|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the Cheyenne chief who led his warriors on a killing spree through Kansas?
(a) Chief Geronimo.
(b) Chief Lame Deer.
(c) Chief Sitting Bull.
(d) Chief Dull Knife.
2. The disappearance of _______________ made the Native American visits less friendly.
3. Through which of the following did grasshoppers eat?
4. Which of the following describes how Native Americans were viewed by the settlers?
5. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was a good place for a man to find a good woman?
2. Which of the following was a drawback to a dugout dwelling?
3. The howl of coyotes and _________ would frighten settlers especially at night.
4. Which of the following could cripple the settlers during the winter?
5. As the U.S. economy and population grew, _______________ were increasingly pushed west.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the pioneer family's priority after establishing its homestead?
2. Who was William C. Quantrill and what is he famous for during the Civil War?
3. When was Kansas officially declared a state and how long had the process taken?
4. Why was the town of Osawatomie attacked by pro-slavery forces in 1856?
5. Prior to the mid 19th century, as what was Kansas known and what happened in 1854 to change that?
6. Explain why pregnancy and childbirth were especially trying times for women and what complications were there for the newborns?
7. During what years were cowboys prominent on the frontier and why were they first organized?
8. What happened in 1867 to spur on the cattle drives and what were some of the towns that emerged around the drives?
9. What was the personnel make up of a cattle drive?
10. What was the incident at Sand Creek and what resulted from it?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)