|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baudelaire make the legend in "Windows"?
2. In "The Rope", when are illusion and reality described as being the same?
3. What makes the man in "Plans" think about a cabin?
4. Who begins sending the artist letters after the child's death in "The Rope"?
5. In "Beautiful Dorothy", why is Dorothy saving money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the woman in "Mademoiselle Bistouri" act due to her obsession with doctors?
2. How does the man feel about clouds in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
3. What is Dorothy's goal in "Beautiful Dorothy"?
4. Why does Baudelaire say people should always be drunk in "Get Yourself Drunk"?
5. What are some of the complaints the men in "Portraits of Mistresses" have about their mistresses?
6. In "A Heroic Death", why is Fancioulle's life at risk?
7. What pleases the narrator in "Plans" about making plans?
8. What is life like on the ship in "Already!"
9. In "The Gallant Marksman", what happens after the man misses his shot?
10. What happens when land is spotted in "Already!"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the beggar motif throughout this collection.
Essay Topic 2
Research Baudelaire's history. How does this collection fit in with his biography? How is it influenced by the poet's life?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of pleasure in this book.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)