|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baudelaire say happens when he watches the poor old woman in "Windows"?
2. In "Loss of a Halo", who is imagined to have picked up a halo?
3. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", to whom does the narrator think the tavern is in homage?
4. What is the woman's mouth compared to in "The Desire to Paint"?
5. In "Solitude", how does the journalist back up his statement that solitude is bad for men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the artist takes in the boy in "The Rope"?
2. Why is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" difficult to paint?
3. How does the man in "The Mirror" react to the narrator's question?
4. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", what happens to the man when he enters the graveyard?
5. What does the fourth boy in "Vocations" tell the others?
6. In "Loss of a Halo", what does the man say about losing his halo?
7. What is the harm of the Moon blessing children in "The Favors of the Moon"?
8. How does Fancioulle work to save his life in "A Heroic Death"?
9. What happens when land is spotted in "Already!"?
10. What pleases the narrator in "Plans" about making plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the beggar motif throughout this collection.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the poetic devices Baudelaire uses such as rhythm, rhyme, repetition, simile, and metaphor.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the poet's use of the prose format. Is this effective? Why?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)