|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the woman as a painting subject described in "The Desire to Paint"?
2. In "A Heroic Death", why does the Prince want to save Fancioulle's life?
3. Where does the man walk in "Plans"?
4. How does the man's wife in "The Gallant Marksman" react to his shooting?
5. In "Beautiful Dorothy", why is Dorothy saving money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the harm of the Moon blessing children in "The Favors of the Moon"?
2. How does Fancioulle work to save his life in "A Heroic Death"?
3. In "Which is the Real One/", what is the man's curse?
4. In "Portraits of Mistresses", how do the men feel about having mistresses?
5. How does the man feel about clouds in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
6. What pleases the narrator in "Plans" about making plans?
7. In "Loss of a Halo", what does the man say about losing his halo?
8. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", what happens to the man when he enters the graveyard?
9. How does the man feel when he discovers his friend has counterfeit coins in "Counterfeit Money"?
10. What is Dorothy's goal in "Beautiful Dorothy"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the beggar motif throughout this collection.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of pleasure in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Baudelaire's use of symbolism in this collection. Consider the symbolism tied to dogs, demons, chimeras, and fairies.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)