|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pavlo asks how the man in the Corporal's story "knew," what was the Corporal's answer?
(a) That this was the way it should be.
(b) That he had ESP.
(c) That he was a bit crazy.
(d) That he just "knew."
2. Who is Pavlo drunkenly talking to in the opening scene?
(a) A janitor.
(b) A Vietnamese barmaid/prostitute.
(c) A repairman.
(d) A bartender.
3. What is Ardell's reason for not believing what he's seeing in Pavlo's mind?
(a) Because it is so complicated.
(b) Because it is so simple.
(c) Because it doesn't make sense.
(d) Because it is so strange.
4. According to the Corporal, what were the two Vietnamese in his story wearing, although asking for help?
(b) Dresses, although men.
(c) Satchel packets.
5. What does Ardell say to Pavlo in regards to the person Pavlo sees in the mirror?
(a) That the person is his mother.
(b) That it isn't Pavlo Hummel anymore.
(c) That Pavlo can't see beyond himself.
(d) That he is only seeing his face and not his heart.
6. What was the answer to Pavlo's question to Ardell?
(a) That Pavlo was about to be dead.
(b) That Joanna had written to Pavlo.
(c) That Ardell was going to kill him.
(d) That Pavlo killed another man.
7. What is Pavlo's first question to Ardell after he is attacked in the barracks?
(a) Who was it thhat beat him up.
(b) What was going to happen next.
(c) Where he was supposed to go.
(d) Why he was attacked.
8. What reason for practicing weapons drill does Pavlo give to Towers when asked?
(a) Someone told him to.
(b) He can't stand still without practicing.
(c) In order to be a good soldier.
(d) He is bored.
9. In the furnace room after Pierce accuses Pavlo's stories of being lies, what does Pierce ask Pavlo?
(a) Why he is in the army.
(b) When he's leaving the army.
(c) What he wants to be in ten years.
(d) Whether he has any pride.
10. Where and when does this story take place?
(a) During Apartheid in the 1930s.
(b) During The Holocaust in 1940.
(c) During the Vietnam War in the 1960s.
(d) During the maiden voyage of the Titanic in 1912.
11. What does Pierce first drunkenly say to Pavlo?
(a) That it's strange to be squad leader.
(b) That it's no fun being squad leader.
(c) That it's a riot being squad leader.
(d) That it's confusing being squad leader.
12. What happens after the whistle blows?
(a) Pavlo runs out of the room.
(b) A squad of army recruits enter.
(c) A messenger arrives.
(d) Ardell leaves the room.
13. What does Pavlo tell Pierce his name really is?
14. Who is the first person to enter the barracks that is not a trainee in Act 1, Part 4?
(a) The corporal.
15. What does Pavlo do after weapons drill that nobody else does?
(b) Jumping jacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pavlo wearing when Ardell shouts at him to get up from under the blanket?
2. What does Pierce urge Pavlo to do in response to the people tormenting him?
3. What does Ardell instruct Pavlo on in the event of a gas attack?
4. Where is Pavlo while Pierce, HInkle, and Kress are setting up their game?
5. How in the barracks during the conversation about Pavlo joining infantry did Pavlo claim his mother would react?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)