|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a popular and relatively comfortable mode of transportation to reach Kansas?
(a) Covered wagon.
(d) Stage coach.
2. Which Kansas county was especially ravaged by the Cheyenne and Sioux tribes in 1868?
3. Picnics would most often occur on Saturday or ______________.
4. What was the mode of transportation chosen by families to reach Kansas?
(d) Covered wagon.
5. What was the nickname for sod blocks?
(a) Prairie marble.
(b) Grass stacks.
(c) Grass bricks.
(d) Prairie manna.
6. What was Kansas known as prior to the middle of the 19th century?
(a) Halfway to Heaven.
(b) The Great American Desert.
(c) God's Country.
(d) The Middle of Nowhere.
7. Where did the prairie women mainly do the family laundry?
(a) A pond.
(b) A kettle.
(c) A well.
(d) A stream.
8. To what city had the Kansas Pacific Railroad reached by 1870?
9. For how long did the Kansas Drought of 1860 last?
(a) 18 months.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 6 months.
10. What was a major source of crop devastation on the prairie?
(b) Prairie dogs.
11. What was the most crucial component for a homestead?
(d) Rich soil.
12. Which of the following describes how Native Americans were viewed by the settlers?
13. At what distance were horses changed on a stagecoach route?
(a) 5 miles.
(b) 15 miles.
(c) 50 miles.
(d) 10 miles.
14. Prairie life made the woman ____________ her husband.
(a) Complain about.
(b) Subservient to.
(c) In awe of.
(d) Equal to.
15. Occasional skirmishes perpetuated the myth of the Native Americans as ________________.
(b) Skilled weapons makers.
(c) Crafty trackers.
(d) Expert sharpshooters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following occurred in the Kansas Drought of 1860?
2. What would announce that the Fourth of July had arrived?
3. Native Americans did not regard land as _______________________.
4. Which of the following was a type of house built by the new Kansas settlers?
5. Which of the following was a drawback to a dugout dwelling?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)