|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What invention in the early 1880s helped the homesteaders protect themselves from cattle drives?
2. Which of the following did the school districts control?
3. What is one of the reasons that homesteaders liked cowboys coming through their territory?
4. Children had to spread their time between school and _____________.
5. Where did the cook feed the men on a cattle drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was John Brown and what was his role in the slavery issue in Kansas?
2. When was Kansas officially declared a state and how long had the process taken?
3. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
4. How would the pioneers fund the building of new churches and how were they built and furnished?
5. What was the role of the prairie women in regard to education?
6. Who was Susannah Medora Salter and for what is she famous?
7. Describe a school environment in a woman's home.
8. Who was Carry Nation and for what is she famous?
9. What nationalities of immigrants moved into Kansas during the pioneer days?
10. In what woman's issue was Kansas one of the most progressive states in the Union?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain law and order on the Kansas frontier. What were some of the typical crimes committed? What was considered to be the worst offense on the prairie? What was the usual punishment for this offense? How were prisoners detained in such primitive environments?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the methods by which prairie women would obtain their medicines. What other medical tools did they fashion out of what they had? How do those methods compare to alternative medicines today?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the early churches in frontier Kansas. How were they constructed. How were they furnished? What types of buildings served as churches before dedicated structures could be constructed?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)