|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What business became the hub of the frontier town?
2. What movement did Kansas participate in to help runaway slaves?
3. What was one of the most serious crimes on the frontier?
4. Frontier towns sprung up near major trails and ____________________.
5. In which of the following areas did women gain more influence toward the end of the pioneer period?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the role of the early newspapers established in Kansas?
2. What was the most popular immigrant community in Kansas and what eventually happened to the town and its founder?
3. What was the process that ultimately led to women's voting rights on the city level?
4. What types of businesses were lured to towns and how permanent were these new communities?
5. In what year did women get the right to vote in federal elections and where did Kansas fall in the progression of states to grant this right?
6. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
7. Who was John Brown and what was his role in the slavery issue in Kansas?
8. Who was Carry Nation and for what is she famous?
9. Who was Susannah Medora Salter and for what is she famous?
10. When was Kansas officially declared a state and how long had the process taken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the early churches in frontier Kansas. How were they constructed. How were they furnished? What types of buildings served as churches before dedicated structures could be constructed?
Essay Topic 2
Cowboys and cattle drives have a lasting impression on American culture yet they were active for only about a 20-year period. What was the purpose of a cattle drive? How was a cattle drive structured? Who were the personnel included on a cattle drive? What were the advantages and disadvantages of cattle drives to the Kansas homesteaders?
Essay Topic 3
Name at least three environmental catastrophes that plagued the Kansas homesteaders. Then cite the reasons why each catastrophe was so devastating to the pioneers. If there were any preventative measures employed by the pioneers, state those also in your answer.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)