|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skills did the training of Company D focus on?
2. Who was on duty on the canal bridge when the gliders landed?
3. How far were most of the paratroopers from the bridges after their drop?
4. What glider was Bailey in?
5. How many days did the bridge holding exercise given to Company D last?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Howard do for Company D according to Ambrose?
2. What orders did Howard receive for May 2 in D-Day Minus One Month to D-Day?
3. What happened to Wallwork and Ainsworth at the start of Chapter 5, D-Day: 0016 to 0026 Hours?
4. Who was relieved of duty at the start at the start of Chapter 1, D-Day Minus Two Years?
5. What did Howard discover from the reports and photos?
6. What did Howard tell his men when Company D moved to Tarrant Rushton at the end of May?
7. What happened to the platoon leaders according to Ambrose?
8. What was Howard not allowed to do?
9. What was Major Hans Schmidt, the German commander, worried about according to Ambrose?
10. What happened at the river bridge at the start of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the plans for the gliders were changed in the days prior to the invasion. Discuss what changes were made and what impact these changes may have had on the success of the Pegasus bridge mission. Use the text to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
The Germans did not counterattack immediately because they received conflicting information about the situation, despite having enough troops to carry out the counterattack. Examine how Howard's troops used their training to their benefit and discuss the impact of the German's decision to hold off on a counterattack.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the plans made for the invasion by General Frederick Morgan and General Gale and discuss the potential complications of the plan. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)