|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Thor's last name?
2. What does Avel return with in Chapter 6?
3. Where do Avel and Thor actually go on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4?
4. Who does Avel give his car keys to in Chapter 2?
5. What does Patty Jane become angry at Ione for in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Patty Jane and Ione's relationship change during Patty Jane's pregnancy?
2. What kind of job does Avel offer Thor, and why?
3. Who picks Harriet up in Chapter 2 and where do they go?
4. What does Avel give Harriet as an engagement present?
5. What does Patty Jane announce to Thor on the morning after their wedding? How do people react to the announcement?
6. What does Ione notice as Patty Jane's pregnancy becomes more obvious?
7. What happens two days after Thor goes missing? What does Avel do to find Thor?
8. What bet does Harriet make with Avel Ames in Chapter 2?
9. How does Avel set off a fight at a bar on New Year's Eve?
10. What news do Patty Jane and Harriet each receive in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who are the members of Patty Jane's family? How important is family to Patty Jane? What obstacles does Patty Jane face relating to her family? How does her family help her to overcome obstacles in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the death and illness motif in "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who dies in the novel and how do these deaths affect the characters and plot? What are the reasons for their deaths? What do the reactions of the loved ones left behind reveal of their relationships? How does Thor's injury affect his life and the lives of the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Landvik's use of humor in "Patty Jane's House of Curl." How does Landvik incorporate humor into the novel? What are some examples of humor? What type(s) of humor does she use?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)