|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Nora and her mother during the prologue of the novel?
2. To Avel, what does the fight in Chapter 4 prove?
3. How does Patty Jane feel about becoming a mother?
4. How does Thor hit his head in Chapter 6?
5. What does Patty Jane name her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens two days after Thor goes missing? What does Avel do to find Thor?
2. How does Patty Jane act after Thor's disappearance?
3. Why do Patty Jane and Harriet stay home on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4? What had their plans been?
4. In Chapter 3, how does Patty Jane feel about being pregnant?
5. What does Ione notice as Patty Jane's pregnancy becomes more obvious?
6. Where does Thor go after his argument with Patty Jane in the grocery store?
7. What does Avel send Patty Jane in Chapter 9? What does she do with it?
8. How does Patty Jane and Ione's relationship change during Patty Jane's pregnancy?
9. What news do Patty Jane and Harriet each receive in Chapter 10?
10. What kind of job does Avel offer Thor, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of separation in the novel. What are some examples of separation in the novel? How do these examples of separation affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Landvik's use of humor in "Patty Jane's House of Curl." How does Landvik incorporate humor into the novel? What are some examples of humor? What type(s) of humor does she use?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. How important is the setting to a novel? What if the novel had been set in a different place and time? In your opinion, would the choices of main characters be different? If so, how?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)