|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which of the following were Kansas settlers subjected?
2. Which of the following describes how Native Americans were viewed by the settlers?
3. Many settlers found strength in ____________ when hardships came their way.
(a) Each other.
(d) The government.
4. Branches were often whittled into dolls and _____________ for children's toys.
(a) Ball bats.
5. Which of the following diseases was common among the Kansas settlers?
6. What did prairie families look forward to?
(a) Barn raising.
(b) Social visits.
(c) Church services.
(d) Quilting bees.
7. How did Santa enter the homes of prairie families on Christmas Eve?
(a) The door.
(b) The chimney.
(c) An opening in the roof.
(d) The window.
8. Why were times of illness, pregnancy and childbirth especially frightful times for prairie women?
(a) The doctors would not make house calls.
(b) There were no midwives.
(c) They were a long way from any medical help.
(d) They were a long way from their families.
9. What was the most valued source of fuel on the prairie?
(c) Cow dung.
10. To what city had the Kansas Pacific Railroad reached by 1870?
11. Construction on what railroad began in 1862?
(a) Norfolk Southern Railroad.
(b) B&O Railroad.
(c) Union Pacific Railroad.
(d) Kansas Pacific Railroad.
12. Which of the following did girl children do to help their mothers?
(a) Make potions.
13. What was a major occasion for social gatherings among prairie families?
(d) Cabin raisings.
14. What was a favorite recreation for prairie families?
(b) Ice cream socials.
(d) Horse races.
15. What is the method used to find water in underground springs?
(a) Water witching.
(b) Plot maps.
(d) Indian signs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a staple in the Kansas farm family diet?
2. Where did frontier families take shelter during Indian raids?
3. The howl of coyotes and _________ would frighten settlers especially at night.
4. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
5. Which of the following was true about Anna Brewster Morgan?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)