|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job is William Flying Horse getting ready to begin in Chapter One?
2. What happens to Cassie when she falls asleep on the beach?
3. How does a piece of bone that Cassie needs to complete her project get damaged?
4. Where does Jane go to meet her husband?
5. Why is Will angry when he returns home the first day Jane stays there alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What connections to both Alex and Will does Jane/Cassie show in Chapter Three.
2. Why is Jane's recollection about discovering hand bones important?
3. Why does Cassie become an anthropologist?
4. Describe the relationship between Alex and Ophelia.
5. What is Cassie's impression of Alex in Chapter Seven?
6. Why are Herb and Alex surprised at Cassie's angry outburst?
7. How does Alex express his loving feeling for Cassie?
8. Why does Will buy new furniture in Chapter Eight?
9. What is Alex's relationship with his father like?
10. Is Jane Doe or William more vulnerable in Chapter Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alex uses multiple personas to get through life in a way that looks good to his audience.
1) At what points in Picture Perfect do you think that Alex is truly being himself rather than acting a role?
2) Why does Alex cease going to the therapy sessions with Cassie?
3) Does anyone else in the story seem to realize that Alex is always putting on an act? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The characters of William Flying Horse and Alex Rivers can easily be labeled as the good and bad guys in Picture Perfect. However, Jodi Picoult gives each both good and bad qualities which makes the story a little less black and white in many ways.
1) Do you think that William or Alex had a more difficult childhood? Explain.
2) Why does Alex become an actor while William becomes a police officer? Does this make a statement about actors and police officers in general?
3) Analyze the best qualities of Alex and the worst qualities of William.
Essay Topic 3
Cassie, Alex and Will have all experienced shame. Compare and contrast the shame, its cause and how it is dealt with among these three characters. Of the three, decide who has dealt with his/her feelings of shame most effectively and why.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)