|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thor want to buy the baby in Chapter 6?
(a) A swing.
(b) A teddy bear.
(c) A changing table.
(d) A bassinet.
2. Where do Avel and Thor actually go on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4?
(a) A concert hall.
(b) A friend's house.
(c) A bar.
(d) A street party.
3. Who wrote the letter that Harriet shows Avel in Chapter 6?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A bartender.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A college professor.
4. How does Harriet learn about Avel's plane crash?
(a) His sisters tell Harriet.
(b) By reading about it in the paper.
(c) Harriet hears his name read out on the radio.
(d) A police officer telephones her.
5. Who does Avel hire in Chapter 6?
(a) A wedding planner.
(b) An assistant.
(c) A private detective.
(d) A security guard.
6. What do Avel and Harriet do after driving in Chapter 2?
(a) They go for a picnic.
(b) They go to a concert.
(c) They go to the movies.
(d) They go to a restaurant.
7. What kind of vehicle were the couples going to use on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4?
(a) A horse-drawn carriage.
(b) A limo.
(c) A flashy convertible.
(d) A bus.
8. What causes Patty Jane and Ione to become closer in Chapter 3?
(a) Patty Jane's pregnancy.
(b) Joining a swimming club together.
(c) Their evening walks.
(d) Ione's illness.
9. How did Patty Jane's parents die?
(a) From carbon monoxide poisoning.
(b) Of old age.
(c) In a car accident.
(d) From pneumonia.
10. How much money does Avel pay the two women to not do at midnight what they were paid to do?
(a) Enough to buy a bus ticket out of town.
(b) Enough to cover their bar tab.
(c) Twice as much as they were originally paid.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
11. What is Avel's last name?
12. What event takes place the night before Avel leaves for South America?
(a) A memorial service for Thor.
(b) A combination bridal party and going away party.
(c) Nora's christening.
(d) A family picnic.
13. Why does Avel often communicate with his sisters?
(a) They put on many charity events.
(b) They take care of his ailing mother.
(c) They are on the board of Ames Grains.
(d) They all live together.
14. What is Patty Jane in awe of in Chapter 3?
(a) A single mother she befriends.
(b) Ione's generosity.
(c) Thor's helpfulness.
(d) Her changing body.
15. Where does Thor go following his argument with Patty Jane in Chapter 6?
(a) A bar.
(b) His brother's house.
(c) Another woman's home.
(d) To buy tires for his car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harriet purchase in Chapter 8?
2. How many days after Thor's disappearance does Patty Jane give birth?
3. What is the only reason that Patty Jane will get out of bed in Chapter 7?
4. Why does Harriet decide to go for a ride with Avel in Chapter 2?
5. What does Avel think of his sisters?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)