|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do people express their feelings after the sermon?
(a) People line up to volunteer to help their fellow citizens.
(b) There are huge numbers of letters to the editor of the local paper.
(c) There is an open forum where people can debate the issues.
(d) There is violence and many people try to escape.
2. In what city is the story set?
(a) The city of Oran.
(b) The city of Casablanca.
(c) The city of Algiers.
(d) The city of Aran.
3. Who removes the dead rat from Dr Rieux's landing?
(a) Dr Rieux.
(b) Mrs Rieux.
(c) M. Othon.
(d) The concierge.
4. Who is also in attendance when Cottard is questioned?
(a) Inspector Clouseau.
(b) Fr. Pertelote
(c) M. Grand.
(d) Dr Rieux.
5. To whom does Rieux disclose that the apris serum is not ideally effective?
(b) His wife.
(d) His mother.
6. Who is Jean Tarrou?
(a) A railway worker.
(b) A man of independent means (comfortable income).
(c) A journalist.
(d) A government official.
7. How do people find out about the plague death rate?
(a) By reading the newspapers.
(b) On television.
(c) Via radio broadcasts.
(d) By word of mouth.
8. What is Fr Paneloux's special area of expertise?
(a) He's a skilled counsellor.
(b) He's an expert on ancient inscriptions.
(c) He's famous for his sermons.
(d) He's a noted church organist.
9. What methods does the character use to attain the goal or goals?
(a) Argument and direct action.
(c) Argument and sabotage.
(d) Civil disobedience, sabotage and direct action.
10. Which method is successful for the character in attaining the goal?
(b) Rational argument.
(c) None. He fails.
(d) Civil disobedience.
11. What else does Dr Rieux muse about in relation to the plague?
(a) Its use as a biological weapon.
(b) Its symptoms/manifestations.
(c) Its geography.
(d) Its power.
12. Why does Rieux ask Tarrou to do this?
(a) Because he is too busy to do it himself.
(b) Because he doesn't speak English.
(c) Because he has terrible handwriting.
(d) Because he wants to write an article about it for the Medical Journal.
13. What human attitude concerns Rieux?
(a) Human prejudice and warmongering.
(b) Humans' quick acceptance of reality.
(c) Humans' inability to accept reality.
(d) Human infallibility.
14. In what era is the story set?
(a) 1916, during World War I.
(b) 1940s, shortly after World War II.
(c) 1940s during World War II.
(d) During the French Revolution.
15. What important change in people's behavior does Tarrou record?
(a) That nobody laughs, except drunks.
(b) That they are more tolerant of drunks.
(c) That they laugh at the plague.
(d) That everyone laughs, especially drunks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is M. Grand's job?
2. How does Rieux treat the plague victims?
3. What problem has the Prefect to deal with, making his job harder?
4. Where do notices about the disease appear?
5. Who must Rieux take with him when he has to evacuate a plague victim?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)