|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the product that Thor will be the new face of?
2. What does Avel return with in Chapter 6?
3. How does Avel know the therapist he introduces to Patty Jane in Chapter 8?
4. How is the goodbye between Avel and Harriet described in Chapter 8?
5. What argument does Avel make to his sisters about the business trip in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Avel send Patty Jane in Chapter 9? What does she do with it?
2. What bet does Harriet make with Avel Ames in Chapter 2?
3. Why are Thor and Harriet not thrilled about Patty Jane's pregnancy?
4. What is Harriet excited about in Chapter 9?
5. What news do Patty Jane and Harriet each receive in Chapter 10?
6. What do we find out about Nora's father in the prologue?
7. How does Patty Jane and Ione's relationship change during Patty Jane's pregnancy?
8. Who is at the store when Harriet and Ione go to get cigarettes in Chapter 7?
9. What happens two days after Thor goes missing? What does Avel do to find Thor?
10. What does Ione notice as Patty Jane's pregnancy becomes more obvious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of alcoholism in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." What are some examples of when alcohol leads to problems for the characters, particularly Harriet. How did Patty Jane's and Harriet's parents' alcoholism affect them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who are the members of Patty Jane's family? How important is family to Patty Jane? What obstacles does Patty Jane face relating to her family? How does her family help her to overcome obstacles in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl," Lorna Landvik. What other books has she written? Is this novel similar to her other works in term of plot, tone and genre? How is her work received by critics?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)