|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the thoroughbred described in "A Thoroughbred"?
2. In "The Eyes of the Poor", what does the narrator first say to the woman?
3. How does the man's wife in "The Gallant Marksman" react to his shooting?
4. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman have hanging on her walls?
5. In "The Port", who is described as coming into the port?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the woman in "Mademoiselle Bistouri" act due to her obsession with doctors?
2. What happens when land is spotted in "Already!"?
3. In "The Gallant Marksman", what happens after the man misses his shot?
4. What are some of the complaints the men in "Portraits of Mistresses" have about their mistresses?
5. How does Baudelaire describe ports in "The Port"?
6. How does the journalist in "Solitude" feel about solitude?
7. Why is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" difficult to paint?
8. What is Dorothy's goal in "Beautiful Dorothy"?
9. Why are windows lit by candles preferred in "Windows"?
10. How does the man feel when he discovers his friend has counterfeit coins in "Counterfeit Money"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the city in the lives of people?
Essay Topic 2
This collection is considered an example of modernism. Define the literary movement and explain how Baudelaire fits, and does not fit, in with the movement.
Essay Topic 3
How does Baudelaire contradict himself throughout these poems? Why might this be?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)