|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of the most serious crimes on the frontier?
2. Why were meat supplies low in the East?
3. In what year was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor of a Kansas town?
4. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders did not like cowboys coming through their territory?
5. Why were cattle driven to Kansas and points East?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Carry Nation and for what is she famous?
2. What was considered to be one of the worst crimes on the frontier and how were criminals punished?
3. What was the most popular immigrant community in Kansas and what eventually happened to the town and its founder?
4. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
5. What was the role of the prairie women in regard to education?
6. Why were cowboys and cattle drives both a blessing and a curse to pioneer families?
7. What was meant by a preacher who was a "circuit rider"?
8. How would the pioneers fund the building of new churches and how were they built and furnished?
9. In what woman's issue was Kansas one of the most progressive states in the Union?
10. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What positions other than wife and mother did most prairie women hold? What was expected of a prairie woman by others? What expectations did she place on herself? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of religion on the Kansas prairie. Was there an increase in religious life because just living on the prairie was such a trying experience? What were the primary religions represented on the Kansas frontier?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the early schoolhouses in frontier Kansas. How were they usually constructed? How were they furnished? How were they an improvement upon home schooling efforts?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)