|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When newspapers grew they became more subjective and filled with _______________.
2. In what year did Kansas women win the federal right to vote?
3. How many people comprised an average School Board?
4. What movement did Kansas participate in to help runaway slaves?
5. One way that families made money to fund a church was __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
2. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
3. Who was William C. Quantrill and what is he famous for during the Civil War?
4. Explain the slavery issue in Kansas and what the Kansas-Nebraska Ace of 1854 decided.
5. In what year did women get the right to vote in federal elections and where did Kansas fall in the progression of states to grant this right?
6. In what woman's issue was Kansas one of the most progressive states in the Union?
7. Who was John Brown and what was his role in the slavery issue in Kansas?
8. Who was Carry Nation and for what is she famous?
9. What role did religion play in the lives of the homesteaders and which denominations were primarily represented?
10. Describe the teaching environment in one of the first constructed schoolhouses.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the early schoolhouses in frontier Kansas. How were they usually constructed? How were they furnished? How were they an improvement upon home schooling efforts?
Essay Topic 2
Cowboys and cattle drives have a lasting impression on American culture yet they were active for only about a 20-year period. What was the purpose of a cattle drive? How was a cattle drive structured? Who were the personnel included on a cattle drive? What were the advantages and disadvantages of cattle drives to the Kansas homesteaders?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how a frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)