|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Bob's friend that passes away in Chapter 64?
2. Who are the victims of the crime discussed in Chapter 48?
3. How many other prisoners escape with Churchill in Chapter 47?
4. Where do the Texas and Mexican armies meet in Chapter 42?
5. How does Anne reply to the teasing of Catherine in Chapter 70?
Short Essay Questions
1. What legend is explained in "Pelorus Jack"?
2. What is Olga's secret in Chapter 39?
3. How does a tragic event influence a politician in Chapter 44?
4. How does Harvey use two different time periods as the element of surprise in "The Code of Love"?
5. Which other gift of Van Cliburn does Harvey reveal in Chapter 74?
6. What is unusual about the friendship that Harvey describes in "Inseparable"?
7. What are the circumstances that cause a pilot to design an important medical advancement in "An Affair of the Heart"?
8. What invention is made through observing insects in "The Sting"?
9. How is Masonite discovered in "Stranger on the Road"?
10. Which president has a penchant for speed in "Drag-Strip Simpson," and how does Harvey document his hobby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perception is changed with Harvey's unveiling of key information in various stories. Select three examples of how the perception of people and/or events is altered by the information that Harvey reveals in each of them as well as the techniques that he uses in the process.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the surprise endings of The Rest of the Story by analyzing the techniques that Harvey uses in three different stories that feature an unexpected twist at their conclusion. Be sure to also include why those specific techniques were chosen by Harvey and the settings where they are the most effective.
Essay Topic 3
Lincoln's assassination is a popular topic for Harvey in the book.
1) Explain how Edwin's letter in Chapter 22 is connected to the assassination of Abraham Lincoln by coincidence.
2) Analyze the story about Mary, Lincoln's wife, in Chapter 28, and the issue that is discussed in the story.
3) Describe Lucy's engagement in Chapter 58 and how it might have influenced the tragic assassination of President Lincoln.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)