|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Avel send Patty Jane in Chapter 9?
(a) A pair of baby booties.
(b) A birthday card.
(d) A necklace.
2. What does Patty Jane advise Avel to do on the night before he leaves for South America?
(a) Visit his mother.
(b) Sleep with Harriet.
(c) Update his will.
(d) Have a drink before flying.
3. Why does Avel often communicate with his sisters?
(a) They all live together.
(b) They take care of his ailing mother.
(c) They put on many charity events.
(d) They are on the board of Ames Grains.
4. What causes Thor's affection for Patty Jane to decrease?
(a) Patty Jane's pregnancy.
(b) The details of Patty Jane's past being revealed.
(c) A new woman he meets.
(d) Patty Jane's insistance that Thor work all the time.
5. How old is Nora during the prologue of the novel?
6. What event takes place the night before Avel leaves for South America?
(a) Nora's christening.
(b) A family picnic.
(c) A memorial service for Thor.
(d) A combination bridal party and going away party.
7. Where does Thor go following his argument with Patty Jane in Chapter 6?
(a) Another woman's home.
(b) To buy tires for his car.
(c) A bar.
(d) His brother's house.
8. What is the name of the product that Thor will be the new face of?
(a) Fightin' Flakes.
(b) Manly Munch.
(c) Crunchy Bits.
(d) Mighty Bites.
9. Why does a fight occur in Chapter 4?
(a) Thor throws a chair at someone.
(b) Avel refuses to pay for his drinks.
(c) The other patrons are unhappy with Avel.
(d) The women at the bar accuse Avel and Thor of groping them.
10. What had been the original plan on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4?
(a) To go to the city's downtown area.
(b) To go to a friend's cabin in the woods.
(c) To watch a firework display.
(d) To go to the country club.
11. Where does Avel's plane crash?
12. What is Ione pleased by in Chapter 3?
(a) Thor's work ethic.
(b) Harriet's kindness toward her sister.
(c) Patty Jane's and Thor's open affection.
(d) Patty Jane's good sense.
13. What does Harriet purchase in Chapter 8?
(a) An oil painting.
(b) New curtains for Patty Jane.
(c) A wedding dress.
(d) A set of silverware.
14. Where does Patty Jane agree to go with Ione on Christmas Eve in Chapter 3?
(a) A cemetary.
(b) The hospital.
(c) To see Ione's in-laws.
15. What does Nora often imagine about her father in the prologue?
(a) What he was like as a kid.
(b) Whether he has ever seen a photo of her.
(c) Why he left.
(d) What it will be like once he returns.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thor find the modeling shoot in Chapter 5?
2. When did Thor's father die?
3. How many days after Thor's disappearance does Patty Jane give birth?
4. What does the letter from Thor sent to Patty Jane in Chapter 10 say?
5. What does Thor imagine during the photo shoot in Chapter 5?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)