|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Picnics would most often occur on Saturday or ______________.
2. Eventually the differences between the Native Americans and the settlers caused ________________ on both sides.
3. Who was the main musician at prairie dances?
(c) Banjo player.
4. What was a constant worry on the prairie?
5. At what distance were horses changed on a stagecoach route?
(a) 5 miles.
(b) 50 miles.
(c) 10 miles.
(d) 15 miles.
6. What was known to batter crops during the summer months?
7. What did prairie families look forward to?
(a) Church services.
(b) Social visits.
(c) Barn raising.
(d) Quilting bees.
8. Which of the following was true about Anna Brewster Morgan?
(a) She organized a prairie women's group.
(b) She founded the University of Kansas.
(c) She was the best shot in the West.
(d) She was captured by Indians.
9. Which of the following would occur on the Fourth of July?
(a) Sack races.
(d) Church service.
10. What was a major occasion for social gatherings among prairie families?
(a) Cabin raisings.
11. How much land did the government promise each Kansas settler?
(a) 50 acres.
(b) 100 acres.
(c) 30 acres.
(d) 160 acres.
12. Corn farmers usually raised a small amount of livestock for food including hogs and ___________.
13. Which of the following did girl children do to help their mothers?
(b) Make potions.
14. What kind of plow was used to turn the earth?
(a) Earth mover plow.
(b) Sod buster plow.
(c) Breaking plow.
(d) Garden plow.
15. Native Americans would often come uninvited into the settlers' homes and marvel at plates and __________________.
(c) Chiming clocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did streams run brown in Kansas in 1874?
2. What was the mode of transportation chosen by families to reach Kansas?
3. Which of the following male tasks did prairie women take on?
4. Some prairie women were called upon to perform minor surgery and to ______________.
5. What became the staple crops for the Kansas farmer?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)