|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mermaid doing when Wendy first sees her?
2. What are the reactions of John and Michael to Wendy's story?
3. What role does Wendy assign Peter Pan in this family situation she has created?
4. When Peter Pan and Wendy are stranded by the rising tide, how does Wendy escape?
5. What happens to the pirate sent to fetch this instrument for Captain Hook's punishment of the boy who said, "God save the King?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What noise does Peter Pan make to confuse Captain Hook just before he rescues the children? What is Captain Hook's reaction to the sound? What are the boys' reaction?
2. What does Peter Pan say would be an incredible adventure? What is important about that statement?
3. Describe the lengths to which Wendy takes her role as mother to the lost boys.
4. How do Peter Pan and Wendy escape the rising tide? What significance can be placed on their manner of escape? Why do they not simply fly?
5. Why did Captain Hook put poison in the glass of water in Peter Pan's house? What does this say about Captain Hook's character?
6. Does Peter Pan seem to realize the level of Tinkerbell's devotion after she drinks the poison? Why or why not?
7. Compare Peter Pan's commitment to the life he has chosen in Neverland to that of the boys. Compare Peter Pan's commitment to this life to that of his role as "father" of the boys.
8. Following the pirate attack, the Lost Boys talk of how frightened they are without Peter. What does this say about the relationship between Peter and the boys? Is this a fulfilling relationship on all sides?
9. How does Peter arm the Lost Boys? How does he hide on deck?
10. What noise does Peter Pan make upon killing the first pirate who enters Captain Hook's quarters? What does Captain Hook then call him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Tinkerbell's relationship to Peter Pan? Is Tinkerbell's level of devotion greater or lesser than Peter Pan's level of devotion to her? Give examples to support this claim.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Mrs. Darling a stereotypical mother? In what ways is she not? How much of an impact has she had on Wendy? Is this a positive impact or a negative?
Essay Topic 3
What has prompted Mrs. Darling's fear for the safety of the children? Why does she believe Peter Pan is going to return? What is the attitude of Mr. Darling regarding her fears?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)