Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Cheyenne chief who led his warriors on a killing spree through Kansas?
2. The disappearance of _______________ made the Native American visits less friendly.
3. Through which of the following did grasshoppers eat?
4. Which of the following describes how Native Americans were viewed by the settlers?
5. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the pioneer family's priority after establishing its homestead?
2. Who was William C. Quantrill and what is he famous for during the Civil War?
3. When was Kansas officially declared a state and how long had the process taken?
4. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
5. Prior to the mid 19th century, as what was Kansas known and what happened in 1854 to change that?
6. Explain why pregnancy and childbirth were especially trying times for women and what complications were there for the newborns?
7. During what years were cowboys prominent on the frontier and why were they first organized?
8. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
9. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
10. What was the incident at Sand Creek and what resulted from it?
Explain the role of women in frontier life in 19th century Kansas. How were gender roles blurred during this period of time in Kansas? What lessons did women learn about themselves as they carved lives for their families out of the sod and hills of the prairie?
Describe the methods by which prairie women would obtain their medicines. What other medical tools did they fashion out of what they had? How do those methods compare to alternative medicines today?
Name at least three environmental catastrophes that plagued the Kansas homesteaders. Then cite the reasons why each catastrophe was so devastating to the pioneers. If there were any preventative measures employed by the pioneers, state those also in your answer.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)