|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first schoolhouses usually had nothing more than a stove and a __________________.
2. Which of the following might have served as a church in early frontier life?
3. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders did not like cowboys coming through their territory?
4. What was an issue of constant tension in Kansas from its very beginning?
5. What location in a frontier town was popular as a rest stop for travelers?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the local newspaper in a frontier town. What types of information were usually included in an issue? How did the nature and tone of newspapers change as communities grew and politics reared its ugly head?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of religion on the Kansas prairie. Was there an increase in religious life because just living on the prairie was such a trying experience? What were the primary religions represented on the Kansas frontier?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in frontier life in 19th century Kansas. How were gender roles blurred during this period of time in Kansas? What lessons did women learn about themselves as they carved lives for their families out of the sod and hills of the prairie?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)