Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the Cheyenne chief who led his warriors on a killing spree through Kansas?
(a) Chief Geronimo.
(b) Chief Lame Deer.
(c) Chief Sitting Bull.
(d) Chief Dull Knife.
2. The disappearance of _______________ made the Native American visits less friendly.
3. Through which of the following did grasshoppers eat?
4. Which of the following describes how Native Americans were viewed by the settlers?
5. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
6. Where was a good place for a man to find a good woman?
(a) Ice cream socials.
(c) Bachelors Balls.
7. Which of the following was a drawback to a dugout dwelling?
8. The howl of coyotes and _________ would frighten settlers especially at night.
(d) Prairie dogs.
9. Which of the following could cripple the settlers during the winter?
(a) Bitter cold.
(b) No firewood.
(c) Leaks in sod houses.
(d) No food.
10. As the U.S. economy and population grew, _______________ were increasingly pushed west.
(a) Homestead boundaries.
(d) Native Americans.
11. Small animals like ducks and __________ would provide fascination for prairie children.
12. Many times the prairie could be a/an ____________ place.
13. What became the staple crops for the Kansas farmer?
(a) Rye and corn.
(b) Wheat and soybeans.
(c) Wheat and corn.
(d) Potatoes and corn.
14. Construction on what railroad began in 1862?
(a) Norfolk Southern Railroad.
(b) Kansas Pacific Railroad.
(c) Union Pacific Railroad.
(d) B&O Railroad.
15. What type of animals usually worked the plow?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the Kansas-Nebraska Act passed?
2. Why were times of illness, pregnancy and childbirth especially frightful times for prairie women?
3. For how long did the Kansas Drought of 1860 last?
4. What was Kansas known as prior to the middle of the 19th century?
5. Which of the following did girl children do to help their mothers?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)