|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Cassie supposed to go with a class before Alex arranged for her sabbatical?
2. What does Jane do to thank Will for his kindness in Chapter Two?
3. What vice does Cassie have that embarrasses her?
4. Who is Mrs. Alvarez?
5. What does Will leave with Jane when he goes to work and leaves her home alone in his apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Will buy new furniture in Chapter Eight?
2. How do Cassie and Will's perceptions of Desperado differ and why does this matter?
3. How does the driver, John, represent Alex's life?
4. How does Alex express his loving feeling for Cassie?
5. What is the significance of the Eskimo Indian legend in Chapter Ten?
6. Describe the ramifications of the Sioux penalty for adultery as described in Chapter Two.
7. Why does Cassie become an anthropologist?
8. How does Alex react to the visit to the pediatric hospital?
9. What indications about Jane's relationship with her husband, Alex, are revealed in Chapter Three?
10. What do Cassie's lives in Maine, Tanzania and Malibu illustrate in Chapter Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cassie tells the story with a surprising amount of sympathy towards her abuser.
1) Explain which character in Picture Perfect would give a most accurate description of the events? The least?
2) What other storytelling perspective (third person, journal entries) or character would give the most dramatically different rendition of events and why?
Essay Topic 2
The characters of William Flying Horse and Alex Rivers can easily be labeled as the good and bad guys in Picture Perfect. However, Jodi Picoult gives each both good and bad qualities which makes the story a little less black and white in many ways.
1) Do you think that William or Alex had a more difficult childhood? Explain.
2) Why does Alex become an actor while William becomes a police officer? Does this make a statement about actors and police officers in general?
3) Analyze the best qualities of Alex and the worst qualities of William.
Essay Topic 3
Control of ones self and the people around one is a key topic in Picture Perfect.
1) Is Alex or Ophelia better at manipulating people?
2) Is Cassie a complete victim?
3) Do you feel sorry for Alex based on the circumstances of his childhood?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)