|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage of the adult male population of Kansas joined the Union army when the Civil War came?
2. The first schoolhouses usually had nothing more than a stove and a __________________.
3. In which of the following areas did women gain more influence toward the end of the pioneer period?
4. Which of the following was a basic business for a frontier town?
5. What location in a frontier town was popular as a rest stop for travelers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the role of the prairie women in regard to education?
2. What was the role of the early newspapers established in Kansas?
3. What issue united women as they began to get more of a voice in governmental, moral and social issues?
4. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
5. What role did religion play in the lives of the homesteaders and which denominations were primarily represented?
6. Who was Carry Nation and for what is she famous?
7. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
8. Who was Susannah Medora Salter and for what is she famous?
9. Why were cowboys and cattle drives both a blessing and a curse to pioneer families?
10. During what years were cowboys prominent on the frontier and why were they first organized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain law and order on the Kansas frontier. What were some of the typical crimes committed? What was considered to be the worst offense on the prairie? What was the usual punishment for this offense? How were prisoners detained in such primitive environments?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the early schoolhouses in frontier Kansas. How were they usually constructed? How were they furnished? How were they an improvement upon home schooling efforts?
Essay Topic 3
Why were social visits so welcome among the Kansas homesteaders? What was the nature of a typical social call from one family on another? What were some of the social events held so that groups of homesteaders could meet and form friendships? What were the usual activities that would occur at these events?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)