|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did 10-year-old Cassie have a snow fight with her mother?
(a) To force her mother to fight back.
(b) Her mother starts it to get Cassie out of a bad mood.
(c) To make her mother laugh.
(d) It's a tradition for the family.
2. What best describes the success of Cassie's parents' business when she is a child in Maine?
(a) They sell the business and retire on the profit.
(b) They are successful and form a franchise.
(c) It makes ends meet but never thrives.
(d) They struggle and lose money.
3. In the Algonquin legend that opens the novel, why is the woman rewarded while others are punished?
(a) She tells the legend the chief likes the best.
(b) She is the mother of the boy who saves the tribe.
(c) She holds the branch of life.
(d) She is honest and sees the chief's greatness.
4. What is the name of Jane's husband?
(a) Alex Rivers.
(b) Billy Watkins.
(c) Boyd Barrett.
(d) Sam Silver.
5. What did Alex do with the object he and his father built together when it is finally completed?
(a) Smashes it.
(b) Gives it to his cousin.
(c) Paints it.
(d) Burns it.
6. How old was Will when his mother died?
(b) She dies during childbirth.
7. What, specifically, did Will see the shaman to ask about becoming?
(a) A keeper.
(b) A giver.
(c) A dreamer.
(d) A seeker.
8. Why does Cassie recall Alex had a tantrum about his interview with Barbara Walters?
(a) He couldn't find his lucky tie.
(b) He says she tricked him with a question.
(c) His interview was to be aired second.
(d) He arrived hungover and looks sickly.
9. What is the profession of Jane's husband?
(a) Forensic scientist.
(d) Police officer.
10. What is chiseled into the pink rock that Cassie has under a boxwood hedge of her Bel-Air mansion?
(a) Best Friend.
(b) Connor loves Cassie.
(c) CMM 1976.
11. What did the Sioux do to a woman who committed adultery?
(a) Killed her.
(b) Took away her children.
(c) Cut off her nose.
(d) Sent her into exile with her mother-in-law.
12. Who is Mrs. Alvarez?
(a) A woman at a shelter.
(b) A maid in Alex's home.
(c) Alex's mentor.
(d) The subject of Alex's movie.
13. What is true of Alex's wardrobe?
(a) Everything is black, white or red.
(b) It is huge, extensive and organized.
(c) He treats his designer labels as if they are disposable.
(d) T-shirts and jeans are on hangers.
14. What important discovery does Jane recall that sends her to the library for information?
(a) Ancient hand bones.
(b) A dead body in her car.
(c) She solved the murder of a family.
(d) She discovered an important CEO was embezzling funds.
15. Where did Jane make the discovery that she recalls in Chapter Three?
(a) Los Angelos.
Short Answer Questions
1. What vice does Cassie have that embarrasses her?
2. How do Alex and Cassie treat each other the night of his fight at the restaurant?
3. Where was Cassie supposed to go with a class before Alex arranged for her sabbatical?
4. What animal did Will see on his vision quest to the shaman?
5. In the Eskimo Indian legend that opens Chapter Ten, what animal disguises itself as a man to enchant the woman?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)