Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state is William Flying Horse driving in Chapter One?
2. Who is Captain Watkins?
3. How does Cassie's mother feel about snow?
4. What does Alex say when Cassie asks him why she doesn't see Connor anymore?
5. What is the name of Alex's Oscar nominated movie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Alex so comfortable camping in the woods?
2. Describe the ramifications of the Sioux penalty for adultery as described in Chapter Two.
3. How does Cassie's pregnancy affect her feelings for Alex?
4. What does Miranda represent in Chapter Seven?
5. How does Cassie's association with the Lakotas change her life?
6. Discuss the importance of the movie that Alex is nominated for an award in.
7. What does Cassie learn from Cyrus and Dorothea?
8. What is Alex's relationship with his father like?
9. Is Cassie at all to blame for her role in the abuse?
10. How does Cassie start to realize that Alex is attempting to control her life in Chapter Seven?
Essay Topic 1
The characters of William Flying Horse and Alex Rivers can easily be labeled as the good and bad guys in Picture Perfect. However, Jodi Picoult gives each both good and bad qualities which makes the story a little less black and white in many ways.
1) Do you think that William or Alex had a more difficult childhood? Explain.
2) Why does Alex become an actor while William becomes a police officer? Does this make a statement about actors and police officers in general?
3) Analyze the best qualities of Alex and the worst qualities of William.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Cassie, Alex and Will each identify themselves within the world around them. Be sure to consider the venues they choose to live in, or not live in.
Essay Topic 3
The symbolism of Alex having a hole in his heart is a very strong metaphor.
1) Use the movies that Alex chooses to star in to analyze this character's motives and goals.
2) Explain what would be lost from the novel if the scene at the pediatric hospital was not included.
3) How does Alex attempt to fill the hole in his heart?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)