|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What or whom does the narrator of "The Clock" name Feline?
2. How does the narrator describe the dog after he smells the perfume in "The Dog and the Vial"?
3. After the narrator wakes up in "The Double Room", what does he realize he must do?
4. Why does the narrator feel sympathy for the man dressed as a jester in "The Fool and Venus"?
5. In "The Foreigner", what does Baudelaire say about his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator dream about?
2. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what can be seen in black hair?
3. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
4. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
5. What does the narrator say about the concert in "The Widows"?
6. Why does Baudelaire include "To Arsène Houssaye" in this collection of poems?
7. In "The Artist's Confiteor", why is the artist upset?
8. What are some of the things the narrator is upset with in "At One in the Morning"?
9. How does the narrator of "The Toy of the Poor" say poor children are similar to rich children?
10. Why does "The Foreigner" end with a comment about clouds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of mortality in this collection.
Essay Topic 2
How does the poet use descriptive language in his works? What is the effect of this type of language?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the roles of women in these poems.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)