseau has arrived.
(d) Dr Rieux is panicking.
3. What is Tarrou's response to the ideas in the High Mass sermon?
(a) He does not believe in collective punishment.
(b) He does not think the ideas are worth discussing.
(c) He believes the ideas are sound.
(d) He believes in collective punishment as truth.
4. What does Rieux ask Jean Tarrou to do for him?
(a) To write to his wife for him.
(b) To write a journal documenting the plague.
(c) To write to the local authorities about the rats.
(d) To provide funding for treating plague victims.
5. The narrator tells us that the city is:
(b) Needs better design.
(c) Exciting and vibrant.
6. What does Dr. Rieux think about the illness?
(a) He thinks it is asthma.
(b) He thinks it is tuberculosis.
(c) He thinks it is an unknown disease.
(d) He thinks it is plague.
7. Who volunteers to help Rieux?
8. Who is Jean Tarrou?
(a) A man of independent means (comfortable income).
(b) A railway worker.
(c) A journalist.
(d) A government official.
9. What important information is given in the notices?
(a) Cases of fever are to be reported and a bounty has been placed on rats.
(b) Cases of vever are to be treated at home after they are reported, a black mark has to be painted on the door of a plague house and volunteers are needed for trial of a serum.
(c) Cases of fever are to be treated by Dr Rieux, the rats are to be exteminated and the water supply monitored.
(d) Cases of fever are to be reported, rats will be exterminated and the water supply monitored.
10. What sort of communication is forbidden?
(a) Sending telegrams.
(b) Making audio tapes.
(c) Kissing and embracing in the street.
(d) Writing or receiving letters.
11. What does Grand reveal?
(a) That he is writing a novel.
(b) That he wrote the sermon.
(c) That he has a secret girlfriend.
(d) That he is in disguise.
12. How has Rieux's work-load increased?
(a) He has to do research to produce plague serum, treat patients and administer a hospital.
(b) He now treats patients as well as administering a 500-bed plague hospital.
(c) He has to treat plague vistims, experiment on rats and run a 500-bed plague hospital.
(d) He is now required to treat 100 patients per day.
13. What weather conditions set in after the sermon?
(a) There is a heatwave.
(b) There is a hurricane.
(c) The weather is unchanged.
(d) There is snow.
14. What is the town's response to the Week of Prayer?
(a) People are indifferent, uninterested.
(b) There is heavy attendance at Mass.
(c) They resist it, but it happens anyway.
(d) Some people attend Mass, but most party on.
15. What is the problem regarding the city gates?
(a) They cannot be closed.
(b) They are not high enough and people escape.
(c) They were closed before the announcement was made.
(d) They were closed too late to make a difference.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rieux treat the plague victims?
2. Who is Joseph Grand?
3. What causes panic in the town?
4. In what important way has the plague changed?
5. What sight disturbs Rieux as he drives home?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)