|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many anti-tank weapons did Howard have?
2. Who took over patrolling duties at the bridges after their arrival?
3. When did the Allies secure Benouville?
4. What did Howard and his men hear near the canal bridge?
5. Whom was Howard lecturing according to Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was the first Allied soldier to be killed on D-Day?
2. What happened to the Germans found not sleeping in tunnels?
3. What happened by 1800 hours according to Chapter 8, D-Day: 1200 to 2400 Hours?
4. Why did Sweeney hear the sound of bagpipes?
5. What did General Gale do after he arrived at 0900 hours?
6. What does Ambrose say of the villages of Benouville and Ranville?
7. What happened starting in 1984, according to Chapter 11, D-Day Plus Forty Years to D-Day Plus Fifty Years?
8. What happened to von Luck?
9. What happened when the Warwickshire Regiment arrived?
10. What did Howard turn his attention toward at the beginning of Chapter 6, D-Day: 0026 - 0600 Hours?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The paratroopers were further from where they were supposed to land and were disoriented when they landed since they couldn't find the church steeple. Examine the impact the paratroopers had on the Pegasus Bridge mission. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Company D was given a three day exercise in capturing and holding bridges. Examine the significance of this three day exercise, using the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Examine mistakes or misconceptions made by the Germans as the Allies invaded and took the bridges. Discuss how this contributed to the success of the mission. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)