|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hinkle ordered to do upon the realization that Pavlo is close to death?
(a) To tell Ardell.
(b) To make up a story.
(c) To get a medic.
(d) To tell Towers.
2. What does Pavlo say is the reason behind lying to his mother about what time his train was leaving?
(a) He didn't want to embarrass himself at the station.
(b) He didn't want to see her go.
(c) He didn't want her embarrassing him at the station.
(d) He didn't want her seeing his father.
3. What happens after the whistle blows?
(a) Ardell leaves the room.
(b) A squad of army recruits enter.
(c) Pavlo runs out of the room.
(d) A messenger arrives.
4. After Pavlo is finally redressed, what does Ardell comment upon as the trainees leave the barrack?
(a) How ridiculous the situation is.
(b) How stupid Pavlo is.
(c) How good Pavlo looks.
(d) What Pavlo's mother would say.
5. Where and when does this story take place?
(a) During Apartheid in the 1930s.
(b) During the Vietnam War in the 1960s.
(c) During The Holocaust in 1940.
(d) During the maiden voyage of the Titanic in 1912.
6. How in the barracks during the conversation about Pavlo joining infantry did Pavlo claim his mother would react?
(a) Be embarrassed.
(b) Be hugely excited.
(c) Start to cry in frustration.
(d) Divorce his father.
7. What kind of test are the trainees waiting to hear the results of?
(d) Physical ability.
8. What is Pavlo's first question to Ardell after he is attacked in the barracks?
(a) Who was it thhat beat him up.
(b) Where he was supposed to go.
(c) What was going to happen next.
(d) Why he was attacked.
9. What does Pierce urge Pavlo to do in response to the people tormenting him?
(a) To announce his problem in the barracks.
(b) To fight back.
(c) To make friends with them.
(d) To quit the army.
10. What did the man in the Corporal's story do to the two Vietnamese people?
(a) Spit in their faces.
(b) Begged for forgiveness.
(c) Shot them dead.
(d) Took their weapons.
11. What does Ardell tell Pavlo to do after being found close to death?
(a) Drink some water.
(b) Take off his jacket.
(c) To put on his dress uniform.
(d) Get some rest.
12. What does Ardell remind Pavlo of in the event of a radiation attack?
(a) That he has hope to survive.
(b) That he has a protective suit.
(c) That he should look for a cave/underground place.
(d) That he's completely helpless.
13. What does Ardell instruct Pavlo on in the event of a gas attack?
(a) How to stay low to the ground.
(b) How to hold one's breath.
(c) How to put on his gas mask .
(d) How to call for back-up.
14. What does Pavlo realize after explaining what happened to Ardell?
(a) Ardell is his father.
(b) He had saved his own life.
(c) The explosion killed Pavlo himself.
(d) He has been wounded.
15. What does Ardell say to Pavlo in regards to the person Pavlo sees in the mirror?
(a) That the person is his mother.
(b) That he is only seeing his face and not his heart.
(c) That it isn't Pavlo Hummel anymore.
(d) That Pavlo can't see beyond himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Parker and Kress leave the furnace room, what does Pierce make Pavlo do?
2. What reason for practicing weapons drill does Pavlo give to Towers when asked?
3. What is the occupation of the main character?
4. Who breaks up the fight between Kress and Pavlo after the test?
5. What does Pavlo remind Tower of when told he had to follow through on his punishment?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)