|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. 1874 was named ___________________ due to crop devastation.
2. Branches were often whittled into dolls and _____________ for children's toys.
3. Which of the following occurred in the Kansas Drought of 1860?
4. In what year were Native American tribes first forcibly forced to move west of the Mississippi River?
5. What was the most crucial component for a homestead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the pioneer family's priority after establishing its homestead?
2. Describe a typical Christmas for a pioneer family.
3. Why would prairie women suffer bouts of loneliness?
4. How did prairie life put women on equal footing with their husbands in the family dynamic?
5. Explain the roles of children in the prairie family.
6. What was a typical social visit between pioneer families and why were the social times so valued?
7. Describe the devastation of "The Grasshopper Year" in 1874.
8. When did the railroad become a viable method of transportation west?
9. What behavior of the Native Americans would catch the homesteaders off guard in their homes?
10. Explain why pregnancy and childbirth were especially trying times for women and what complications were there for the newborns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the process of creating a new garment on the Kansas frontier. What role did buffalo and other animal skins play in pioneer clothing? Who was primarily responsible for the family's clothing? What was the method of cleaning clothes?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the process of breaking ground and planting crops. Which crops were experimented with by the homesteaders? Which crops became the staples for Kansas homesteaders? Are those crops the primary crops for Kansas yet today?
Essay Topic 3
What role did Kansas play in the slavery issue prior to the Civil War? What is meant by the term "Bleeding Kansas" to note this period in the state's history? What side did Kansas join during the Civil War? Why?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)