|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one result of the sealed city?
(a) People are more likely to get plague.
(b) The Prefect has a feeling of great power.
(c) People are more likely to recover from plague.
(d) People are cut off from loved ones.
2. What does Rieux ask Jean Tarrou to do for him?
(a) To provide funding for treating plague victims.
(b) To write to his wife for him.
(c) To write to the local authorities about the rats.
(d) To write a journal documenting the plague.
3. Why are the townspeople not told the disease is plague?
(a) Dr Rieux is panicking.
(b) Inspector Clouseau has arrived.
(c) The authorities are not sure that the disease is.
(d) The authorities fear a panic will result.
4. Why is use of the telephone severely restricted?
(a) Because doctors need the phone lines open.
(b) It is too expensive.
(c) The lines have been congested.
(d) Because there is only one line available.
5. Where is this information to be found?
(a) On walls, as graffiti.
(b) On walls, as in public notices.
(c) In the newspapers.
(d) In Tarrou's journal.
6. How do people express their feelings after the sermon?
(a) There are huge numbers of letters to the editor of the local paper.
(b) People line up to volunteer to help their fellow citizens.
(c) There is an open forum where people can debate the issues.
(d) There is violence and many people try to escape.
7. How do people find out about the plague death rate?
(a) Via radio broadcasts.
(b) By reading the newspapers.
(c) By word of mouth.
(d) On television.
8. What does Tarrou say about Othon as a father?
(a) That he cannot control his children.
(b) That he is a loving disciplinarian.
(c) That he is very demanding and controlling.
(d) That he is neglectful of his children.
9. This chapter focuses on which character in the novel?
10. Why is M. Grand an interesting character?
(a) He has solved a great mystery.
(b) He has discovered something amazing hidden in the municipal archives.
(c) He leads an adventurous life.
(d) His life is not fulfilling, yet there is a mystery about him.
11. What reason does Cottard give for his suicide attempt?
(a) 'A grief observed.'
(b) 'A silent grief.'
(c) 'A delayed grief.'
(d) 'A secret grief.'
12. What problem has the Prefect to deal with, making his job harder?
(a) People are pressurising him to sack Dr. Rieux.
(b) His wife is having an affair and he doesn't know with whom.
(c) He has to deal with a rebellion and drunkenness.
(d) People keep taking their frustrations out on him and ask him to bend the rules for them.
13. In what way is the character similar emotionally to the townspeople?
(a) Both are cynical.
(b) Both are jubilant.
(c) Both are despondent.
(d) Both are indifferent to the world.
14. What does Grand reveal?
(a) That he is in disguise.
(b) That he is writing a novel.
(c) That he has a secret girlfriend.
(d) That he wrote the sermon.
15. What is the Spaniard's medical condition?
(a) He has bubolic plague.
(b) He has tuberculosis.
(c) He is bedridden with asthma.
(d) He is bedridden with cancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tarrou's response to the ideas in the High Mass sermon?
2. What is the problem with the shipment of serum?
3. What action has Dr. Rieux already taken?
4. What is the town's response to the Week of Prayer?
5. In what city is the story set?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)