|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Paula do prior to her illness?
(a) Taught music theory
(b) Taught art history at a university
(c) Volunteered at the art institute
(d) Volunteered as a school psychologist
2. What does Allende wish for more than anything at this point?
(a) For Paula to reawaken
(b) For Pancho to return
(c) For Willie to return
(d) For Ernesto to get on with his life
3. When does Allende see her father again?
(a) Three years later
(c) When she gets married
(d) When she has a daughter
4. Where does Ernesto's father return to?
(b) The Amazon
5. What was the family joke about Allende?
(a) She squeaked when she laughed
(b) She walked like a duck
(c) Her ears are so big
(d) If her mother took the right child from the hospital
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Allende's most recent book at the time?
2. Who lures Allende into the woods for inappropriate reasons?
3. Who is Willie?
4. With whom does Allende and her family live with after their return home?
5. Where is Paula located when Allende visits her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Allende's daily routine in the hospital as she sits with Paula?
2. What does the author call this section of the book?
3. What definitive news does Allende receive about Paula's condition?
4. What are the details of transporting Paula to San Francisco and what is her medical state during the transfer?
5. Explain the courtship between Allende and her first husband, Michael.
6. Describe Tio Ramon's infatuation with Paula.
7. Why is Allende so grateful to have her mother with her in the hospital for a short while?
8. What does Allende recall about the political unrest in Lebanon where the family was living in the late 1950s?
9. How did Allende come to know Salvador Allende, the future president of Chile?
10. What does Allende share about her early school days in Santiago?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)