|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was a good place for a man to find a good woman?
(a) Ice cream socials.
(b) Bachelors Balls.
2. Where did the prairie women mainly do the family laundry?
(a) A pond.
(b) A stream.
(c) A well.
(d) A kettle.
3. The disappearance of _______________ made the Native American visits less friendly.
4. The prairie was usually devoid of trees and ______________.
(c) Large rocks.
5. Some prairie women were called upon to perform minor surgery and to ______________.
(a) Dispense pills.
(b) Give inoculations.
(c) Stitch cuts.
(d) Dress the dead for burial.
6. Many settlers found strength in ____________ when hardships came their way.
(a) Each other.
(d) The government.
7. What was a major source of crop devastation on the prairie?
(a) Prairie dogs.
8. What became the staple crops for the Kansas farmer?
(a) Wheat and soybeans.
(b) Rye and corn.
(c) Potatoes and corn.
(d) Wheat and corn.
9. Construction on what railroad began in 1862?
(a) Norfolk Southern Railroad.
(b) Union Pacific Railroad.
(c) B&O Railroad.
(d) Kansas Pacific Railroad.
10. What did prairie families look forward to?
(a) Social visits.
(b) Church services.
(c) Quilting bees.
(d) Barn raising.
11. Prairie life made the woman ____________ her husband.
(a) Equal to.
(b) Complain about.
(c) In awe of.
(d) Subservient to.
12. Hundreds of ______________ Indians were slaughtered by the U.S. government in 1864.
13. Where did frontier families take shelter during Indian raids?
(a) Their houses.
(b) Military forts.
(c) Underground shelters.
14. What kind of plow was used to turn the earth?
(a) Earth mover plow.
(b) Sod buster plow.
(c) Breaking plow.
(d) Garden plow.
15. At what distance were horses changed on a stagecoach route?
(a) 5 miles.
(b) 10 miles.
(c) 15 miles.
(d) 50 miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was especially valued for their ability to keep out the cold?
2. Eventually the differences between the Native Americans and the settlers caused ________________ on both sides.
3. The howl of coyotes and _________ would frighten settlers especially at night.
4. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
5. How much land did the government promise each Kansas settler?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)