|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Alex have painful memories of the hospital?
(a) His mother spent a year slowly dying in a hospital.
(b) He lost his sister to childhood cancer.
(c) He spent a year in a rehab facility after an accident.
(d) He was a frequent patient as a child.
2. What is true of Alex's wardrobe?
(a) He treats his designer labels as if they are disposable.
(b) Everything is black, white or red.
(c) T-shirts and jeans are on hangers.
(d) It is huge, extensive and organized.
3. Who is Nick LaRue?
(a) The head of Cassie's department.
(b) An actor.
(c) A college student who interned with Cassie.
(d) An agent.
4. What does Cassie ask Alex to help her do in Chapter Six?
(a) Glue bones together.
(b) Find Connor.
(c) Make a baby.
(d) Patch her memory together.
5. What best describes the success of Cassie's parents' business when she is a child in Maine?
(a) They sell the business and retire on the profit.
(b) They struggle and lose money.
(c) It makes ends meet but never thrives.
(d) They are successful and form a franchise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the beautiful woman that sidles up to Alex, and the tabloids claim was naked in Alex's trailer?
2. In the Algonquin legend that opens the novel, why is the woman rewarded while others are punished?
3. The night of Alex's fight at the restaurant, Cassie thinks that she cannot imagine a world where what happens?
4. What job is William Flying Horse getting ready to begin in Chapter One?
5. Where is Cassie's mother from before the family moves to Maine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Cassie and Will's perceptions of Desperado differ and why does this matter?
2. How does Alex view himself?
3. What does Miranda represent in Chapter Seven?
4. Why is Jane's recollection about discovering hand bones important?
5. What role does Herb Silver play in Chapter Three?
6. Describe the relationship between Alex and Ophelia.
7. What is the significance of the Eskimo Indian legend in Chapter Ten?
8. Is Jane Doe or William more vulnerable in Chapter Two?
9. Why does Will buy new furniture in Chapter Eight?
10. What expectations does the Algonquin legend put in place for the novel?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)