|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Clyde, why would a relationship not work between him and Patty Jane?
2. What shocks the women during the first lecture in Chapter 12?
3. How does Nora react to her father's reappearance in Chapter 23?
4. How does Harriet avoid living on the streets in Chapter 16?
5. How many months pass before Ione returns from her trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harriet realize about drinking in Chapter 14? How does Patty Jane react when Harriet returns home drunk?
2. Where do Reese, Clyde, and Harriet find Thor at Temple Curry's home? What does Temple tell them about her past and how she came to be with Thor?
3. What spurs Patty Jane to begin looking for a job? What trouble does she run into?
4. How does Reese help Harriet in Chapters 18 and 19?
5. What does Patty Jane attend in Chapter 18? What does she find incomprehensible about the event?
6. In Chapter 16, what does Patty Jane begin to dwell on as Harriet's absence draws out? Who does Patty Jane turn to for comfort?
7. Why does Harriet hope to find Merry in Chapter 21? Who does Harriet spot with the crazy woman in Chapter 21?
8. What is Harriet doing when she runs into Reese in Chapter 18? What does Reese give her?
9. What prompts Patty Jane to kick Harriet out in Chapter 15?
10. What does Patty Jane decide to do at the House of Curl in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss love and romance in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who does Patty Jane first fall in love with? How does this relationship sway her decisions and affect the rest of her life? Does she find true happiness with her husband? How does her love for Thor compare for her love for Clyde. How does Harriet's love for Avel compare to her love for Reese?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the parent-child relationships in the novel. Discuss the ups and downs of the following relationships:
a) Patty Jane and Nora
b) Ione and Thor
c) Thor and Nora
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Landvik have chosen to skip ahead twenty years?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)