|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kansas was predominantly ______________ at this time.
2. In addition to temperance what other issue was important to Kansas women in the late 1850s?
3. Where did the cook feed the men on a cattle drive?
4. What was the most famous immigrant community in Kansas?
5. In what type of elections were women given the right to vote in 1861?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issue united women as they began to get more of a voice in governmental, moral and social issues?
2. Describe the teaching environment in one of the first constructed schoolhouses.
3. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
4. In what year did women get the right to vote in federal elections and where did Kansas fall in the progression of states to grant this right?
5. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
6. What was the role of the early newspapers established in Kansas?
7. Describe a school environment in a woman's home.
8. How were towns established on the frontier?
9. What role did a hotel or inn play in a frontier town and what were some of the challenges in running such a business?
10. What functions did a general store have in a frontier town and what role did women play in these establishments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the influx of immigrants to the Kansas frontier. For what reasons did they leave their homes? What special challenges did they experience in homesteading in Kansas that Americans did not experience? How readily accepted were the immigrants by the established settlers in Kansas?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the process of breaking ground and planting crops. Which crops were experimented with by the homesteaders? Which crops became the staples for Kansas homesteaders? Are those crops the primary crops for Kansas yet today?
Essay Topic 3
What role did the Homestead Act of 1862 play in the displacement of Native Americans in Kansas? In what way did the U.S. government compensate the Native Americans for their land? Did the Native Americans fully grasp the nature of the treaties? Explain the hostilities that emerged as a result of the betrayal of the U.S. government.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)