|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rieux caution Tarrou?
(a) He tells him he is at risk and must have an inoculation.
(b) He tells him there is no risk if he has an inoculation.
(c) He cautions him against having an inoculation because the serum is weak.
(d) He tells him not to drink the water.
2. What weather conditions set in after the sermon?
(a) There is snow.
(b) There is a heatwave.
(c) The weather is unchanged.
(d) There is a hurricane.
3. By what means do influential town leaders hope to resist the plague?
(a) Organising a Week of Prayer.
(b) Inoculating the population.
(c) Disinfecting the streets.
(d) Organising a Week of Sacrifice.
4. In what way are people allowed to communicate with those outside the city?
(a) They are not allowed to communicate at all.
(b) Mobile phones.
(c) Carrier pigeons.
5. What is the main message of the closing sermon at High Mass?
(a) God no longer cares about humanity.
(b) God has sent the plague to force people to repent.
(c) People smoke and drink too much.
(d) God is love.
6. What is the Spaniard's medical condition?
(a) He has tuberculosis.
(b) He is bedridden with cancer.
(c) He has bubolic plague.
(d) He is bedridden with asthma.
7. Who is also in attendance when Cottard is questioned?
(a) M. Grand.
(b) Fr. Pertelote
(c) Inspector Clouseau.
(d) Dr Rieux.
8. What does Grand reveal?
(a) That he wrote the sermon.
(b) That he is writing a novel.
(c) That he has a secret girlfriend.
(d) That he is in disguise.
9. What is one aspect of the plague that Dr Rieux considers?
(a) Its treatment.
(b) Its cure.
(c) Its history.
(d) Its future.
10. What is the apparent result of this weather condition?
(a) The rain refreshes everyone.
(b) There is an increase in the number of plague victims.
(c) The number of plague victims decreases.
(d) Rats are washed into the water supply.
11. In what city is the story set?
(a) The city of Algiers.
(b) The city of Oran.
(c) The city of Casablanca.
(d) The city of Aran.
12. What important information is given in the notices?
(a) Cases of fever are to be treated by Dr Rieux, the rats are to be exteminated and the water supply monitored.
(b) Cases of fever are to be reported and a bounty has been placed on rats.
(c) Cases of vever are to be treated at home after they are reported, a black mark has to be painted on the door of a plague house and volunteers are needed for trial of a serum.
(d) Cases of fever are to be reported, rats will be exterminated and the water supply monitored.
13. Why is Rieux called out to treat M. Cottard?
(a) M. Cottard has attempted to hang himself.
(b) M. Cottard has pneumonia.
(c) M. Cottard has slashed his wrists.
(d) M. Cottard has suffered a fit.
14. What is Rieux's attitude to religion and God?
(a) He is open to being converted.
(b) He believes ardently and attends Mass regularly.
(c) He believes religion is all right some of the time.
(d) He is not a believer.
15. Where is this information to be found?
(a) On walls, as in public notices.
(b) In Tarrou's journal.
(c) On walls, as graffiti.
(d) In the newspapers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't all sufferers have hospital treatment?
2. Who is the first victim of the plague?
3. What is the problem regarding the city gates?
4. Why are people seeking pleasure?
5. Who is Joseph Grand?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)