|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harriet think about Patty Jane's pregnancy?
2. Why do Patty Jane and Harriet stay home on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4?
3. What is the crazy woman arguing with the clerk at the store about in Chapter 7?
4. What brand of car is Avel driving when he meets Harriet in Chapter 2?
5. Why does the store clerk give Harriet and Ione a free item in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Patty Jane write to Avel's sisters in Chapter 11?
2. How does Patty Jane and Ione's relationship change during Patty Jane's pregnancy?
3. What bet does Harriet make with Avel Ames in Chapter 2?
4. In Chapter 16, what does Patty Jane begin to dwell on as Harriet's absence draws out? Who does Patty Jane turn to for comfort?
5. How does Ione anger Patty Jane in Chapter 9?
6. Why were Patty Jane and her sister raised by an aunt? What did the aunt's treatment of the girls spur Patty Jane to do?
7. What is the cause of the argument between Patty Jane and Thor in the grocery store?
8. What do the doctors tell Ione and Patty Jane about Thor's condition in Chapter 23?
9. How does Nora deal with her father's reappearance?
10. What business does Patty Jane start in Chapter 11?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Patty Jane's beauty salon, House of Curl. Why does she open this business? How does running this business help Patty Jane grieve the loss of her husband? Who does she meet because of the beauty parlor?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Nora. What does she reveal of her character while she is the narrator in the epilogue and prologue? Describe her relationships with her parents. What are her defining character traits?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret Patty Jane's relationships with Thor and Clyde. How does she meet each of these men? What are their first impressions of one another? What problems arise in Patty Jane's marriage to Thor? Who is better suited to Patty Jane, Thor or Clyde?
This section contains 1,527 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)