|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The prairie was usually devoid of trees and ______________.
2. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
3. With which of the following crops did Kansas farmers experiment?
4. Eventually the differences between the Native Americans and the settlers caused ________________ on both sides.
5. Who was the Cheyenne chief who led his warriors on a killing spree through Kansas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the devastation of "The Grasshopper Year" in 1874.
2. What was the incident at Sand Creek and what resulted from it?
3. Why would prairie women suffer bouts of loneliness?
4. What was the priority of the homesteaders upon arriving at their land?
5. What behavior of the Native Americans would catch the homesteaders off guard in their homes?
6. What was the pioneer family's priority after establishing its homestead?
7. How did prairie life put women on equal footing with their husbands in the family dynamic?
8. What were the major diseases that plagued the homesteaders and what role did women play in health care?
9. Who were Sarah White and Anna Brewster Morgan and why did they gain notoriety?
10. How did the growing United States impact the Native American tribes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how a frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the early churches in frontier Kansas. How were they constructed. How were they furnished? What types of buildings served as churches before dedicated structures could be constructed?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the methods by which prairie women would obtain their medicines. What other medical tools did they fashion out of what they had? How do those methods compare to alternative medicines today?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)