|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What act was passed which opened up Kansas to settlement?
(a) Kansas Land Act.
(b) Kansas Title Act.
(c) Kansas-Nebraska Act.
(d) Kansas Settlement Act.
2. Which of the following was a type of house built by the new Kansas settlers?
(a) Stucco house.
(b) Log cabin.
(c) Brick house.
(d) Stone house.
3. Which of the following male tasks did prairie women take on?
(c) Business meetings.
(d) Buying seed.
4. The western plains Indians were usually _______________.
5. Picnics would most often occur on Saturday or ______________.
6. What was the weight of the average sod house?
(a) 5 tons.
(b) 10 tons.
(c) 90 tons.
(d) 2 tons.
7. Branches were often whittled into dolls and _____________ for children's toys.
(d) Ball bats.
8. What was known to batter crops during the summer months?
9. Hundreds of ______________ Indians were slaughtered by the U.S. government in 1864.
10. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
11. What was the most valued source of fuel on the prairie?
(c) Cow dung.
12. Who cleared paths after major snowstorms?
(b) Government workers.
(c) Community men.
13. How much land did the government promise each Kansas settler?
(a) 160 acres.
(b) 100 acres.
(c) 30 acres.
(d) 50 acres.
14. What did prairie families look forward to?
(a) Social visits.
(b) Quilting bees.
(c) Barn raising.
(d) Church services.
15. What was the mode of transportation chosen by families to reach Kansas?
(a) Covered wagon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease was particularly devastating for young children on the prairie?
2. To what city had the Kansas Pacific Railroad reached by 1870?
3. Which of the following did girl children do to help their mothers?
4. Who was the Cheyenne chief who led his warriors on a killing spree through Kansas?
5. Who was the main musician at prairie dances?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)