|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jane make the discovery that she recalls in Chapter Three?
(c) Los Angelos.
2. What does Alex say is Cassie's only character flaw?
3. What is Cassie's relationship with the head of her department like?
(a) It is openly hostile.
(b) He doesn't like her.
(c) He lusts after her, but she rebuffs him.
(d) They are intimate.
4. Where does Will go after Cassie and Alex leave the restaurant the night of the fight?
(a) To a church.
(c) To his date's apartment.
(d) To another call.
5. What does Will buy in Chapter Eight?
(a) White T-shirts and socks.
(b) New furniture.
(c) Sourdough bread.
(d) Theater tickets.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Algonquin legend that opens the novel, why is the woman rewarded while others are punished?
2. What does William Flying Horse do when the unnamed woman faints?
3. What best describes the success of Cassie's parents' business when she is a child in Maine?
4. Why is Will angry when he returns home the first day Jane stays there alone?
5. Where does Will take Jane in the beginning of Chapter Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. What expectations does the Algonquin legend put in place for the novel?
2. How does Cassie feel towards Alex when he first takes her back to their Malibu apartment in Chapter Four?
3. What is the significance of the Eskimo Indian legend in Chapter Ten?
4. How does Alex express his loving feeling for Cassie?
5. How does the driver, John, represent Alex's life?
6. Why is Jane's recollection about discovering hand bones important?
7. Describe the ramifications of the Sioux penalty for adultery as described in Chapter Two.
8. Explain the importance of Nick LaRue in Chapter Seven.
9. How does Alex view himself?
10. Why does Alex's wardrobe reduce Cassie to tears in Chapter Five?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)