|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following served as furnishings in early frontier churches?
2. Which of the following did the school districts control?
3. Why were cattle driven to Kansas and points East?
4. Who was the most notorious leader of the guerilla warfare Confederates?
5. What was Carry Nation's rallying cry as she wrecked saloons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
2. What was the role of the early newspapers established in Kansas?
3. What was the most popular immigrant community in Kansas and what eventually happened to the town and its founder?
4. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
5. What functions did a general store have in a frontier town and what role did women play in these establishments?
6. What was the process that ultimately led to women's voting rights on the city level?
7. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
8. What was considered to be one of the worst crimes on the frontier and how were criminals punished?
9. Who was John Brown and what was his role in the slavery issue in Kansas?
10. What was meant by a preacher who was a "circuit rider"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the early schoolhouses in frontier Kansas. How were they usually constructed? How were they furnished? How were they an improvement upon home schooling efforts?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of the local newspaper in a frontier town. What types of information were usually included in an issue? How did the nature and tone of newspapers change as communities grew and politics reared its ugly head?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how a frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)