|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state is Harriet in when Patty Jane and Nora check on her in Chapter 25?
2. How does Patty Jane decide on the topic of the lectures she will hold at her business?
3. What does Harriet do on Thanksgiving Day?
4. How does Nora's relationship with her mother change as she becomes a teenager?
5. What does Harriet realize when she notices the date on the newspaper in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Harriet awake in Chapter 17? How does she figure out how she got to this place? What does Harriet realize when she looks at the newspaper?
2. What prompts Patty Jane to kick Harriet out in Chapter 15?
3. Where do Reese, Clyde, and Harriet find Thor at Temple Curry's home? What does Temple tell them about her past and how she came to be with Thor?
4. What is Harriet doing when she runs into Reese in Chapter 18? What does Reese give her?
5. What spurs Patty Jane to begin looking for a job? What trouble does she run into?
6. Why does Patty Jane urge Harriet to see a doctor in Chapter 25? What do Patty Jane and Nora discover one day after Harriet fails to return from napping?
7. What does Patty Jane discover one day when she returns home in Chapter 11? Why are Patty Jane and Ione especially worried?
8. In Chapter 16, what does Patty Jane begin to dwell on as Harriet's absence draws out? Who does Patty Jane turn to for comfort?
9. How does Nora deal with her father's reappearance?
10. What business does Patty Jane start in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Patty Jane's relationships with Thor and Clyde. How does she meet each of these men? What are their first impressions of one another? What problems arise in Patty Jane's marriage to Thor? Who is better suited to Patty Jane, Thor or Clyde?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Nora. What does she reveal of her character while she is the narrator in the epilogue and prologue? Describe her relationships with her parents. What are her defining character traits?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss love and romance in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who does Patty Jane first fall in love with? How does this relationship sway her decisions and affect the rest of her life? Does she find true happiness with her husband? How does her love for Thor compare for her love for Clyde. How does Harriet's love for Avel compare to her love for Reese?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)