|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For the most part there was no _____________ in Kansas, especially by the start of the Civil War.
2. Which of the following meant the end to open range cattle drives?
3. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders liked cowboys coming through their territory?
4. People of which nationality immigrated to settle in Kansas?
5. What was the most famous immigrant community in Kansas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the slavery issue in Kansas and what the Kansas-Nebraska Ace of 1854 decided.
2. What was the role of the early newspapers established in Kansas?
3. Describe a school environment in a woman's home.
4. When was Kansas officially declared a state and how long had the process taken?
5. Who was Carry Nation and for what is she famous?
6. How were towns established on the frontier?
7. Who was William C. Quantrill and what is he famous for during the Civil War?
8. Why were cowboys and cattle drives both a blessing and a curse to pioneer families?
9. What types of businesses were lured to towns and how permanent were these new communities?
10. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain law and order on the Kansas frontier. What were some of the typical crimes committed? What was considered to be the worst offense on the prairie? What was the usual punishment for this offense? How were prisoners detained in such primitive environments?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how a frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
Essay Topic 3
What role did the Homestead Act of 1862 play in the displacement of Native Americans in Kansas? In what way did the U.S. government compensate the Native Americans for their land? Did the Native Americans fully grasp the nature of the treaties? Explain the hostilities that emerged as a result of the betrayal of the U.S. government.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)