|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who plans the event that takes place in Chapter 8?
(b) Patty Jane.
2. What had been the original plan on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4?
(a) To watch a firework display.
(b) To go to a friend's cabin in the woods.
(c) To go to the city's downtown area.
(d) To go to the country club.
3. What is Avel's last name?
4. Before realizing how much he loves Patty Jane, what does Thor briefly think about after his night out in Chapter 6?
(a) What life was like before he met Patty Jane.
(b) How disappointed his mother would be if he got divorced.
(c) Moving to Las Vegas.
(d) The freedom he would have if he left Patty Jane.
5. According to Nora, when did her father disappear?
(a) When she was three years old.
(b) On her grandmother's birthday.
(c) After her parents divorced.
(d) Before she was born.
6. How does Avel know the therapist he introduces to Patty Jane in Chapter 8?
(a) They worked together as teenagers.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) From church.
(d) From college.
7. How old is Nora during the prologue of the novel?
8. Why does Patty Jane rip up the number of the man in the prologue?
(a) He was one of her husband's friends.
(b) He insults Nora.
(c) He is poorly dressed.
(d) He is married.
9. How does Avel get on in South America?
(a) He has a horrible time.
(b) He has a stressful time.
(c) He has a wonderful time.
(d) He has a terrifying time.
10. What causes Thor's affection for Patty Jane to decrease?
(a) The details of Patty Jane's past being revealed.
(b) A new woman he meets.
(c) Patty Jane's pregnancy.
(d) Patty Jane's insistance that Thor work all the time.
11. What will Harriet learn at the music school?
(a) Trumpet, harp, and singing.
(b) Violin, cello, and singing.
(c) Timpani drum, xylophone, and singing.
(d) Piano, clarinet, and singing.
12. What causes Patty Jane and Ione to become closer in Chapter 3?
(a) Ione's illness.
(b) Patty Jane's pregnancy.
(c) Their evening walks.
(d) Joining a swimming club together.
13. What does Avel think of his sisters?
(a) They are angelic.
(b) They are kind.
(c) They are unfriendly.
(d) They are lazy.
14. How much time has passed in Chapter 7 since Thor's disappearance?
(a) One month.
(b) Four months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Six months.
15. What do Avel and Harriet do after driving in Chapter 2?
(a) They go to the movies.
(b) They go to a restaurant.
(c) They go for a picnic.
(d) They go to a concert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only reason that Patty Jane will get out of bed in Chapter 7?
2. Why do Patty Jane and Harriet stay home on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4?
3. How much money does Avel pay the two women to not do at midnight what they were paid to do?
4. Why does the store clerk give Harriet and Ione a free item in Chapter 7?
5. What brand of car is Avel driving when he meets Harriet in Chapter 2?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)