|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the living Indian children does Annawake claim were taken by the whites?
2. How many rooms does Cash Stillwater's home have?
3. What do the teenage Indians tie around their ankles during the stomp dance?
4. Who must decide the final fate of Turtle's custody?
5. Why do the whites kick the Indians off their land during the Trail of Tears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Turtle had a very difficult childhood throughout the novel. Compare / contrast her life on the reservation with her life with Taylor. Finally, explain how Turtle got her name and the symbolism that name has to her childhood.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Annawake proposes a solution that will hopefully keep all parties happy, and will keep Turtle's best interests at heart. Explain what Annawake's solution for the fight over Turtle's custody was, and then explain how that decision affected the lives of the main characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Gabriel Fourkiller acts as a silent character throughout the novel. He is often spoken about, but is never directly involved in the story line. Describe who Gabriel Fourkiller is, and then explain how his character affected the fight over Turtle's custody.
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)