|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Harriet sick with?
2. How does the relationship between Patty Jane and Clyde change in Chapter 16?
3. What does Patty Jane go to school to become in Chapter 12?
4. What does the doctor tell Patty Jane and Ione about Thor in Chapter 23?
5. What is Reese's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Reese help Harriet in Chapters 18 and 19?
2. Where does Ione go in Chapter 25? What does she learn when she returns home?
3. What does Harriet realize about drinking in Chapter 14? How does Patty Jane react when Harriet returns home drunk?
4. How does Thor's reappearance affect Patty Jane and Clyde's relationship in Chapter 23?
5. In Chapter 13, why does Clyde insist he and Patty Jane cannot have a relationship?
6. What does Patty Jane decide to do at the House of Curl in Chapter 12?
7. What prompts Patty Jane to kick Harriet out in Chapter 15?
8. What do the doctors tell Ione and Patty Jane about Thor's condition in Chapter 23?
9. Why does Patty Jane write to Avel's sisters in Chapter 11?
10. What does Patty Jane discover one day when she returns home in Chapter 11? Why are Patty Jane and Ione especially worried?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of grief in the novel. What are some examples of grief or grieving in the novel? Why are the characters grieving in these examples?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the parent-child relationships in the novel. Discuss the ups and downs of the following relationships:
a) Patty Jane and Nora
b) Ione and Thor
c) Thor and Nora
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Landvik's use of humor in "Patty Jane's House of Curl." How does Landvik incorporate humor into the novel? What are some examples of humor? What type(s) of humor does she use?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)