|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Clyde decide to get a job?
2. What do Patty Jane and Ione think Harriet has done in Chapter 11?
3. What does Reese arrange for Harriet in Chapter 19?
4. Who does Patty Jane turn to for comfort in Chapter 16?
5. What does the doctor tell Patty Jane and Ione about Thor in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thor's reappearance affect Patty Jane and Clyde's relationship in Chapter 23?
2. Describe Reese and Harriet's wedding in Chapter 24.
3. What spurs Patty Jane to begin looking for a job? What trouble does she run into?
4. Where does Harriet awake in Chapter 17? How does she figure out how she got to this place? What does Harriet realize when she looks at the newspaper?
5. What prompts Patty Jane to kick Harriet out in Chapter 15?
6. Where does Ione go in Chapter 25? What does she learn when she returns home?
7. What business does Patty Jane start in Chapter 11?
8. Why does Harriet hope to find Merry in Chapter 21? Who does Harriet spot with the crazy woman in Chapter 21?
9. What happens to Harriet while she is riding on a bus in Chapter 14? Where does Harriet go afterward?
10. What does Harriet realize about drinking in Chapter 14? How does Patty Jane react when Harriet returns home drunk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How important is the setting to a novel? What if the novel had been set in a different place and time? In your opinion, would the choices of main characters be different? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of alcoholism in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." What are some examples of when alcohol leads to problems for the characters, particularly Harriet. How did Patty Jane's and Harriet's parents' alcoholism affect them?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationships between Harriet and Avel and Harriet and Reese. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationships? Are they well-suited for one another? How does Harriet handle Avel's untimely death? How does Reese help Harriet pick up the pieces?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)