|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a result of the new railroad as well as the Homestead Act of 1862, Native Americans were pushed into the state of _____________.
2. The prairie was usually devoid of trees and ______________.
3. Where did frontier families take shelter during Indian raids?
4. Sarah White and _______________ were two young white women captured by Indians.
5. With which of the following crops did Kansas farmers experiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were Sarah White and Anna Brewster Morgan and why did they gain notoriety?
2. What behavior of the Native Americans would catch the homesteaders off guard in their homes?
3. What was the incident at Sand Creek and what resulted from it?
4. What were the major diseases that plagued the homesteaders and what role did women play in health care?
5. Explain the use of cow and buffalo dung on the prairie.
6. What were the two major government initiatives that forced Native Americans out of Kansas and where did they go?
7. Explain why pregnancy and childbirth were especially trying times for women and what complications were there for the newborns?
8. Prior to the mid 19th century, as what was Kansas known and what happened in 1854 to change that?
9. Explain the roles of children in the prairie family.
10. What crops were the mainstays of Kansas crops and what else did the families eat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did Kansas play in the slavery issue prior to the Civil War? What is meant by the term "Bleeding Kansas" to note this period in the state's history? What side did Kansas join during the Civil War? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Name the three most popular types of homes built by the Kansas homesteaders. What were the determining factors in choosing the type of home to build? What were the disadvantages and advantages of each type?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the influx of immigrants to the Kansas frontier. For what reasons did they leave their homes? What special challenges did they experience in homesteading in Kansas that Americans did not experience? How readily accepted were the immigrants by the established settlers in Kansas?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)