|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora wonder about her mother and Clyde in Chapter 17?
2. How much money did Reese leave for Harriet?
3. Why is the House of Curl so busy in Chapter 25?
4. How does Nora react to her father's reappearance in Chapter 23?
5. Where does Reese invite Harriet to in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ione go in Chapter 25? What does she learn when she returns home?
2. What does Patty Jane attend in Chapter 18? What does she find incomprehensible about the event?
3. Describe Reese and Harriet's wedding in Chapter 24.
4. Why does Harriet hope to find Merry in Chapter 21? Who does Harriet spot with the crazy woman in Chapter 21?
5. What does Patty Jane decide to do at the House of Curl in Chapter 12?
6. Why does Patty Jane write to Avel's sisters in Chapter 11?
7. What happens to Harriet while she is riding on a bus in Chapter 14? Where does Harriet go afterward?
8. What prompts Patty Jane to kick Harriet out in Chapter 15?
9. What is Harriet doing one day when she sees a school bus pass by? Why is the passing of the school bus significant?
10. How does Harriet end up homeless in Chapter 16? What does she realize will always provide her with a place to sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three examples of conflict in the novel. What are the causes of these conflicts? How do they affect the characters? How are these conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in "Patty Jane's House of Curl"?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Nora. What does she reveal of her character while she is the narrator in the epilogue and prologue? Describe her relationships with her parents. What are her defining character traits?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)