|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cassie feel jealous watching Alex on the movie set in Chapter Twelve?
2. How did Alex's father try to teach him to fend for himself?
3. What steps do Alex and Cassie take to mend their marriage after she returns home with Connor?
4. What ritual does Will perform after Alex comes to take Cassie home from the reservation?
5. What does Cassie see Alex as in the dreams where Connor warns her about making a mistake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is William's role in Chapter Nineteen?
2. Is Cassie an honest person?
3. Describe Cyrus.
4. How does Cassie's pregnancy affect her feelings for Alex?
5. Is Ophelia a good friend to Cassie?
6. Is Dorothea prejudiced towards white people?
7. Does Cassie lead Will on?
8. Why is Alex so comfortable camping in the woods?
9. Is Will looking after his own best interests by hiding Cassie?
10. What most attracts Cassie to Alex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Memory and prejudice both play important roles in Picture Perfect.
1) Describe how the author uses prejudice to create feelings about certain characters in the novel.
2) Explain how memory or the lack thereof can help to create or reduce prejudice based on examples in the story.
3) Select a minor character from the novel (Connor, Dorothea, Ophelia...) and explain how memory and prejudice play out in the growth or development of that character and their role in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Dorothea and Cyrus represent the Sioux lifestyle that was so difficult for Will growing up, and yet seems to define him despite his efforts to run from it.
1) Choose either Dorothea or Cyrus and explain how they impact Cassie's future.
2) Select an item from the Sioux life that you feel has strong symbolism in Picture Perfect and analyze this item.
3) Do you think that Will was right or wrong to leave the reservation when he did?
Essay Topic 3
Was Cassie wise or foolish to throw the Tylenol out the window and trust in tribal healing beliefs and why? If baby Connor had not gotten better after she threw out the medicine, what impact would that have had on the story? Are the Sioux rituals in the story meant to represent something or are they meant to get the reader to be more open-minded about different belief systems?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)