|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Temple Curry's house described?
2. According to Clyde, why would a relationship not work between him and Patty Jane?
3. How does Patty Jane decide on the topic of the lectures she will hold at her business?
4. What is Reese's job?
5. What kind of trip does Ione go on in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what does Patty Jane begin to dwell on as Harriet's absence draws out? Who does Patty Jane turn to for comfort?
2. What is Harriet doing when she runs into Reese in Chapter 18? What does Reese give her?
3. What does Patty Jane attend in Chapter 18? What does she find incomprehensible about the event?
4. What business does Patty Jane start in Chapter 11?
5. Why does Patty Jane urge Harriet to see a doctor in Chapter 25? What do Patty Jane and Nora discover one day after Harriet fails to return from napping?
6. How does Nora deal with her father's reappearance?
7. Where do Reese, Clyde, and Harriet find Thor at Temple Curry's home? What does Temple tell them about her past and how she came to be with Thor?
8. What does Harriet realize about drinking in Chapter 14? How does Patty Jane react when Harriet returns home drunk?
9. How does Reese help Harriet in Chapters 18 and 19?
10. What prompts Patty Jane to kick Harriet out in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the parent-child relationships in the novel. Discuss the ups and downs of the following relationships:
a) Patty Jane and Nora
b) Ione and Thor
c) Thor and Nora
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Nora. What does she reveal of her character while she is the narrator in the epilogue and prologue? Describe her relationships with her parents. What are her defining character traits?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of marriage in the novel. Describe Patty Jane's marriage to Thor. Describe Harriet's marriage to Reese. Are these successful marriages? What do these characters think of marriage?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)