|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where would a typical dance be held on the prairie?
(c) General store.
(d) Town hall.
2. At what distance were horses changed on a stagecoach route?
(a) 50 miles.
(b) 10 miles.
(c) 15 miles.
(d) 5 miles.
3. Which of the following describes how Native Americans were viewed by the settlers?
4. Picnics would most often occur on Saturday or ______________.
5. Which of the following was a type of house built by the new Kansas settlers?
(a) Stone house.
(b) Brick house.
(c) Stucco house.
(d) Log cabin.
6. What was especially valued for their ability to keep out the cold?
(b) Buffalo skins.
(c) Wolf skins.
7. Corn farmers usually raised a small amount of livestock for food including hogs and ___________.
8. What act was passed which opened up Kansas to settlement?
(a) Kansas Title Act.
(b) Kansas-Nebraska Act.
(c) Kansas Land Act.
(d) Kansas Settlement Act.
9. Which of the following male tasks did prairie women take on?
(a) Business meetings.
(c) Buying seed.
10. As a result of the new railroad as well as the Homestead Act of 1862, Native Americans were pushed into the state of _____________.
11. To which of the following were Kansas settlers subjected?
12. 1874 was named ___________________ due to crop devastation.
(a) The Boll Weevil Year.
(b) The Dead Corn.
(c) The Silent Wheat.
(d) The Grasshopper Year.
13. Who cleared paths after major snowstorms?
(a) Community men.
(c) Government workers.
14. Why were times of illness, pregnancy and childbirth especially frightful times for prairie women?
(a) The doctors would not make house calls.
(b) There were no midwives.
(c) They were a long way from their families.
(d) They were a long way from any medical help.
15. With what did the settlers beat back fires from their houses?
(b) Wet coats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following would often result in birth defects or physical handicaps of a newborn baby?
2. What was the nickname for sod blocks?
3. Many times the prairie could be a/an ____________ place.
4. What was the most-celebrated holiday among prairie families?
5. Occasional skirmishes perpetuated the myth of the Native Americans as ________________.
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)