|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time has passed in Chapter 7 since Thor's disappearance?
2. What does Thor imagine during the photo shoot in Chapter 5?
3. What is Patty Jane in awe of in Chapter 3?
4. Where is "Patty Jane's House of Curl" set?
5. Who plans the event that takes place in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Patty Jane act toward others as Thor's absence draws on? Who does Avel bring to help Patty Jane in Chapter 8?
2. What does Avel send Patty Jane in Chapter 9? What does she do with it?
3. Why are Thor and Harriet not thrilled about Patty Jane's pregnancy?
4. What do we find out about Nora's father in the prologue?
5. What does Patty Jane announce to Thor on the morning after their wedding? How do people react to the announcement?
6. What kind of job does Avel offer Thor, and why?
7. How does Patty Jane act after Thor's disappearance?
8. How does Patty Jane and Ione's relationship change during Patty Jane's pregnancy?
9. In Chapter 3, how does Patty Jane feel about being pregnant?
10. How does Ione anger Patty Jane in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Harriet and Patty Jane. Do they have a strong bond? What past experiences have brought them closer together? How do they handle being separated from one another during Harriet's alcoholism? How does Patty Jane react to Harriet's illness? How does she help Harriet at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of alcoholism in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." What are some examples of when alcohol leads to problems for the characters, particularly Harriet. How did Patty Jane's and Harriet's parents' alcoholism affect them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of separation in the novel. What are some examples of separation in the novel? How do these examples of separation affect the characters?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)