|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following would often result in birth defects or physical handicaps of a newborn baby?
(a) No pre-natal care.
(b) Poor diet
(d) Bad genes.
2. What is the method used to find water in underground springs?
(a) Water witching.
(b) Indian signs.
(c) Plot maps.
3. Corn farmers usually raised a small amount of livestock for food including hogs and ___________.
4. Where did the prairie women mainly do the family laundry?
(a) A stream.
(b) A well.
(c) A pond.
(d) A kettle.
5. Sarah White and _______________ were two young white women captured by Indians.
(a) Lucille Bronson.
(b) Mary McKenna.
(c) Sally Ann Madison.
(d) Anna Brewster Morgan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was true about Anna Brewster Morgan?
2. What was a favorite recreation for prairie families?
3. What became the staple crops for the Kansas farmer?
4. The prairie was usually devoid of trees and ______________.
5. As the U.S. economy and population grew, _______________ were increasingly pushed west.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a typical Christmas for a pioneer family.
2. When did the railroad become a viable method of transportation west?
3. How did the growing United States impact the Native American tribes?
4. Why would prairie women suffer bouts of loneliness?
5. What behavior of the Native Americans would catch the homesteaders off guard in their homes?
6. What was the incident at Sand Creek and what resulted from it?
7. In addition to fires, what other natural disasters did the homesteaders need to fend off?
8. What was the pioneer family's priority after establishing its homestead?
9. Describe what the pioneers would do on their favorite holiday.
10. Name the benefits and drawbacks of homesteading in eastern Kansas and western Kansas.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)