|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author flashes back to what time in this section?
(a) When Paula was born
(b) When she graduated college
(c) When she got married
(d) When her mother and brothers returned to Santiago
2. When does Allende see her father again?
(a) When she gets married
(b) Three years later
(c) When she has a daughter
3. Where did Allende learn to speak English?
(a) From Tio Ramon
(b) Listening to the radio
(c) A school for British girls
(d) From her mother
4. Which one of Allende's brothers was a great scholar?
5. What does Allende wish for more than anything at this point?
(a) For Ernesto to get on with his life
(b) For Paula to reawaken
(c) For Willie to return
(d) For Pancho to return
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Tata not do after the death of Meme?
2. Why was Allende expelled from school?
3. What does Allende do after Paula has been in the hospital for 100 days?
4. How often is Allende allowed to see her daughter?
5. What is important to know about Paula at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the format of the book.
2. How did Allende come to know Salvador Allende, the future president of Chile?
3. What was the nature of Allende's affair with a married man in Caracas?
4. What is Paula's initial diagnosis and how does Allende feel when she realizes the nature of her daughter's illness?
5. What was the influence of Uncle Pablo in Allende's life?
6. What was life like for the newly-married Allende and her first husband, Michael?
7. What topic does Allende turn to during the dark days of waiting at the hospital in Spain?
8. What was Allende's job during the early days of her first marriage?
9. When did writing become an expression for Allende?
10. Why is Allende so adamant about pushing the doctors to wean Paula off oxygen?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)