|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game does Hendrix challenge Pavlo to when they first meet?
2. What is Pavlo's response to Ardell's comment about a radiation attack?
(a) He nods his head violently until Ardell stops him.
(b) He repeats the word "no" over and over.
(c) He laughs in Ardell's face.
(d) He begins to cry.
3. After the Corporal and Pavlo meet, what does Pavlo say in the barracks is so important about being a good soldier?
(a) To run and turn.
(b) To run and move.
(c) To hear and know.
(d) To see and move.
4. What is the general response of the trainees to Hinkle's discovery about Pavlo's being in bed for too long?
(a) The game continues and jokes are made about Pavlo.
(b) The game abruptly ends.
(c) The trainees become confused.
(d) The trainees fight about what to do.
5. What does Pavlo do after weapons drill that nobody else does?
(a) Jumping jacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pavlo's first question to Ardell after he is attacked in the barracks?
2. What is jokingly mentioned at the fact that Pavlo is still in bed while the soldiers are playing a game?
3. The corporal tells Pavlo that if he's lucky, he'll be . . .
4. Upon finding Pavlo in the state he is in, what does Hinkle do upon returning to the game?
5. What does Pavlo realize after explaining what happened to Ardell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the possible complexities of symbolism behind Pavlo's wound in this play.
2. After some prompting from Ardell in the final Act, Pavlo shouts repeatedly that it's all shit. His shouts eventually become a scream of rage and frustration. What can we say Ardell represents throughout this play for Pavlo, as well as for the audience?
3. Identify two juxtaposed aspects to Pavlo's character, and explain how they affect his identity.
4. Theorize as to Parham's purpose in the play besides being another wounded soldier/dead body for Pavlo to save in Act 2, Part 3.
5. In what way does Pavlo try to become "a good soldier"? Explain what seems to get in the way of this endeavor.
6. Theorize on the effect that the two stabbings have on Pavlo in Act 2, Part 3.
7. How are the depths of Pavlo's innocence defined in this scene?
8. What can the audience understand about Pavlo's mentality in Act 2, Part 4 when Pavlo shouts back to Ardell after being wounded that they can "hurt him as many times as they want?"
9. Theorize about what Yen might represent to Pavlo beyond the opportunity for sex.
10. What might "Jody" in the final military song of Act 2, Part 5 represent or metaphorically speak to?
This section contains 1,576 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)