|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Reese invite Harriet to in Chapter 18?
2. What is Ione concerned about regarding Nora in Chapter 20?
3. Who does Patty Jane turn to for comfort in Chapter 16?
4. What shames Patty Jane in Chapter 12?
5. Who does Harriet see in the bar with the crazy woman in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thor's reappearance affect Patty Jane and Clyde's relationship in Chapter 23?
2. What does Harriet realize about drinking in Chapter 14? How does Patty Jane react when Harriet returns home drunk?
3. What prompts Patty Jane to kick Harriet out in Chapter 15?
4. How does Reese help Harriet in Chapters 18 and 19?
5. What do the doctors tell Ione and Patty Jane about Thor's condition in Chapter 23?
6. Where does Ione go in Chapter 25? What does she learn when she returns home?
7. What happens to Harriet while she is riding on a bus in Chapter 14? Where does Harriet go afterward?
8. What business does Patty Jane start in Chapter 11?
9. In Chapter 13, why does Clyde insist he and Patty Jane cannot have a relationship?
10. Describe Reese and Harriet's wedding in Chapter 24.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Patty Jane. What are her defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does she face throughout the novel? What are her goals and motives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the death and illness motif in "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who dies in the novel and how do these deaths affect the characters and plot? What are the reasons for their deaths? What do the reactions of the loved ones left behind reveal of their relationships? How does Thor's injury affect his life and the lives of the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of separation in the novel. What are some examples of separation in the novel? How do these examples of separation affect the characters?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)