|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what town was Kansas' first woman's suffrage organization created?
2. In what type of elections were women given the right to vote in 1861?
3. Which of the following meant the end to open range cattle drives?
4. Which of the following was true for most frontier hotels?
5. In what Kansas town was Susannah Medora Salter elected mayor?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what year did women get the right to vote in federal elections and where did Kansas fall in the progression of states to grant this right?
2. What nationalities of immigrants moved into Kansas during the pioneer days?
3. In what woman's issue was Kansas one of the most progressive states in the Union?
4. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
5. Describe the teaching environment in one of the first constructed schoolhouses.
6. Who was William C. Quantrill and what is he famous for during the Civil War?
7. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
8. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
9. What role did a hotel or inn play in a frontier town and what were some of the challenges in running such a business?
10. What functions did a general store have in a frontier town and what role did women play in these establishments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why were social visits so welcome among the Kansas homesteaders? What was the nature of a typical social call from one family on another? What were some of the social events held so that groups of homesteaders could meet and form friendships? What were the usual activities that would occur at these events?
Essay Topic 2
What role did the Homestead Act of 1862 play in the displacement of Native Americans in Kansas? In what way did the U.S. government compensate the Native Americans for their land? Did the Native Americans fully grasp the nature of the treaties? Explain the hostilities that emerged as a result of the betrayal of the U.S. government.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the process of creating a new garment on the Kansas frontier. What role did buffalo and other animal skins play in pioneer clothing? Who was primarily responsible for the family's clothing? What was the method of cleaning clothes?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)