|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following would occur on the Fourth of July?
2. Which of the following did the settlers look for in determining where to make their homes?
3. At what distance were horses changed on a stagecoach route?
4. What was the method of transportation chosen by single people or small families to get to Kansas?
5. What was the most-celebrated holiday among prairie families?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the growing United States impact the Native American tribes?
2. What was considered to be one of the worst crimes on the frontier and how were criminals punished?
3. Who was Carry Nation and for what is she famous?
4. In what woman's issue was Kansas one of the most progressive states in the Union?
5. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
6. Explain the slavery issue in Kansas and what the Kansas-Nebraska Ace of 1854 decided.
7. What was the incident at Sand Creek and what resulted from it?
8. Describe the teaching environment in one of the first constructed schoolhouses.
9. What were the sources of hostility between the Native Americans and the homesteaders?
10. What was the priority of the homesteaders upon arriving at their land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did the Homestead Act of 1862 play in the displacement of Native Americans in Kansas? In what way did the U.S. government compensate the Native Americans for their land? Did the Native Americans fully grasp the nature of the treaties? Explain the hostilities that emerged as a result of the betrayal of the U.S. government.
Essay Topic 2
Explain law and order on the Kansas frontier. What were some of the typical crimes committed? What was considered to be the worst offense on the prairie? What was the usual punishment for this offense? How were prisoners detained in such primitive environments?
Essay Topic 3
Name the three most popular types of homes built by the Kansas homesteaders. What were the determining factors in choosing the type of home to build? What were the disadvantages and advantages of each type?
This section contains 1,618 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)