|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Howard have access to the documentation concerning the plan?
2. Where was Hans Schmidt on the evening of June 5?
3. Who was on duty on the canal bridge when the gliders landed?
4. What was the difference between the training regiment of the men and that of the officers?
5. What canal did the Pegasus Bridge span?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were some men dropped according to Ambrose?
2. What happened to one of the men from glider #2?
3. What did Poett tell Howard according to Ambrose?
4. What did Howard learn about the explosives, and what did he not know in Chapter 5?
5. What did Howard tell his men when Company D moved to Tarrant Rushton at the end of May?
6. What did Howard do with his troops in Chapter 4?
7. What happened to the British airborne forces in 1943 according to Chapter 3, D-Day Minus One Year to D-Day Minus One Month?
8. What did the British create in 1942 according to Chapter 2, D-Day Minus Two Years?
9. What happened at the river bridge at the start of Chapter 5?
10. What happened to the platoon leaders according to Ambrose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reconnaissance photos and topographical reports helped Howard plan for the capture of the bridges. Discuss the significance of these intelligence reports in how the men were trained and how Howard developed his plans. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Major Schmidt and his concerns about the partisans. Examine how his concerns about the partisans rather than the Allied invasion affected the outcome of the Pegasus Bridge mission and examine the impact on the Germans.
Essay Topic 3
As the D-Day invasion plans were made, it was decided that the Orne River and the Caen Canal Bridges would need to be taken intact. Examine this realization, what would happen if the bridges were blown, and how this potential issue was overcome. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)