|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Patty Jane and Clyde find themselves rolling in the snow in Chapter 13?
2. How do Harriet's work habits change in Chapter 15?
3. Why is Patty Jane unhappy with Harriet when she returns home in Chapter 14?
4. What is the name of Patty Jane's new business?
5. Who does Patty Jane think of on Thanksgiving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Harriet doing one day when she sees a school bus pass by? Why is the passing of the school bus significant?
2. What does Patty Jane decide to do at the House of Curl in Chapter 12?
3. Why does Harriet hope to find Merry in Chapter 21? Who does Harriet spot with the crazy woman in Chapter 21?
4. What spurs Patty Jane to begin looking for a job? What trouble does she run into?
5. What happens to Harriet while she is riding on a bus in Chapter 14? Where does Harriet go afterward?
6. Where does Ione go in Chapter 25? What does she learn when she returns home?
7. Why does Patty Jane write to Avel's sisters in Chapter 11?
8. How does Harriet end up homeless in Chapter 16? What does she realize will always provide her with a place to sleep?
9. What does Patty Jane discover one day when she returns home in Chapter 11? Why are Patty Jane and Ione especially worried?
10. Where does Harriet awake in Chapter 17? How does she figure out how she got to this place? What does Harriet realize when she looks at the newspaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Landvik have chosen to skip ahead twenty years?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Nora. What does she reveal of her character while she is the narrator in the epilogue and prologue? Describe her relationships with her parents. What are her defining character traits?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of grief in the novel. What are some examples of grief or grieving in the novel? Why are the characters grieving in these examples?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)