|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do most of the passengers on the boat in "Already!" say when they see land?
2. In "The Soup and the Clouds", how does the man's wife break his daydream?
3. Who begins sending the artist letters after the child's death in "The Rope"?
4. Why does the artist in "The Rope" want to paint the child so frequently?
5. In "The Eyes of the Poor", what does the narrator first say to the woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the thyrsus?
2. How does the journalist in "Solitude" feel about solitude?
3. How does Fancioulle work to save his life in "A Heroic Death"?
4. In "Portraits of Mistresses", how do the men feel about having mistresses?
5. What does Baudelaire see in the thoroughbred, in "A Thoroughbred", that no one else sees?
6. What does the Devil promise the narrator of "The Generous Gambler"?
7. What does the fourth boy in "Vocations" tell the others?
8. In "Loss of a Halo", what does the man say about losing his halo?
9. What is life like on the ship in "Already!"
10. What happens when land is spotted in "Already!"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the references to religion in these poems. What role does religion play in deciding what is good or evil? What else helps to control morality other than religion?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Baudelaire's use of symbolism in this collection. Consider the symbolism tied to dogs, demons, chimeras, and fairies.
Essay Topic 3
This collection is considered an example of modernism. Define the literary movement and explain how Baudelaire fits, and does not fit, in with the movement.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)