|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many times the prairie could be a/an ____________ place.
2. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
3. Which of the following could cripple the settlers during the winter?
(a) No firewood.
(b) Leaks in sod houses.
(c) Bitter cold.
(d) No food.
4. For how long did the Kansas Drought of 1860 last?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 18 months.
5. Which of the following did girl children do to help their mothers?
(c) Make potions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animals usually worked the plow?
2. Which of the following skills did most prairie women possess?
3. The eastern and central plains Indians were usually _______________.
4. Who was the Cheyenne chief who led his warriors on a killing spree through Kansas?
5. Branches were often whittled into dolls and _____________ for children's toys.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the pioneer family's priority after establishing its homestead?
2. What were the two major government initiatives that forced Native Americans out of Kansas and where did they go?
3. In addition to fires, what other natural disasters did the homesteaders need to fend off?
4. Prior to the mid 19th century, as what was Kansas known and what happened in 1854 to change that?
5. Describe a typical picnic for the homesteaders.
6. What was the incident at Sand Creek and what resulted from it?
7. Describe a typical Christmas for a pioneer family.
8. Describe what the pioneers would do on their favorite holiday.
9. How did prairie life put women on equal footing with their husbands in the family dynamic?
10. How did the growing United States impact the Native American tribes?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)