|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Branches were often whittled into dolls and _____________ for children's toys.
(a) Ball bats.
2. Which of the following male tasks did prairie women take on?
(c) Business meetings.
(d) Buying seed.
3. Eventually the differences between the Native Americans and the settlers caused ________________ on both sides.
4. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
5. For how long did the Kansas Drought of 1860 last?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 18 months.
(d) 2 years.
6. The howl of coyotes and _________ would frighten settlers especially at night.
(d) Prairie dogs.
7. Which of the following did girl children do to help their mothers?
(b) Make potions.
8. Many settlers found strength in ____________ when hardships came their way.
(a) The government.
(c) Each other.
9. Prairie families tended to be large because of _______________________.
(a) No birth control.
(b) The need to gain more land.
(c) A high rate of child mortality.
(d) Families needing workers.
10. Why did streams run brown in Kansas in 1874?
(a) Indian wars.
(b) Mud slides.
(c) Grasshopper excrement.
11. What was the method of transportation chosen by single people or small families to get to Kansas?
(c) Covered wagon.
12. In what year were Native American tribes first forcibly forced to move west of the Mississippi River?
13. What was a major occasion for social gatherings among prairie families?
(c) Cabin raisings.
14. In what year was the Kansas-Nebraska Act passed?
15. As a result of the new railroad as well as the Homestead Act of 1862, Native Americans were pushed into the state of _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what did the settlers beat back fires from their houses?
2. Where would a typical dance be held on the prairie?
3. What was a popular and relatively comfortable mode of transportation to reach Kansas?
4. What was the weight of the average sod house?
5. At what distance were horses changed on a stagecoach route?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)