|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Peter Pan make to Wendy to encourage her to get well quickly?
2. What problem does Peter Pan encounter when he finds his shadow?
3. Who is Captain Hook's first mate?
4. What wakes Wendy?
5. Which statements describe Captain Hook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that saves Wendy from being killed by the arrow? What is significant about this?
2. How do Captain Hook's appearance and mannerisms compare to his character?
3. What does Peter Pan do when he cannot re-attach his shadow? Why is this out of keeping with the character he seeks to present? Why is it in keeping with the character he really is?
4. Describe three interesting characters introduced in this act and tell why they capture your interest.
5. Describe at least three things that make it evident that this story is a fairy tale.
6. Describe Tiger Lily and the Indian tribe she leads. Describe their first action in the play.
7. When it seems that Peter Pan is about to leave, what action does Wendy take? Does it have the desired effect?
8. What topics do the Lost Boys debate while awaiting the return of Peter Pan? Which do you feel is the most significant of the topics being discussed?
9. Why does Mrs. Darling believe Peter Pan continues to return to the nursery window? Why does she believe this?
10. Describe at least three things Mrs. Darling does in an effort to keep the children safe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Wendy's commitment to "play house" with the Lost Boys to Peter Pan's commitment. What separates the two? What is Wendy's reaction to her understanding of Peter Pan's level of commitment? Compare that to Peter Pan's reaction to the situation.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Mrs. Darling a stereotypical mother? In what ways is she not? How much of an impact has she had on Wendy? Is this a positive impact or a negative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the ongoing conflict in this story regarding gender.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)