|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Patty Jane rip up the number of the man in the prologue?
2. Before realizing how much he loves Patty Jane, what does Thor briefly think about after his night out in Chapter 6?
3. What does Patty Jane become angry at Ione for in Chapter 9?
4. What does Avel think of his sisters?
5. What do Harriet and Ione go to the store for in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is "Patty Jane's House of Curl" set? What is the community like?
2. In Chapter 3, how does Patty Jane feel about being pregnant?
3. Why are Thor and Harriet not thrilled about Patty Jane's pregnancy?
4. Why were Patty Jane and her sister raised by an aunt? What did the aunt's treatment of the girls spur Patty Jane to do?
5. What does Patty Jane announce to Thor on the morning after their wedding? How do people react to the announcement?
6. What bet does Harriet make with Avel Ames in Chapter 2?
7. How does Ione anger Patty Jane in Chapter 9?
8. How does Patty Jane act toward others as Thor's absence draws on? Who does Avel bring to help Patty Jane in Chapter 8?
9. What do we find out about Nora's father in the prologue?
10. What does Avel send Patty Jane in Chapter 9? What does she do with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl," Lorna Landvik. What other books has she written? Is this novel similar to her other works in term of plot, tone and genre? How is her work received by critics?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Patty Jane's relationships with Thor and Clyde. How does she meet each of these men? What are their first impressions of one another? What problems arise in Patty Jane's marriage to Thor? Who is better suited to Patty Jane, Thor or Clyde?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of marriage in the novel. Describe Patty Jane's marriage to Thor. Describe Harriet's marriage to Reese. Are these successful marriages? What do these characters think of marriage?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)