|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the people of Oran react to the sermon at High Mass?
(a) People reject it completely and become angry.
(b) It's a mixed reaction.
(c) It's an enthusiastic reaction.
(d) People are very much in agreement.
2. What does Grand reveal?
(a) That he has a secret girlfriend.
(b) That he wrote the sermon.
(c) That he is writing a novel.
(d) That he is in disguise.
3. What is the problem with the shipment of serum?
(a) It is inadequate for needs.
(b) It has been accidentally destroyed in transit.
(c) It has been contaminated.
(d) It is the wrong sort.
4. What action has Dr. Rieux already taken?
(a) He has bought a train ticket out of town.
(b) He has organised mass poisonings of rats.
(c) He has ordered supplies of anti-plague serum.
(d) He has started to manufacture anti-plague serum.
5. Why are people seeking pleasure?
(a) They are careless.
(b) It's a response to harsh new laws.
(c) It's a response to their lives being in danger.
(d) They are rebelling against the church.
6. In what city is the story set?
(a) The city of Casablanca.
(b) The city of Algiers.
(c) The city of Aran.
(d) The city of Oran.
7. What is one result of the sealed city?
(a) People are more likely to get plague.
(b) The Prefect has a feeling of great power.
(c) People are cut off from loved ones.
(d) People are more likely to recover from plague.
8. By what means do influential town leaders hope to resist the plague?
(a) Inoculating the population.
(b) Organising a Week of Sacrifice.
(c) Organising a Week of Prayer.
(d) Disinfecting the streets.
9. Who is also in attendance when Cottard is questioned?
(a) M. Grand.
(b) Fr. Pertelote
(c) Inspector Clouseau.
(d) Dr Rieux.
10. What is Rieux worried about?
(a) That the people will panic.
(b) That the trains will stop running.
(c) That the disease will affect his wife.
(d) That the disease will get out of hand and kill half the population.
11. An unusual thing about the city is that:
(a) Everybody has a garden.
(b) It has abundant water.
(c) It has no native plants or animals.
(d) It is famous for its plants and animals.
12. What is one aspect of the plague that Dr Rieux considers?
(a) Its cure.
(b) Its treatment.
(c) Its history.
(d) Its future.
13. What else does Dr Rieux muse about in relation to the plague?
(a) Its use as a biological weapon.
(b) Its geography.
(c) Its power.
(d) Its symptoms/manifestations.
14. In what way are people allowed to communicate with those outside the city?
(a) Mobile phones.
(b) Carrier pigeons.
(c) They are not allowed to communicate at all.
15. Why are the townspeople not told the disease is plague?
(a) The authorities fear a panic will result.
(b) Dr Rieux is panicking.
(c) The authorities are not sure that the disease is.
(d) Inspector Clouseau has arrived.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the town's response to the Week of Prayer?
2. Why is M. Grand an interesting character?
3. How does Rieux caution Tarrou?
4. What creative problem does Grand have?
5. What action does the Prefect take?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)