|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Harriet go after the experience on the bus in Chapter 14?
2. What does Harriet do on Thanksgiving Day?
3. What does Ione send to the people at House of Curl while she is on vacation?
4. What kind of trip does Ione go on in Chapter 25?
5. According to Clyde, why would a relationship not work between him and Patty Jane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet hope to find Merry in Chapter 21? Who does Harriet spot with the crazy woman in Chapter 21?
2. Why does Patty Jane write to Avel's sisters in Chapter 11?
3. In Chapter 16, what does Patty Jane begin to dwell on as Harriet's absence draws out? Who does Patty Jane turn to for comfort?
4. Where does Harriet awake in Chapter 17? How does she figure out how she got to this place? What does Harriet realize when she looks at the newspaper?
5. Where do Reese, Clyde, and Harriet find Thor at Temple Curry's home? What does Temple tell them about her past and how she came to be with Thor?
6. Why does Patty Jane urge Harriet to see a doctor in Chapter 25? What do Patty Jane and Nora discover one day after Harriet fails to return from napping?
7. What does Patty Jane attend in Chapter 18? What does she find incomprehensible about the event?
8. How does Nora deal with her father's reappearance?
9. Where does Ione go in Chapter 25? What does she learn when she returns home?
10. What does Harriet realize about drinking in Chapter 14? How does Patty Jane react when Harriet returns home drunk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Nora. What does she reveal of her character while she is the narrator in the epilogue and prologue? Describe her relationships with her parents. What are her defining character traits?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl," Lorna Landvik. What other books has she written? Is this novel similar to her other works in term of plot, tone and genre? How is her work received by critics?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the death and illness motif in "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who dies in the novel and how do these deaths affect the characters and plot? What are the reasons for their deaths? What do the reactions of the loved ones left behind reveal of their relationships? How does Thor's injury affect his life and the lives of the other characters?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)