|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what condition does Patty Jane find Harriet upon returning home in Chapter 11?
2. What state is Harriet in when Patty Jane and Nora check on her in Chapter 25?
3. What does Thor tell Ione about in their native language in Chapter 25?
4. How many months pass before Ione returns from her trip?
5. Why do Harriet's work habits change in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Harriet doing when she runs into Reese in Chapter 18? What does Reese give her?
2. Where do Reese, Clyde, and Harriet find Thor at Temple Curry's home? What does Temple tell them about her past and how she came to be with Thor?
3. What do the doctors tell Ione and Patty Jane about Thor's condition in Chapter 23?
4. Why does Patty Jane write to Avel's sisters in Chapter 11?
5. What is Harriet doing one day when she sees a school bus pass by? Why is the passing of the school bus significant?
6. How does Nora deal with her father's reappearance?
7. How does Harriet end up homeless in Chapter 16? What does she realize will always provide her with a place to sleep?
8. How does Reese help Harriet in Chapters 18 and 19?
9. Why does Harriet hope to find Merry in Chapter 21? Who does Harriet spot with the crazy woman in Chapter 21?
10. How does Thor's reappearance affect Patty Jane and Clyde's relationship in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the relationships between Harriet and Avel and Harriet and Reese. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationships? Are they well-suited for one another? How does Harriet handle Avel's untimely death? How does Reese help Harriet pick up the pieces?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of separation in the novel. What are some examples of separation in the novel? How do these examples of separation affect the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the death and illness motif in "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who dies in the novel and how do these deaths affect the characters and plot? What are the reasons for their deaths? What do the reactions of the loved ones left behind reveal of their relationships? How does Thor's injury affect his life and the lives of the other characters?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)