|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Ione give Harriet in Chapter 25?
2. What is Harriet sick with?
3. How does Patty Jane decide on the topic of the lectures she will hold at her business?
4. What is Harriet doing when a bus passes her in Chapter 18?
5. What shocks the women during the first lecture in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of alcoholism in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." What are some examples of when alcohol leads to problems for the characters, particularly Harriet. How did Patty Jane's and Harriet's parents' alcoholism affect them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss love and romance in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who does Patty Jane first fall in love with? How does this relationship sway her decisions and affect the rest of her life? Does she find true happiness with her husband? How does her love for Thor compare for her love for Clyde. How does Harriet's love for Avel compare to her love for Reese?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of separation in the novel. What are some examples of separation in the novel? How do these examples of separation affect the characters?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)