|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Jane find at the library that she thinks might be her own?
2. What is the actor's name that the woman with amnesia recognizes on a billboard?
3. Why is Will at the restaurant the night that Alex gets into a fight?
4. Where did Jane make the discovery that she recalls in Chapter Three?
5. What does Alex say is Cassie's only character flaw?
Short Essay Questions
1. What expectations does the Algonquin legend put in place for the novel?
2. Discuss the importance of the movie that Alex is nominated for an award in.
3. How do Cassie and Will's perceptions of Desperado differ and why does this matter?
4. How does Cassie feel towards Alex when he first takes her back to their Malibu apartment in Chapter Four?
5. Why are Herb and Alex surprised at Cassie's angry outburst?
6. Does Cassie trust Alex in Chapter Four?
7. How does Jane Doe react to waking up in a stranger's car?
8. Describe Alex and Cassie's home in Bel-Air.
9. How does William's vision quest relate to his meeting Cassie?
10. How does Alex express his loving feeling for Cassie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was Cassie wise or foolish to throw the Tylenol out the window and trust in tribal healing beliefs and why? If baby Connor had not gotten better after she threw out the medicine, what impact would that have had on the story? Are the Sioux rituals in the story meant to represent something or are they meant to get the reader to be more open-minded about different belief systems?
Essay Topic 2
The Native American legends included in the novel are used to imply, predict, foreshadow or point out contrasting elements at different times.
1) Select one legend in the novel that you feel does the best job of foreshadowing events to come and offer specifics to support your answer.
2) Explain why the author chose to incorporate these legends instead of making her point another way.
3) Do the legends portray Native Americans in a positive or negative light? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Cassie's amnesia allows her to view Alex from the perspective of someone who's never met him before, that is, until her memory returns. Yet she follows the same patterns of behavior as she did before and accepts her abuse until she realizes that he might hurt her unborn child.
1) Is Cassie destined to find herself in an abusive relationship due to her childhood?
2) What benefit does she gain from their relationship?
3) Will she be able to have a meaningful relationship with Will?
Support your answers with specific examples.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)