|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baudelaire make the legend in "Windows"?
2. What is the Devil afraid of in "The Generous Gambler"?
3. What season is it in "Vocations"?
4. What is the woman's mouth compared to in "The Desire to Paint"?
5. How does Baudelaire describe the thyrsus in "The Thyrsus"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What pleases the narrator in "Plans" about making plans?
2. What happens when land is spotted in "Already!"?
3. In "Which is the Real One/", what is the man's curse?
4. Why does Baudelaire say people should always be drunk in "Get Yourself Drunk"?
5. What does Baudelaire see in the thoroughbred, in "A Thoroughbred", that no one else sees?
6. How does Baudelaire describe ports in "The Port"?
7. How does the journalist in "Solitude" feel about solitude?
8. What happens when the artist takes in the boy in "The Rope"?
9. How does the woman in "Mademoiselle Bistouri" act due to her obsession with doctors?
10. What are some of the complaints the men in "Portraits of Mistresses" have about their mistresses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research Baudelaire's history. How does this collection fit in with his biography? How is it influenced by the poet's life?
Essay Topic 2
How does the poet use descriptive language in his works? What is the effect of this type of language?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the poetic devices Baudelaire uses such as rhythm, rhyme, repetition, simile, and metaphor.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)