|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the two characters in the furnace room when Pavlo first enters?
(a) Kress and Parker.
(b) Towers and Parker.
(c) Towers and Ardell.
(d) Ardell and Kress.
2. What is Ardell's reason for not believing what he's seeing in Pavlo's mind?
(a) Because it doesn't make sense.
(b) Because it is so simple.
(c) Because it is so strange.
(d) Because it is so complicated.
3. When Pierce and Pavlo are speaking in the furnace room, what does Ardell do to Pavlo as the other trainees are in formation?
(a) Tells him to go home.
(b) Gives him a heavy rock to hold above his head.
(c) Runs him through weapons drill.
(d) Punches Pavlo.
4. What two words does Ardell claim will be of meaning to all people after this event?
(a) Pavlo Boy.
(b) Division Five.
(c) Joanna Hummel.
(d) Pavlo Hummel.
5. What country does the Corporal reveal he has been in when Pavlo and him first meet?
6. Who is the first person to enter the barracks that is not a trainee in Act 1, Part 4?
(b) The corporal.
7. When Pavlo asks how the man in the Corporal's story "knew," what was the Corporal's answer?
(a) That he just "knew."
(b) That this was the way it should be.
(c) That he had ESP.
(d) That he was a bit crazy.
8. Who does Pierce say he is worried about while he is drunk talking with Pavlo?
9. What does the Corporal say it is easy to do in Vietnam?
(a) Buy a new weapon.
(b) Get laid.
(c) Get a trip to Cambodia.
(d) Find a wife.
10. What is Hinkle ordered to do upon the realization that Pavlo is close to death?
(a) To make up a story.
(b) To tell Towers.
(c) To get a medic.
(d) To tell Ardell.
11. What is the story about that Pavlo tells Pierce in the furnace room?
(a) How he used to love fire.
(b) His uncle being executed.
(c) His mother's insanity.
(d) When he drank too much in high school.
12. Along with one other soldier, who must repeat their basic training?
13. What does Pavlo shout out at the end of Act 1, Part 4?
(a) That he should just "move and do."
(b) That he is "Pavlo Motherhumping Hummel."
(c) That he "can't see anything."
(d) That he is "finished."
14. In the furnace room, what does Kress say to Parker about Pavlo?
(a) That Pavlo is a girl.
(b) That PAvlo doesn't have a family.
(c) That Pavlo is stupid.
(d) That Pavlo will be honored.
15. What does Ardell do while helping Pavlo get dressed after his suicide attempt?
(a) Yells at him to wake up.
(b) Whistles a marching tune.
(c) Tells the other trainees to vacate the barrack.
(d) Sings a marching song.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pavlo have thrown over him when he once entered the barracks?
2. What is the general response of the trainees to Hinkle's discovery about Pavlo's being in bed for too long?
3. Where and when does this story take place?
4. What is Pavlo's first question to Tower?
5. After Pavlo is dressed after his suicide attempt, what does Ardell say that everyone is going to say about Pavlo?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)