|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patty Jane become angry at Ione for in Chapter 9?
2. Where is "Patty Jane's House of Curl" set?
3. Why does Avel often communicate with his sisters?
4. Who looked after Patty Jane when her parents died?
5. What does Avel think of his sisters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Patty Jane act after Thor's disappearance?
2. Who is at the store when Harriet and Ione go to get cigarettes in Chapter 7?
3. Why is Avel happy about the fight in the bar which happens on New Year's Eve?
4. How does Avel feel about his sisters? Why do Avel's sisters tell him he and Harriet must put off their wedding.
5. Why are Thor and Harriet not thrilled about Patty Jane's pregnancy?
6. What does Harriet show Avel when he returns to town in Chapter 6?
7. Where is "Patty Jane's House of Curl" set? What is the community like?
8. Where does Thor go after his argument with Patty Jane in the grocery store?
9. Why do Patty Jane and Harriet stay home on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4? What had their plans been?
10. How does Thor show a change during his walk home at dawn in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How important is the setting to a novel? What if the novel had been set in a different place and time? In your opinion, would the choices of main characters be different? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in "Patty Jane's House of Curl"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the death and illness motif in "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who dies in the novel and how do these deaths affect the characters and plot? What are the reasons for their deaths? What do the reactions of the loved ones left behind reveal of their relationships? How does Thor's injury affect his life and the lives of the other characters?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)