|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This chapter focuses on which character in the novel?
2. Why are people seeking pleasure?
(a) It's a response to harsh new laws.
(b) They are careless.
(c) It's a response to their lives being in danger.
(d) They are rebelling against the church.
3. Why is M. Grand an interesting character?
(a) He has solved a great mystery.
(b) He leads an adventurous life.
(c) His life is not fulfilling, yet there is a mystery about him.
(d) He has discovered something amazing hidden in the municipal archives.
4. What is Rieux worried about?
(a) That the disease will get out of hand and kill half the population.
(b) That the trains will stop running.
(c) That the disease will affect his wife.
(d) That the people will panic.
5. What does Dr. Rieux urge the committee to do?
(a) Avoid panicking the citizens.
(b) Get rid of all rats.
(c) Inoculate the Prefect with anti-plague serum.
(d) Start public health measures as if the disease is plague.
6. What important meeting takes place?
(a) The Prefect meets a committee of concerned citizens.
(b) The Prefect meets Dr. Rieux's wife.
(c) The Prefect meets with ratcatchers.
(d) The Prefect meets a committee of doctors.
7. How does the Spaniard spend his days?
(a) Counting rats.
(b) Counting dried peas.
(c) Writing a novel.
8. Who is also in attendance when Cottard is questioned?
(a) Fr. Pertelote
(b) Dr Rieux.
(c) M. Grand.
(d) Inspector Clouseau.
9. What interesting character enters the novel at this point?
(a) Dr Rieux's mother-in-law.
(b) The plague itself.
(c) Inspector Clouseau.
(d) The Oran water supply.
10. What sort of communication is forbidden?
(a) Sending telegrams.
(b) Making audio tapes.
(c) Kissing and embracing in the street.
(d) Writing or receiving letters.
11. How is the city situated geographically?
(a) It is next to delightful coastal beaches.
(b) It is dominated by mountains.
(c) It is close to a plateau.
(d) It is the middle of a plateau.
12. How has Rieux's work-load increased?
(a) He has to do research to produce plague serum, treat patients and administer a hospital.
(b) He now treats patients as well as administering a 500-bed plague hospital.
(c) He has to treat plague vistims, experiment on rats and run a 500-bed plague hospital.
(d) He is now required to treat 100 patients per day.
13. What is Fr Paneloux's religious order?
(a) He is a Jesuit.
(b) He is a Dominican.
(c) He is a Franciscan.
(d) He is a Discalced Carmelite.
14. What is Tarrou's response to the ideas in the High Mass sermon?
(a) He does not believe in collective punishment.
(b) He does not think the ideas are worth discussing.
(c) He believes in collective punishment as truth.
(d) He believes the ideas are sound.
15. What is the character's focus for action in this chapter?
(a) A spouse
(b) A planned escape from Oran.
(c) Public health.
(d) Communication with the outside world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is making things difficult for cinema owners?
2. In what predicament does Rambert find himself?
3. Where do notices about the disease appear?
4. What human attitude concerns Rieux?
5. What is NOT a symptom of the plague?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)