|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the Kansas-Nebraska Act passed?
2. Occasional skirmishes perpetuated the myth of the Native Americans as ________________.
3. What was the most crucial component for a homestead?
4. Native Americans would often come uninvited into the settlers' homes and marvel at plates and __________________.
5. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain "water witching."
2. What was the pioneer family's priority after establishing its homestead?
3. What were the sources of hostility between the Native Americans and the homesteaders?
4. What were the two major government initiatives that forced Native Americans out of Kansas and where did they go?
5. What crops were the mainstays of Kansas crops and what else did the families eat?
6. What behavior of the Native Americans would catch the homesteaders off guard in their homes?
7. Describe what the pioneers would do on their favorite holiday.
8. Explain why pregnancy and childbirth were especially trying times for women and what complications were there for the newborns?
9. Describe how a winter storm was so incapacitating to prairie families.
10. What type of clothing did the pioneering families wear and how did the women keep them clean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did the Homestead Act of 1862 play in the displacement of Native Americans in Kansas? In what way did the U.S. government compensate the Native Americans for their land? Did the Native Americans fully grasp the nature of the treaties? Explain the hostilities that emerged as a result of the betrayal of the U.S. government.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the process of breaking ground and planting crops. Which crops were experimented with by the homesteaders? Which crops became the staples for Kansas homesteaders? Are those crops the primary crops for Kansas yet today?
Essay Topic 3
Name the three most popular types of homes built by the Kansas homesteaders. What were the determining factors in choosing the type of home to build? What were the disadvantages and advantages of each type?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)