Act 1, Part 1
• The scene is set during the Vietnam War in the late 1960's.
• Pavlo, a young American soldier, drunkenly rambles to a Vietnamese barmaid/prostitute (Yen, pronounced Ing) and another drunken soldier about a girl named Joanna that he was involved with and how his mother wrote Joanna a letter calling her a "slut."
• A grenade is thrown into the room and Pavlo drops to his knees and seizes the grenade.
• In the silence following the explosion, Ardell appears and asks Pavlo whether he has killed and whether he enjoyed it, and Pavlo's answer to both questions is "yes."
• Pavlo realizes the explosion killed him. Ardell suggests that being dead makes Pavlo furious, and at first Pavlo denies it.
• Then, Pavlo admits that he is angry and explains that when he picked up the grenade, he was thinking about throwing it away, reminiscing about how amazingly the...
This section contains 3,153 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)