|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Pavlo's first question to Tower?
(a) How old is he.
(b) Where he's from.
(c) Why did he join the army.
(d) How many push-ups he can do.
2. Where and when does this story take place?
(a) During The Holocaust in 1940.
(b) During the maiden voyage of the Titanic in 1912.
(c) During the Vietnam War in the 1960s.
(d) During Apartheid in the 1930s.
3. What is the subject of the first army song sung?
(a) How having a gun makes you weaker.
(b) How fun it is to be in the army.
(c) How unfaithful women are when their men are at war.
(d) How they are only strong in numbers.
4. After Pavlo is finally redressed, what does Ardell comment upon as the trainees leave the barrack?
(a) How ridiculous the situation is.
(b) How good Pavlo looks.
(c) What Pavlo's mother would say.
(d) How stupid Pavlo is.
5. When the trainees are called to formation by the second whistle blow of the play , what does Pavlo do while Pierce prepares to go?
(a) Tries to pick a fight with Parker.
(b) Refuses to go to formation.
(c) Begins singing.
(d) Asks Pierce not to go.
6. What does Hinkle realize Pavlo has done to himself while the other trainees are playing their game?
(a) Taken a bottle of sleeping pills and slashed his arm.
(b) Slashed his wrist and taken a whole bottle of aspirin.
(c) Snifffed airplane glue and slashed his wrist.
(d) Sniffed airplane glue and taken a whole bottle of aspirin.
7. After Parker and Kress leave the furnace room, what does Pierce make Pavlo do?
(a) Take off his jacket.
(b) Sing "When the Saints Go Marching In."
(d) Recite his general orders.
8. What does Pavlo shout out at the end of Act 1, Part 4?
(a) That he is "Pavlo Motherhumping Hummel."
(b) That he is "finished."
(c) That he "can't see anything."
(d) That he should just "move and do."
9. When Pavlo asks how the man in the Corporal's story "knew," what was the Corporal's answer?
(a) That he just "knew."
(b) That he had ESP.
(c) That this was the way it should be.
(d) That he was a bit crazy.
10. How in the barracks during the conversation about Pavlo joining infantry did Pavlo claim his mother would react?
(a) Start to cry in frustration.
(b) Divorce his father.
(c) Be embarrassed.
(d) Be hugely excited.
11. What two words does Ardell claim will be of meaning to all people after this event?
(a) Pavlo Hummel.
(b) Pavlo Boy.
(c) Joanna Hummel.
(d) Division Five.
12. What is Hinkle ordered to do upon the realization that Pavlo is close to death?
(a) To make up a story.
(b) To get a medic.
(c) To tell Towers.
(d) To tell Ardell.
13. What is Pierce doing when Pavlo first meets him?
(c) Doing push-ups.
14. What do the trainees accuse Pavlo of when he arrives in the barracks ,
(a) Wanting to go MIA.
(b) Stealing their money.
(c) Skipping drill.
(d) Telling on them for drinking.
15. When Ardell suggests that being dead makes Pavlo furious, how does Pavlo respond?
(a) By crying quietly.
(b) By agreeing with Ardell.
(c) By denying it.
(d) By running out of the room for air.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the general response of the trainees to Hinkle's discovery about Pavlo's being in bed for too long?
2. While Towers is giving bayonet instruction, what does he say one must have in order to use it properly?
3. After the Corporal and Pavlo meet, what does Pavlo say in the barracks is so important about being a good soldier?
4. Who addresses the trainees when called to formation in Act 1, Part 2?
5. After Pavlo is dressed after his suicide attempt, what does Ardell say that everyone is going to say about Pavlo?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)