|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What argument does Avel make to his sisters about the business trip in Chapter 7?
2. How does Patty Jane feel about becoming a mother?
3. Where does Harriet say goodbye to Avel in Chapter 8?
4. Who looked after Patty Jane when her parents died?
5. Why does Avel offer Thor a modeling job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Thor go after his argument with Patty Jane in the grocery store?
2. What does Ione organize for the night before Avel is to leave for South America? What does Patty Jane tell Avel to do on that night?
3. What bet does Harriet make with Avel Ames in Chapter 2?
4. What happens two days after Thor goes missing? What does Avel do to find Thor?
5. Why were Patty Jane and her sister raised by an aunt? What did the aunt's treatment of the girls spur Patty Jane to do?
6. What is the cause of the argument between Patty Jane and Thor in the grocery store?
7. Why are Thor and Harriet not thrilled about Patty Jane's pregnancy?
8. What does Patty Jane announce to Thor on the morning after their wedding? How do people react to the announcement?
9. What memory does Nora recall about her mother and a man at a drugstore in the prologue?
10. What kind of job does Avel offer Thor, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three examples of conflict in the novel. What are the causes of these conflicts? How do they affect the characters? How are these conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the death and illness motif in "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who dies in the novel and how do these deaths affect the characters and plot? What are the reasons for their deaths? What do the reactions of the loved ones left behind reveal of their relationships? How does Thor's injury affect his life and the lives of the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Landvik have chosen to skip ahead twenty years?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)