|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sir Elliot's status?
2. What is Frederick's last name?
3. Who goes to visit the Crofts when they move?
4. How old is Anne at the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. How does Charles handle the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens the day before the planned dinner at Uppercross that keeps Anne from attending.
2. What is Anne's reaction when Mrs. Smith tells her about rumors that Anne and Mr. Elliot are to wed and how does Mrs. Smith respond?
3. Explain the event towards the end of Chapter 10 that causes Anne to believe that she finally understands Frederick.
4. Explain how Charles Hayter feels about Frederick and why.
5. Describe what happens when Anne visits the Crofts on their first day at Kellynch Hall.
6. How are Anne, Elizabeth and Mary different, according to Chapter 1?
7. Explain what Mrs. Smith tells Anne about the time when Mr. Elliot was a friend of the Smiths.
8. Explain Anne's reasons for calling off the engagement to Captain Wentworth.
9. Explain how Lady Russell's attitude toward Anne, in Chapter 2, is different from Sir Elliot and Elizabeth's attitude toward Anne.
10. Explain how the group feels about Captain Benwick.
Essay Topic 1
Do you feel that Captain Wentworth should have married Anne, Louisa or Henrietta? Use examples from the book to defend your choice. If you don't think he should have married any of them, explain why.
Essay Topic 2
Choose any courtship or marriage in the book besides Anne and Frederick's and cite examples of how it affected the rest of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
For most of the book, Anne's father and sisters don't treat her as if her opinion matters. Who does respect Anne's opinion on things and why do you think that is. Use examples from the book to back up your opinions.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)