|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cleared paths after major snowstorms?
2. Which of the following was a type of house built by the new Kansas settlers?
3. The eastern and central plains Indians were usually _______________.
4. Picnics would most often occur on Saturday or ______________.
5. Branches were often whittled into dolls and _____________ for children's toys.
Short Essay Questions
1. What behavior of the Native Americans would catch the homesteaders off guard in their homes?
2. Describe the devastation of "The Grasshopper Year" in 1874.
3. Explain the use of cow and buffalo dung on the prairie.
4. Explain why pregnancy and childbirth were especially trying times for women and what complications were there for the newborns?
5. What was a typical social visit between pioneer families and why were the social times so valued?
6. Describe what the pioneers would do on their favorite holiday.
7. How did prairie life put women on equal footing with their husbands in the family dynamic?
8. What were the major diseases that plagued the homesteaders and what role did women play in health care?
9. What was the pioneer family's priority after establishing its homestead?
10. Who were Sarah White and Anna Brewster Morgan and why did they gain notoriety?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did Kansas play in the slavery issue prior to the Civil War? What is meant by the term "Bleeding Kansas" to note this period in the state's history? What side did Kansas join during the Civil War? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in frontier life in 19th century Kansas. How were gender roles blurred during this period of time in Kansas? What lessons did women learn about themselves as they carved lives for their families out of the sod and hills of the prairie?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how a frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)