|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did boy children do to help their fathers?
(a) Write letters.
(b) Visit the banker.
(d) Make guns.
2. Which of the following was a type of house built by the new Kansas settlers?
(a) Log cabin.
(b) Stucco house.
(c) Brick house.
(d) Stone house.
3. Which of the following occurred in the Kansas Drought of 1860?
(a) Crippled harvests.
(d) Prairie fires.
4. The disappearance of _______________ made the Native American visits less friendly.
5. What type of animals usually worked the plow?
6. As a result of the new railroad as well as the Homestead Act of 1862, Native Americans were pushed into the state of _____________.
7. What was a constant worry on the prairie?
8. What was the method of transportation chosen by single people or small families to get to Kansas?
(d) Covered wagon.
9. Where did frontier families take shelter during Indian raids?
(b) Their houses.
(c) Military forts.
(d) Underground shelters.
10. Why were times of illness, pregnancy and childbirth especially frightful times for prairie women?
(a) They were a long way from their families.
(b) The doctors would not make house calls.
(c) There were no midwives.
(d) They were a long way from any medical help.
11. Which of the following could cripple the settlers during the winter?
(a) No food.
(b) Bitter cold.
(c) Leaks in sod houses.
(d) No firewood.
12. Which of the following male tasks did prairie women take on?
(a) Buying seed.
(b) Business meetings.
13. With which of the following crops did Kansas farmers experiment?
(d) Soy beans.
14. Many settlers found strength in ____________ when hardships came their way.
(a) The government.
(b) Each other.
15. What was the mode of transportation chosen by families to reach Kansas?
(d) Covered wagon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah White and _______________ were two young white women captured by Indians.
2. Where did the prairie women mainly do the family laundry?
3. What would announce that the Fourth of July had arrived?
4. What kind of plow was used to turn the earth?
5. Hundreds of ______________ Indians were slaughtered by the U.S. government in 1864.
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)