|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Harriet?
(a) Patty Jane's mother-in-law.
(b) Patty Jane's guardian.
(c) Patty Jane's best friend.
(d) Patty Jane's sister.
2. Why does Patty Jane rip up the number of the man in the prologue?
(a) He is poorly dressed.
(b) He was one of her husband's friends.
(c) He is married.
(d) He insults Nora.
3. What will Harriet learn at the music school?
(a) Piano, clarinet, and singing.
(b) Violin, cello, and singing.
(c) Timpani drum, xylophone, and singing.
(d) Trumpet, harp, and singing.
4. When did Thor's father die?
(a) The previous winter.
(b) On Thor's highschool graduation day.
(c) When Thor was a small boy.
(d) In the war.
5. What does Patty Jane advise Avel to do on the night before he leaves for South America?
(a) Have a drink before flying.
(b) Sleep with Harriet.
(c) Update his will.
(d) Visit his mother.
6. What is Ione pleased by in Chapter 3?
(a) Patty Jane's good sense.
(b) Thor's work ethic.
(c) Patty Jane's and Thor's open affection.
(d) Harriet's kindness toward her sister.
7. Where are Nora and her mother during the prologue of the novel?
(a) At home.
(b) A drug store.
(c) On a bus.
(d) A school.
8. What do Avel and Harriet do after driving in Chapter 2?
(a) They go to a concert.
(b) They go to a restaurant.
(c) They go to the movies.
(d) They go for a picnic.
9. Where do Avel and Harriet go after the event in Chapter 8?
(a) To a hotel.
(b) To the lake where Avel proposed.
(c) To Ione's house.
(d) To a cafe.
10. What does Patty Jane begin to do every day in Chapter 9?
(a) Go swimming.
(b) Knit clothes for Nora.
(c) Take walks.
(d) Feed birds in the park.
11. How does Harriet learn about Avel's plane crash?
(a) Harriet hears his name read out on the radio.
(b) By reading about it in the paper.
(c) His sisters tell Harriet.
(d) A police officer telephones her.
12. Where do Avel and Thor actually go on New Year's Eve in Chapter 4?
(a) A street party.
(b) A concert hall.
(c) A bar.
(d) A friend's house.
13. How much time has passed in Chapter 7 since Thor's disappearance?
(a) Four months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) One month.
14. How did Patty Jane's parents die?
(a) From carbon monoxide poisoning.
(b) Of old age.
(c) From pneumonia.
(d) In a car accident.
15. How much money does Avel pay the two women to not do at midnight what they were paid to do?
(a) Five hundred dollars.
(b) Twice as much as they were originally paid.
(c) Enough to cover their bar tab.
(d) Enough to buy a bus ticket out of town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Avel offer Thor a modeling job?
2. How is the goodbye between Avel and Harriet described in Chapter 8?
3. What is the only reason that Patty Jane will get out of bed in Chapter 7?
4. What kind of company is Avel the heir of?
5. Where is "Patty Jane's House of Curl" set?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)