|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
2. Which of the following occurred in the Kansas Drought of 1860?
(a) Crippled harvests.
(b) Prairie fires.
3. Where did frontier families take shelter during Indian raids?
(a) Their houses.
(b) Underground shelters.
(c) Military forts.
4. What was the most valued source of fuel on the prairie?
(b) Cow dung.
5. What was a constant worry on the prairie?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a favorite recreation for prairie families?
2. What was the most-celebrated holiday among prairie families?
3. What type of animals usually worked the plow?
4. Native Americans did not regard land as _______________________.
5. The western plains Indians were usually _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to fires, what other natural disasters did the homesteaders need to fend off?
2. What did pioneer children do to amuse themselves?
3. How did the growing United States impact the Native American tribes?
4. Describe how a winter storm was so incapacitating to prairie families.
5. Describe a typical picnic for the homesteaders.
6. What were the sources of hostility between the Native Americans and the homesteaders?
7. What were some of the methods of transportation for people moving west to Kansas?
8. What was the pioneer family's priority after establishing its homestead?
9. Explain why pregnancy and childbirth were especially trying times for women and what complications were there for the newborns?
10. What crops were the mainstays of Kansas crops and what else did the families eat?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)