|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Avel often communicate with his sisters?
(a) They are on the board of Ames Grains.
(b) They put on many charity events.
(c) They all live together.
(d) They take care of his ailing mother.
2. What do Harriet and Ione go to the store for in Chapter 7?
3. What are the two women in Chapter 4 getting paid to do at midnight?
(a) Clean-up duty.
(b) Take off their clothes.
(d) Pretend to be police officers.
4. Where does Patty Jane agree to go with Ione on Christmas Eve in Chapter 3?
(a) The hospital.
(b) A cemetary.
(c) To see Ione's in-laws.
5. What does Thor imagine during the photo shoot in Chapter 5?
(a) Being a professional football player.
(b) Climbing a mountain.
(c) Speeding down a highway in a sports car.
(d) Being on a beach with Patty Jane.
6. How does Patty Jane change the longer Thor is gone?
(a) She stops talking.
(b) She starts asserting herself.
(c) She starts acting crazy.
(d) She becomes meaner.
7. What does Avel return with in Chapter 6?
(a) Photographs of Thor.
(b) A new car.
(c) Gifts for the baby.
(d) Legal documents.
8. What does the crazy woman do before walking away in Chapter 7?
(a) She pushes her purchases onto the floor.
(b) She kicks the clerk.
(c) She shouts at Harriet.
(d) She knocks over a display case.
9. According to Nora, when did her father disappear?
(a) After her parents divorced.
(b) Before she was born.
(c) On her grandmother's birthday.
(d) When she was three years old.
10. What is Patty Jane in awe of in Chapter 3?
(a) Ione's generosity.
(b) A single mother she befriends.
(c) Her changing body.
(d) Thor's helpfulness.
11. Where do Thor and Patty Jane argue in Chapter 6?
(a) At home.
(b) The doctor's office.
(c) At a restaurant.
(d) The grocery store.
12. What argument does Avel make to his sisters about the business trip in Chapter 7?
(a) That they should go themselves and enjoy some sightseeing.
(b) That he is terrified of flying in planes.
(c) That someone else could easily go.
(d) That he has been ill for some time.
13. What is Ione pleased by in Chapter 3?
(a) Patty Jane's and Thor's open affection.
(b) Patty Jane's good sense.
(c) Harriet's kindness toward her sister.
(d) Thor's work ethic.
14. What does Thor hit his head on in Chapter 6?
(a) A metal railing.
(b) The sidewalk.
(c) A vehicle.
(d) The trunk of an oak tree.
15. What does Thor want to buy the baby in Chapter 6?
(a) A changing table.
(b) A bassinet.
(c) A teddy bear.
(d) A swing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patty Jane advise Avel to do on the night before he leaves for South America?
2. Who is Harriet?
3. Where do Avel and Thor actually go on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4?
4. When did Thor's father die?
5. What causes Thor's affection for Patty Jane to decrease?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)