|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The disappearance of _______________ made the Native American visits less friendly.
2. Which of the following diseases was common among the Kansas settlers?
3. Which of the following could cripple the settlers during the winter?
(a) Bitter cold.
(b) No food.
(c) No firewood.
(d) Leaks in sod houses.
4. Where was a good place for a man to find a good woman?
(a) Bachelors Balls.
(c) Ice cream socials.
5. Occasional skirmishes perpetuated the myth of the Native Americans as ________________.
(b) Skilled weapons makers.
(c) Expert sharpshooters.
(d) Crafty trackers.
6. With which of the following crops did Kansas farmers experiment?
(c) Soy beans.
7. Which of the following did boy children do to help their fathers?
(a) Make guns.
(b) Visit the banker.
(c) Write letters.
8. Which of the following describes how Native Americans were viewed by the settlers?
9. Why were times of illness, pregnancy and childbirth especially frightful times for prairie women?
(a) They were a long way from their families.
(b) The doctors would not make house calls.
(c) They were a long way from any medical help.
(d) There were no midwives.
10. What became the staple crops for the Kansas farmer?
(a) Wheat and corn.
(b) Rye and corn.
(c) Wheat and soybeans.
(d) Potatoes and corn.
11. To which of the following were Kansas settlers subjected?
12. What was a constant worry on the prairie?
13. Construction on what railroad began in 1862?
(a) Norfolk Southern Railroad.
(b) Union Pacific Railroad.
(c) B&O Railroad.
(d) Kansas Pacific Railroad.
14. Eventually the differences between the Native Americans and the settlers caused ________________ on both sides.
15. Who cleared paths after major snowstorms?
(c) Community men.
(d) Government workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a popular and relatively comfortable mode of transportation to reach Kansas?
2. What kind of plow was used to turn the earth?
3. Where would a typical dance be held on the prairie?
4. Prairie families tended to be large because of _______________________.
5. Which of the following did the settlers look for in determining where to make their homes?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)