Part 1: Chapter 1
* The Algerian/French port of Oran is described.
* The story's narrator is introduced.
Part 1: Chapter 2
* Dr. Bernard Rieux finds a dead rat in his apartment building and asks the concierge to dispose of it.
* Dr. Rieux's wife leaves the city for tuberculosis treatment elsewhere.
* He reassures the magistrate M. Othon, who is worried about the rats.
* Dr. Rieux's mother arrives to stay with him.
* Journalist Raymond Rambert calls on Rieux .
* The concierge becomes very ill abd dies in hospital.
* Dr. Rieux is called out by Joseph Grand, who has prevented the hanging suicide of his neighbor, M. Cottard.
* The rats disappear.
Part 1: Chapter 3
* The plague spreads.
* There is panic in Oran.
* Dr. Rieux asks Jean Tarrou to keep a journal to document the plague.
* Tarrou's journal gives information about Rieux.
Part 1: Chapter 4
* Cottard is questioned about his suicide attempt.
* Rieux describes his treatment of plague victims...
This section contains 1,806 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)