|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Beautiful Dorothy", why is Dorothy saving money?
2. How does Baudelaire say he feels about solitude in "Solitude"?
3. What happens when the man shoots in "The Gallant Marksman"?
4. In "Windows", how does Baudelaire say he feels about the legend?
5. According to the poet in "The Thyrsus", who gets to use the thyrsus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the complaints the men in "Portraits of Mistresses" have about their mistresses?
2. How does Fancioulle work to save his life in "A Heroic Death"?
3. How does the man in "The Mirror" react to the narrator's question?
4. In "The Gallant Marksman", what happens after the man misses his shot?
5. Why is the man angry with the woman in "The Eyes of the Poor"?
6. What is life like on the ship in "Already!"
7. What happens when the artist takes in the boy in "The Rope"?
8. In "Which is the Real One/", what is the man's curse?
9. How does the man feel when he discovers his friend has counterfeit coins in "Counterfeit Money"?
10. In "Loss of a Halo", what does the man say about losing his halo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the city in the lives of people?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of pleasure in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the poet's use of the prose format. Is this effective? Why?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)