|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Avel get on in South America?
2. Where do Avel and Harriet go after the event in Chapter 8?
3. Where do Thor and Patty Jane argue in Chapter 6?
4. What is Patty Jane's maiden name?
5. When did Thor's father die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory does Nora recall about her mother and a man at a drugstore in the prologue?
2. Where does Thor go after his argument with Patty Jane in the grocery store?
3. How does Patty Jane act toward others as Thor's absence draws on? Who does Avel bring to help Patty Jane in Chapter 8?
4. Where is "Patty Jane's House of Curl" set? What is the community like?
5. What does Ione organize for the night before Avel is to leave for South America? What does Patty Jane tell Avel to do on that night?
6. What bet does Harriet make with Avel Ames in Chapter 2?
7. Who is at the store when Harriet and Ione go to get cigarettes in Chapter 7?
8. How does Patty Jane act after Thor's disappearance?
9. What do we find out about Nora's father in the prologue?
10. Why are Thor and Harriet not thrilled about Patty Jane's pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the death and illness motif in "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who dies in the novel and how do these deaths affect the characters and plot? What are the reasons for their deaths? What do the reactions of the loved ones left behind reveal of their relationships? How does Thor's injury affect his life and the lives of the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who are the members of Patty Jane's family? How important is family to Patty Jane? What obstacles does Patty Jane face relating to her family? How does her family help her to overcome obstacles in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Landvik have chosen to skip ahead twenty years?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)