|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was a good place for a man to find a good woman?
2. In the nineteenth century a woman's place was considered to be in ________________.
3. What was the weight of the average sod house?
4. What was the most-celebrated holiday among prairie families?
5. Who cleared paths after major snowstorms?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was a typical social visit between pioneer families and why were the social times so valued?
2. Describe a typical picnic for the homesteaders.
3. What were the two major government initiatives that forced Native Americans out of Kansas and where did they go?
4. Explain why pregnancy and childbirth were especially trying times for women and what complications were there for the newborns?
5. Why would prairie women suffer bouts of loneliness?
6. What were the sources of hostility between the Native Americans and the homesteaders?
7. What behavior of the Native Americans would catch the homesteaders off guard in their homes?
8. Name the benefits and drawbacks of homesteading in eastern Kansas and western Kansas.
9. What crops were the mainstays of Kansas crops and what else did the families eat?
10. When did the railroad become a viable method of transportation west?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why the accounts of the Kansas pioneer women had been overlooked for so many years. What value do they have for historians and students today? What value will you take away from this literary experience? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Why were social visits so welcome among the Kansas homesteaders? What was the nature of a typical social call from one family on another? What were some of the social events held so that groups of homesteaders could meet and form friendships? What were the usual activities that would occur at these events?
Essay Topic 3
Name the three most popular types of homes built by the Kansas homesteaders. What were the determining factors in choosing the type of home to build? What were the disadvantages and advantages of each type?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)