|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alex's reaction when Cassie pours juice into his lap at the first meeting?
2. Why does Alex come to Cassie's classroom in Chapter Sixteen?
3. What does Alex do that results in Cassie getting a job promotion?
4. How does Alex find out that Cassie is at the reservation?
5. What does Alex tell Cassie that his father did when they have dinner in his tent in Tanzania?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Cassie addicted to Alex?
2. How does the media coverage impact Cassie and Alex's relationship?
3. What most attracts Cassie to Alex?
4. Is Cassie at all to blame for her role in the abuse?
5. Is Will looking after his own best interests by hiding Cassie?
6. What does Cassie learn from Cyrus and Dorothea?
7. What is William's role in Chapter Nineteen?
8. Is Ophelia a good friend to Cassie?
9. Is Cassie an honest person?
10. How does Cassie's pregnancy affect her feelings for Alex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Native American legends included in the novel are used to imply, predict, foreshadow or point out contrasting elements at different times.
1) Select one legend in the novel that you feel does the best job of foreshadowing events to come and offer specifics to support your answer.
2) Explain why the author chose to incorporate these legends instead of making her point another way.
3) Do the legends portray Native Americans in a positive or negative light? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Cassie, Alex and Will have all experienced shame. Compare and contrast the shame, its cause and how it is dealt with among these three characters. Of the three, decide who has dealt with his/her feelings of shame most effectively and why.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Cassie's role as an anthropologist helps or hinders her on her life journey. How do the cultures that she exists in contribute to her growth or limit her? What discoveries does she make in the novel and how do they impact her growth and development?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)