|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crazy woman do before walking away in Chapter 7?
2. Why is Harriet writing a song in Chapter 9?
3. How does Avel get on in South America?
4. Why is Patty Jane angry at Thor in Chapter 6?
5. What is Ione pleased by in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Harriet awake in Chapter 17? How does she figure out how she got to this place? What does Harriet realize when she looks at the newspaper?
2. How does Avel set off a fight at a bar on New Year's Eve?
3. What is the cause of the argument between Patty Jane and Thor in the grocery store?
4. What does Harriet realize about drinking in Chapter 14? How does Patty Jane react when Harriet returns home drunk?
5. What news do Patty Jane and Harriet each receive in Chapter 10?
6. Where is "Patty Jane's House of Curl" set? What is the community like?
7. What has happened to the House of Curl in the Epilogue?
8. What does Ione organize for the night before Avel is to leave for South America? What does Patty Jane tell Avel to do on that night?
9. What happens to Harriet while she is riding on a bus in Chapter 14? Where does Harriet go afterward?
10. What does Patty Jane decide to do at the House of Curl in Chapter 12?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of grief in the novel. What are some examples of grief or grieving in the novel? Why are the characters grieving in these examples?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationships between Harriet and Avel and Harriet and Reese. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationships? Are they well-suited for one another? How does Harriet handle Avel's untimely death? How does Reese help Harriet pick up the pieces?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three examples of conflict in the novel. What are the causes of these conflicts? How do they affect the characters? How are these conflicts resolved?
This section contains 1,628 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)