|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woman's mouth compared to in "The Desire to Paint"?
2. When Dorothy goes to the shore in "Beautiful Dorothy", what does the narrator wonder?
3. In "Portraits of Mistresses", what does the Prince's bastard child often say?
4. What does Baudelaire say happens when he watches the poor old woman in "Windows"?
5. How does the one gentleman in "Portraits of Mistresses" say he feels about finding flaws with mistresses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Devil promise the narrator of "The Generous Gambler"?
2. What does Baudelaire see in the thoroughbred, in "A Thoroughbred", that no one else sees?
3. What are some of the complaints the men in "Portraits of Mistresses" have about their mistresses?
4. In "A Heroic Death", why is Fancioulle's life at risk?
5. How does the journalist in "Solitude" feel about solitude?
6. How does the man in "The Mirror" react to the narrator's question?
7. How does the man feel about clouds in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
8. What is the harm of the Moon blessing children in "The Favors of the Moon"?
9. Why does Baudelaire say people should always be drunk in "Get Yourself Drunk"?
10. What is Dorothy's goal in "Beautiful Dorothy"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the references to religion in these poems. What role does religion play in deciding what is good or evil? What else helps to control morality other than religion?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the roles of women in these poems.
Essay Topic 3
Is the poet's use of different narrators effective? Why?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)