|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Allende pledge to never use as a fictional character in anything she writes?
(d) Her mother
2. What position had Allende's father held in Peru?
(c) Ambassador to the Chilean embassy
(d) Secretary to the Chilean embassy
3. What was the basis for Allende's writing as a child?
(a) Outgoing personality
(c) Vivid imagination
(d) Gift for gab
4. What does Allende believe her task is at this point?
(a) To distract death so it cannot find Paula
(b) To remain calm
(c) To find better doctors
(d) To pray the rosary
5. Who was actually the policeman that Tio Ramon brought to the house to scare the children after they took chocolates?
(a) An embassy driver
(b) The owner of a cigar store
(c) Tio's secretary
(d) Tio's golf partner
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Allende wish for more than anything at this point?
2. What were Paula's last words to Allende before slipping into a coma?
3. Which one of Allende's brothers ran away as a teenager and never returned?
4. Who is Tomas?
5. What book did Allende read on the sly when her parents were out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Allende use art as a form of expression as a young girl?
2. What was life like for the newly-married Allende and her first husband, Michael?
3. Describe Ernesto's devotion to his wife, Paula.
4. Explain the courtship between Allende and her first husband, Michael.
5. Explain the spiritual connection Allende has with Paula at this time.
6. What topic does Allende turn to during the dark days of waiting at the hospital in Spain?
7. What is Allende's wish for Paula now and what does Allende say she tries to do to make it happen?
8. Why did Allende and her family have such a difficult time adapting to life in Caracas?
9. What information does Allende provide to begin her book?
10. What was the nature of Allende's affair with a married man in Caracas?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)