|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much land did the government promise each Kansas settler?
(a) 160 acres.
(b) 30 acres.
(c) 50 acres.
(d) 100 acres.
2. At what distance were horses changed on a stagecoach route?
(a) 15 miles.
(b) 10 miles.
(c) 5 miles.
(d) 50 miles.
3. What was a staple in the Kansas farm family diet?
4. Which of the following describes how Native Americans were viewed by the settlers?
5. What was the nickname for sod blocks?
(a) Grass stacks.
(b) Prairie manna.
(c) Grass bricks.
(d) Prairie marble.
6. Where did frontier families take shelter during Indian raids?
(a) Their houses.
(c) Military forts.
(d) Underground shelters.
7. Which of the following was a drawback to a dugout dwelling?
8. Where was a good place for a man to find a good woman?
(a) Bachelors Balls.
(d) Ice cream socials.
9. Small animals like ducks and __________ would provide fascination for prairie children.
10. What was the most-celebrated holiday among prairie families?
(a) Fourth of July.
(d) New Year's.
11. As a result of the new railroad as well as the Homestead Act of 1862, Native Americans were pushed into the state of _____________.
12. What was a constant worry on the prairie?
13. What was the method of transportation chosen by single people or small families to get to Kansas?
(b) Covered wagon.
14. Who cleared paths after major snowstorms?
(a) Community men.
(d) Government workers.
15. Which of the following was true about Anna Brewster Morgan?
(a) She founded the University of Kansas.
(b) She was the best shot in the West.
(c) She organized a prairie women's group.
(d) She was captured by Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prairie families tended to be large because of _______________________.
2. The disappearance of _______________ made the Native American visits less friendly.
3. Where did the prairie women mainly do the family laundry?
4. Some prairie women were called upon to perform minor surgery and to ______________.
5. Which of the following male tasks did prairie women take on?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)