|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prairie families tended to be large because of _______________________.
(a) No birth control.
(b) A high rate of child mortality.
(c) Families needing workers.
(d) The need to gain more land.
2. Who was the Cheyenne chief who led his warriors on a killing spree through Kansas?
(a) Chief Sitting Bull.
(b) Chief Lame Deer.
(c) Chief Geronimo.
(d) Chief Dull Knife.
3. Which of the following adorned the Christmas trees of prairie families?
(c) Candy canes.
4. What would announce that the Fourth of July had arrived?
(a) Bugle blast.
(b) Church bells.
(c) Rifle shots.
(d) Cannon blast.
5. How were land concessions negotiated with the Native Americans?
(b) Military rule.
(c) By force.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much land did the government promise each Kansas settler?
2. What was the most-celebrated holiday among prairie families?
3. What is the method used to find water in underground springs?
4. Hundreds of ______________ Indians were slaughtered by the U.S. government in 1864.
5. Which of the following occurred in the Kansas Drought of 1860?
Short Essay Questions
1. Prior to the mid 19th century, as what was Kansas known and what happened in 1854 to change that?
2. Describe how a winter storm was so incapacitating to prairie families.
3. When did the railroad become a viable method of transportation west?
4. Explain the use of cow and buffalo dung on the prairie.
5. What were the sources of hostility between the Native Americans and the homesteaders?
6. Explain "water witching."
7. What was the incident at Sand Creek and what resulted from it?
8. Describe a typical picnic for the homesteaders.
9. What crops were the mainstays of Kansas crops and what else did the families eat?
10. How did the growing United States impact the Native American tribes?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)