|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poet say is negative in the Moon's interactions with children in "The Favors of the Moon"?
2. What happens when the man shoots in "The Gallant Marksman"?
3. How many boys meet to talk in "Vocations"?
4. In "The Generous Gambler", what does the narrator lose to the man?
5. In "A Heroic Death", why does the Prince want to save Fancioulle's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when land is spotted in "Already!"?
2. How does Baudelaire describe ports in "The Port"?
3. What is Dorothy's goal in "Beautiful Dorothy"?
4. Why does Baudelaire say people should always be drunk in "Get Yourself Drunk"?
5. Why are windows lit by candles preferred in "Windows"?
6. Why is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" difficult to paint?
7. In "The Gallant Marksman", what happens after the man misses his shot?
8. How does the woman in "Mademoiselle Bistouri" act due to her obsession with doctors?
9. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", what happens to the man when he enters the graveyard?
10. What pleases the narrator in "Plans" about making plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the roles of women in these poems.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the poet's analysis of class systems in this collection of poems. What relationships between the classes does he show? How are the classes defined? What is his commentary on both the upper and lower classes?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the poetic devices Baudelaire uses such as rhythm, rhyme, repetition, simile, and metaphor.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)