|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time has passed in Chapter 7 since Thor's disappearance?
2. What does Patty Jane become angry at Ione for in Chapter 9?
3. From which country have many of the residents of the community immigrated from?
4. What is Ione pleased by in Chapter 3?
5. What kind of company is Avel the heir of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Harriet excited about in Chapter 9?
2. What kind of job does Avel offer Thor, and why?
3. Who picks Harriet up in Chapter 2 and where do they go?
4. What does Avel send Patty Jane in Chapter 9? What does she do with it?
5. What does Avel give Harriet as an engagement present?
6. How does Thor show a change during his walk home at dawn in Chapter 6?
7. What does Ione notice as Patty Jane's pregnancy becomes more obvious?
8. Why is Avel happy about the fight in the bar which happens on New Year's Eve?
9. Why do Patty Jane and Harriet stay home on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4? What had their plans been?
10. What is the cause of the argument between Patty Jane and Thor in the grocery store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss love and romance in the novel "Patty Jane's House of Curl." Who does Patty Jane first fall in love with? How does this relationship sway her decisions and affect the rest of her life? Does she find true happiness with her husband? How does her love for Thor compare for her love for Clyde. How does Harriet's love for Avel compare to her love for Reese?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three examples of conflict in the novel. What are the causes of these conflicts? How do they affect the characters? How are these conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of grief in the novel. What are some examples of grief or grieving in the novel? Why are the characters grieving in these examples?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)