|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the frontier became settled and a new society emerged, there was a need for _______________.
2. How much was the average pay for a month's work on a cattle drive?
3. Which of the following towns sprang up around the cattle drive business?
4. Why were men not attracted to frontier teaching positions?
5. Which of the following did the cowboys do in town once the cattle drive was over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the slavery issue in Kansas and what the Kansas-Nebraska Ace of 1854 decided.
2. In what year did women get the right to vote in federal elections and where did Kansas fall in the progression of states to grant this right?
3. Who was John Brown and what was his role in the slavery issue in Kansas?
4. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
5. What nationalities of immigrants moved into Kansas during the pioneer days?
6. What was the most popular immigrant community in Kansas and what eventually happened to the town and its founder?
7. In what woman's issue was Kansas one of the most progressive states in the Union?
8. Describe the teaching environment in one of the first constructed schoolhouses.
9. What was the role of the early newspapers established in Kansas?
10. When was Kansas officially declared a state and how long had the process taken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the influx of immigrants to the Kansas frontier. For what reasons did they leave their homes? What special challenges did they experience in homesteading in Kansas that Americans did not experience? How readily accepted were the immigrants by the established settlers in Kansas?
Essay Topic 2
Cowboys and cattle drives have a lasting impression on American culture yet they were active for only about a 20-year period. What was the purpose of a cattle drive? How was a cattle drive structured? Who were the personnel included on a cattle drive? What were the advantages and disadvantages of cattle drives to the Kansas homesteaders?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how a frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)