|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The nature of a town could be changed with diverted railroad traffic or _____________________.
2. One way that families made money to fund a church was __________________.
3. What organization initiated real change in the temperance movement in Kansas?
4. What percentage of the adult male population of Kansas joined the Union army when the Civil War came?
5. Which of the following might have served as a church in early frontier life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Susannah Medora Salter and for what is she famous?
2. How would the pioneers fund the building of new churches and how were they built and furnished?
3. What role did religion play in the lives of the homesteaders and which denominations were primarily represented?
4. Who was William C. Quantrill and what is he famous for during the Civil War?
5. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
6. Describe the teaching environment in one of the first constructed schoolhouses.
7. What was the role of the prairie women in regard to education?
8. Who was John Brown and what was his role in the slavery issue in Kansas?
9. What was the most popular immigrant community in Kansas and what eventually happened to the town and its founder?
10. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe holidays on the Kansas prairie. What was the favorite holiday of the homesteaders? How did they celebrate it? How were these days different from other social events? What traditions did the prairie women try to hold on to from their lives back East?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in frontier life in 19th century Kansas. How were gender roles blurred during this period of time in Kansas? What lessons did women learn about themselves as they carved lives for their families out of the sod and hills of the prairie?
Essay Topic 3
What role did Kansas play in the slavery issue prior to the Civil War? What is meant by the term "Bleeding Kansas" to note this period in the state's history? What side did Kansas join during the Civil War? Why?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)