|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the men in "Portraits of Mistresses"?
2. In "Solitude", what does the journalist ask the poet about sharing?
3. What season is it in "Vocations"?
4. Where do the men leave in the beginning of "Counterfeit Money"?
5. In "Get Yourself Drunk", what does Baudelaire say slavery is?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Heroic Death", why is Fancioulle's life at risk?
2. What happens when the artist takes in the boy in "The Rope"?
3. What does the fourth boy in "Vocations" tell the others?
4. In "The Gallant Marksman", what happens after the man misses his shot?
5. What is Dorothy's goal in "Beautiful Dorothy"?
6. What is life like on the ship in "Already!"
7. What does the Devil promise the narrator of "The Generous Gambler"?
8. In "Portraits of Mistresses", how do the men feel about having mistresses?
9. Why is the man angry with the woman in "The Eyes of the Poor"?
10. What happens when land is spotted in "Already!"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of pleasure in this book.
Essay Topic 2
How does the poet use descriptive language in his works? What is the effect of this type of language?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the references to religion in these poems. What role does religion play in deciding what is good or evil? What else helps to control morality other than religion?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)