|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the sermon, what happens in the town?
(a) People are motivated to help the plague victims.
(b) People panic.
(c) People go back to work.
(d) People couldn't care less.
2. Why has the journalist Raymod Rambert come to Oran?
(a) To investigate the welfare of Arabs in Oran.
(b) To research suicide deaths in Oran.
(c) To interview the polic magistrate.
(d) To investigate the plague of rats in Oran.
3. How many people have contracted the disease and recovered?
(c) Everone has recovered.
(d) None. All have died.
4. How do people express their feelings after the sermon?
(a) There is an open forum where people can debate the issues.
(b) There are huge numbers of letters to the editor of the local paper.
(c) There is violence and many people try to escape.
(d) People line up to volunteer to help their fellow citizens.
5. The narrator tells us that the city is:
(a) Needs better design.
(d) Exciting and vibrant.
6. What is Tarrou's response to the ideas in the High Mass sermon?
(a) He believes the ideas are sound.
(b) He does not believe in collective punishment.
(c) He does not think the ideas are worth discussing.
(d) He believes in collective punishment as truth.
7. Where is this information to be found?
(a) On walls, as in public notices.
(b) On walls, as graffiti.
(c) In the newspapers.
(d) In Tarrou's journal.
8. What sort of communication is forbidden?
(a) Kissing and embracing in the street.
(b) Writing or receiving letters.
(c) Making audio tapes.
(d) Sending telegrams.
9. Who is the first victim of the plague?
(a) M. Cottard.
(b) A railway porter.
(c) The Spaniard.
(d) The concierge in Dr. Rieux's apartment building.
10. This chapter focuses on which character in the novel?
11. What action does the Prefect take?
(a) He makes the proclamation of plague.
(b) He makes a speech on the radio.
(c) He leaves the city.
(d) He calls a meeting.
12. Which method is successful for the character in attaining the goal?
(a) Rational argument.
(b) None. He fails.
(d) Civil disobedience.
13. What methods does the character use to attain the goal or goals?
(a) Argument and direct action.
(b) Civil disobedience, sabotage and direct action.
(c) Argument and sabotage.
14. What is Rieux's attitude to religion and God?
(a) He is open to being converted.
(b) He believes ardently and attends Mass regularly.
(c) He is not a believer.
(d) He believes religion is all right some of the time.
15. What weather conditions set in after the sermon?
(a) There is a heatwave.
(b) There is a hurricane.
(c) There is snow.
(d) The weather is unchanged.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what means do influential town leaders hope to resist the plague?
2. What reason does Cottard give for his suicide attempt?
3. How has Rieux's work-load increased?
4. What reason does Grand give for his problem?
5. In what city is the story set?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)