|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Patty Jane decide to go to school in Chapter 12?
2. Why does Patty Jane urge Harriet to see a doctor in Chapter 25?
3. How much money did Reese leave for Harriet?
4. How is Temple Curry's house described?
5. Where is Harriet buying when she bumps into Reese in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Patty Jane attend in Chapter 18? What does she find incomprehensible about the event?
2. What does Patty Jane discover one day when she returns home in Chapter 11? Why are Patty Jane and Ione especially worried?
3. What happens to Harriet while she is riding on a bus in Chapter 14? Where does Harriet go afterward?
4. In Chapter 16, what does Patty Jane begin to dwell on as Harriet's absence draws out? Who does Patty Jane turn to for comfort?
5. Where does Harriet awake in Chapter 17? How does she figure out how she got to this place? What does Harriet realize when she looks at the newspaper?
6. What is Harriet doing one day when she sees a school bus pass by? Why is the passing of the school bus significant?
7. How does Reese help Harriet in Chapters 18 and 19?
8. What business does Patty Jane start in Chapter 11?
9. How does Thor's reappearance affect Patty Jane and Clyde's relationship in Chapter 23?
10. How does Nora deal with her father's reappearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of separation in the novel. What are some examples of separation in the novel? How do these examples of separation affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in "Patty Jane's House of Curl"?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Landvik have chosen to skip ahead twenty years?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)