|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what city had the Kansas Pacific Railroad reached by 1870?
2. Prairie families tended to be large because of _______________________.
(a) No birth control.
(b) A high rate of child mortality.
(c) The need to gain more land.
(d) Families needing workers.
3. What is the method used to find water in underground springs?
(a) Plot maps.
(b) Water witching.
(c) Indian signs.
4. Which of the following was a drawback to a dugout dwelling?
5. What was the most-celebrated holiday among prairie families?
(a) New Year's.
(b) Fourth of July.
6. What was especially valued for their ability to keep out the cold?
(b) Buffalo skins.
(c) Wolf skins.
7. Social events on the prairie centered around supper and _________________.
8. What was the weight of the average sod house?
(a) 5 tons.
(b) 90 tons.
(c) 2 tons.
(d) 10 tons.
9. With which of the following crops did Kansas farmers experiment?
(a) Soy beans.
10. With what did the settlers beat back fires from their houses?
(c) Wet coats.
11. The prairie was usually devoid of trees and ______________.
(c) Large rocks.
12. The disappearance of _______________ made the Native American visits less friendly.
13. What was a major occasion for social gatherings among prairie families?
(c) Cabin raisings.
14. The eastern and central plains Indians were usually _______________.
15. In 1874, the meat of livestock tasted like ____________ because of consuming so many of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did prairie women tend to do more typically male jobs than before?
2. Which of the following did girl children do to help their mothers?
3. Construction on what railroad began in 1862?
4. What was the method of transportation chosen by single people or small families to get to Kansas?
5. What kind of plow was used to turn the earth?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)