|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many English people were attracted to settle in Victoria?
2. Which of the following towns sprang up around the cattle drive business?
3. In what year was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor of a Kansas town?
4. One way that families made money to fund a church was __________________.
5. How much was the average pay for a month's work on a cattle drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
2. What was the role of the early newspapers established in Kansas?
3. When was Kansas officially declared a state and how long had the process taken?
4. How would the pioneers fund the building of new churches and how were they built and furnished?
5. In what year did women get the right to vote in federal elections and where did Kansas fall in the progression of states to grant this right?
6. Why were cowboys and cattle drives both a blessing and a curse to pioneer families?
7. What was considered to be one of the worst crimes on the frontier and how were criminals punished?
8. What role did religion play in the lives of the homesteaders and which denominations were primarily represented?
9. What functions did a general store have in a frontier town and what role did women play in these establishments?
10. What was meant by a preacher who was a "circuit rider"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the early schoolhouses in frontier Kansas. How were they usually constructed? How were they furnished? How were they an improvement upon home schooling efforts?
Essay Topic 2
Cowboys and cattle drives have a lasting impression on American culture yet they were active for only about a 20-year period. What was the purpose of a cattle drive? How was a cattle drive structured? Who were the personnel included on a cattle drive? What were the advantages and disadvantages of cattle drives to the Kansas homesteaders?
Essay Topic 3
Explain law and order on the Kansas frontier. What were some of the typical crimes committed? What was considered to be the worst offense on the prairie? What was the usual punishment for this offense? How were prisoners detained in such primitive environments?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)