|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many times the prairie could be a/an ____________ place.
2. The disappearance of _______________ made the Native American visits less friendly.
3. Eventually the differences between the Native Americans and the settlers caused ________________ on both sides.
4. Which of the following did the settlers look for in determining where to make their homes?
(b) Fertile soil
(c) Good neighbors.
(d) No neighbors.
5. What was a staple in the Kansas farm family diet?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did prairie women tend to do more typically male jobs than before?
2. What was the weight of the average sod house?
3. Sarah White and _______________ were two young white women captured by Indians.
4. Which of the following was a type of house built by the new Kansas settlers?
5. Branches were often whittled into dolls and _____________ for children's toys.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did prairie life put women on equal footing with their husbands in the family dynamic?
2. How did the growing United States impact the Native American tribes?
3. Who were Sarah White and Anna Brewster Morgan and why did they gain notoriety?
4. What was a typical social visit between pioneer families and why were the social times so valued?
5. Name the benefits and drawbacks of homesteading in eastern Kansas and western Kansas.
6. What was the priority of the homesteaders upon arriving at their land?
7. What behavior of the Native Americans would catch the homesteaders off guard in their homes?
8. Explain why pregnancy and childbirth were especially trying times for women and what complications were there for the newborns?
9. Prior to the mid 19th century, as what was Kansas known and what happened in 1854 to change that?
10. What were the two major government initiatives that forced Native Americans out of Kansas and where did they go?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)