|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the poet in "The Thyrsus", who gets to use the thyrsus?
2. Why does the narrator of "Mademoiselle Bistouri" ask the woman questions?
3. In "Which is the Real One?", what does the first beautiful woman's casket look like?
4. What do the passengers on the ship in "Already!" talk about?
5. Who begins sending the artist letters after the child's death in "The Rope"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the artist takes in the boy in "The Rope"?
2. In "The Gallant Marksman", what happens after the man misses his shot?
3. What does Baudelaire see in the thoroughbred, in "A Thoroughbred", that no one else sees?
4. What are some of the complaints the men in "Portraits of Mistresses" have about their mistresses?
5. How does Baudelaire describe ports in "The Port"?
6. Why are windows lit by candles preferred in "Windows"?
7. What happens when land is spotted in "Already!"?
8. How does Fancioulle work to save his life in "A Heroic Death"?
9. In "Loss of a Halo", what does the man say about losing his halo?
10. What pleases the narrator in "Plans" about making plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the poet's use of the prose format. Is this effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Is the poet's use of different narrators effective? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How is greed a motivating factor in several of these poems? What message about greed is delivered?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)