|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Alex tell Cassie they decided to wait on having children?
(a) They want more time to enjoy each other.
(b) She is trying to get promoted.
(c) He films on location every year.
(d) She goes to Africa every year.
2. What sound does William Flying Horse hear that leads him to the unnamed woman?
(b) A baby.
(c) An owl.
(d) A scream for help.
3. Why does Alex's public relations person arrange a photo opportunity for him in Chapter Eight?
(a) To combat a story about him in the Enquirer.
(b) To generate good press before the Oscars.
(c) To repay the woman who jumpstarted his career.
(d) To pacify Cassie.
4. Who throws the woman overboard in the Eskimo legend that opens Chapter Ten?
(a) An invisible spirit.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) She jumps.
5. What is true about Jane in Chapter Two?
(a) She has a tattoo.
(b) She wears a wedding ring.
(c) She wears a wig.
(d) She has an artificial limb.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alex's response when Jane hugs Will?
2. After Alex tells Cassie why they decided to wait on having children, what does she think to herself?
3. What job is William Flying Horse getting ready to begin in Chapter One?
4. Where was Cassie supposed to go with a class before Alex arranged for her sabbatical?
5. What is the pet name that Alex calls Jane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Cassie addicted to dime store romances and embarrassed by this?
2. What indications about Jane's relationship with her husband, Alex, are revealed in Chapter Three?
3. Why does Alex's wardrobe reduce Cassie to tears in Chapter Five?
4. How does Cassie start to realize that Alex is attempting to control her life in Chapter Seven?
5. Explain the importance of Nick LaRue in Chapter Seven.
6. How does Alex view himself?
7. What is Alex's relationship with his father like?
8. How does the driver, John, represent Alex's life?
9. What is Cassie's impression of Alex in Chapter Seven?
10. Why does Cassie become an anthropologist?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)