|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what did the settlers beat back fires from their houses?
(c) Wet coats.
2. What was the method of transportation chosen by single people or small families to get to Kansas?
(a) Covered wagon.
3. How much land did the government promise each Kansas settler?
(a) 30 acres.
(b) 50 acres.
(c) 100 acres.
(d) 160 acres.
4. Why were times of illness, pregnancy and childbirth especially frightful times for prairie women?
(a) They were a long way from their families.
(b) There were no midwives.
(c) They were a long way from any medical help.
(d) The doctors would not make house calls.
5. Who was the Cheyenne chief who led his warriors on a killing spree through Kansas?
(a) Chief Geronimo.
(b) Chief Sitting Bull.
(c) Chief Dull Knife.
(d) Chief Lame Deer.
6. Picnics would most often occur on Saturday or ______________.
7. In 1874, the meat of livestock tasted like ____________ because of consuming so many of them.
8. To which of the following were Kansas settlers subjected?
9. Which of the following skills did most prairie women possess?
(a) Shearing sheep.
10. In what year were Native American tribes first forcibly forced to move west of the Mississippi River?
11. What did prairie families look forward to?
(a) Quilting bees.
(b) Church services.
(c) Social visits.
(d) Barn raising.
12. The disappearance of _______________ made the Native American visits less friendly.
13. Where would a typical dance be held on the prairie?
(a) General store.
(d) Town hall.
14. In what year was the Kansas-Nebraska Act passed?
15. Many settlers found strength in ____________ when hardships came their way.
(b) The government.
(d) Each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many times the prairie could be a/an ____________ place.
2. What was the weight of the average sod house?
3. Some prairie women were called upon to perform minor surgery and to ______________.
4. To what city had the Kansas Pacific Railroad reached by 1870?
5. Native Americans would often come uninvited into the settlers' homes and marvel at plates and __________________.
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)