|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Patty Jane unhappy with Harriet when she returns home in Chapter 14?
2. How does Nora's relationship with her mother change as she becomes a teenager?
3. What is Reese's job?
4. What is Ione concerned about regarding Nora in Chapter 20?
5. Where does Harriet go after the experience on the bus in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Patty Jane discover one day when she returns home in Chapter 11? Why are Patty Jane and Ione especially worried?
2. How does Nora deal with her father's reappearance?
3. In Chapter 13, why does Clyde insist he and Patty Jane cannot have a relationship?
4. How does Harriet end up homeless in Chapter 16? What does she realize will always provide her with a place to sleep?
5. Where does Ione go in Chapter 25? What does she learn when she returns home?
6. How does Thor's reappearance affect Patty Jane and Clyde's relationship in Chapter 23?
7. What spurs Patty Jane to begin looking for a job? What trouble does she run into?
8. Describe Reese and Harriet's wedding in Chapter 24.
9. How does Reese help Harriet in Chapters 18 and 19?
10. What prompts Patty Jane to kick Harriet out in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of alcoholism in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." What are some examples of when alcohol leads to problems for the characters, particularly Harriet. How did Patty Jane's and Harriet's parents' alcoholism affect them?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Patty Jane's relationships with Thor and Clyde. How does she meet each of these men? What are their first impressions of one another? What problems arise in Patty Jane's marriage to Thor? Who is better suited to Patty Jane, Thor or Clyde?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Patty Jane's beauty salon, House of Curl. Why does she open this business? How does running this business help Patty Jane grieve the loss of her husband? Who does she meet because of the beauty parlor?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)