|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pierce first drunkenly say to Pavlo?
(a) That it's strange to be squad leader.
(b) That it's confusing being squad leader.
(c) That it's no fun being squad leader.
(d) That it's a riot being squad leader.
2. After Pavlo is finally redressed, what does Ardell comment upon as the trainees leave the barrack?
(a) What Pavlo's mother would say.
(b) How stupid Pavlo is.
(c) How good Pavlo looks.
(d) How ridiculous the situation is.
3. In the furnace room, what does Kress say to Parker about Pavlo?
(a) That PAvlo doesn't have a family.
(b) That Pavlo is stupid.
(c) That Pavlo will be honored.
(d) That Pavlo is a girl.
4. What do the trainees accuse Pavlo of when he arrives in the barracks ,
(a) Stealing their money.
(b) Wanting to go MIA.
(c) Skipping drill.
(d) Telling on them for drinking.
5. What does Pavlo say he did when he read the letter?
(a) Goes to church to pray.
(b) Lost his temper.
(c) Goes to a bar.
(d) Apologizes in another letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pavlo wearing when Ardell shouts at him to get up from under the blanket?
2. What is Ardell's first comment when he enters the barracks, in Act 1, Part 4?
3. What is Pavlo's punishment for supposedly masturbating instead of practicing drill?
4. When Ardell suggests that being dead makes Pavlo furious, how does Pavlo respond?
5. What does Pavlo do after weapons drill that nobody else does?
Short Essay Questions
1. .What do you think is the most important aspect/theme to know about Pavlo's motivation to have joined the army, and how is this shown throughout this section?
2. What can be deduced about Ardell's attitude and actions towards Pavlo in this part?
3. What dramatic changes occur to Pavlo and his mentality in Act 2, Part 4?
4. How is Pavlo egocentric, almost childish? Explore the ways in which these traits are dramatized.
5. In what ways can Pavlo be considered a classic "tragic figure" by the time the audience reaches Act 2, Part 4? Relate him to other well-known tragic figures in literature.
6. What noteworthy aspect to Pavlo is hinted at in his story about Joanna, and what does it reveal to the audience about a possibly consistent trait of his character and experience?
7. Compare and explain the relationship of Pavlo's enthusiasm for killing and what happens to Parham in Act 2, Part 4.
8. In the final section, Act 2, Part 5, in what ways does the playwright employ an anti-war message?
9. Pavlo believes that good soldiers are never helpless in any situation. How does this belief play out and dramatize itself in his experience with the Corporal and following scenes?
10. Tower mentions the North Star more than a few times throughout the play, and finally in Act 2, Part 4. Up until this point, what are the possible meanings of these references to the North Star?
This section contains 1,944 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)