|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the crazy woman arguing with the clerk at the store about in Chapter 7?
(a) Her credit.
(b) Discounted merchandise.
(c) The woman drinking in the store.
(d) Whether the clerk gave her proper change.
2. From which country have many of the residents of the community immigrated from?
3. To Avel, what does the fight in Chapter 4 prove?
(a) That women find him attractive.
(b) That he is manly despite his size.
(c) That he should stay away from alcohol.
(d) That Thor considers Avel a friend.
4. Why does a fight occur in Chapter 4?
(a) Avel refuses to pay for his drinks.
(b) The women at the bar accuse Avel and Thor of groping them.
(c) The other patrons are unhappy with Avel.
(d) Thor throws a chair at someone.
5. What will Harriet learn at the music school?
(a) Piano, clarinet, and singing.
(b) Violin, cello, and singing.
(c) Timpani drum, xylophone, and singing.
(d) Trumpet, harp, and singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harriet decide to go for a ride with Avel in Chapter 2?
2. What does Patty Jane become angry at Ione for in Chapter 9?
3. How does Harriet learn about Avel's plane crash?
4. How does Thor find the modeling shoot in Chapter 5?
5. What is the only reason that Patty Jane will get out of bed in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Avel happy about the fight in the bar which happens on New Year's Eve?
2. Why were Patty Jane and her sister raised by an aunt? What did the aunt's treatment of the girls spur Patty Jane to do?
3. What is Harriet excited about in Chapter 9?
4. Where is "Patty Jane's House of Curl" set? What is the community like?
5. How does Avel feel about his sisters? Why do Avel's sisters tell him he and Harriet must put off their wedding.
6. How does Ione anger Patty Jane in Chapter 9?
7. Who is at the store when Harriet and Ione go to get cigarettes in Chapter 7?
8. What does Harriet show Avel when he returns to town in Chapter 6?
9. How does Thor show a change during his walk home at dawn in Chapter 6?
10. How does Avel set off a fight at a bar on New Year's Eve?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)