|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many months out of the year does Annawake recommend Turtle spend with her tribe?
2. Where is Letty when Annawake returns with her dish and gossip?
3. What happens when Turtle is no longer allowed to hang out at Taylor's work with her?
4. In Cash's story, what animal breaks into Boma Mellowbug's home and receives many bee stings?
5. How many of the living Indian children does Annawake claim were taken by the whites?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the women in the novel who are on the run do so without the support of men in their lives. Choose two women who are on the run, and explain why they choose to live their lives without men. Do you think the author includes this intentionally in the book as a motif of feminine strength?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in the novel choose their own names, or are gifted a name after a significant moment in their life. Choose two characters with interesting names, explain the story behind their name, and then explain how their name reflects their character traits.
Essay Topic 3
The Trail of Tears proved to be an important historical moment in the novel. Explain what happened during the Trail of Tears, and how this moment in history directly affected Turtle's story.
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)