|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pavlo's mother say about Joanna over the phone?
2. What does Ardell say Pavlo can do after getting two wounds?
3. What does Pavlo realize after being shot by a sniper?
4. When Pavlo first calls Joanna, what does he talk about?
5. What does Pavlo say he loses his temper over in his speech in Act 2, Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We see how both aspects to Pavlo's character, his innocence and his fear of helplessness, lead him to a re-definition of identity. Explain this is a thematically relevant aspect to his story using examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
As soon understood by the audience, scenes take place in different time frames, places, and even on different planes of existence; such as Pavlo being alive or Pavlo being dead. How is this narrative structure key to appreciating the play's style? Consider the phrase "the whole is more than the sum of its parts," and sum up your findings about the style of this play using this phrase to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the non-existence of the "wounded twice rule" function as a metaphor for the nature of Pavlo's delusional belief system? Use examples to support your answer, specifically to back up the nature of Pavlo's delusional belief system.
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)