|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following could cripple the settlers during the winter?
(a) Leaks in sod houses.
(b) No food.
(c) No firewood.
(d) Bitter cold.
2. What was known to batter crops during the summer months?
3. 1874 was named ___________________ due to crop devastation.
(a) The Boll Weevil Year.
(b) The Silent Wheat.
(c) The Dead Corn.
(d) The Grasshopper Year.
4. How were land concessions negotiated with the Native Americans?
(c) By force.
(d) Military rule.
5. Many settlers found strength in ____________ when hardships came their way.
(c) The government.
(d) Each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following diseases was common among the Kansas settlers?
2. Which of the following did girl children do to help their mothers?
3. The eastern and central plains Indians were usually _______________.
4. Where did frontier families take shelter during Indian raids?
5. Corn farmers usually raised a small amount of livestock for food including hogs and ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the use of cow and buffalo dung on the prairie.
2. What was the priority of the homesteaders upon arriving at their land?
3. Describe what the pioneers would do on their favorite holiday.
4. What natural threats were ever present for prairie families?
5. How did the growing United States impact the Native American tribes?
6. Explain "water witching."
7. Explain the roles of children in the prairie family.
8. What was the pioneer family's priority after establishing its homestead?
9. What crops were the mainstays of Kansas crops and what else did the families eat?
10. In addition to fires, what other natural disasters did the homesteaders need to fend off?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)