|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the first applicant?
2. Who else does Sir Elliot ask for advice in Chapter 1?
3. Whom does Anne see flirting with Captain Wentworth?
4. Chapter 3 follows a conversation between the Elliots and whom?
5. Why does Mr. Elliot choose the person to whom he rents the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sir Elliot feel about naval officers?
2. Describe Captain Wentworth at the end of Chapter 4.
3. How does Lady Russell feel about Anne staying at Uppercross cottage?
4. How does Mr. Elliot react to news of Anne and Frederick's marriage?
5. Describe what happens when Anne visits the Crofts on their first day at Kellynch Hall.
6. Describe how Sir Elliot wants Mr. Shepherd to rent out the house.
7. Explain what Anne thinks of staying at Uppercross.
8. Explain how Anne feels about Lady Russell's view of Mr. Elliot and Mr. Elliot's view of Mrs. Clay.
9. How are Anne, Elizabeth and Mary different, according to Chapter 1?
10. What news does Anne receiv about Captain Benwick, in a letter from Mary and how does it make everyone feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sir Elliot originally has a poor view of naval officers yet he eventually learns to like Admiral Croft and Captain Wentworth. Why does he like them? Do you agree or disagree?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of marriage and union is strong in the book. Choose your favorite couple, besides Anne and Frederick, and describe their relationship. What makes them your favorite?
Essay Topic 3
Choose any courtship or marriage in the book besides Anne and Frederick's and cite examples of how it affected the rest of the characters.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)