|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after the capture of the bridges did Howard anticipate the paratroopers would start to land according to Chapter 6, D-Day: 0026-0600 Hours?
2. What did the French do to the bridge over the canal?
3. What was made depicting the action at the bridges?
4. For how long was Von Luck a POW?
5. Who lit flares to guide the paratroopers to their drop zones?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have movies depicted, according to Ambrose?
2. What happened starting in 1984, according to Chapter 11, D-Day Plus Forty Years to D-Day Plus Fifty Years?
3. What invasion began at dawn, according to Chapter 7, D-Day: 0600 to 1200 Hours?
4. What happened to Howard after his leave, according to Chapter 10, D-Day Plus Three Months to D-Day Plus Fifty Years?
5. What does Ambrose say of the villages of Benouville and Ranville?
6. Why did Sweeney hear the sound of bagpipes?
7. What happened by 1800 hours according to Chapter 8, D-Day: 1200 to 2400 Hours?
8. Who was the first Allied soldier to be killed on D-Day?
9. Why was Howard's special unit shrinking?
10. What did von Luck want to do according to Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As of 1942, the Germans and Japanese seemed triumphant in most parts of the world. Discuss how the war was going for the Allies up until 1942 and analyze the shift in planning made by the Allies. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Examine mistakes or misconceptions made by the Germans as the Allies invaded and took the bridges. Discuss how this contributed to the success of the mission. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of capturing Pegasus Bridge and what it prevented the German Panzers from doing. Use the text and provide examples to support your discussion.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)