|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Harriet and Nora do as a surprise in Chapter 24?
2. What does Thor tell Ione about in their native language in Chapter 25?
3. How does the relationship between Patty Jane and Clyde change in Chapter 16?
4. Where is Ione's gift to Harriet in Chapter 25 from?
5. What does Patty Jane attend with Clyde in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet hope to find Merry in Chapter 21? Who does Harriet spot with the crazy woman in Chapter 21?
2. Where does Ione go in Chapter 25? What does she learn when she returns home?
3. What does Patty Jane decide to do at the House of Curl in Chapter 12?
4. In Chapter 16, what does Patty Jane begin to dwell on as Harriet's absence draws out? Who does Patty Jane turn to for comfort?
5. What prompts Patty Jane to kick Harriet out in Chapter 15?
6. In Chapter 13, why does Clyde insist he and Patty Jane cannot have a relationship?
7. Where do Reese, Clyde, and Harriet find Thor at Temple Curry's home? What does Temple tell them about her past and how she came to be with Thor?
8. What is Harriet doing one day when she sees a school bus pass by? Why is the passing of the school bus significant?
9. Why does Patty Jane urge Harriet to see a doctor in Chapter 25? What do Patty Jane and Nora discover one day after Harriet fails to return from napping?
10. How does Thor's reappearance affect Patty Jane and Clyde's relationship in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Patty Jane's beauty salon, House of Curl. Why does she open this business? How does running this business help Patty Jane grieve the loss of her husband? Who does she meet because of the beauty parlor?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Landvik have chosen to skip ahead twenty years?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Harriet and Patty Jane. Do they have a strong bond? What past experiences have brought them closer together? How do they handle being separated from one another during Harriet's alcoholism? How does Patty Jane react to Harriet's illness? How does she help Harriet at this time?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)