|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Rieux urge the committee to do?
(a) Inoculate the Prefect with anti-plague serum.
(b) Start public health measures as if the disease is plague.
(c) Get rid of all rats.
(d) Avoid panicking the citizens.
2. What reason does Cottard give for his suicide attempt?
(a) 'A secret grief.'
(b) 'A grief observed.'
(c) 'A delayed grief.'
(d) 'A silent grief.'
3. By what means do influential town leaders hope to resist the plague?
(a) Organising a Week of Prayer.
(b) Disinfecting the streets.
(c) Inoculating the population.
(d) Organising a Week of Sacrifice.
4. In what way are people allowed to communicate with those outside the city?
(b) Carrier pigeons.
(c) Mobile phones.
(d) They are not allowed to communicate at all.
5. What is Fr Paneloux's religious order?
(a) He is a Jesuit.
(b) He is a Dominican.
(c) He is a Franciscan.
(d) He is a Discalced Carmelite.
6. What causes panic in the town?
(a) The number of rat deaths.
(b) A possible attack from Germany.
(c) The plague of rats.
(d) The number of people dying from plague.
7. What measures is the Prefect forced to take?
(a) Traffic control, cinema closure and water rationing.
(b) Traffic control and rationing of food and electricity.
(c) Arresting anyone who drinks in the street and closing the cinemas.
(d) Putting armed guards at all liquor outlets and rationing water.
8. What is one aspect of the plague that Dr Rieux considers?
(a) Its treatment.
(b) Its cure.
(c) Its future.
(d) Its history.
9. What is the town's response to the Week of Prayer?
(a) They resist it, but it happens anyway.
(b) There is heavy attendance at Mass.
(c) People are indifferent, uninterested.
(d) Some people attend Mass, but most party on.
10. In what important way has the plague changed?
(a) It has changed from bubonic to harmonic.
(b) It has changed from pneumonic to bubonic.
(c) It has become much more severe.
(d) It has changed from bubonic to pneumonic.
11. Who volunteers to help Rieux?
12. What sort of communication is forbidden?
(a) Sending telegrams.
(b) Writing or receiving letters.
(c) Kissing and embracing in the street.
(d) Making audio tapes.
13. In what predicament does Rambert find himself?
(a) He has missed out on a job as Editor of his paper.
(b) He cannot file the news story.
(c) He is trapped in Oran away from his wife.
(d) He is afraid to tell anyone he has a fever.
14. Who preaches the closing sermon at High Mass?
(a) The Bishop of Marseilles.
(b) Fr Paneloux.
(c) A firebrand Dominican priest.
(d) Cardinal Richelieu.
15. Who is also in attendance when Cottard is questioned?
(a) Inspector Clouseau.
(b) M. Grand.
(c) Fr. Pertelote
(d) Dr Rieux.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way has Grand's marriage affected his future?
2. What is making things difficult for cinema owners?
3. Who is the first victim of the plague?
4. Why are the townspeople not told the disease is plague?
5. Why are people seeking pleasure?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)