|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Gallant Marksman", what does the man attribute his shooting skills to?
2. How does the man in "Counterfeit Money" learn that his friend has counterfeit coins?
3. In "A Heroic Death", what job does Fancioulle have?
4. Why does the artist in "The Rope" want to paint the child so frequently?
5. In "A Thoroughbred", how does the thoroughbred learn her lessons?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Heroic Death", why is Fancioulle's life at risk?
2. What does the Devil promise the narrator of "The Generous Gambler"?
3. What happens when the artist takes in the boy in "The Rope"?
4. How does Fancioulle work to save his life in "A Heroic Death"?
5. How does the man feel about clouds in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
6. What does the fourth boy in "Vocations" tell the others?
7. In "The Gallant Marksman", what happens after the man misses his shot?
8. What happens when land is spotted in "Already!"?
9. Why does Baudelaire say people should always be drunk in "Get Yourself Drunk"?
10. How does the man in "The Mirror" react to the narrator's question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This collection is considered an example of modernism. Define the literary movement and explain how Baudelaire fits, and does not fit, in with the movement.
Essay Topic 2
Research Baudelaire's history. How does this collection fit in with his biography? How is it influenced by the poet's life?
Essay Topic 3
Is the poet's use of different narrators effective? Why?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)