|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the prohibitionist who introduced legislation to prohibit the sale of alcohol?
2. Who was the most notorious leader of the guerilla warfare Confederates?
3. The majority of prairie teachers were _________________.
4. If a town did not have a schoolhouse, where would the teacher hold class?
5. What was an issue of constant tension in Kansas from its very beginning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
2. In what year did women get the right to vote in federal elections and where did Kansas fall in the progression of states to grant this right?
3. How would the pioneers fund the building of new churches and how were they built and furnished?
4. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
5. What was the role of the early newspapers established in Kansas?
6. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
7. Who was Carry Nation and for what is she famous?
8. Who was Susannah Medora Salter and for what is she famous?
9. Who was William C. Quantrill and what is he famous for during the Civil War?
10. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the early schoolhouses in frontier Kansas. How were they usually constructed? How were they furnished? How were they an improvement upon home schooling efforts?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the early churches in frontier Kansas. How were they constructed. How were they furnished? What types of buildings served as churches before dedicated structures could be constructed?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how a frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)