|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Picnics would most often occur on Saturday or ______________.
2. Some prairie women were called upon to perform minor surgery and to ______________.
(a) Stitch cuts.
(b) Dispense pills.
(c) Give inoculations.
(d) Dress the dead for burial.
3. What was the most valued source of fuel on the prairie?
(a) Cow dung.
4. Native Americans would often come uninvited into the settlers' homes and marvel at plates and __________________.
(d) Chiming clocks.
5. Which of the following was a drawback to a dugout dwelling?
6. To what city had the Kansas Pacific Railroad reached by 1870?
7. Which of the following could cripple the settlers during the winter?
(a) Bitter cold.
(b) Leaks in sod houses.
(c) No firewood.
(d) No food.
8. Who cleared paths after major snowstorms?
(a) Government workers.
(c) Community men.
9. What was the weight of the average sod house?
(a) 2 tons.
(b) 90 tons.
(c) 5 tons.
(d) 10 tons.
10. Which of the following diseases was common among the Kansas settlers?
11. The prairie was usually devoid of trees and ______________.
(c) Large rocks.
12. Which of the following would occur on the Fourth of July?
(a) Church service.
(c) Sack races.
13. With which of the following crops did Kansas farmers experiment?
(b) Soy beans.
14. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
15. Branches were often whittled into dolls and _____________ for children's toys.
(d) Ball bats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most crucial component for a homestead?
2. What did prairie families look forward to?
3. The western plains Indians were usually _______________.
4. How were land concessions negotiated with the Native Americans?
5. Through which of the following did grasshoppers eat?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)