|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way are people allowed to communicate with those outside the city?
(a) Carrier pigeons.
(b) They are not allowed to communicate at all.
(c) Mobile phones.
2. What is the problem with the shipment of serum?
(a) It has been contaminated.
(b) It is the wrong sort.
(c) It is inadequate for needs.
(d) It has been accidentally destroyed in transit.
3. Who removes the dead rat from Dr Rieux's landing?
(a) The concierge.
(b) Dr Rieux.
(c) Mrs Rieux.
(d) M. Othon.
4. How do people express their feelings after the sermon?
(a) There is an open forum where people can debate the issues.
(b) There is violence and many people try to escape.
(c) People line up to volunteer to help their fellow citizens.
(d) There are huge numbers of letters to the editor of the local paper.
5. Who preaches the closing sermon at High Mass?
(a) The Bishop of Marseilles.
(b) Fr Paneloux.
(c) Cardinal Richelieu.
(d) A firebrand Dominican priest.
6. What is the apparent result of this weather condition?
(a) Rats are washed into the water supply.
(b) The number of plague victims decreases.
(c) There is an increase in the number of plague victims.
(d) The rain refreshes everyone.
7. What problem has the Prefect to deal with, making his job harder?
(a) People keep taking their frustrations out on him and ask him to bend the rules for them.
(b) People are pressurising him to sack Dr. Rieux.
(c) He has to deal with a rebellion and drunkenness.
(d) His wife is having an affair and he doesn't know with whom.
8. What does Rieux ask Jean Tarrou to do for him?
(a) To write to the local authorities about the rats.
(b) To write a journal documenting the plague.
(c) To write to his wife for him.
(d) To provide funding for treating plague victims.
9. How do the people of Oran react to the sermon at High Mass?
(a) People reject it completely and become angry.
(b) People are very much in agreement.
(c) It's an enthusiastic reaction.
(d) It's a mixed reaction.
10. What is the character's focus for action in this chapter?
(a) A planned escape from Oran.
(b) A spouse
(c) Communication with the outside world.
(d) Public health.
11. What is the problem regarding the city gates?
(a) They cannot be closed.
(b) They are not high enough and people escape.
(c) They were closed before the announcement was made.
(d) They were closed too late to make a difference.
12. What is the town's response to the Week of Prayer?
(a) They resist it, but it happens anyway.
(b) People are indifferent, uninterested.
(c) There is heavy attendance at Mass.
(d) Some people attend Mass, but most party on.
13. Who is the first victim of the plague?
(a) The concierge in Dr. Rieux's apartment building.
(b) A railway porter.
(c) M. Cottard.
(d) The Spaniard.
14. What important information is given in the notices?
(a) Cases of fever are to be reported and a bounty has been placed on rats.
(b) Cases of vever are to be treated at home after they are reported, a black mark has to be painted on the door of a plague house and volunteers are needed for trial of a serum.
(c) Cases of fever are to be treated by Dr Rieux, the rats are to be exteminated and the water supply monitored.
(d) Cases of fever are to be reported, rats will be exterminated and the water supply monitored.
15. What human attitude concerns Rieux?
(a) Human infallibility.
(b) Humans' inability to accept reality.
(c) Humans' quick acceptance of reality.
(d) Human prejudice and warmongering.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grand reveal?
2. In what city is the story set?
3. Why hasn't M. Grand been able to correct the mistake made about his promotion?
4. Who comes with M. Joseph Grand to see Dr Rieux?
5. How does Rieux caution Tarrou?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)