|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Alex's secretary?
2. What is the name of Jane's husband?
(a) Boyd Barrett.
(b) Billy Watkins.
(c) Alex Rivers.
(d) Sam Silver.
3. What does Nick LaRue tell Cassie while Alex is in the bathroom at the restaurant in Chapter Seven?
(a) He has been waiting all night.
(b) They were having an affair.
(c) That Alex is bad news.
(d) She is going to be promoted to full professor.
4. Where was Cassie supposed to go with a class before Alex arranged for her sabbatical?
(c) New York City.
5. Where does Cassie watch some of Alex's movies in Chapter Eight?
(a) At a local movie theater.
(b) At Will's house.
(c) At home on her VCR.
(d) Westwood Community Center.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Algonquin legend that opens the novel, why is the woman rewarded while others are punished?
2. What does Jane realize that her profession is?
3. Where do Cassie and Alex go when they first return home after her disappearance?
4. What is true of Alex's wardrobe?
5. What does Cassie recall Alex demanding for breakfast when he was filming Antony and Cleopatra?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Cassie trust Alex in Chapter Four?
2. How does Alex view himself?
3. How do Jane and William get to know each other better in Chapter Two?
4. What does Miranda represent in Chapter Seven?
5. How does Cassie start to realize that Alex is attempting to control her life in Chapter Seven?
6. What is Alex's relationship with his father like?
7. Why are Herb and Alex surprised at Cassie's angry outburst?
8. What expectations does the Algonquin legend put in place for the novel?
9. How does Alex express his loving feeling for Cassie?
10. Why does Cassie become an anthropologist?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)