|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Nora and her mother during the prologue of the novel?
2. What does Nora often imagine about her father in the prologue?
3. What does Thor want to buy the baby in Chapter 6?
4. Why does Avel often communicate with his sisters?
5. From which country have many of the residents of the community immigrated from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Patty Jane announce to Thor on the morning after their wedding? How do people react to the announcement?
2. Why is Avel happy about the fight in the bar which happens on New Year's Eve?
3. What is Harriet excited about in Chapter 9?
4. What memory does Nora recall about her mother and a man at a drugstore in the prologue?
5. What bet does Harriet make with Avel Ames in Chapter 2?
6. Why do Patty Jane and Harriet stay home on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4? What had their plans been?
7. How does Patty Jane and Ione's relationship change during Patty Jane's pregnancy?
8. What does Ione organize for the night before Avel is to leave for South America? What does Patty Jane tell Avel to do on that night?
9. What does Avel send Patty Jane in Chapter 9? What does she do with it?
10. What do we find out about Nora's father in the prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the death and illness motif in "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who dies in the novel and how do these deaths affect the characters and plot? What are the reasons for their deaths? What do the reactions of the loved ones left behind reveal of their relationships? How does Thor's injury affect his life and the lives of the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. How important is the setting to a novel? What if the novel had been set in a different place and time? In your opinion, would the choices of main characters be different? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the parent-child relationships in the novel. Discuss the ups and downs of the following relationships:
a) Patty Jane and Nora
b) Ione and Thor
c) Thor and Nora
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)