|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Rope", when are illusion and reality described as being the same?
2. What happens when the man shoots in "The Gallant Marksman"?
3. In "Which is the Real One?", why are the first beautiful woman's eyes wide?
4. In "Vocations", what makes the boy who says he is not very happy excited?
5. How is Fancioulle's moment of death described by the poet in "A Heroic Death"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", what happens to the man when he enters the graveyard?
2. What is Dorothy's goal in "Beautiful Dorothy"?
3. What does Baudelaire see in the thoroughbred, in "A Thoroughbred", that no one else sees?
4. In "Which is the Real One/", what is the man's curse?
5. In "Loss of a Halo", what does the man say about losing his halo?
6. How does the man feel when he discovers his friend has counterfeit coins in "Counterfeit Money"?
7. In "The Gallant Marksman", what happens after the man misses his shot?
8. Why are windows lit by candles preferred in "Windows"?
9. How does Fancioulle work to save his life in "A Heroic Death"?
10. What happens when land is spotted in "Already!"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Baudelaire contradict himself throughout these poems? Why might this be?
Essay Topic 2
This collection is considered an example of modernism. Define the literary movement and explain how Baudelaire fits, and does not fit, in with the movement.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the poet's use of the prose format. Is this effective? Why?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)