|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Taylor hide the money that Alice has given her once she is in her own apartment?
2. What classic movie does Turtle reference after leaving the free clinic?
3. In his story, what does Turtle refer to as a "hen's apple"?
4. With whom does Alice discuss the meaning of the Pigs in Heaven constellation?
5. Who does Annawake recommend take custody of Turtle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The luck of the Native American people comes to the forefront of the novel, as the tribe believes in luck as a driving force to their survival. Explain the ways that the Native American tribe portrayed in this novel can be seen as both a lucky and an unlucky tribe of people.
Essay Topic 2
Both Alice and Taylor define themselves as being strong-willed women that do not need a man to survive, but both women's opinions of themselves change throughout the course of the novel. Describe the viewpoint that mother and daughter shared about men at the beginning of the novel, and describe how their views about men gradually changed by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the symbolism of pigs is used in various forms. Choose two examples in which pigs are used as symbols in the novel and explain how those symbols reflected the larger themes presented in Turtle's story.
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)