|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thor tell Ione about in their native language in Chapter 25?
2. How does the relationship between Patty Jane and Clyde change in Chapter 16?
3. What does Patty Jane go to school to become in Chapter 12?
4. Who does Merry get into an argument with in Chapter 21?
5. What is the name of Patty Jane's new business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Reese, Clyde, and Harriet find Thor at Temple Curry's home? What does Temple tell them about her past and how she came to be with Thor?
2. Why does Patty Jane write to Avel's sisters in Chapter 11?
3. Where does Ione go in Chapter 25? What does she learn when she returns home?
4. Where does Harriet awake in Chapter 17? How does she figure out how she got to this place? What does Harriet realize when she looks at the newspaper?
5. What spurs Patty Jane to begin looking for a job? What trouble does she run into?
6. In Chapter 16, what does Patty Jane begin to dwell on as Harriet's absence draws out? Who does Patty Jane turn to for comfort?
7. Why does Harriet hope to find Merry in Chapter 21? Who does Harriet spot with the crazy woman in Chapter 21?
8. What is Harriet doing when she runs into Reese in Chapter 18? What does Reese give her?
9. In Chapter 13, why does Clyde insist he and Patty Jane cannot have a relationship?
10. What does Harriet realize about drinking in Chapter 14? How does Patty Jane react when Harriet returns home drunk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in "Patty Jane's House of Curl"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of grief in the novel. What are some examples of grief or grieving in the novel? Why are the characters grieving in these examples?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of alcoholism in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." What are some examples of when alcohol leads to problems for the characters, particularly Harriet. How did Patty Jane's and Harriet's parents' alcoholism affect them?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)