|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patty Jane attend with Clyde in Chapter 18?
2. What is Harriet doing when a bus passes her in Chapter 18?
3. In what condition does Patty Jane find Harriet upon returning home in Chapter 11?
4. What does Ione send to the people at House of Curl while she is on vacation?
5. Who does Harriet see on the bus in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Harriet doing when she runs into Reese in Chapter 18? What does Reese give her?
2. How does Nora deal with her father's reappearance?
3. In Chapter 13, why does Clyde insist he and Patty Jane cannot have a relationship?
4. What prompts Patty Jane to kick Harriet out in Chapter 15?
5. What does Patty Jane decide to do at the House of Curl in Chapter 12?
6. Why does Patty Jane write to Avel's sisters in Chapter 11?
7. What business does Patty Jane start in Chapter 11?
8. Why does Harriet hope to find Merry in Chapter 21? Who does Harriet spot with the crazy woman in Chapter 21?
9. Where does Harriet awake in Chapter 17? How does she figure out how she got to this place? What does Harriet realize when she looks at the newspaper?
10. What does Patty Jane attend in Chapter 18? What does she find incomprehensible about the event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of alcoholism in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." What are some examples of when alcohol leads to problems for the characters, particularly Harriet. How did Patty Jane's and Harriet's parents' alcoholism affect them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl," Lorna Landvik. What other books has she written? Is this novel similar to her other works in term of plot, tone and genre? How is her work received by critics?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Harriet and Patty Jane. Do they have a strong bond? What past experiences have brought them closer together? How do they handle being separated from one another during Harriet's alcoholism? How does Patty Jane react to Harriet's illness? How does she help Harriet at this time?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)