|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many boys meet to talk in "Vocations"?
2. In "Portraits of Mistresses", why does the man with the mistress who is willing to please break up with her?
3. What makes the man in "Plans" think about a cabin?
4. How does the narrator of "Which is the Real One?" sink into the ground?
5. What does the narrator of "The Generous Gambler" do after the Devil promises him many things?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the journalist in "Solitude" feel about solitude?
2. What does the fourth boy in "Vocations" tell the others?
3. How does Fancioulle work to save his life in "A Heroic Death"?
4. In "Loss of a Halo", what does the man say about losing his halo?
5. Why does Baudelaire say people should always be drunk in "Get Yourself Drunk"?
6. What does the Devil promise the narrator of "The Generous Gambler"?
7. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", what happens to the man when he enters the graveyard?
8. In "Portraits of Mistresses", how do the men feel about having mistresses?
9. How does the man feel when he discovers his friend has counterfeit coins in "Counterfeit Money"?
10. Why is the man angry with the woman in "The Eyes of the Poor"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is greed a motivating factor in several of these poems? What message about greed is delivered?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of pleasure in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of mortality in this collection.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)