|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cassie's mother feel about snow?
2. Who throws the woman overboard in the Eskimo legend that opens Chapter Ten?
3. Where does Will take Jane in the beginning of Chapter Two?
4. What important discovery does Jane recall that sends her to the library for information?
5. What happens to Cassie when she falls asleep on the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe William Flying Horse's experience as a half-Sioux person.
2. What role does Herb Silver play in Chapter Three?
3. How do Jane and William get to know each other better in Chapter Two?
4. Discuss the importance of the movie that Alex is nominated for an award in.
5. Why does Cassie become an anthropologist?
6. What expectations does the Algonquin legend put in place for the novel?
7. Describe the ramifications of the Sioux penalty for adultery as described in Chapter Two.
8. Why is Jane's recollection about discovering hand bones important?
9. How do Cassie and Will's perceptions of Desperado differ and why does this matter?
10. Why does Will buy new furniture in Chapter Eight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Memory and prejudice both play important roles in Picture Perfect.
1) Describe how the author uses prejudice to create feelings about certain characters in the novel.
2) Explain how memory or the lack thereof can help to create or reduce prejudice based on examples in the story.
3) Select a minor character from the novel (Connor, Dorothea, Ophelia...) and explain how memory and prejudice play out in the growth or development of that character and their role in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in Picture Perfect have troubled childhoods that they are trying to deal with.
1) Which character in the novel has the best method of dealing with a troubled past? The worst?
2) If Connor had survived his father's murder attempt, describe the type of person he might be today.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Cassie, Alex and Will each identify themselves within the world around them. Be sure to consider the venues they choose to live in, or not live in.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)