|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pavlo asks how the man in the Corporal's story "knew," what was the Corporal's answer?
(a) That this was the way it should be.
(b) That he just "knew."
(c) That he was a bit crazy.
(d) That he had ESP.
2. What happens after the whistle blows?
(a) A messenger arrives.
(b) A squad of army recruits enter.
(c) Ardell leaves the room.
(d) Pavlo runs out of the room.
3. What is Pavlo's response to Ardell's comment about a radiation attack?
(a) He nods his head violently until Ardell stops him.
(b) He begins to cry.
(c) He repeats the word "no" over and over.
(d) He laughs in Ardell's face.
4. Where do the Corporal and Pavlo meet for the first time?
(a) The recreation hall.
(b) During drill.
(c) At a bar.
(d) The swimming pool.
5. What does the Corporal say it is easy to do in Vietnam?
(a) Buy a new weapon.
(b) Get a trip to Cambodia.
(c) Get laid.
(d) Find a wife.
6. Who is the first person to enter the barracks that is not a trainee in Act 1, Part 4?
(c) The corporal.
7. What does Ardell first ask Pavlo?
(a) If he knows what happened.
(b) If he has killed.
(c) Where he thinks he's going.
(d) His age.
8. How does Pavlo first respond to the army recruits?
(a) He becomes agitated.
(b) He yells at them
(c) He looks for his wallet.
(d) He does not recognize them.
9. What reason for practicing weapons drill does Pavlo give to Towers when asked?
(a) In order to be a good soldier.
(b) He can't stand still without practicing.
(c) He is bored.
(d) Someone told him to.
10. After the Corporal and Pavlo meet, what does Pavlo say in the barracks is so important about being a good soldier?
(a) To hear and know.
(b) To see and move.
(c) To run and turn.
(d) To run and move.
11. What is happening in the barracks when Ardell first appears to find Pavlo near death?
(a) The trainees are making fun of Pavlo.
(b) Pavlo is fighting with Kress.
(c) Kress is making fun of Pavlo.
(d) The trainees are getting Pavlo to stand up.
12. What does Pavlo say he did when he read the letter?
(a) Apologizes in another letter.
(b) Goes to a bar.
(c) Lost his temper.
(d) Goes to church to pray.
13. Who breaks up the fight between Kress and Pavlo after the test?
14. What is the subject of the first army song sung?
(a) How unfaithful women are when their men are at war.
(b) How fun it is to be in the army.
(c) How having a gun makes you weaker.
(d) How they are only strong in numbers.
15. In the furnace room, what does Kress say to Parker about Pavlo?
(a) That Pavlo is stupid.
(b) That PAvlo doesn't have a family.
(c) That Pavlo is a girl.
(d) That Pavlo will be honored.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pavlo wearing when Ardell shouts at him to get up from under the blanket?
2. What is the second question to Pavlo from Ardell?
3. Who in Towers's story to the trainees did Towers surprise during World War II?
4. What are the soldiers in the barracks gambling with?
5. What is Hinkle ordered to do upon the realization that Pavlo is close to death?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)