|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Company D go at the end of May 1944?
2. What was the first report Howard received after setting up his command post on the Canal Bridge?
3. What rank did Helmet Romer have on June 5, 1944, according to Chapter 1?
4. What did Von Luck have his men do on May 29, 1944?
5. When did Howard receive his orders according to D-Day Minus One Month to D-Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Howard tell his men when Company D moved to Tarrant Rushton at the end of May?
2. What was the plan on which General Frederick Morgan worked according to Ambrose?
3. Who ran the cafe in town, and what did the Germans not know about them?
4. What orders did Howard receive for May 2 in D-Day Minus One Month to D-Day?
5. What was Howard doing to his men according to Ambrose and how did it end up helping them?
6. What happened to Hickman and four of his men when they were about to drive over the bridge?
7. What did Howard learn about the explosives, and what did he not know in Chapter 5?
8. Where was von Luck in 1942?
9. What happened at the river bridge at the start of Chapter 5?
10. What did Howard discover from the reports and photos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Resistance had a crucial role in helping the Allies make plans to train soldiers and advance. Discuss the role of the Resistance, including the Gondrees and examine the advantages and disadvantages of using intelligence from those in the Resistance. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Code words and signals were used among the Allied forces to spread information about the status of the bridge. Examine the use of code words and signals and discuss how these benefited or did not benefit Allied advancement in the early hours of the Allied invasion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Major Schmidt and his concerns about the partisans. Examine how his concerns about the partisans rather than the Allied invasion affected the outcome of the Pegasus Bridge mission and examine the impact on the Germans.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)