|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following male tasks did prairie women take on?
(b) Buying seed.
(d) Business meetings.
2. In 1874, the meat of livestock tasted like ____________ because of consuming so many of them.
3. Which of the following was a type of house built by the new Kansas settlers?
(a) Log cabin.
(b) Stone house.
(c) Stucco house.
(d) Brick house.
4. What type of animals usually worked the plow?
5. How were land concessions negotiated with the Native Americans?
(c) By force.
(d) Military rule.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following diseases was common among the Kansas settlers?
2. What kind of plow was used to turn the earth?
3. What was the mode of transportation chosen by families to reach Kansas?
4. Which of the following did girl children do to help their mothers?
5. What was the most valued source of fuel on the prairie?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to fires, what other natural disasters did the homesteaders need to fend off?
2. What natural threats were ever present for prairie families?
3. Explain why pregnancy and childbirth were especially trying times for women and what complications were there for the newborns?
4. What were the major diseases that plagued the homesteaders and what role did women play in health care?
5. What did pioneer children do to amuse themselves?
6. Describe how a winter storm was so incapacitating to prairie families.
7. What was the priority of the homesteaders upon arriving at their land?
8. What were some of the methods of transportation for people moving west to Kansas?
9. Describe a typical Christmas for a pioneer family.
10. What was a typical social visit between pioneer families and why were the social times so valued?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)