|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of Allende's brothers ran away as a teenager and never returned?
2. Which of the following does Ernesto not do during Paula's illness?
(a) Leaves items under her pillow
(b) Visits every day
(c) Brings flowers
(d) Makes tape recorded messages
3. Who is Ernesto?
(a) Paula's son
(b) Allende's husband
(c) Paula's stepson
(d) Paula's husband
4. What does Allende wish for more than anything at this point?
(a) For Pancho to return
(b) For Ernesto to get on with his life
(c) For Paula to reawaken
(d) For Willie to return
5. Why does Allende decide to write down her history and stories?
(a) To help Paula reorient herself when she recovers
(b) To give to the historical society
(c) To teach a writing class
(d) To create a new book
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Allendes do at the mental institution?
2. In what business did Tata and his sons work?
3. How was Allende informed that her daughter was ill?
4. Why did Allende feel guilty about Paula's disease?
5. Allende states that her mother's side of the family was __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the spiritual connection Allende has with Paula at this time.
2. How old is Allende in this section and what is the state of her mental and physical conditions?
3. How does Paula die?
4. Describe the format of the book.
5. Compare Allende's physical surroundings with her internal state.
6. Why is Allende so grateful to have her mother with her in the hospital for a short while?
7. What does Allende recall about the political unrest in Lebanon where the family was living in the late 1950s?
8. How do Allende and Ernesto differ in their outlooks for Paula's condition?
9. What does the author call this section of the book?
10. Why does Allende decide to write this book?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)