|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Thor hit his head in Chapter 6?
(a) He gets knocked over by a man on a motorcycle.
(b) He wanders into a construction zone.
(c) He slips on some ice.
(d) He falls down some stairs.
2. Why does Avel offer Thor a modeling job?
(a) He knows with a baby on the way Thor needs a job.
(b) Avel thinks Thor's image will improve sales.
(c) To thank him for the fight.
(d) Avel promised Harriet he would.
3. What is the only reason that Patty Jane will get out of bed in Chapter 7?
(a) To care for the baby.
(b) To let Ione and Harriet into the apartment.
(c) To eat.
(d) To collect the mail.
4. Why is Harriet writing a song in Chapter 9?
(a) To sing to Avel at their wedding.
(b) To enter in a contest.
(c) To teach to Nora.
(d) As part of a school assignment.
5. What causes Thor's affection for Patty Jane to decrease?
(a) The details of Patty Jane's past being revealed.
(b) Patty Jane's insistance that Thor work all the time.
(c) A new woman he meets.
(d) Patty Jane's pregnancy.
6. Why is Patty Jane angry at Thor in Chapter 6?
(a) He refuses to talk about the baby.
(b) He asked Harriet to stop visiting so frequently.
(c) He has been spending too much money.
(d) He has been seeing another woman.
7. Why do Patty Jane and Harriet stay home on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4?
(a) The weather is bad.
(b) Patty Jane is sick.
(c) Harriet has a fight with Avel.
(d) Patty Jane is due to deliver.
8. What kind of company is Avel the heir of?
(a) A bread company.
(b) A cracker company.
(c) A cookie company.
(d) A cereal company.
9. Where do Avel and Thor actually go on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4?
(a) A street party.
(b) A friend's house.
(c) A bar.
(d) A concert hall.
10. How does Harriet learn about Avel's plane crash?
(a) By reading about it in the paper.
(b) Harriet hears his name read out on the radio.
(c) His sisters tell Harriet.
(d) A police officer telephones her.
11. Who wrote the letter that Harriet shows Avel in Chapter 6?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A bartender.
(c) A college professor.
(d) A police officer.
12. Why does the store clerk give Harriet and Ione a free item in Chapter 7?
(a) For not calling the police.
(b) For helping him clean up.
(c) For being threatened by the crazy woman.
(d) For escorting the woman out of the building.
13. What argument does Avel make to his sisters about the business trip in Chapter 7?
(a) That he has been ill for some time.
(b) That he is terrified of flying in planes.
(c) That they should go themselves and enjoy some sightseeing.
(d) That someone else could easily go.
14. How much money does Avel pay the two women to not do at midnight what they were paid to do?
(a) Enough to buy a bus ticket out of town.
(b) Twice as much as they were originally paid.
(c) Enough to cover their bar tab.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
15. What does Patty Jane begin to do every day in Chapter 9?
(a) Knit clothes for Nora.
(b) Take walks.
(c) Go swimming.
(d) Feed birds in the park.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Patty Jane rip up the number of the man in the prologue?
2. What does the crazy woman do before walking away in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Avel often communicate with his sisters?
4. How is the goodbye between Avel and Harriet described in Chapter 8?
5. From which country have many of the residents of the community immigrated from?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)