|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has the journalist Raymod Rambert come to Oran?
(a) To investigate the welfare of Arabs in Oran.
(b) To interview the polic magistrate.
(c) To research suicide deaths in Oran.
(d) To investigate the plague of rats in Oran.
2. An unusual thing about the city is that:
(a) Everybody has a garden.
(b) It has abundant water.
(c) It has no native plants or animals.
(d) It is famous for its plants and animals.
3. How does Rieux caution Tarrou?
(a) He tells him he is at risk and must have an inoculation.
(b) He tells him not to drink the water.
(c) He cautions him against having an inoculation because the serum is weak.
(d) He tells him there is no risk if he has an inoculation.
4. What is NOT a symptom of the plague?
(a) Fear of water (hydrophobia).
(b) Extreme thirst.
5. In what way is the character similar emotionally to the townspeople?
(a) Both are indifferent to the world.
(b) Both are cynical.
(c) Both are jubilant.
(d) Both are despondent.
6. Why don't all sufferers have hospital treatment?
(a) They die before they can get to hospital.
(b) Dr Rieux has quarantined them.
(c) There are not enough beds at the hospital.
(d) They have no transport.
7. How has Rieux's work-load increased?
(a) He is now required to treat 100 patients per day.
(b) He has to treat plague vistims, experiment on rats and run a 500-bed plague hospital.
(c) He has to do research to produce plague serum, treat patients and administer a hospital.
(d) He now treats patients as well as administering a 500-bed plague hospital.
8. What is the character's focus for action in this chapter?
(a) A spouse
(b) Public health.
(c) A planned escape from Oran.
(d) Communication with the outside world.
9. What action has Dr. Rieux already taken?
(a) He has organised mass poisonings of rats.
(b) He has started to manufacture anti-plague serum.
(c) He has bought a train ticket out of town.
(d) He has ordered supplies of anti-plague serum.
10. Why are people seeking pleasure?
(a) They are careless.
(b) They are rebelling against the church.
(c) It's a response to harsh new laws.
(d) It's a response to their lives being in danger.
11. What reason does Cottard give for his suicide attempt?
(a) 'A silent grief.'
(b) 'A delayed grief.'
(c) 'A secret grief.'
(d) 'A grief observed.'
12. How do people express their feelings after the sermon?
(a) There is an open forum where people can debate the issues.
(b) There is violence and many people try to escape.
(c) There are huge numbers of letters to the editor of the local paper.
(d) People line up to volunteer to help their fellow citizens.
13. Who makes the order to close the town?
(a) Dr. Rieux.
(b) The French President.
(c) The Prefect.
(d) M. Othon.
14. In what city is the story set?
(a) The city of Algiers.
(b) The city of Casablanca.
(c) The city of Aran.
(d) The city of Oran.
15. What is Tarrou's response to the ideas in the High Mass sermon?
(a) He believes the ideas are sound.
(b) He does not believe in collective punishment.
(c) He does not think the ideas are worth discussing.
(d) He believes in collective punishment as truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the problem regarding the city gates?
2. What weather conditions set in after the sermon?
3. What does Tarrou say about Othon as a father?
4. What sort of communication is forbidden?
5. The narrator tells us that the city is:
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)