|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following male tasks did prairie women take on?
2. Through which of the following did grasshoppers eat?
3. How did Santa enter the homes of prairie families on Christmas Eve?
4. How much land did the government promise each Kansas settler?
5. With which of the following crops did Kansas farmers experiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the incident at Sand Creek and what resulted from it?
2. In addition to fires, what other natural disasters did the homesteaders need to fend off?
3. Describe what the pioneers would do on their favorite holiday.
4. Explain the use of cow and buffalo dung on the prairie.
5. Describe a typical picnic for the homesteaders.
6. Name the benefits and drawbacks of homesteading in eastern Kansas and western Kansas.
7. How did the growing United States impact the Native American tribes?
8. When did the railroad become a viable method of transportation west?
9. What crops were the mainstays of Kansas crops and what else did the families eat?
10. Describe a typical Christmas for a pioneer family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name at least three environmental catastrophes that plagued the Kansas homesteaders. Then cite the reasons why each catastrophe was so devastating to the pioneers. If there were any preventative measures employed by the pioneers, state those also in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why the accounts of the Kansas pioneer women had been overlooked for so many years. What value do they have for historians and students today? What value will you take away from this literary experience? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the process of breaking ground and planting crops. Which crops were experimented with by the homesteaders? Which crops became the staples for Kansas homesteaders? Are those crops the primary crops for Kansas yet today?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)