|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders liked cowboys coming through their territory?
2. Which of the following was true for most frontier hotels?
3. What business became the hub of the frontier town?
4. What did speculators offer businesses to come to town?
5. What weapon was Carry Nation notorious for using?
Short Essay Questions
1. What functions did a general store have in a frontier town and what role did women play in these establishments?
2. What issue united women as they began to get more of a voice in governmental, moral and social issues?
3. When was Kansas officially declared a state and how long had the process taken?
4. What nationalities of immigrants moved into Kansas during the pioneer days?
5. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
6. In what woman's issue was Kansas one of the most progressive states in the Union?
7. Who was Carry Nation and for what is she famous?
8. During what years were cowboys prominent on the frontier and why were they first organized?
9. What was meant by a preacher who was a "circuit rider"?
10. Describe a school environment in a woman's home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the process of breaking ground and planting crops. Which crops were experimented with by the homesteaders? Which crops became the staples for Kansas homesteaders? Are those crops the primary crops for Kansas yet today?
Essay Topic 2
Name at least three environmental catastrophes that plagued the Kansas homesteaders. Then cite the reasons why each catastrophe was so devastating to the pioneers. If there were any preventative measures employed by the pioneers, state those also in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the early schoolhouses in frontier Kansas. How were they usually constructed? How were they furnished? How were they an improvement upon home schooling efforts?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)