|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kansas was the ___________ state in the union to grant women the right to vote in federal elections.
2. People of which nationality immigrated to settle in Kansas?
3. In what year did Kansas decide to become a state?
4. Who was the most notorious leader of the guerilla warfare Confederates?
5. If a frontier town didn't have a jail, a prisoner might be locked up in __________________.
Essay Topic 1
Cowboys and cattle drives have a lasting impression on American culture yet they were active for only about a 20-year period. What was the purpose of a cattle drive? How was a cattle drive structured? Who were the personnel included on a cattle drive? What were the advantages and disadvantages of cattle drives to the Kansas homesteaders?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how a frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the local newspaper in a frontier town. What types of information were usually included in an issue? How did the nature and tone of newspapers change as communities grew and politics reared its ugly head?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)