Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Cheyenne chief who led his warriors on a killing spree through Kansas?
2. The disappearance of _______________ made the Native American visits less friendly.
3. Through which of the following did grasshoppers eat?
4. Which of the following describes how Native Americans were viewed by the settlers?
5. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the pioneer family's priority after establishing its homestead?
2. Who was William C. Quantrill and what is he famous for during the Civil War?
3. When was Kansas officially declared a state and how long had the process taken?
4. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
5. Prior to the mid 19th century, as what was Kansas known and what happened in 1854 to change that?
6. Explain why pregnancy and childbirth were especially trying times for women and what complications were there for the newborns?
7. During what years were cowboys prominent on the frontier and why were they first organized?
8. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
9. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
10. What was the incident at Sand Creek and what resulted from it?
Essay Topic 1
Name the three most popular types of homes built by the Kansas homesteaders. What were the determining factors in choosing the type of home to build? What were the disadvantages and advantages of each type?
Essay Topic 2
What role did the Homestead Act of 1862 play in the displacement of Native Americans in Kansas? In what way did the U.S. government compensate the Native Americans for their land? Did the Native Americans fully grasp the nature of the treaties? Explain the hostilities that emerged as a result of the betrayal of the U.S. government.
Essay Topic 3
Explain law and order on the Kansas frontier. What were some of the typical crimes committed? What was considered to be the worst offense on the prairie? What was the usual punishment for this offense? How were prisoners detained in such primitive environments?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)