|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gawan must forgo _______ until he settles the matter of the duel, despite the pleading of Lyppaut.
2. What sleeps in the cold next to Parzival, according to the description in the story?
3. What is the name of the King who wants to marry Queen Condwiramurs, though she does not want to marry him?
4. From whom does Parzival decide to take the piece of jewelry, just as his mother had instructed?
5. The ________ bestows the sword upon Parzival and says that it will stand in good stead whenever it is tested in battle.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Queen Herzeloyde forbid others around her from doing with her son?
2. What happens as a result of Gahmuret's wish being granted after the king grants him all that he wants?
3. What does Parzival come across one day, despite the rules that his mother has for him?
4. What is in the letter that Ampflise sends to Gahmuret via messenger?
5. What happens when Clamide arrives at King Arthur's court after his defeat in battle?
6. What does Parzival do, even though he has been warned not to do so by knights on the other side of the door?
7. Why does Keie decide to challenge Parzival as well during this chapter?
8. What does Queen Condwiramurs tell Parzival when she sneaks into his chambers late one evening?
9. What does Gahmuret set out for Toledo to find, according to the story?
10. Why does Orilus act so violently towards his wife when he returns from battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many women want to marry the knights when they have great victories for them, but this angers other people and other kings.
Part 1: Why do you think the women want to marry the victors?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea for the women to marry their knights?
Part 3: How do you think the marriages might impact other kingdoms and lands?
Essay Topic 2
Gawan is challenged to judicial combat in order to work out an issue, and it would be dishonorable to refuse the challenge.
Part 1: What is judicial combat and what is an example of an issue that might be worked out in this way?
Part 2: Why do you think Gawan feels he needs to be a part of this challenge?
Part 3: What might happen if a person refused to be a part of a fight for honor?
Essay Topic 3
Parzival does not ask the question that will free the man from his mysterious ailment.
Part 1: Why is Parzival the one who has the ask the question that will free the man?
Part 2: Why doesn't Parzival ask then question that is needed to be asked?
Part 3: How do you think Parzival could have smoothed things over after not asking the question?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)