|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With which of the following crops did Kansas farmers experiment?
2. Native Americans would often come uninvited into the settlers' homes and marvel at plates and __________________.
3. Who was the main musician at prairie dances?
4. What was the most valued source of fuel on the prairie?
5. Where did the prairie women mainly do the family laundry?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to fires, what other natural disasters did the homesteaders need to fend off?
2. What did pioneer children do to amuse themselves?
3. Why would prairie women suffer bouts of loneliness?
4. What was a typical social visit between pioneer families and why were the social times so valued?
5. How did the growing United States impact the Native American tribes?
6. What were the sources of hostility between the Native Americans and the homesteaders?
7. Describe a typical Christmas for a pioneer family.
8. What were the major diseases that plagued the homesteaders and what role did women play in health care?
9. What was the pioneer family's priority after establishing its homestead?
10. What natural threats were ever present for prairie families?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in frontier life in 19th century Kansas. How were gender roles blurred during this period of time in Kansas? What lessons did women learn about themselves as they carved lives for their families out of the sod and hills of the prairie?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the early schoolhouses in frontier Kansas. How were they usually constructed? How were they furnished? How were they an improvement upon home schooling efforts?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the methods by which prairie women would obtain their medicines. What other medical tools did they fashion out of what they had? How do those methods compare to alternative medicines today?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)