|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Beautiful Dorothy", what are the other people doing while Dorothy goes to the shore?
2. What happens when the man shoots in "The Gallant Marksman"?
3. How is the thoroughbred described in "A Thoroughbred"?
4. In "The Generous Gambler", what do the people in the sanctuary look like?
5. What is the woman's mouth compared to in "The Desire to Paint"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Devil promise the narrator of "The Generous Gambler"?
2. What is life like on the ship in "Already!"
3. How does the journalist in "Solitude" feel about solitude?
4. In "Portraits of Mistresses", how do the men feel about having mistresses?
5. What happens when land is spotted in "Already!"?
6. Why is the man angry with the woman in "The Eyes of the Poor"?
7. What pleases the narrator in "Plans" about making plans?
8. In "Loss of a Halo", what does the man say about losing his halo?
9. In "A Heroic Death", why is Fancioulle's life at risk?
10. In "The Gallant Marksman", what happens after the man misses his shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the poet's use of different narrators effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the poetic devices Baudelaire uses such as rhythm, rhyme, repetition, simile, and metaphor.
Essay Topic 3
How does Baudelaire use irony in his poems?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)