|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does Harriet sing her favorite verse of in Chapter 24?
2. Why does Patty Jane decide to go to school in Chapter 12?
3. How does Temple Curry react when Reese, Clyde, and Harriet arrive at her house in Chapter 22?
4. What does Clyde tell Patty Jane cannot happen again in Chapter 13?
5. What is Harriet sick with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ione go in Chapter 25? What does she learn when she returns home?
2. How does Reese help Harriet in Chapters 18 and 19?
3. How does Thor's reappearance affect Patty Jane and Clyde's relationship in Chapter 23?
4. What happens to Harriet while she is riding on a bus in Chapter 14? Where does Harriet go afterward?
5. Where does Harriet awake in Chapter 17? How does she figure out how she got to this place? What does Harriet realize when she looks at the newspaper?
6. How does Nora deal with her father's reappearance?
7. What does Patty Jane discover one day when she returns home in Chapter 11? Why are Patty Jane and Ione especially worried?
8. What do the doctors tell Ione and Patty Jane about Thor's condition in Chapter 23?
9. What prompts Patty Jane to kick Harriet out in Chapter 15?
10. How does Harriet end up homeless in Chapter 16? What does she realize will always provide her with a place to sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who are the members of Patty Jane's family? How important is family to Patty Jane? What obstacles does Patty Jane face relating to her family? How does her family help her to overcome obstacles in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationships between Harriet and Avel and Harriet and Reese. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationships? Are they well-suited for one another? How does Harriet handle Avel's untimely death? How does Reese help Harriet pick up the pieces?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. How important is the setting to a novel? What if the novel had been set in a different place and time? In your opinion, would the choices of main characters be different? If so, how?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)