|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thor imagine during the photo shoot in Chapter 5?
2. What does Harriet think about Patty Jane's pregnancy?
3. Where does Patty Jane agree to go with Ione on Christmas Eve in Chapter 3?
4. Who looked after Patty Jane when her parents died?
5. Why does a fight occur in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Patty Jane discover one day when she returns home in Chapter 11? Why are Patty Jane and Ione especially worried?
2. How does Avel feel about his sisters? Why do Avel's sisters tell him he and Harriet must put off their wedding.
3. What is Harriet excited about in Chapter 9?
4. Who picks Harriet up in Chapter 2 and where do they go?
5. Where is "Patty Jane's House of Curl" set? What is the community like?
6. How does Nora deal with her father's reappearance?
7. How does Reese help Harriet in Chapters 18 and 19?
8. What does Avel send Patty Jane in Chapter 9? What does she do with it?
9. How does Patty Jane act after Thor's disappearance?
10. What does Patty Jane think about to reminisce about Harriet at her funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of separation in the novel. What are some examples of separation in the novel? How do these examples of separation affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss love and romance in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who does Patty Jane first fall in love with? How does this relationship sway her decisions and affect the rest of her life? Does she find true happiness with her husband? How does her love for Thor compare for her love for Clyde. How does Harriet's love for Avel compare to her love for Reese?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of alcoholism in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." What are some examples of when alcohol leads to problems for the characters, particularly Harriet. How did Patty Jane's and Harriet's parents' alcoholism affect them?
This section contains 1,506 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)