|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Thyrsus", what does the poet say covers the thyrsus?
2. In "Already!" what does the narrator see in the sea?
3. How does the boy in "The Rope" die?
4. What does the man's wife do in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
5. In "Which is the Real One?", why are the first beautiful woman's eyes wide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" difficult to paint?
2. Why are windows lit by candles preferred in "Windows"?
3. What is Dorothy's goal in "Beautiful Dorothy"?
4. In "The Gallant Marksman", what happens after the man misses his shot?
5. How does the man feel when he discovers his friend has counterfeit coins in "Counterfeit Money"?
6. What is the thyrsus?
7. How does the man feel about clouds in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
8. What does Baudelaire see in the thoroughbred, in "A Thoroughbred", that no one else sees?
9. In "Loss of a Halo", what does the man say about losing his halo?
10. What pleases the narrator in "Plans" about making plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two poems. Consider their themes, style, and tone.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the city in the lives of people?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of pleasure in this book.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)