|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the frontier circuit preacher supplement his meager income?
2. Who was the prohibitionist who introduced legislation to prohibit the sale of alcohol?
3. For the most part there was no _____________ in Kansas, especially by the start of the Civil War.
4. What was the group that wanted to end slavery?
5. In what year did Kansas women win the right to vote in city elections?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
2. What was considered to be one of the worst crimes on the frontier and how were criminals punished?
3. Who was William C. Quantrill and what is he famous for during the Civil War?
4. Who was Carry Nation and for what is she famous?
5. What role did a hotel or inn play in a frontier town and what were some of the challenges in running such a business?
6. Who was John Brown and what was his role in the slavery issue in Kansas?
7. How would the pioneers fund the building of new churches and how were they built and furnished?
8. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
9. What nationalities of immigrants moved into Kansas during the pioneer days?
10. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain law and order on the Kansas frontier. What were some of the typical crimes committed? What was considered to be the worst offense on the prairie? What was the usual punishment for this offense? How were prisoners detained in such primitive environments?
Essay Topic 2
Name at least three environmental catastrophes that plagued the Kansas homesteaders. Then cite the reasons why each catastrophe was so devastating to the pioneers. If there were any preventative measures employed by the pioneers, state those also in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Name the three most popular types of homes built by the Kansas homesteaders. What were the determining factors in choosing the type of home to build? What were the disadvantages and advantages of each type?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)