Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was fired by the bridge sentry after they spotted potential paratroops?
2. How long did it take Hickman to reach his headquarters?
3. What division was Von Luck commanding in the fall of 1943?
4. According to the plan, who would relieve Howard after his mission was accomplished?
5. Who developed the training program of Company D?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the plan on which General Frederick Morgan worked according to Ambrose?
2. What happened starting in 1984, according to Chapter 11, D-Day Plus Forty Years to D-Day Plus Fifty Years?
3. Why were some men dropped according to Ambrose?
4. What happened to the British airborne forces in 1943 according to Chapter 3, D-Day Minus One Year to D-Day Minus One Month?
5. Why were glider troops used according to Ambrose?
6. What happened to one of the men from glider #2?
7. Why did the Gondres spend the night in the cellar, according to Chapter 7, D-Day: 0600 to 1200 Hours?
8. What happened by 0021 hours according to Chapter 5?
9. What happened to Wallwork and Ainsworth at the start of Chapter 5, D-Day: 0016 to 0026 Hours?
10. What does Ambrose say of the Pegasus Bridge in the Epilogue?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Normandy was chosen as the location for the seaborne invasion and examine the reasons the area was not heavily defended by the Nazis. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Operation Goodwood was an attack launched in July, 1944, when Montgomery tried to break through to Caen then to Paris. Discuss the objectives of Operation Goodwood, how it was held off, and what effort was made to complete the operation. Use the text and secondary sources to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
As the D-Day invasion plans were made, it was decided that the Orne River and the Caen Canal Bridges would need to be taken intact. Examine this realization, what would happen if the bridges were blown, and how this potential issue was overcome. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)