|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thor hit his head on in Chapter 6?
(a) The trunk of an oak tree.
(b) The sidewalk.
(c) A metal railing.
(d) A vehicle.
2. How does Harriet feel about her impending wedding?
(a) She is stressed.
(b) She is worried.
(c) She is depressed.
(d) She is excited.
3. When did Thor's father die?
(a) In the war.
(b) On Thor's highschool graduation day.
(c) The previous winter.
(d) When Thor was a small boy.
4. Where does Patty Jane agree to go with Ione on Christmas Eve in Chapter 3?
(b) A cemetary.
(c) To see Ione's in-laws.
(d) The hospital.
5. What argument does Avel make to his sisters about the business trip in Chapter 7?
(a) That he has been ill for some time.
(b) That someone else could easily go.
(c) That he is terrified of flying in planes.
(d) That they should go themselves and enjoy some sightseeing.
6. How many days after Thor's disappearance does Patty Jane give birth?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Six days.
7. What type of product is Thor modeling for in Chapter 5?
(a) A potato chip.
(b) A soap.
(c) A cookie.
(d) A cereal.
8. What causes Thor's affection for Patty Jane to decrease?
(a) A new woman he meets.
(b) The details of Patty Jane's past being revealed.
(c) Patty Jane's insistance that Thor work all the time.
(d) Patty Jane's pregnancy.
9. Who looked after Patty Jane when her parents died?
(a) Her godparents.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her grandparents.
(d) Her uncle.
10. Where do Avel and Harriet go after the event in Chapter 8?
(a) To Ione's house.
(b) To a hotel.
(c) To a cafe.
(d) To the lake where Avel proposed.
11. What is Patty Jane's maiden name?
12. Where do Avel's sisters decide he needs to go on business in Chapter 7?
(c) South America.
13. What kind of company is Avel the heir of?
(a) A cracker company.
(b) A cookie company.
(c) A cereal company.
(d) A bread company.
14. Why is Patty Jane angry at Thor in Chapter 6?
(a) He refuses to talk about the baby.
(b) He asked Harriet to stop visiting so frequently.
(c) He has been seeing another woman.
(d) He has been spending too much money.
15. What does Nora often imagine about her father in the prologue?
(a) Whether he has ever seen a photo of her.
(b) What he was like as a kid.
(c) Why he left.
(d) What it will be like once he returns.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Patty Jane's parents die?
2. What will Harriet learn at the music school?
3. What does Patty Jane announce to Thor on the morning after their wedding?
4. What do Harriet and Ione go to the store for in Chapter 7?
5. What does Patty Jane advise Avel to do on the night before he leaves for South America?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)