|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Generous Gambler", what does the narrator lose to the man?
2. What happens when the man shoots in "The Gallant Marksman"?
3. How does the narrator know the man he meets in "The Generous Gambler"?
4. How does the second beautiful woman in "Which is the Real One?" feel when she sees the narrator?
5. In "Portraits of Mistresses", what does the one man say happens when someone decides to take a mistress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Baudelaire say people should always be drunk in "Get Yourself Drunk"?
2. How does the man in "The Mirror" react to the narrator's question?
3. In "Loss of a Halo", what does the man say about losing his halo?
4. In "Portraits of Mistresses", how do the men feel about having mistresses?
5. What is the harm of the Moon blessing children in "The Favors of the Moon"?
6. How does Baudelaire describe ports in "The Port"?
7. In "The Gallant Marksman", what happens after the man misses his shot?
8. What happens when land is spotted in "Already!"?
9. How does the man feel about clouds in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
10. How does the woman in "Mademoiselle Bistouri" act due to her obsession with doctors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the references to religion in these poems. What role does religion play in deciding what is good or evil? What else helps to control morality other than religion?
Essay Topic 2
How does the poet use descriptive language in his works? What is the effect of this type of language?
Essay Topic 3
How does Baudelaire use irony in his poems?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)