|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Alex tells Cassie why they decided to wait on having children, what does she think to herself?
2. Who does Jane tell about her recalled profession in Chapter Three?
3. Who is Ophelia?
4. How does a piece of bone that Cassie needs to complete her project get damaged?
5. What did the Sioux do to a woman who committed adultery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William's vision quest relate to his meeting Cassie?
2. How does Alex view himself?
3. What is Alex's relationship with his father like?
4. How does the driver, John, represent Alex's life?
5. Why does Cassie become an anthropologist?
6. Why does Will buy new furniture in Chapter Eight?
7. What is Cassie's impression of Alex in Chapter Seven?
8. What does Miranda represent in Chapter Seven?
9. How does Alex express his loving feeling for Cassie?
10. How does Jane Doe react to waking up in a stranger's car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Memory and prejudice both play important roles in Picture Perfect.
1) Describe how the author uses prejudice to create feelings about certain characters in the novel.
2) Explain how memory or the lack thereof can help to create or reduce prejudice based on examples in the story.
3) Select a minor character from the novel (Connor, Dorothea, Ophelia...) and explain how memory and prejudice play out in the growth or development of that character and their role in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Does Alex's fame enable him to be an abuser or make him more likely to abuse? Explain. Why does Cassie decide to expose Alex publicly at the end of the story? How does fame add to or take away from the challenges that Alex and Cassie face in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Dorothea and Cyrus represent the Sioux lifestyle that was so difficult for Will growing up, and yet seems to define him despite his efforts to run from it.
1) Choose either Dorothea or Cyrus and explain how they impact Cassie's future.
2) Select an item from the Sioux life that you feel has strong symbolism in Picture Perfect and analyze this item.
3) Do you think that Will was right or wrong to leave the reservation when he did?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)