|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The western plains Indians were usually _______________.
2. Which of the following could cripple the settlers during the winter?
(a) Bitter cold.
(b) No firewood.
(c) Leaks in sod houses.
(d) No food.
3. Which of the following was a type of house built by the new Kansas settlers?
(a) Log cabin.
(b) Stucco house.
(c) Stone house.
(d) Brick house.
4. What was a favorite recreation for prairie families?
(a) Ice cream socials.
(c) Horse races.
5. What was Kansas known as prior to the middle of the 19th century?
(a) God's Country.
(b) Halfway to Heaven.
(c) The Great American Desert.
(d) The Middle of Nowhere.
Short Answer Questions
1. Social events on the prairie centered around supper and _________________.
2. How were land concessions negotiated with the Native Americans?
3. In the nineteenth century a woman's place was considered to be in ________________.
4. What was known to batter crops during the summer months?
5. Which of the following skills did most prairie women possess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the devastation of "The Grasshopper Year" in 1874.
2. Explain "water witching."
3. What natural threats were ever present for prairie families?
4. Describe what the pioneers would do on their favorite holiday.
5. Prior to the mid 19th century, as what was Kansas known and what happened in 1854 to change that?
6. How did prairie life put women on equal footing with their husbands in the family dynamic?
7. Describe a typical picnic for the homesteaders.
8. Who were Sarah White and Anna Brewster Morgan and why did they gain notoriety?
9. What were the major diseases that plagued the homesteaders and what role did women play in health care?
10. What were some of the methods of transportation for people moving west to Kansas?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)