|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the trainees accuse Pavlo of when he arrives in the barracks ,
(a) Stealing their money.
(b) Skipping drill.
(c) Telling on them for drinking.
(d) Wanting to go MIA.
2. In the furnace room, what does Kress say to Parker about Pavlo?
(a) That PAvlo doesn't have a family.
(b) That Pavlo is a girl.
(c) That Pavlo is stupid.
(d) That Pavlo will be honored.
3. Where do the Corporal and Pavlo meet for the first time?
(a) At a bar.
(b) The recreation hall.
(c) The swimming pool.
(d) During drill.
4. What is Pavlo's first question to Tower?
(a) How old is he.
(b) Where he's from.
(c) How many push-ups he can do.
(d) Why did he join the army.
5. The corporal tells Pavlo that if he's lucky, he'll be . . .
(a) Promoted to Lieutenant
(b) Given a new weapon.
(c) Assigned to infantry.
(d) Kicked out of the army.
6. Along with one other soldier, who must repeat their basic training?
7. In the furnace room after Pierce accuses Pavlo's stories of being lies, what does Pierce ask Pavlo?
(a) Why he is in the army.
(b) When he's leaving the army.
(c) What he wants to be in ten years.
(d) Whether he has any pride.
8. Who in Towers's story to the trainees did Towers surprise during World War II?
(a) A German.
(b) A platoon of German Navy.
(c) A Jewish man.
(d) A squad of German amory trucks.
9. What kind of a game do Pierce, Hinkle, and Kress set up?
(b) Black Jack.
(d) Crazy eights.
10. What is the occupation of the main character?
(a) An American spy.
(b) An American soldier.
(c) A ship hand.
(d) A Jewish Rabbi.
11. Who does Pavlo says writes to him concerning Joanna?
(a) His mother.
(b) His sister.
(c) His wife.
(d) His brother.
12. What does Pavlo also explain thinking about while holding the grenade?
(a) How he might not live.
(b) How he would cover the granade with his body.
(c) How his dad taught him to throw.
(d) How well his hometown baseball coach could throw.
13. As Hinkle goes out of the barracks, what does Kress ask him to do?
(a) Sing while he goes.
(b) Get him a soda.
(c) Forget it ever happened.
(d) Never come back.
14. What does Ardell remind Pavlo of in the event of a radiation attack?
(a) That he's completely helpless.
(b) That he should look for a cave/underground place.
(c) That he has hope to survive.
(d) That he has a protective suit.
15. What relative(s) does Pavlo say he has?
(a) A mother and half-brother.
(b) A father and step-mother.
(c) A half-sister and twin brother.
(d) A sister and half-brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the soldiers in the barracks gambling with?
2. What is Ardell's reason for not believing what he's seeing in Pavlo's mind?
3. After Parker and Kress leave the furnace room, what does Pierce make Pavlo do?
4. According to the Corporal, what were the two Vietnamese in his story wearing, although asking for help?
5. Who is Pavlo drunkenly talking to in the opening scene?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)