|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Patty Jane advise Avel to do on the night before he leaves for South America?
(a) Have a drink before flying.
(b) Update his will.
(c) Visit his mother.
(d) Sleep with Harriet.
2. What brand of car is Avel driving when he meets Harriet in Chapter 2?
(a) General Motors.
3. What does Harriet purchase in Chapter 8?
(a) An oil painting.
(b) New curtains for Patty Jane.
(c) A wedding dress.
(d) A set of silverware.
4. What does Avel think of his sisters?
(a) They are unfriendly.
(b) They are kind.
(c) They are angelic.
(d) They are lazy.
5. When did Thor's father die?
(a) The previous winter.
(b) On Thor's highschool graduation day.
(c) When Thor was a small boy.
(d) In the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. From which country have many of the residents of the community immigrated from?
2. What does Patty Jane begin to do every day in Chapter 9?
3. What does Thor imagine during the photo shoot in Chapter 5?
4. What does Thor want to buy the baby in Chapter 6?
5. What is Patty Jane's maiden name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nora deal with her father's reappearance?
2. How does Thor show a change during his walk home at dawn in Chapter 6?
3. What is the cause of the argument between Patty Jane and Thor in the grocery store?
4. How does Patty Jane act after Thor's disappearance?
5. What does Patty Jane think about to reminisce about Harriet at her funeral?
6. Why does Patty Jane urge Harriet to see a doctor in Chapter 25? What do Patty Jane and Nora discover one day after Harriet fails to return from napping?
7. How does Avel set off a fight at a bar on New Year's Eve?
8. Describe Reese and Harriet's wedding in Chapter 24.
9. What business does Patty Jane start in Chapter 11?
10. What does Harriet show Avel when he returns to town in Chapter 6?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)