|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If a town did not have a schoolhouse, where would the teacher hold class?
2. Children had to spread their time between school and _____________.
3. What document gave each territory the right to decide slavery for itself?
4. Some of the Kansas soldiers went east and some _____________________.
5. From which of the following did teachers teach in frontier schools?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would the pioneers fund the building of new churches and how were they built and furnished?
2. In what year did women get the right to vote in federal elections and where did Kansas fall in the progression of states to grant this right?
3. How were towns established on the frontier?
4. What types of businesses were lured to towns and how permanent were these new communities?
5. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
6. In what woman's issue was Kansas one of the most progressive states in the Union?
7. Who was Susannah Medora Salter and for what is she famous?
8. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
9. What was meant by a preacher who was a "circuit rider"?
10. Why were cowboys and cattle drives both a blessing and a curse to pioneer families?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain law and order on the Kansas frontier. What were some of the typical crimes committed? What was considered to be the worst offense on the prairie? What was the usual punishment for this offense? How were prisoners detained in such primitive environments?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in frontier life in 19th century Kansas. How were gender roles blurred during this period of time in Kansas? What lessons did women learn about themselves as they carved lives for their families out of the sod and hills of the prairie?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of religion on the Kansas prairie. Was there an increase in religious life because just living on the prairie was such a trying experience? What were the primary religions represented on the Kansas frontier?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)