|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes panic in the town?
(a) A possible attack from Germany.
(b) The number of rat deaths.
(c) The plague of rats.
(d) The number of people dying from plague.
2. By what means do influential town leaders hope to resist the plague?
(a) Inoculating the population.
(b) Disinfecting the streets.
(c) Organising a Week of Sacrifice.
(d) Organising a Week of Prayer.
3. What is Rieux worried about?
(a) That the trains will stop running.
(b) That the disease will get out of hand and kill half the population.
(c) That the disease will affect his wife.
(d) That the people will panic.
4. Why is Rieux called out to treat M. Cottard?
(a) M. Cottard has slashed his wrists.
(b) M. Cottard has suffered a fit.
(c) M. Cottard has pneumonia.
(d) M. Cottard has attempted to hang himself.
5. In what city is the story set?
(a) The city of Algiers.
(b) The city of Casablanca.
(c) The city of Aran.
(d) The city of Oran.
6. Who is Joseph Grand?
(a) He is a Masonic Grand Master.
(b) He is Dr. Rieux's neighbor.
(c) He is M. Tarrou's neighbor.
(d) He is Cottard's neighbor.
7. What point is Camus making through this chapter?
(a) That isolation increases human misery.
(b) That plague is incurable.
(c) That we should accept musery.
(d) That human beings can cope quite well in isolation.
8. What is NOT a symptom of the plague?
(a) Extreme thirst.
(b) Fear of water (hydrophobia).
9. What does Dr. Rieux think about the illness?
(a) He thinks it is asthma.
(b) He thinks it is plague.
(c) He thinks it is an unknown disease.
(d) He thinks it is tuberculosis.
10. What creative problem does Grand have?
(a) He is stuck on page 6.
(b) He is stuck on the first sentence.
(c) He is having trouble with creating an antagonist.
(d) He can't do any research because of the plague.
11. This chapter focuses on which character in the novel?
12. What is Rieux's attitude to religion and God?
(a) He believes religion is all right some of the time.
(b) He is open to being converted.
(c) He believes ardently and attends Mass regularly.
(d) He is not a believer.
13. How do the people of Oran react to the sermon at High Mass?
(a) It's a mixed reaction.
(b) People reject it completely and become angry.
(c) People are very much in agreement.
(d) It's an enthusiastic reaction.
14. What problem has the Prefect to deal with, making his job harder?
(a) People keep taking their frustrations out on him and ask him to bend the rules for them.
(b) People are pressurising him to sack Dr. Rieux.
(c) He has to deal with a rebellion and drunkenness.
(d) His wife is having an affair and he doesn't know with whom.
15. What is the problem with the shipment of serum?
(a) It is the wrong sort.
(b) It is inadequate for needs.
(c) It has been accidentally destroyed in transit.
(d) It has been contaminated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tarrou's response to the ideas in the High Mass sermon?
2. What does Grand reveal?
3. Where is this information to be found?
4. Who must Rieux take with him when he has to evacuate a plague victim?
5. What human attitude concerns Rieux?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)