|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Nora and her mother during the prologue of the novel?
2. What does Thor imagine during the photo shoot in Chapter 5?
3. Who does Thor eventually spend the night with following his argument with Patty Jane in Chapter 6?
4. From which country have many of the residents of the community immigrated from?
5. What causes Patty Jane and Ione to become closer in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Patty Jane act after Thor's disappearance?
2. Why are Thor and Harriet not thrilled about Patty Jane's pregnancy?
3. What does Ione organize for the night before Avel is to leave for South America? What does Patty Jane tell Avel to do on that night?
4. How does Avel set off a fight at a bar on New Year's Eve?
5. What bet does Harriet make with Avel Ames in Chapter 2?
6. How does Thor show a change during his walk home at dawn in Chapter 6?
7. In Chapter 3, how does Patty Jane feel about being pregnant?
8. How does Ione anger Patty Jane in Chapter 9?
9. What memory does Nora recall about her mother and a man at a drugstore in the prologue?
10. What is the cause of the argument between Patty Jane and Thor in the grocery store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who are the members of Patty Jane's family? How important is family to Patty Jane? What obstacles does Patty Jane face relating to her family? How does her family help her to overcome obstacles in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. How important is the setting to a novel? What if the novel had been set in a different place and time? In your opinion, would the choices of main characters be different? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of grief in the novel. What are some examples of grief or grieving in the novel? Why are the characters grieving in these examples?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)