|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the Mennonites travel to America from Russia?
2. What Massachusetts city is where the show is played in Chapter 10?
3. As told by Harvey in Chapter 21, when does Patton learn to read and write?
4. What type of execution is designed in Chapter 34?
5. What does Queen Anne do when she learns of Cornbury's costly hobby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unusual method for composing operas does Wagner use in "Wagner's Collaborator"?
2. How does an actress' past cause Harvey to include her story in Chapter 27?
3. What irony is Harvey depicting in "The Name of the Game"?
4. What is General Taylor's missed opportunity in Chapter 30?
5. What accidental invention is detailed in "Fall Where They May"?
6. Why does Edwin carry "The Letter" with him in Chapter 22?
7. What irony do the Mennonites enjoy in "The Truth of Grain"?
8. Why is Edzard's painting puzzling to people in Chapter 36?
9. What is the Lone Ranger's irony in "Who Was That Masked Man?"
10. What lesson is outlined in "Strong Man's Weakness"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the ironic and unexpected results of good intentions in Chapter 34 and 35, including Dr. Joseph's confusing efforts to invent a less painful way of execution and Artful Eddie's influence in his son's eventual recognition.
Essay Topic 2
Lincoln's assassination is a popular topic for Harvey in the book.
1) Explain how Edwin's letter in Chapter 22 is connected to the assassination of Abraham Lincoln by coincidence.
2) Analyze the story about Mary, Lincoln's wife, in Chapter 28, and the issue that is discussed in the story.
3) Describe Lucy's engagement in Chapter 58 and how it might have influenced the tragic assassination of President Lincoln.
Essay Topic 3
Paul Harvey has a very distinct style in writing the stories for the book.
1) Describe Harvey's writing style and the way it reflects his radio broadcasts.
2) Explain how Harvey builds the anticipation in the stories and maintains the reader's interest.
3) Analyze how Harvey uses the names of the subjects throughout the book in order to enhance the effect of the stories and his writing style.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)