Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Part 1: Chapter 1 Abstract
* The Algerian/French port of Oran is described.
* The story's narrator is introduced.
Part 1: Chapter 2 Abstract
* Dr. Bernard Rieux finds a dead rat in his apartment building and asks the concierge to dispose of it.
* Dr. Rieux's wife leaves the city for tuberculosis treatment elsewhere.
* He reassures the magistrate M. Othon, who is...
This section contains 1,928 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)