|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Allende try to force Paula's doctors to do?
(a) Wean Paula off oxygen
(b) Give Paula a blood transfusion
(c) Turn off Paula's life support
(d) Send Paula home
2. How old was Allende when she married her first husband, Michael?
3. What is important to know about Paula at this time?
(a) She is critically ill
(b) She has just graduated
(c) She is starting a business
(d) She has just married
4. Who is Tio Ramon?
(a) Allende's publisher
(b) Allende's brother-in-law
(c) The man who becomes Allende's father figure
(d) Allende's banker
5. Who is Willie?
(a) Allende's accountant
(b) Allende's driver
(c) Allende's editor
(d) Allende's husband
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies when Allende is very young?
2. What does Allende's mother give her to express herself?
3. What had Allende recently completed?
4. The author flashes back to what time in this section?
5. What was not hidden in Tio Ramon's wardrobe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the format of the book.
2. What happens to Allende's family after the death of Meme?
3. Describe Allende's son, Nicolas, during his teenage years in Caracas.
4. What other relatives come to the hospital to visit Paula?
5. How did Tio Ramon come to be a father figure for Allende?
6. What does Allende recall about the political unrest in Lebanon where the family was living in the late 1950s?
7. Why is Allende so grateful to have her mother with her in the hospital for a short while?
8. Why does Allende decide to write this book?
9. Explain the courtship between Allende and her first husband, Michael.
10. What is Allende's wish for Paula now and what does Allende say she tries to do to make it happen?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)