|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what did the settlers beat back fires from their houses?
(a) Wet coats.
2. What was the mode of transportation chosen by families to reach Kansas?
(c) Covered wagon.
3. What was a staple in the Kansas farm family diet?
4. What became the staple crops for the Kansas farmer?
(a) Rye and corn.
(b) Potatoes and corn.
(c) Wheat and soybeans.
(d) Wheat and corn.
5. What type of animals usually worked the plow?
6. Who was the main musician at prairie dances?
(b) Banjo player.
7. Some prairie women were called upon to perform minor surgery and to ______________.
(a) Give inoculations.
(b) Dispense pills.
(c) Dress the dead for burial.
(d) Stitch cuts.
8. What kind of plow was used to turn the earth?
(a) Earth mover plow.
(b) Sod buster plow.
(c) Garden plow.
(d) Breaking plow.
9. The disappearance of _______________ made the Native American visits less friendly.
10. In the nineteenth century a woman's place was considered to be in ________________.
(a) The garden.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The home.
(d) The laundry room.
11. What was a favorite recreation for prairie families?
(b) Ice cream socials.
(d) Horse races.
12. Which of the following adorned the Christmas trees of prairie families?
(a) Candy canes.
13. Which of the following describes how Native Americans were viewed by the settlers?
14. What is the method used to find water in underground springs?
(b) Indian signs.
(c) Plot maps.
(d) Water witching.
15. What was a major occasion for social gatherings among prairie families?
(b) Cabin raisings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following occurred in the Kansas Drought of 1860?
2. What was the most valued source of fuel on the prairie?
3. Native Americans did not regard land as _______________________.
4. Which of the following could cripple the settlers during the winter?
5. The howl of coyotes and _________ would frighten settlers especially at night.
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)