|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the problem with the shipment of serum?
(a) It has been contaminated.
(b) It is inadequate for needs.
(c) It is the wrong sort.
(d) It has been accidentally destroyed in transit.
2. What is the apparent result of this weather condition?
(a) There is an increase in the number of plague victims.
(b) The rain refreshes everyone.
(c) Rats are washed into the water supply.
(d) The number of plague victims decreases.
3. Why are the townspeople not told the disease is plague?
(a) Inspector Clouseau has arrived.
(b) Dr Rieux is panicking.
(c) The authorities are not sure that the disease is.
(d) The authorities fear a panic will result.
4. Where is this information to be found?
(a) On walls, as in public notices.
(b) In Tarrou's journal.
(c) In the newspapers.
(d) On walls, as graffiti.
5. Why hasn't M. Grand been able to correct the mistake made about his promotion?
(a) The authorities will not allow him to do this.
(b) He cannot find the right words.
(c) He cannot find his application form.
(d) He cannot find the time.
6. How does Rieux caution Tarrou?
(a) He tells him there is no risk if he has an inoculation.
(b) He cautions him against having an inoculation because the serum is weak.
(c) He tells him not to drink the water.
(d) He tells him he is at risk and must have an inoculation.
7. What sort of communication is forbidden?
(a) Writing or receiving letters.
(b) Making audio tapes.
(c) Kissing and embracing in the street.
(d) Sending telegrams.
8. Who is Joseph Grand?
(a) He is a Masonic Grand Master.
(b) He is Dr. Rieux's neighbor.
(c) He is Cottard's neighbor.
(d) He is M. Tarrou's neighbor.
9. What measures is the Prefect forced to take?
(a) Traffic control and rationing of food and electricity.
(b) Putting armed guards at all liquor outlets and rationing water.
(c) Traffic control, cinema closure and water rationing.
(d) Arresting anyone who drinks in the street and closing the cinemas.
10. Why are people seeking pleasure?
(a) It's a response to harsh new laws.
(b) They are careless.
(c) It's a response to their lives being in danger.
(d) They are rebelling against the church.
11. Why is Rieux called out to treat M. Cottard?
(a) M. Cottard has attempted to hang himself.
(b) M. Cottard has pneumonia.
(c) M. Cottard has suffered a fit.
(d) M. Cottard has slashed his wrists.
12. What is the Spaniard's medical condition?
(a) He is bedridden with cancer.
(b) He is bedridden with asthma.
(c) He has bubolic plague.
(d) He has tuberculosis.
13. What is M. Grand's job?
(a) He is Manager at the Municipal Office.
(b) He is a clerk in the Municipal Office.
(c) He is a bank manager.
(d) He is a clerk at the hospital.
14. What is one result of the sealed city?
(a) People are more likely to recover from plague.
(b) The Prefect has a feeling of great power.
(c) People are more likely to get plague.
(d) People are cut off from loved ones.
15. Why does Rieux ask Tarrou to do this?
(a) Because he is too busy to do it himself.
(b) Because he doesn't speak English.
(c) Because he has terrible handwriting.
(d) Because he wants to write an article about it for the Medical Journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Rieux's work-load increased?
2. What reason does Grand give for his problem?
3. What else does Dr Rieux muse about in relation to the plague?
4. Who volunteers to help Rieux?
5. In what country is the story set?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)