|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tarrou's response to the ideas in the High Mass sermon?
(a) He does not believe in collective punishment.
(b) He does not think the ideas are worth discussing.
(c) He believes the ideas are sound.
(d) He believes in collective punishment as truth.
2. What creative problem does Grand have?
(a) He is stuck on the first sentence.
(b) He is stuck on page 6.
(c) He is having trouble with creating an antagonist.
(d) He can't do any research because of the plague.
3. Why are the townspeople not told the disease is plague?
(a) The authorities are not sure that the disease is.
(b) Dr Rieux is panicking.
(c) Inspector Clouseau has arrived.
(d) The authorities fear a panic will result.
4. What important meeting takes place?
(a) The Prefect meets a committee of concerned citizens.
(b) The Prefect meets Dr. Rieux's wife.
(c) The Prefect meets with ratcatchers.
(d) The Prefect meets a committee of doctors.
5. What reason does Grand give for his problem?
(a) He is not satisfied with the paper he is using.
(b) He has become bored with the whole thing.
(c) He is not satisfied with the words.
(d) He is not satisfied with his ideas.
6. Why does Rieux ask Tarrou to do this?
(a) Because he doesn't speak English.
(b) Because he wants to write an article about it for the Medical Journal.
(c) Because he has terrible handwriting.
(d) Because he is too busy to do it himself.
7. The narrator tells us that the city is:
(a) Exciting and vibrant.
(c) Needs better design.
8. How many people have contracted the disease and recovered?
(c) Everone has recovered.
(d) None. All have died.
9. Why is M. Grand an interesting character?
(a) He leads an adventurous life.
(b) His life is not fulfilling, yet there is a mystery about him.
(c) He has solved a great mystery.
(d) He has discovered something amazing hidden in the municipal archives.
10. What important information is given in the notices?
(a) Cases of vever are to be treated at home after they are reported, a black mark has to be painted on the door of a plague house and volunteers are needed for trial of a serum.
(b) Cases of fever are to be reported and a bounty has been placed on rats.
(c) Cases of fever are to be reported, rats will be exterminated and the water supply monitored.
(d) Cases of fever are to be treated by Dr Rieux, the rats are to be exteminated and the water supply monitored.
11. Who volunteers to help Rieux?
12. In what era is the story set?
(a) 1940s during World War II.
(b) During the French Revolution.
(c) 1940s, shortly after World War II.
(d) 1916, during World War I.
13. Who removes the dead rat from Dr Rieux's landing?
(a) The concierge.
(b) M. Othon.
(c) Dr Rieux.
(d) Mrs Rieux.
14. How is the city situated geographically?
(a) It is the middle of a plateau.
(b) It is next to delightful coastal beaches.
(c) It is close to a plateau.
(d) It is dominated by mountains.
15. What is Fr Paneloux's religious order?
(a) He is a Dominican.
(b) He is a Jesuit.
(c) He is a Franciscan.
(d) He is a Discalced Carmelite.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes the order to close the town?
2. What does Rieux ask Jean Tarrou to do for him?
3. By what means do influential town leaders hope to resist the plague?
4. What is the town's response to the Week of Prayer?
5. What problem has the Prefect to deal with, making his job harder?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)