|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a favorite recreation for prairie families?
(a) Ice cream socials.
(c) Horse races.
2. What was the weight of the average sod house?
(a) 10 tons.
(b) 90 tons.
(c) 2 tons.
(d) 5 tons.
3. Which of the following did the settlers look for in determining where to make their homes?
(a) No neighbors.
(c) Fertile soil
(d) Good neighbors.
4. Native Americans would often come uninvited into the settlers' homes and marvel at plates and __________________.
(d) Chiming clocks.
5. The prairie was usually devoid of trees and ______________.
(c) Large rocks.
6. Which of the following did boy children do to help their fathers?
(a) Write letters.
(c) Visit the banker.
(d) Make guns.
7. What became the staple crops for the Kansas farmer?
(a) Wheat and soybeans.
(b) Rye and corn.
(c) Wheat and corn.
(d) Potatoes and corn.
8. What was especially valued for their ability to keep out the cold?
(c) Buffalo skins.
(d) Wolf skins.
9. Prairie families tended to be large because of _______________________.
(a) A high rate of child mortality.
(b) The need to gain more land.
(c) Families needing workers.
(d) No birth control.
10. Many settlers found strength in ____________ when hardships came their way.
(a) The government.
(b) Each other.
11. What was known to batter crops during the summer months?
12. The eastern and central plains Indians were usually _______________.
13. What lured people from the east to head to Kansas to settle?
(a) Cheap land.
(b) Fertile soil.
(c) Abundant water.
(d) Low taxes.
14. Why did streams run brown in Kansas in 1874?
(a) Indian wars.
(b) Grasshopper excrement.
(c) Mud slides.
15. Occasional skirmishes perpetuated the myth of the Native Americans as ________________.
(b) Skilled weapons makers.
(c) Crafty trackers.
(d) Expert sharpshooters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most crucial component for a homestead?
2. At what distance were horses changed on a stagecoach route?
3. Native Americans did not regard land as _______________________.
4. Prairie life made the woman ____________ her husband.
5. Which of the following male tasks did prairie women take on?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)