|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Harriet while riding the bus in Chapter 14?
2. What does Patty Jane attend with Clyde in Chapter 18?
3. What song does Harriet sing her favorite verse of in Chapter 24?
4. Who does Harriet see in the bar with the crazy woman in Chapter 21?
5. How does the relationship between Patty Jane and Clyde change in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ione go in Chapter 25? What does she learn when she returns home?
2. In Chapter 13, why does Clyde insist he and Patty Jane cannot have a relationship?
3. Where does Harriet awake in Chapter 17? How does she figure out how she got to this place? What does Harriet realize when she looks at the newspaper?
4. What does Patty Jane discover one day when she returns home in Chapter 11? Why are Patty Jane and Ione especially worried?
5. What business does Patty Jane start in Chapter 11?
6. How does Reese help Harriet in Chapters 18 and 19?
7. In Chapter 16, what does Patty Jane begin to dwell on as Harriet's absence draws out? Who does Patty Jane turn to for comfort?
8. Why does Patty Jane urge Harriet to see a doctor in Chapter 25? What do Patty Jane and Nora discover one day after Harriet fails to return from napping?
9. What do the doctors tell Ione and Patty Jane about Thor's condition in Chapter 23?
10. How does Harriet end up homeless in Chapter 16? What does she realize will always provide her with a place to sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the relationships between Harriet and Avel and Harriet and Reese. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationships? Are they well-suited for one another? How does Harriet handle Avel's untimely death? How does Reese help Harriet pick up the pieces?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three examples of conflict in the novel. What are the causes of these conflicts? How do they affect the characters? How are these conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl," Lorna Landvik. What other books has she written? Is this novel similar to her other works in term of plot, tone and genre? How is her work received by critics?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)