|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Children had to spread their time between school and _____________.
2. Why were cattle driven to Kansas and points East?
3. Professional teachers would sometimes supplement their meager income by ______________________.
4. What did speculators offer businesses to come to town?
5. Who was the most notorious leader of the guerilla warfare Confederates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
2. How would the pioneers fund the building of new churches and how were they built and furnished?
3. What role did a hotel or inn play in a frontier town and what were some of the challenges in running such a business?
4. Why were cowboys and cattle drives both a blessing and a curse to pioneer families?
5. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
6. What was the role of the early newspapers established in Kansas?
7. Who was Carry Nation and for what is she famous?
8. What functions did a general store have in a frontier town and what role did women play in these establishments?
9. Describe a school environment in a woman's home.
10. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain law and order on the Kansas frontier. What were some of the typical crimes committed? What was considered to be the worst offense on the prairie? What was the usual punishment for this offense? How were prisoners detained in such primitive environments?
Essay Topic 2
Describe holidays on the Kansas prairie. What was the favorite holiday of the homesteaders? How did they celebrate it? How were these days different from other social events? What traditions did the prairie women try to hold on to from their lives back East?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the early schoolhouses in frontier Kansas. How were they usually constructed? How were they furnished? How were they an improvement upon home schooling efforts?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)