|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had been the original plan on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4?
2. What is the crazy woman arguing with the clerk at the store about in Chapter 7?
3. How does Thor feel about becoming a father?
4. What do Avel and Thor do with the two women in Chapter 4?
5. What is Avel's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ione anger Patty Jane in Chapter 9?
2. Where is "Patty Jane's House of Curl" set? What is the community like?
3. Why is Avel happy about the fight in the bar which happens on New Year's Eve?
4. What bet does Harriet make with Avel Ames in Chapter 2?
5. What does Patty Jane announce to Thor on the morning after their wedding? How do people react to the announcement?
6. Who picks Harriet up in Chapter 2 and where do they go?
7. Why do Patty Jane and Harriet stay home on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4? What had their plans been?
8. What memory does Nora recall about her mother and a man at a drugstore in the prologue?
9. How does Patty Jane and Ione's relationship change during Patty Jane's pregnancy?
10. Who is at the store when Harriet and Ione go to get cigarettes in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of alcoholism in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." What are some examples of when alcohol leads to problems for the characters, particularly Harriet. How did Patty Jane's and Harriet's parents' alcoholism affect them?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Patty Jane's beauty salon, House of Curl. Why does she open this business? How does running this business help Patty Jane grieve the loss of her husband? Who does she meet because of the beauty parlor?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. How important is the setting to a novel? What if the novel had been set in a different place and time? In your opinion, would the choices of main characters be different? If so, how?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)