|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the prairie women mainly do the family laundry?
(a) A stream.
(b) A kettle.
(c) A well.
(d) A pond.
2. What was the nickname for sod blocks?
(a) Grass bricks.
(b) Grass stacks.
(c) Prairie manna.
(d) Prairie marble.
3. What was a major occasion for social gatherings among prairie families?
(b) Cabin raisings.
4. Which of the following was a type of house built by the new Kansas settlers?
(a) Stone house.
(b) Log cabin.
(c) Brick house.
(d) Stucco house.
5. Where would a typical dance be held on the prairie?
(b) General store.
(d) Town hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a popular and relatively comfortable mode of transportation to reach Kansas?
2. Native Americans did not regard land as _______________________.
3. What type of animals usually worked the plow?
4. What was the mode of transportation chosen by families to reach Kansas?
5. The howl of coyotes and _________ would frighten settlers especially at night.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were Sarah White and Anna Brewster Morgan and why did they gain notoriety?
2. How did the growing United States impact the Native American tribes?
3. What was the priority of the homesteaders upon arriving at their land?
4. What was the pioneer family's priority after establishing its homestead?
5. What type of clothing did the pioneering families wear and how did the women keep them clean?
6. What were the sources of hostility between the Native Americans and the homesteaders?
7. How did prairie life put women on equal footing with their husbands in the family dynamic?
8. Describe a typical Christmas for a pioneer family.
9. Describe a typical picnic for the homesteaders.
10. Why would prairie women suffer bouts of loneliness?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)