|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom does the she-devil in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" remind the narrator?
2. In "The Bad Glazier", why does the narrator suppose demons take over people?
3. In "At One in the Morning", what allows the narrator to relax?
4. Why does the narrator follow the woman around all day in "The Widows"?
5. In "The Toy of the Poor", what separates the rich child from the poor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
2. What are the fairies doing in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
3. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
4. In "The Old Woman's Despair", how does the old woman feel after visiting the baby?
5. What are the voices discussing in "The Foreigner"?
6. In "To Each His Chimera", what do the chimeras make the narrator realize?
7. What does the narrator say about the concert in "The Widows"?
8. What does Baudelaire say about the night in "Evening Twilight"?
9. What type of person does the poet describe in "Crowds"?
10. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator dream about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Baudelaire contradict himself throughout these poems? Why might this be?
Essay Topic 2
How is greed a motivating factor in several of these poems? What message about greed is delivered?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Baudelaire's use of symbolism in this collection. Consider the symbolism tied to dogs, demons, chimeras, and fairies.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)