|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Alice's relatives is thought to be a full blood Cherokee?
2. At the end of the novel, who/what does Cash shoot?
3. From what city does Alice attempt to locate her cousin Sugar?
4. What utility is shut off when Taylor is unable to pay her bills?
5. What happens to the Jewish father that fought for the return of his adopted son after the Holocaust?
Essay Topic 1
Turtle often associates her fears with horses. Describe a moment when Turtle remembers horses as linked to her childhood at the Indian reservation, and then explain how the imagery of horses expanded, and was used in connection to Annawake and her search for Taylor and Turtle.
Essay Topic 2
Both Alice and Taylor define themselves as being strong-willed women that do not need a man to survive, but both women's opinions of themselves change throughout the course of the novel. Describe the viewpoint that mother and daughter shared about men at the beginning of the novel, and describe how their views about men gradually changed by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
When Lucky Buster fell into the hole, the "luck" of the moment seemed ambiguous. Explain why Turtle's sighting of Lucky Buster's fall could be seen as both lucky and unlucky. Then, explain what your final verdict of the moment was - lucky, or unlucky, citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)