|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the whites kick the Indians off their land during the Trail of Tears?
2. Why does Barbie want to get a job in an office?
3. What type of bird flying overhead signifies death to the Cherokee people?
4. What is Letty's reaction to the news that Alice is an admirer of Cash?
5. Which of the following characters is NOT present during the final confrontation over Turtle's custody?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the symbolism of pigs is used in various forms. Choose two examples in which pigs are used as symbols in the novel and explain how those symbols reflected the larger themes presented in Turtle's story.
Essay Topic 2
When the reader is first introduced to Annawake's character, it is through the filtered voice of her secretary Jinny. Describe the way that Jinny views Annawake, and compare / contrast that to Annawake's own view of herself. Finally, discuss whether Jinny's view of Annawake at the beginning of the novel was an accurate assessment, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Annawake argues that what is important is the good of the tribe versus the good of the individual. Explain what Annawake meant by this statement, and explain how this mindset factored into the way that Annawake viewed the fight over Turtle's custody.
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)