|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is very needy and cannot stand being alone?
2. What is the name of the first applicant?
3. Charles Hayter was whose suitor?
4. Whose mood does Anne try to improve when she arrives at Mary's house?
5. How many children does the admiral have?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mrs. Clay wants to leave, describe how she is convinced to stay.
2. Describe Sir Walter Elliot.
3. What is Anne's reaction when Mrs. Smith tells her about rumors that Anne and Mr. Elliot are to wed and how does Mrs. Smith respond?
4. Explain how Anne's plans to leave for Bath are interrupted.
5. Explain how Lady Russell's attitude toward Anne, in Chapter 2, is different from Sir Elliot and Elizabeth's attitude toward Anne.
6. How are Anne, Elizabeth and Mary different, according to Chapter 1?
7. Explain how the family decides to cut costs.
8. Describe how Sir Elliot wants Mr. Shepherd to rent out the house.
9. Explain Anne's reasons for calling off the engagement to Captain Wentworth.
10. Explain how Anne feels about Lady Russell's view of Mr. Elliot and Mr. Elliot's view of Mrs. Clay.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the three Elliot daughters at the end of the book with the way they were at the beginning of the book. Have any of them changed? If so, in what ways?
Essay Topic 2
Choose any of the following characters and describe whether or not you feel they change and, if so, in what ways:
Essay Topic 3
Explain what role Lady Russell plays in the book. Include other examples, besides just her disapproval of Captain Wentworth.
This section contains 1,424 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)