|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Patty Jane and Harriet stay home on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4?
(a) Patty Jane is sick.
(b) Harriet has a fight with Avel.
(c) The weather is bad.
(d) Patty Jane is due to deliver.
2. How are the two women that Avel and Thor spend time with in Chapter 4 described?
3. Why does a fight occur in Chapter 4?
(a) Avel refuses to pay for his drinks.
(b) Thor throws a chair at someone.
(c) The other patrons are unhappy with Avel.
(d) The women at the bar accuse Avel and Thor of groping them.
4. How does Avel know the therapist he introduces to Patty Jane in Chapter 8?
(a) They worked together as teenagers.
(b) From church.
(c) From college.
(d) They are cousins.
5. What does Thor hit his head on in Chapter 6?
(a) The trunk of an oak tree.
(b) A metal railing.
(c) A vehicle.
(d) The sidewalk.
6. How does Harriet learn about Avel's plane crash?
(a) His sisters tell Harriet.
(b) Harriet hears his name read out on the radio.
(c) A police officer telephones her.
(d) By reading about it in the paper.
7. How does Thor feel about becoming a father?
(a) He wishes it had happened earlier.
(b) He does not feel ready.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He is angry.
8. How old is Nora during the prologue of the novel?
9. How much money does Avel pay the two women to not do at midnight what they were paid to do?
(a) Twice as much as they were originally paid.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) Enough to cover their bar tab.
(d) Enough to buy a bus ticket out of town.
10. What will Harriet learn at the music school?
(a) Violin, cello, and singing.
(b) Piano, clarinet, and singing.
(c) Trumpet, harp, and singing.
(d) Timpani drum, xylophone, and singing.
11. Where do Thor and Patty Jane argue in Chapter 6?
(a) The grocery store.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) The doctor's office.
(d) At home.
12. Where are Nora and her mother during the prologue of the novel?
(a) A drug store.
(b) At home.
(c) A school.
(d) On a bus.
13. What brand of car is Avel driving when he meets Harriet in Chapter 2?
(b) General Motors.
14. Where is "Patty Jane's House of Curl" set?
15. What does Patty Jane begin to do every day in Chapter 9?
(a) Knit clothes for Nora.
(b) Go swimming.
(c) Feed birds in the park.
(d) Take walks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Avel pay for Harriet's tuition to a music school?
2. How many days after Thor's disappearance does Patty Jane give birth?
3. When did Thor's father die?
4. Why does Avel offer Thor a modeling job?
5. From which country have many of the residents of the community immigrated from?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)