|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Patty Jane's maiden name?
2. What kind of vehicle were the couples going to use on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4?
3. What does Patty Jane name her daughter?
4. How is the goodbye between Avel and Harriet described in Chapter 8?
5. What is Thor's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harriet show Avel when he returns to town in Chapter 6?
2. Why is Avel happy about the fight in the bar which happens on New Year's Eve?
3. What does Avel send Patty Jane in Chapter 9? What does she do with it?
4. What is the cause of the argument between Patty Jane and Thor in the grocery store?
5. Who picks Harriet up in Chapter 2 and where do they go?
6. Who is at the store when Harriet and Ione go to get cigarettes in Chapter 7?
7. What do we find out about Nora's father in the prologue?
8. What does Avel give Harriet as an engagement present?
9. What does Ione organize for the night before Avel is to leave for South America? What does Patty Jane tell Avel to do on that night?
10. Where is "Patty Jane's House of Curl" set? What is the community like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of grief in the novel. What are some examples of grief or grieving in the novel? Why are the characters grieving in these examples?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Nora. What does she reveal of her character while she is the narrator in the epilogue and prologue? Describe her relationships with her parents. What are her defining character traits?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who are the members of Patty Jane's family? How important is family to Patty Jane? What obstacles does Patty Jane face relating to her family? How does her family help her to overcome obstacles in the novel?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)