|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the story about that Pavlo tells Pierce in the furnace room?
(a) His uncle being executed.
(b) How he used to love fire.
(c) When he drank too much in high school.
(d) His mother's insanity.
2. Where and when does this story take place?
(a) During The Holocaust in 1940.
(b) During the Vietnam War in the 1960s.
(c) During the maiden voyage of the Titanic in 1912.
(d) During Apartheid in the 1930s.
3. What is the general response of the trainees to Hinkle's discovery about Pavlo's being in bed for too long?
(a) The game abruptly ends.
(b) The trainees fight about what to do.
(c) The game continues and jokes are made about Pavlo.
(d) The trainees become confused.
4. Who addresses the trainees when called to formation in Act 1, Part 2?
(b) A stand-in messenger for the Sergeant.
(c) Captain A.
5. What does Pavlo also explain thinking about while holding the grenade?
(a) How well his hometown baseball coach could throw.
(b) How his dad taught him to throw.
(c) How he might not live.
(d) How he would cover the granade with his body.
6. Who in Towers's story to the trainees did Towers surprise during World War II?
(a) A platoon of German Navy.
(b) A Jewish man.
(c) A squad of German amory trucks.
(d) A German.
7. What is Pavlo accused of being by the trainees?
(a) A thief.
(b) A prisoner.
(c) A murderer.
(d) A liar.
8. Who does Pavlo says writes to him concerning Joanna?
(a) His sister.
(b) His brother.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mother.
9. Who is the first person to enter the barracks that is not a trainee in Act 1, Part 4?
(b) The corporal.
10. What is the subject of the first army song sung?
(a) How fun it is to be in the army.
(b) How they are only strong in numbers.
(c) How unfaithful women are when their men are at war.
(d) How having a gun makes you weaker.
11. What does Pavlo tell Pierce his name really is?
12. Who are the two characters in the furnace room when Pavlo first enters?
(a) Towers and Ardell.
(b) Towers and Parker.
(c) Kress and Parker.
(d) Ardell and Kress.
13. What is Pavlo's first question to Tower?
(a) How many push-ups he can do.
(b) How old is he.
(c) Where he's from.
(d) Why did he join the army.
14. What is the second question to Pavlo from Ardell?
(a) If he knows what happened.
(b) If he enjoys killing.
(c) Does he know who did it.
(d) If he will go home.
15. What does Pavlo do after weapons drill that nobody else does?
(a) Jumping jacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pavlo remind Tower of when told he had to follow through on his punishment?
2. What kind of a game do Pierce, Hinkle, and Kress set up?
3. Upon finding Pavlo in the state he is in, what does Hinkle do upon returning to the game?
4. Along with one other soldier, who must repeat their basic training?
5. How does Tower conclude his weapon drill in Act 1, Part 3?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)