|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Alice's relatives is thought to be a full blood Cherokee?
2. How many of the living Indian children does Annawake claim were taken by the whites?
3. What is at the center of the ritual at the stomp dance?
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes Letty's character?
5. What is "poke" similar to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the reader is first introduced to Annawake's character, it is through the filtered voice of her secretary Jinny. Describe the way that Jinny views Annawake, and compare / contrast that to Annawake's own view of herself. Finally, discuss whether Jinny's view of Annawake at the beginning of the novel was an accurate assessment, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, both Taylor and Annawake clash over what is best for Turtle's future. Explain the arguments that both women had for Turtle's custody, and then explain how it was actually two cultures, rather than two women, fighting for the best of the child.
Essay Topic 3
The Trail of Tears proved to be an important historical moment in the novel. Explain what happened during the Trail of Tears, and how this moment in history directly affected Turtle's story.
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)