|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season is it in "Vocations"?
2. In "The Rope", when are illusion and reality described as being the same?
3. In "A Heroic Death", why does the Prince want to save Fancioulle's life?
4. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", to whom does the narrator think the tavern is in homage?
5. According to the poet in "The Thyrsus", who gets to use the thyrsus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dorothy's goal in "Beautiful Dorothy"?
2. What does the Devil promise the narrator of "The Generous Gambler"?
3. Why is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" difficult to paint?
4. How does the woman in "Mademoiselle Bistouri" act due to her obsession with doctors?
5. What does Baudelaire see in the thoroughbred, in "A Thoroughbred", that no one else sees?
6. In "Portraits of Mistresses", how do the men feel about having mistresses?
7. How does the man feel when he discovers his friend has counterfeit coins in "Counterfeit Money"?
8. How does the man in "The Mirror" react to the narrator's question?
9. Why does Baudelaire say people should always be drunk in "Get Yourself Drunk"?
10. In "Which is the Real One/", what is the man's curse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the poet's use of the prose format. Is this effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two poems. Consider their themes, style, and tone.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Baudelaire's use of symbolism in this collection. Consider the symbolism tied to dogs, demons, chimeras, and fairies.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)