|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the Kansas town of Osawatomie attacked?
2. What document gave each territory the right to decide slavery for itself?
3. What was distinctive about Susannah Medora Salter's election?
4. In what year was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor of a Kansas town?
5. Why were inns hard to maintain on the frontier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What nationalities of immigrants moved into Kansas during the pioneer days?
2. During what years were cowboys prominent on the frontier and why were they first organized?
3. Who was William C. Quantrill and what is he famous for during the Civil War?
4. How were towns established on the frontier?
5. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
6. What role did a hotel or inn play in a frontier town and what were some of the challenges in running such a business?
7. What role did religion play in the lives of the homesteaders and which denominations were primarily represented?
8. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
9. Describe a school environment in a woman's home.
10. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain law and order on the Kansas frontier. What were some of the typical crimes committed? What was considered to be the worst offense on the prairie? What was the usual punishment for this offense? How were prisoners detained in such primitive environments?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the methods by which prairie women would obtain their medicines. What other medical tools did they fashion out of what they had? How do those methods compare to alternative medicines today?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of religion on the Kansas prairie. Was there an increase in religious life because just living on the prairie was such a trying experience? What were the primary religions represented on the Kansas frontier?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)