Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Cheyenne chief who led his warriors on a killing spree through Kansas?
2. The disappearance of _______________ made the Native American visits less friendly.
3. Through which of the following did grasshoppers eat?
4. Which of the following describes how Native Americans were viewed by the settlers?
5. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the pioneer family's priority after establishing its homestead?
2. Who was William C. Quantrill and what is he famous for during the Civil War?
3. When was Kansas officially declared a state and how long had the process taken?
4. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
5. Prior to the mid 19th century, as what was Kansas known and what happened in 1854 to change that?
6. Explain why pregnancy and childbirth were especially trying times for women and what complications were there for the newborns?
7. During what years were cowboys prominent on the frontier and why were they first organized?
8. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
9. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
10. What was the incident at Sand Creek and what resulted from it?
Explain the role of the local newspaper in a frontier town. What types of information were usually included in an issue? How did the nature and tone of newspapers change as communities grew and politics reared its ugly head?
Explain the role of religion on the Kansas prairie. Was there an increase in religious life because just living on the prairie was such a trying experience? What were the primary religions represented on the Kansas frontier?
What role did the Homestead Act of 1862 play in the displacement of Native Americans in Kansas? In what way did the U.S. government compensate the Native Americans for their land? Did the Native Americans fully grasp the nature of the treaties? Explain the hostilities that emerged as a result of the betrayal of the U.S. government.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)