|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Mississippi town does Bill live near in Chapter 66?
2. What year is the code that Harvey explains in Chapter 69 written?
3. Where is Leonard imprisoned in Chapter 47?
4. When does the teacher give Charlie a kiss in Chapter 53?
5. According to the women who write the code in Chapter 69, what prevents a woman from having an affair with two men?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Masonite discovered in "Stranger on the Road"?
2. How is it possible that William is a governor, a terrorist, and a prisoner within four years in Chapter 65?
3. How does Sam Houston know exactly what time to attack the enemy in "Napoleon of the West"?
4. Which president has a penchant for speed in "Drag-Strip Simpson," and how does Harvey document his hobby?
5. What is the importance of "The Kiss" in Chapter 53?
6. In Chapter 55, which ironies are included in the story about a robber?
7. How is the song of the enemy used as a motivational anthem by Americans in Chapter 62?
8. According to Chapter 41, what is a possible reason for "Dracula" to have been written?
9. What are some of the interesting facts about Kris Kristofferson in "Establishment Boy"?
10. What is unusual about the friendship that Harvey describes in "Inseparable"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perception is changed with Harvey's unveiling of key information in various stories. Select three examples of how the perception of people and/or events is altered by the information that Harvey reveals in each of them as well as the techniques that he uses in the process.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how people's lives can be different than their reputations might indicate by using examples from Chapters 41 and 43. Specifically, provide a comparison between Bram Stoker's known mannerisms and his unknown frustrations, how they are discovered, and their role in his book. Also, describe Queen Victoria's disturbing hobby in Chapter 43 along with the way it is exposed.
Essay Topic 3
Harvey points out the reasons behind some of the most interesting topics in his stories. Think of three examples of stories that explain a previously unknown reason for something. Analyze the methods that Harvey uses to accomplish this in the different settings.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)