|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a major occasion for social gatherings among prairie families?
(c) Cabin raisings.
2. What did prairie families look forward to?
(a) Barn raising.
(b) Social visits.
(c) Church services.
(d) Quilting bees.
3. Which of the following was true about Anna Brewster Morgan?
(a) She was the best shot in the West.
(b) She founded the University of Kansas.
(c) She organized a prairie women's group.
(d) She was captured by Indians.
4. At what distance were horses changed on a stagecoach route?
(a) 50 miles.
(b) 5 miles.
(c) 15 miles.
(d) 10 miles.
5. Native Americans did not regard land as _______________________.
(a) Property to be parceled and sold.
(d) Their own.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adorned the Christmas trees of prairie families?
2. Some prairie women were called upon to perform minor surgery and to ______________.
3. Which of the following would often result in birth defects or physical handicaps of a newborn baby?
4. With what did the settlers beat back fires from their houses?
5. What disease was particularly devastating for young children on the prairie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crops were the mainstays of Kansas crops and what else did the families eat?
2. What was a typical social visit between pioneer families and why were the social times so valued?
3. What was the incident at Sand Creek and what resulted from it?
4. What were some of the methods of transportation for people moving west to Kansas?
5. What was the priority of the homesteaders upon arriving at their land?
6. Explain "water witching."
7. What type of clothing did the pioneering families wear and how did the women keep them clean?
8. What behavior of the Native Americans would catch the homesteaders off guard in their homes?
9. Describe a typical picnic for the homesteaders.
10. What did pioneer children do to amuse themselves?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)