|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was true about Anna Brewster Morgan?
2. The western plains Indians were usually _______________.
3. Which of the following did boy children do to help their fathers?
4. Occasional skirmishes perpetuated the myth of the Native Americans as ________________.
5. Which of the following did girl children do to help their mothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a typical picnic for the homesteaders.
2. How would the pioneers fund the building of new churches and how were they built and furnished?
3. Why were cowboys and cattle drives both a blessing and a curse to pioneer families?
4. Who was Carry Nation and for what is she famous?
5. What was meant by a preacher who was a "circuit rider"?
6. What crops were the mainstays of Kansas crops and what else did the families eat?
7. Who were Sarah White and Anna Brewster Morgan and why did they gain notoriety?
8. In what woman's issue was Kansas one of the most progressive states in the Union?
9. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
10. Name the benefits and drawbacks of homesteading in eastern Kansas and western Kansas.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in frontier life in 19th century Kansas. How were gender roles blurred during this period of time in Kansas? What lessons did women learn about themselves as they carved lives for their families out of the sod and hills of the prairie?
Essay Topic 2
Why were social visits so welcome among the Kansas homesteaders? What was the nature of a typical social call from one family on another? What were some of the social events held so that groups of homesteaders could meet and form friendships? What were the usual activities that would occur at these events?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the influx of immigrants to the Kansas frontier. For what reasons did they leave their homes? What special challenges did they experience in homesteading in Kansas that Americans did not experience? How readily accepted were the immigrants by the established settlers in Kansas?
This section contains 1,719 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)