|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the trainees are called to formation by the second whistle blow of the play , what does Pavlo do while Pierce prepares to go?
(a) Tries to pick a fight with Parker.
(b) Refuses to go to formation.
(c) Asks Pierce not to go.
(d) Begins singing.
2. What happens after the whistle blows?
(a) Pavlo runs out of the room.
(b) A squad of army recruits enter.
(c) Ardell leaves the room.
(d) A messenger arrives.
3. Who breaks up the fight between Kress and Pavlo after the test?
4. What two words does Ardell claim will be of meaning to all people after this event?
(a) Pavlo Hummel.
(b) Pavlo Boy.
(c) Division Five.
(d) Joanna Hummel.
5. What does Ardell say to Pavlo in regards to the person Pavlo sees in the mirror?
(a) That he is only seeing his face and not his heart.
(b) That it isn't Pavlo Hummel anymore.
(c) That Pavlo can't see beyond himself.
(d) That the person is his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man whose wallet Pavlo was accused of stealing?
2. What does Pavlo tell Pierce his name really is?
3. What was the answer to Pavlo's question to Ardell?
4. After the Corporal and Pavlo meet, what does Pavlo say in the barracks is so important about being a good soldier?
5. Who addresses the trainees when called to formation in Act 1, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pavlo's answer Kress regarding stealing and how does this provide an insight into Pavlo's egocentric nature?
2. How does the action unfolding in Act 2, Part 4 blur the line between delusion and reality in Pavlo's mind?
3. How does the playwright use both the inconsistent plot-line and paradoxical aspects of Pavlo's character traits to create an introduction that makes the audience want to watch more?
4. This is a play that bases its dramatizations of the main character's life by employing a "collage effect," scenes seemingly unrelated and presented in a somewhat random fashion but creating an artistic overall understanding of the plot. Explain how the scenes of this act add different perspectives to Pavlo's "collage effect."
5. In what ways do the scenes where Pavlo displays helplessness give insight into the reasons for Pavlo's drive to become a better or "good" soldier?
6. Theorize about the significance of the story Pavlo relates of the girl who seemed like a "robot."
7. How does Pavlo's egocentrism and immaturity play a part in misleading him from the identity he so strongly desires?
8. .What do you think is the most important aspect/theme to know about Pavlo's motivation to have joined the army, and how is this shown throughout this section?
9. What might "Jody" in the final military song of Act 2, Part 5 represent or metaphorically speak to?
10. Theorize on the effect that the two stabbings have on Pavlo in Act 2, Part 3.
This section contains 1,724 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)