|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the furnace room after Pierce accuses Pavlo's stories of being lies, what does Pierce ask Pavlo?
(a) Whether he has any pride.
(b) What he wants to be in ten years.
(c) When he's leaving the army.
(d) Why he is in the army.
2. What age does Pavlo remember being while holding the grenade?
(a) Three years old.
(b) Sixteen years old.
(c) Five years old.
(d) Eight years old.
3. What are the soldiers in the barracks gambling with?
4. What reason for practicing weapons drill does Pavlo give to Towers when asked?
(a) In order to be a good soldier.
(b) He can't stand still without practicing.
(c) Someone told him to.
(d) He is bored.
5. Who addresses the trainees when called to formation in Act 1, Part 2?
(a) A stand-in messenger for the Sergeant.
(d) Captain A.
Short Answer Questions
1. The corporal tells Pavlo that if he's lucky, he'll be . . .
2. What does Hinkle realize Pavlo has done to himself while the other trainees are playing their game?
3. What happens after the whistle blows?
4. What two words does Ardell claim will be of meaning to all people after this event?
5. What does Pavlo say is the reason behind lying to his mother about what time his train was leaving?
Short Essay Questions
1. After some prompting from Ardell in the final Act, Pavlo shouts repeatedly that it's all shit. His shouts eventually become a scream of rage and frustration. What can we say Ardell represents throughout this play for Pavlo, as well as for the audience?
2. How has Pavlo dealt with struggles concerning his family/social relations? Could it be surmised that the "wound" Towers is referring to may also relate to Pavlo's wounds of the ill-effects of poor relationships throughout his life? How?
3. How does Pavlo's answer Kress regarding stealing and how does this provide an insight into Pavlo's egocentric nature?
4. Compare and explain the relationship of Pavlo's enthusiasm for killing and what happens to Parham in Act 2, Part 4.
5. How is Pavlo's understanding of acceptable social engagement impaired? Back up your answer with examples.
6. What can the audience understand about Pavlo's mentality in Act 2, Part 4 when Pavlo shouts back to Ardell after being wounded that they can "hurt him as many times as they want?"
7. What is the significance of Kress's comment about Pierce fetching him a soda while getting Pavlo a medic?
8. How is Pavlo made to feel helpless in Part 4?
9. What may be the significance or playwright's purpose for Pavlo realizing he's dead so far along into the play and after the climax?
10. How is Brisbey's talk on the depth of the ocean a metaphorical slight towards Pavlo?
This section contains 2,011 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)