|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Through which of the following did grasshoppers eat?
2. What was the mode of transportation chosen by families to reach Kansas?
(c) Covered wagon.
3. Which of the following adorned the Christmas trees of prairie families?
(c) Candy canes.
4. Who cleared paths after major snowstorms?
(b) Community men.
(d) Government workers.
5. What was Kansas known as prior to the middle of the 19th century?
(a) God's Country.
(b) Halfway to Heaven.
(c) The Great American Desert.
(d) The Middle of Nowhere.
6. Which of the following was a drawback to a dugout dwelling?
7. Where did the prairie women mainly do the family laundry?
(a) A stream.
(b) A kettle.
(c) A well.
(d) A pond.
8. Which of the following did girl children do to help their mothers?
(c) Make potions.
9. As a result of the new railroad as well as the Homestead Act of 1862, Native Americans were pushed into the state of _____________.
10. In what year was the Kansas-Nebraska Act passed?
11. What was a major source of crop devastation on the prairie?
(a) Prairie dogs.
12. In the nineteenth century a woman's place was considered to be in ________________.
(a) The laundry room.
(b) The garden.
(c) The home.
(d) The kitchen.
13. Sarah White and _______________ were two young white women captured by Indians.
(a) Sally Ann Madison.
(b) Mary McKenna.
(c) Lucille Bronson.
(d) Anna Brewster Morgan.
14. In 1874, the meat of livestock tasted like ____________ because of consuming so many of them.
15. Where was a good place for a man to find a good woman?
(b) Bachelors Balls.
(d) Ice cream socials.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following occurred in the Kansas Drought of 1860?
2. Which of the following could cripple the settlers during the winter?
3. The eastern and central plains Indians were usually _______________.
4. For how long did the Kansas Drought of 1860 last?
5. What was the most valued source of fuel on the prairie?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)