|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did boy children do to help their fathers?
2. Some prairie women were called upon to perform minor surgery and to ______________.
3. Why did prairie women tend to do more typically male jobs than before?
4. Who was the main musician at prairie dances?
5. In what year was the Kansas-Nebraska Act passed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the roles of children in the prairie family.
2. What were the sources of hostility between the Native Americans and the homesteaders?
3. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
4. In addition to fires, what other natural disasters did the homesteaders need to fend off?
5. Prior to the mid 19th century, as what was Kansas known and what happened in 1854 to change that?
6. What issue united women as they began to get more of a voice in governmental, moral and social issues?
7. What did pioneer children do to amuse themselves?
8. Explain "water witching."
9. Who was Carry Nation and for what is she famous?
10. What type of clothing did the pioneering families wear and how did the women keep them clean?
Essay Topic 1
What role did the Homestead Act of 1862 play in the displacement of Native Americans in Kansas? In what way did the U.S. government compensate the Native Americans for their land? Did the Native Americans fully grasp the nature of the treaties? Explain the hostilities that emerged as a result of the betrayal of the U.S. government.
Essay Topic 2
Name at least three environmental catastrophes that plagued the Kansas homesteaders. Then cite the reasons why each catastrophe was so devastating to the pioneers. If there were any preventative measures employed by the pioneers, state those also in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of religion on the Kansas prairie. Was there an increase in religious life because just living on the prairie was such a trying experience? What were the primary religions represented on the Kansas frontier?
This section contains 1,632 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)