|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many settlers found strength in ____________ when hardships came their way.
(a) The government.
(c) Each other.
2. For how long did the Kansas Drought of 1860 last?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 18 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 3 months.
3. With which of the following crops did Kansas farmers experiment?
(d) Soy beans.
4. What would announce that the Fourth of July had arrived?
(a) Cannon blast.
(b) Rifle shots.
(c) Bugle blast.
(d) Church bells.
5. Branches were often whittled into dolls and _____________ for children's toys.
(c) Ball bats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most-celebrated holiday among prairie families?
2. Through which of the following did grasshoppers eat?
3. What was the method of transportation chosen by single people or small families to get to Kansas?
4. Why did prairie women tend to do more typically male jobs than before?
5. Native Americans would often come uninvited into the settlers' homes and marvel at plates and __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the roles of children in the prairie family.
2. What natural threats were ever present for prairie families?
3. Explain "water witching."
4. What was the pioneer family's priority after establishing its homestead?
5. Describe what the pioneers would do on their favorite holiday.
6. What were the major diseases that plagued the homesteaders and what role did women play in health care?
7. In addition to fires, what other natural disasters did the homesteaders need to fend off?
8. How did the growing United States impact the Native American tribes?
9. Explain the use of cow and buffalo dung on the prairie.
10. Explain why pregnancy and childbirth were especially trying times for women and what complications were there for the newborns?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)