|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was the Kansas-Nebraska Act passed?
2. At what distance were horses changed on a stagecoach route?
(a) 50 miles.
(b) 10 miles.
(c) 5 miles.
(d) 15 miles.
3. Why did prairie women tend to do more typically male jobs than before?
(a) They signed a contract.
(b) To get the homestead started faster.
(c) Shortage of labor.
(d) Their husbands died early.
4. What was the most crucial component for a homestead?
(d) Rich soil.
5. The howl of coyotes and _________ would frighten settlers especially at night.
(b) Prairie dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the nineteenth century a woman's place was considered to be in ________________.
2. Prairie families tended to be large because of _______________________.
3. Why did streams run brown in Kansas in 1874?
4. The prairie was usually devoid of trees and ______________.
5. Social events on the prairie centered around supper and _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the two major government initiatives that forced Native Americans out of Kansas and where did they go?
2. How did prairie life put women on equal footing with their husbands in the family dynamic?
3. Prior to the mid 19th century, as what was Kansas known and what happened in 1854 to change that?
4. Describe how a winter storm was so incapacitating to prairie families.
5. Explain why pregnancy and childbirth were especially trying times for women and what complications were there for the newborns?
6. What crops were the mainstays of Kansas crops and what else did the families eat?
7. Explain the use of cow and buffalo dung on the prairie.
8. Why would prairie women suffer bouts of loneliness?
9. Describe what the pioneers would do on their favorite holiday.
10. What were the major diseases that plagued the homesteaders and what role did women play in health care?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)