|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following diseases was common among the Kansas settlers?
2. Where was a good place for a man to find a good woman?
(b) Bachelors Balls.
(c) Ice cream socials.
3. To which of the following were Kansas settlers subjected?
4. Native Americans would often come uninvited into the settlers' homes and marvel at plates and __________________.
(c) Chiming clocks.
5. In what year were Native American tribes first forcibly forced to move west of the Mississippi River?
6. What was the method of transportation chosen by single people or small families to get to Kansas?
(c) Covered wagon.
7. As a result of the new railroad as well as the Homestead Act of 1862, Native Americans were pushed into the state of _____________.
8. Why did prairie women tend to do more typically male jobs than before?
(a) To get the homestead started faster.
(b) They signed a contract.
(c) Their husbands died early.
(d) Shortage of labor.
9. Through which of the following did grasshoppers eat?
10. Where did frontier families take shelter during Indian raids?
(a) Military forts.
(b) Their houses.
(c) Underground shelters.
11. The howl of coyotes and _________ would frighten settlers especially at night.
(a) Prairie dogs.
12. What was the weight of the average sod house?
(a) 5 tons.
(b) 2 tons.
(c) 10 tons.
(d) 90 tons.
13. Why did streams run brown in Kansas in 1874?
(a) Indian wars.
(c) Mud slides.
(d) Grasshopper excrement.
14. What was a staple in the Kansas farm family diet?
15. The disappearance of _______________ made the Native American visits less friendly.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1874, the meat of livestock tasted like ____________ because of consuming so many of them.
2. Which of the following was a type of house built by the new Kansas settlers?
3. What was known to batter crops during the summer months?
4. To what city had the Kansas Pacific Railroad reached by 1870?
5. How much land did the government promise each Kansas settler?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)