|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harriet have a vague memory of upon waking up in a hotel room in Chapter 17?
2. What does Ione send to the people at House of Curl while she is on vacation?
3. What does Harriet find in the hotel room in Chapter 17?
4. Where is Ione's gift to Harriet in Chapter 25 from?
5. Why does Patty Jane decide to go to school in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Reese help Harriet in Chapters 18 and 19?
2. Where does Ione go in Chapter 25? What does she learn when she returns home?
3. What does Patty Jane discover one day when she returns home in Chapter 11? Why are Patty Jane and Ione especially worried?
4. In Chapter 16, what does Patty Jane begin to dwell on as Harriet's absence draws out? Who does Patty Jane turn to for comfort?
5. What does Patty Jane attend in Chapter 18? What does she find incomprehensible about the event?
6. In Chapter 13, why does Clyde insist he and Patty Jane cannot have a relationship?
7. What do the doctors tell Ione and Patty Jane about Thor's condition in Chapter 23?
8. Why does Patty Jane write to Avel's sisters in Chapter 11?
9. Where do Reese, Clyde, and Harriet find Thor at Temple Curry's home? What does Temple tell them about her past and how she came to be with Thor?
10. What business does Patty Jane start in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in "Patty Jane's House of Curl"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Landvik's use of humor in "Patty Jane's House of Curl." How does Landvik incorporate humor into the novel? What are some examples of humor? What type(s) of humor does she use?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who are the members of Patty Jane's family? How important is family to Patty Jane? What obstacles does Patty Jane face relating to her family? How does her family help her to overcome obstacles in the novel?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)