|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What college does Kris Kristofferson attend?
2. As Harvey explains in Chapter 39, Olga Samaroff is originally from ____________.
3. How long does Doc Holliday live after shooting his patient in Dallas?
4. What talent is the person with ESP also known for in Chapter 74?
5. Which part of the Armed Forces does Kris Kristofferson join?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it possible that William is a governor, a terrorist, and a prisoner within four years in Chapter 65?
2. How does Harvey use two different time periods as the element of surprise in "The Code of Love"?
3. Why are jealousy and a physical abnormality part of Chapter 70?
4. How is the song of the enemy used as a motivational anthem by Americans in Chapter 62?
5. How is Masonite discovered in "Stranger on the Road"?
6. Which other gift of Van Cliburn does Harvey reveal in Chapter 74?
7. What is the importance of "The Kiss" in Chapter 53?
8. Which president has a penchant for speed in "Drag-Strip Simpson," and how does Harvey document his hobby?
9. According to Chapter 41, what is a possible reason for "Dracula" to have been written?
10. What are the circumstances that cause a pilot to design an important medical advancement in "An Affair of the Heart"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of persistence by using the following stories as examples: Humphrey Bogart's refusal to be typecast in Chapter 25; the eventful publishing of Clarence Shepard Day's book in Chapter 51; Babe Ruth's acting setbacks in Chapter 52; and Colonel Sanders' unyielding desire to reject retirement and find a career that he enjoys in Chapter 54.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Rest of the Story," Harvey proves that fortune can come from the most unlikely places. Compare and contrast the styles and techniques of the four different stories that feature wealth, charity, a theme of rags to riches, and/or inheritance.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the combination of loyalty and irony as they are blended together by Harvey in Chapters 64 and 65. Include an explanation of Bob's unusual loyalty towards his friend in Chapter 64 and the ironic ending of the story. In addition, provide a description of William's loyalties in Chapter 65, his conflicting positions, and the irony of his father's identity.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)