|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Fr Paneloux's religious order?
(a) He is a Franciscan.
(b) He is a Discalced Carmelite.
(c) He is a Dominican.
(d) He is a Jesuit.
2. Where is this information to be found?
(a) On walls, as in public notices.
(b) On walls, as graffiti.
(c) In Tarrou's journal.
(d) In the newspapers.
3. What is M. Grand's job?
(a) He is a clerk at the hospital.
(b) He is Manager at the Municipal Office.
(c) He is a clerk in the Municipal Office.
(d) He is a bank manager.
4. What causes panic in the town?
(a) The number of people dying from plague.
(b) The plague of rats.
(c) The number of rat deaths.
(d) A possible attack from Germany.
5. Who comes with Grand to see Dr Rieux?
(a) Mme. de Valois.
(b) M. Tarrou.
(c) The chief of police.
(d) M. Cottard.
6. What is NOT a symptom of the plague?
(b) Fear of water (hydrophobia).
(c) Extreme thirst.
7. Who volunteers to help Rieux?
8. How does Rieux treat the plague victims?
(a) He can do nothing.
(b) He injects them with penicillin.
(c) He applies poultices to the abscesses and makes the people stay indoors.
(d) He lances and drains the abscesses.
9. The narrator tells us that the city is:
(a) Exciting and vibrant.
(c) Needs better design.
10. What interesting character enters the novel at this point?
(a) Inspector Clouseau.
(b) Dr Rieux's mother-in-law.
(c) The plague itself.
(d) The Oran water supply.
11. Who is the first victim of the plague?
(a) The Spaniard.
(b) M. Cottard.
(c) The concierge in Dr. Rieux's apartment building.
(d) A railway porter.
12. Who is Jean Tarrou?
(a) A journalist.
(b) A railway worker.
(c) A government official.
(d) A man of independent means (comfortable income).
13. How has Rieux's work-load increased?
(a) He has to do research to produce plague serum, treat patients and administer a hospital.
(b) He now treats patients as well as administering a 500-bed plague hospital.
(c) He is now required to treat 100 patients per day.
(d) He has to treat plague vistims, experiment on rats and run a 500-bed plague hospital.
14. How do the people of Oran react to the sermon at High Mass?
(a) It's a mixed reaction.
(b) People reject it completely and become angry.
(c) People are very much in agreement.
(d) It's an enthusiastic reaction.
15. Why don't all sufferers have hospital treatment?
(a) They die before they can get to hospital.
(b) Dr Rieux has quarantined them.
(c) There are not enough beds at the hospital.
(d) They have no transport.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fr Paneloux's special area of expertise?
2. In what way has Grand's marriage affected his future?
3. Why is use of the telephone severely restricted?
4. What is the problem with the shipment of serum?
5. What important meeting takes place?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)