|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Thor find the modeling shoot in Chapter 5?
2. How does Avel know the therapist he introduces to Patty Jane in Chapter 8?
(a) They worked together as teenagers.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) From church.
(d) From college.
3. What is the crazy woman arguing with the clerk at the store about in Chapter 7?
(a) Whether the clerk gave her proper change.
(b) The woman drinking in the store.
(c) Discounted merchandise.
(d) Her credit.
4. Why do Patty Jane and Harriet stay home on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4?
(a) Patty Jane is due to deliver.
(b) Harriet has a fight with Avel.
(c) The weather is bad.
(d) Patty Jane is sick.
5. How does Harriet learn about Avel's plane crash?
(a) His sisters tell Harriet.
(b) By reading about it in the paper.
(c) A police officer telephones her.
(d) Harriet hears his name read out on the radio.
6. What brand of car is Avel driving when he meets Harriet in Chapter 2?
(d) General Motors.
7. What is Ione pleased by in Chapter 3?
(a) Thor's work ethic.
(b) Harriet's kindness toward her sister.
(c) Patty Jane's and Thor's open affection.
(d) Patty Jane's good sense.
8. What does Harriet purchase in Chapter 8?
(a) A set of silverware.
(b) New curtains for Patty Jane.
(c) An oil painting.
(d) A wedding dress.
9. How did Patty Jane's parents die?
(a) In a car accident.
(b) Of old age.
(c) From pneumonia.
(d) From carbon monoxide poisoning.
10. What does Avel think of his sisters?
(a) They are lazy.
(b) They are kind.
(c) They are angelic.
(d) They are unfriendly.
11. What does Nora often imagine about her father in the prologue?
(a) Whether he has ever seen a photo of her.
(b) Why he left.
(c) What it will be like once he returns.
(d) What he was like as a kid.
12. According to Nora, when did her father disappear?
(a) Before she was born.
(b) When she was three years old.
(c) On her grandmother's birthday.
(d) After her parents divorced.
13. What is the only reason that Patty Jane will get out of bed in Chapter 7?
(a) To care for the baby.
(b) To eat.
(c) To let Ione and Harriet into the apartment.
(d) To collect the mail.
14. How much money does Avel pay the two women to not do at midnight what they were paid to do?
(a) Enough to cover their bar tab.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) Twice as much as they were originally paid.
(d) Enough to buy a bus ticket out of town.
15. Who does Thor eventually spend the night with following his argument with Patty Jane in Chapter 6?
(a) A nurse.
(b) A cheerleader.
(c) A secretary.
(d) A waitress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crazy woman do before walking away in Chapter 7?
2. How does Thor feel about becoming a father?
3. What kind of company is Avel the heir of?
4. Who wrote the letter that Harriet shows Avel in Chapter 6?
5. Why does Avel offer Thor a modeling job?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)