|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was especially valued for their ability to keep out the cold?
(a) Wolf skins.
(b) Buffalo skins.
2. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
3. In 1874, the meat of livestock tasted like ____________ because of consuming so many of them.
4. What type of animals usually worked the plow?
5. What was a major occasion for social gatherings among prairie families?
(a) Cabin raisings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following male tasks did prairie women take on?
2. Sarah White and _______________ were two young white women captured by Indians.
3. What was a staple in the Kansas farm family diet?
4. The howl of coyotes and _________ would frighten settlers especially at night.
5. Which of the following describes how Native Americans were viewed by the settlers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the growing United States impact the Native American tribes?
2. What crops were the mainstays of Kansas crops and what else did the families eat?
3. Why were cowboys and cattle drives both a blessing and a curse to pioneer families?
4. What role did religion play in the lives of the homesteaders and which denominations were primarily represented?
5. What was the process that ultimately led to women's voting rights on the city level?
6. What role did a hotel or inn play in a frontier town and what were some of the challenges in running such a business?
7. When did the railroad become a viable method of transportation west?
8. What functions did a general store have in a frontier town and what role did women play in these establishments?
9. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
10. What was the most popular immigrant community in Kansas and what eventually happened to the town and its founder?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)