|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following adorned the Christmas trees of prairie families?
(a) Candy canes.
2. Eventually the differences between the Native Americans and the settlers caused ________________ on both sides.
3. Why did prairie women tend to do more typically male jobs than before?
(a) To get the homestead started faster.
(b) Shortage of labor.
(c) Their husbands died early.
(d) They signed a contract.
4. With which of the following crops did Kansas farmers experiment?
(c) Soy beans.
5. How were land concessions negotiated with the Native Americans?
(c) Military rule.
(d) By force.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some prairie women were called upon to perform minor surgery and to ______________.
2. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
3. Occasional skirmishes perpetuated the myth of the Native Americans as ________________.
4. Many settlers found strength in ____________ when hardships came their way.
5. Why did streams run brown in Kansas in 1874?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the priority of the homesteaders upon arriving at their land?
2. What was the role of the prairie women in regard to education?
3. What role did a hotel or inn play in a frontier town and what were some of the challenges in running such a business?
4. Explain "water witching."
5. What nationalities of immigrants moved into Kansas during the pioneer days?
6. What was considered to be one of the worst crimes on the frontier and how were criminals punished?
7. Describe how a winter storm was so incapacitating to prairie families.
8. Was slavery a part of life in Kansas prior to the Civil War?
9. What issue united women as they began to get more of a voice in governmental, moral and social issues?
10. What functions did a general store have in a frontier town and what role did women play in these establishments?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)