|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Kansas women win the right to vote in city elections?
2. In what year did Kansas decide to become a state?
3. In what year was a constitutional amendment introduced to give women the right to vote?
4. Professional teachers would sometimes supplement their meager income by ______________________.
5. What did speculators offer businesses to come to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was John Brown and what was his role in the slavery issue in Kansas?
2. When was Kansas officially declared a state and how long had the process taken?
3. What nationalities of immigrants moved into Kansas during the pioneer days?
4. In what year did women get the right to vote in federal elections and where did Kansas fall in the progression of states to grant this right?
5. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
6. During what years were cowboys prominent on the frontier and why were they first organized?
7. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
8. What functions did a general store have in a frontier town and what role did women play in these establishments?
9. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
10. Who was William C. Quantrill and what is he famous for during the Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of religion on the Kansas prairie. Was there an increase in religious life because just living on the prairie was such a trying experience? What were the primary religions represented on the Kansas frontier?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how a frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the early churches in frontier Kansas. How were they constructed. How were they furnished? What types of buildings served as churches before dedicated structures could be constructed?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)