|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Social events on the prairie centered around supper and _________________.
2. Where would a typical dance be held on the prairie?
(c) Town hall.
(d) General store.
3. The prairie was usually devoid of trees and ______________.
(b) Large rocks.
4. Where was a good place for a man to find a good woman?
(c) Ice cream socials.
(d) Bachelors Balls.
5. What did prairie families look forward to?
(a) Social visits.
(b) Barn raising.
(c) Church services.
(d) Quilting bees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most crucial component for a homestead?
2. What was a popular and relatively comfortable mode of transportation to reach Kansas?
3. What type of animals usually worked the plow?
4. The western plains Indians were usually _______________.
5. What was the most valued source of fuel on the prairie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the role of the early newspapers established in Kansas?
2. What were some of the methods of transportation for people moving west to Kansas?
3. What was considered to be one of the worst crimes on the frontier and how were criminals punished?
4. What were the sources of hostility between the Native Americans and the homesteaders?
5. What role did a hotel or inn play in a frontier town and what were some of the challenges in running such a business?
6. Explain the use of cow and buffalo dung on the prairie.
7. What role did religion play in the lives of the homesteaders and which denominations were primarily represented?
8. In what year did women get the right to vote in federal elections and where did Kansas fall in the progression of states to grant this right?
9. Describe the devastation of "The Grasshopper Year" in 1874.
10. Who were Sarah White and Anna Brewster Morgan and why did they gain notoriety?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)