|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Avel and Harriet do after driving in Chapter 2?
2. Where does Patty Jane agree to go with Ione on Christmas Eve in Chapter 3?
3. How does Thor hit his head in Chapter 6?
4. Where are Nora and her mother during the prologue of the novel?
5. Before realizing how much he loves Patty Jane, what does Thor briefly think about after his night out in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cause of the argument between Patty Jane and Thor in the grocery store?
2. How does Patty Jane act toward others as Thor's absence draws on? Who does Avel bring to help Patty Jane in Chapter 8?
3. What bet does Harriet make with Avel Ames in Chapter 2?
4. What does Avel send Patty Jane in Chapter 9? What does she do with it?
5. Why were Patty Jane and her sister raised by an aunt? What did the aunt's treatment of the girls spur Patty Jane to do?
6. What do we find out about Nora's father in the prologue?
7. What is Harriet excited about in Chapter 9?
8. Why is Avel happy about the fight in the bar which happens on New Year's Eve?
9. How does Patty Jane act after Thor's disappearance?
10. Why do Patty Jane and Harriet stay home on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4? What had their plans been?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss love and romance in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who does Patty Jane first fall in love with? How does this relationship sway her decisions and affect the rest of her life? Does she find true happiness with her husband? How does her love for Thor compare for her love for Clyde. How does Harriet's love for Avel compare to her love for Reese?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Landvik have chosen to skip ahead twenty years?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Nora. What does she reveal of her character while she is the narrator in the epilogue and prologue? Describe her relationships with her parents. What are her defining character traits?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)