|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the boy in "The Rope" die?
2. How does Baudelaire say he feels about solitude in "Solitude"?
3. How does the second beautiful woman in "Which is the Real One?" feel when she sees the narrator?
4. In "The Rope", when are illusion and reality described as being the same?
5. In "Solitude", how does the journalist back up his statement that solitude is bad for men?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", what happens to the man when he enters the graveyard?
2. How does the man feel about clouds in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
3. How does the journalist in "Solitude" feel about solitude?
4. Why is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" difficult to paint?
5. How does the man in "The Mirror" react to the narrator's question?
6. Why are windows lit by candles preferred in "Windows"?
7. In "Which is the Real One/", what is the man's curse?
8. How does the woman in "Mademoiselle Bistouri" act due to her obsession with doctors?
9. What is the thyrsus?
10. What is life like on the ship in "Already!"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Baudelaire's use of symbolism in this collection. Consider the symbolism tied to dogs, demons, chimeras, and fairies.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the beggar motif throughout this collection.
Essay Topic 3
What is the poet's commentary on the arts? What are his commentaries on artists and the art community?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)