|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alice remember shaking, screaming, and speaking in tongues?
2. Where is Letty when Annawake returns with her dish and gossip?
3. What is at the center of the ritual at the stomp dance?
4. Why is Annawake issuing a subpoena for Turtle's return?
5. What happens when Turtle is no longer allowed to hang out at Taylor's work with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lucky Buster fell into the hole, the "luck" of the moment seemed ambiguous. Explain why Turtle's sighting of Lucky Buster's fall could be seen as both lucky and unlucky. Then, explain what your final verdict of the moment was - lucky, or unlucky, citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, there are three single mothers whose characters are explored. Briefly describe the three single mothers in the text and compare / contrast their mothering skills. What message do you think Kingsolver is sending to the reader about the love of a single mother?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, both Taylor and Annawake clash over what is best for Turtle's future. Explain the arguments that both women had for Turtle's custody, and then explain how it was actually two cultures, rather than two women, fighting for the best of the child.
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)