|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a staple in the Kansas farm family diet?
2. What is the method used to find water in underground springs?
(a) Indian signs.
(c) Plot maps.
(d) Water witching.
3. Which of the following diseases was common among the Kansas settlers?
4. Which of the following did girl children do to help their mothers?
(c) Make potions.
5. Which of the following male tasks did prairie women take on?
(a) Buying seed.
(b) Business meetings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a major occasion for social gatherings among prairie families?
2. With what did the settlers beat back fires from their houses?
3. The prairie was usually devoid of trees and ______________.
4. What was the weight of the average sod house?
5. What lured people from the east to head to Kansas to settle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a typical Christmas for a pioneer family.
2. What were the sources of hostility between the Native Americans and the homesteaders?
3. What behavior of the Native Americans would catch the homesteaders off guard in their homes?
4. Describe what the pioneers would do on their favorite holiday.
5. Describe a typical picnic for the homesteaders.
6. Name the benefits and drawbacks of homesteading in eastern Kansas and western Kansas.
7. How did prairie life put women on equal footing with their husbands in the family dynamic?
8. Explain the use of cow and buffalo dung on the prairie.
9. What was the incident at Sand Creek and what resulted from it?
10. Explain "water witching."
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)