|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As told by Harvey in Chapter 21, when does Patton learn to read and write?
2. What item does the woman in Chapter 7 leave in her car as she pushes it over a cliff?
3. Which dictionary is Dr. James Murray hired to edit in Chapter 14?
4. Why does a rugby player pick up the ball during a game in Chapter 19?
5. As Harvey reveals in Chapter 29, what sport does DiMaggio try before baseball?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Edwin carry "The Letter" with him in Chapter 22?
2. What is the foreshadowing used in "Snow Man"?
3. What is the irony in Chapter 7?
4. How does an actress' past cause Harvey to include her story in Chapter 27?
5. What dilemma do two brothers have in "All in the Family"?
6. What issue does Harvey explore in the historical setting of Chapter 28?
7. Why is Edzard's painting puzzling to people in Chapter 36?
8. Who is "The Reluctant Vampire," and what is his story?
9. Which two events does Harvey discuss in "The Night Sin City Died"?
10. How does Dr. Pemberton inadvertently discover a popular soft drink formula?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the ironic and unexpected results of good intentions in Chapter 34 and 35, including Dr. Joseph's confusing efforts to invent a less painful way of execution and Artful Eddie's influence in his son's eventual recognition.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the combination of loyalty and irony as they are blended together by Harvey in Chapters 64 and 65. Include an explanation of Bob's unusual loyalty towards his friend in Chapter 64 and the ironic ending of the story. In addition, provide a description of William's loyalties in Chapter 65, his conflicting positions, and the irony of his father's identity.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how people's lives can be different than their reputations might indicate by using examples from Chapters 41 and 43. Specifically, provide a comparison between Bram Stoker's known mannerisms and his unknown frustrations, how they are discovered, and their role in his book. Also, describe Queen Victoria's disturbing hobby in Chapter 43 along with the way it is exposed.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)