|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the one gentleman in "Portraits of Mistresses" say he feels about finding flaws with mistresses?
2. According to the poet in "The Thyrsus", who gets to use the thyrsus?
3. In "Beautiful Dorothy", why is Dorothy saving money?
4. In "The Gallant Marksman", what does the man attribute his shooting skills to?
5. What does the narrator hear in the graveyard in "The Firing Range and the Graveyard"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Gallant Marksman", what happens after the man misses his shot?
2. What happens when land is spotted in "Already!"?
3. In "Loss of a Halo", what does the man say about losing his halo?
4. What pleases the narrator in "Plans" about making plans?
5. Why is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" difficult to paint?
6. What is Dorothy's goal in "Beautiful Dorothy"?
7. Why is the man angry with the woman in "The Eyes of the Poor"?
8. What is the harm of the Moon blessing children in "The Favors of the Moon"?
9. What is life like on the ship in "Already!"
10. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", what happens to the man when he enters the graveyard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the beggar motif throughout this collection.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Baudelaire's use of symbolism in this collection. Consider the symbolism tied to dogs, demons, chimeras, and fairies.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the poetic devices Baudelaire uses such as rhythm, rhyme, repetition, simile, and metaphor.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)