|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following adorned the Christmas trees of prairie families?
(a) Candy canes.
2. Which of the following was a drawback to a dugout dwelling?
3. Where would a typical dance be held on the prairie?
(a) General store.
(d) Town hall.
4. Through which of the following did grasshoppers eat?
5. Corn farmers usually raised a small amount of livestock for food including hogs and ___________.
6. Which of the following describes how Native Americans were viewed by the settlers?
7. Hundreds of ______________ Indians were slaughtered by the U.S. government in 1864.
8. What was the method of transportation chosen by single people or small families to get to Kansas?
(c) Covered wagon.
9. Which of the following was a type of house built by the new Kansas settlers?
(a) Stucco house.
(b) Log cabin.
(c) Brick house.
(d) Stone house.
10. Social events on the prairie centered around supper and _________________.
11. Native Americans did not regard land as _______________________.
(a) Their own.
(c) Property to be parceled and sold.
12. What became the staple crops for the Kansas farmer?
(a) Wheat and soybeans.
(b) Potatoes and corn.
(c) Rye and corn.
(d) Wheat and corn.
13. What was the mode of transportation chosen by families to reach Kansas?
(d) Covered wagon.
14. What is the method used to find water in underground springs?
(a) Plot maps.
(c) Water witching.
(d) Indian signs.
15. As a result of the new railroad as well as the Homestead Act of 1862, Native Americans were pushed into the state of _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would announce that the Fourth of July had arrived?
2. Picnics would most often occur on Saturday or ______________.
3. What was the most crucial component for a homestead?
4. What was especially valued for their ability to keep out the cold?
5. With which of the following crops did Kansas farmers experiment?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)