|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. General stores also served as _____________.
2. How much was the average pay for a month's work on a cattle drive?
3. What was the minimum acreage of dedicated township to establish a town?
4. What was the first issue to unite many women in Kansas?
5. Which group fought fiercely for Kansas in the slavery issue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how a frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the process of breaking ground and planting crops. Which crops were experimented with by the homesteaders? Which crops became the staples for Kansas homesteaders? Are those crops the primary crops for Kansas yet today?
Essay Topic 3
What role did the Homestead Act of 1862 play in the displacement of Native Americans in Kansas? In what way did the U.S. government compensate the Native Americans for their land? Did the Native Americans fully grasp the nature of the treaties? Explain the hostilities that emerged as a result of the betrayal of the U.S. government.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)