|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pavlo have thrown over him when he once entered the barracks?
(b) Dirty clothes.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A tarp.
2. What two words does Ardell claim will be of meaning to all people after this event?
(a) Division Five.
(b) Pavlo Boy.
(c) Pavlo Hummel.
(d) Joanna Hummel.
3. What is Pavlo's first question to Ardell after he is attacked in the barracks?
(a) What was going to happen next.
(b) Where he was supposed to go.
(c) Why he was attacked.
(d) Who was it thhat beat him up.
4. What is happening in the barracks when Ardell first appears to find Pavlo near death?
(a) The trainees are getting Pavlo to stand up.
(b) The trainees are making fun of Pavlo.
(c) Pavlo is fighting with Kress.
(d) Kress is making fun of Pavlo.
5. What is Ardell's first comment when he enters the barracks, in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) That the trainees can't take care of themselves.
(b) That he was waiting outside.
(c) How the fuss and noise is Pavlo's fault.
(d) That he was just sleeping.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the furnace room after Pierce accuses Pavlo's stories of being lies, what does Pierce ask Pavlo?
2. Where is Pavlo while Pierce, HInkle, and Kress are setting up their game?
3. What does Pavlo do after weapons drill that nobody else does?
4. When Pierce and Pavlo are speaking in the furnace room, what does Ardell do to Pavlo as the other trainees are in formation?
5. What reason for practicing weapons drill does Pavlo give to Towers when asked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dramatic changes occur to Pavlo and his mentality in Act 2, Part 4?
2. Consider the graphic scenes presented in this part, and think about the word "mutilation." Employ this word to describe the deeper meanings of what is happening in these scenes. How are things, people, and ideas mutilated throughout this scene?
3. How is Brisbey's talk on the depth of the ocean a metaphorical slight towards Pavlo?
4. Tower mentions the North Star more than a few times throughout the play, and finally in Act 2, Part 4. Up until this point, what are the possible meanings of these references to the North Star?
5. How does the scene in which Pavlo grabs the grenade display yet another ironic moment in his seemingly life-long struggle for identity? What character trait seems to remain intact to the very end of his life, possibly leading to his ultimate demise?
6. What key moments in Act 1, Part 4 drive the momentum and energy of the plot forward, and what feeling does that have the potential to create in the audience?
7. How is Pavlo's interactions and awareness of Brisbey and his plight of significance to the audience's understanding of what happens to people as a result of being involved in war?
8. How are the opening scenes of this play different than others? Plot-wise, hypothesize over the purpose of this style of opening.
9. Although Kress seems to be convinced that Pavlo is stupid, is this an accurate assumption? Why or why not?
10. Theorize about the significance of the story Pavlo relates of the girl who seemed like a "robot."
This section contains 1,821 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)