|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In prairie schools at a teacher's home the same material would be taught to children of all ages and there were no _____________.
2. In what year did Kansas decide to become a state?
3. William C. Quantrill's most famous exploit against a Federal prison left 200 buildings in ruins and killed _______ people.
4. Who was the legendary abolitionist who waged war against pro-slavery towns and groups in Kansas?
5. In what type of elections were women given the right to vote in 1861?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the process that ultimately led to women's voting rights on the city level?
2. Why were cowboys and cattle drives both a blessing and a curse to pioneer families?
3. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
4. Explain the slavery issue in Kansas and what the Kansas-Nebraska Ace of 1854 decided.
5. How were towns established on the frontier?
6. What was the most popular immigrant community in Kansas and what eventually happened to the town and its founder?
7. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
8. What functions did a general store have in a frontier town and what role did women play in these establishments?
9. What role did a hotel or inn play in a frontier town and what were some of the challenges in running such a business?
10. In what woman's issue was Kansas one of the most progressive states in the Union?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name at least three environmental catastrophes that plagued the Kansas homesteaders. Then cite the reasons why each catastrophe was so devastating to the pioneers. If there were any preventative measures employed by the pioneers, state those also in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What positions other than wife and mother did most prairie women hold? What was expected of a prairie woman by others? What expectations did she place on herself? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain law and order on the Kansas frontier. What were some of the typical crimes committed? What was considered to be the worst offense on the prairie? What was the usual punishment for this offense? How were prisoners detained in such primitive environments?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)