|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The western plains Indians were usually _______________.
2. As a result of the new railroad as well as the Homestead Act of 1862, Native Americans were pushed into the state of _____________.
3. The howl of coyotes and _________ would frighten settlers especially at night.
(a) Prairie dogs.
4. Small animals like ducks and __________ would provide fascination for prairie children.
5. 1874 was named ___________________ due to crop devastation.
(a) The Silent Wheat.
(b) The Grasshopper Year.
(c) The Dead Corn.
(d) The Boll Weevil Year.
6. What was the mode of transportation chosen by families to reach Kansas?
(b) Covered wagon.
7. What was the most-celebrated holiday among prairie families?
(c) New Year's.
(d) Fourth of July.
8. Why did streams run brown in Kansas in 1874?
(a) Mud slides.
(b) Grasshopper excrement.
(c) Indian wars.
9. Where was a good place for a man to find a good woman?
(c) Ice cream socials.
(d) Bachelors Balls.
10. What is the method used to find water in underground springs?
(b) Water witching.
(c) Indian signs.
(d) Plot maps.
11. What was the most crucial component for a homestead?
(a) Rich soil.
12. How much land did the government promise each Kansas settler?
(a) 160 acres.
(b) 50 acres.
(c) 100 acres.
(d) 30 acres.
13. In what year was the Kansas-Nebraska Act passed?
14. Which of the following diseases was common among the Kansas settlers?
15. What was the nickname for sod blocks?
(a) Prairie marble.
(b) Prairie manna.
(c) Grass stacks.
(d) Grass bricks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was true about Anna Brewster Morgan?
2. At what distance were horses changed on a stagecoach route?
3. Eventually the differences between the Native Americans and the settlers caused ________________ on both sides.
4. Through which of the following did grasshoppers eat?
5. What kind of plow was used to turn the earth?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)