|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the prairie women mainly do the family laundry?
2. Small animals like ducks and __________ would provide fascination for prairie children.
3. What was known to batter crops during the summer months?
4. With what did the settlers beat back fires from their houses?
5. Hundreds of ______________ Indians were slaughtered by the U.S. government in 1864.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the major diseases that plagued the homesteaders and what role did women play in health care?
2. When did the railroad become a viable method of transportation west?
3. Explain "water witching."
4. What natural threats were ever present for prairie families?
5. Name the benefits and drawbacks of homesteading in eastern Kansas and western Kansas.
6. What crops were the mainstays of Kansas crops and what else did the families eat?
7. Describe the devastation of "The Grasshopper Year" in 1874.
8. What were some of the methods of transportation for people moving west to Kansas?
9. Describe what the pioneers would do on their favorite holiday.
10. What behavior of the Native Americans would catch the homesteaders off guard in their homes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain law and order on the Kansas frontier. What were some of the typical crimes committed? What was considered to be the worst offense on the prairie? What was the usual punishment for this offense? How were prisoners detained in such primitive environments?
Essay Topic 2
Name the three most popular types of homes built by the Kansas homesteaders. What were the determining factors in choosing the type of home to build? What were the disadvantages and advantages of each type?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how a frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)