|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "To Arsène Houssaye", what does Baudelaire say this work lacks?
2. Who chooses the gifts the children receive in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
3. What do the men say to the narrator when he asks them questions in "To Each His Chimera"?
4. In "The Dog and The Vial", what does the narrator say the dog resembles?
5. How does the narrator of "The Clock" describe Feline?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator of "The Toy of the Poor" say poor children are similar to rich children?
2. In "The Old Woman's Despair", how does the old woman feel after visiting the baby?
3. Why does the fairy become upset with the tradesman in "The Fairies' Gift"?
4. Why does "The Foreigner" end with a comment about clouds?
5. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
6. What does Baudelaire say about the night in "Evening Twilight"?
7. What happens when the dog smells perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
8. What are some of the things the narrator is upset with in "At One in the Morning"?
9. In "To Each His Chimera", what do the chimeras make the narrator realize?
10. In "A Joker", what does the narrator think about while watching the man and the donkey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This collection is considered an example of modernism. Define the literary movement and explain how Baudelaire fits, and does not fit, in with the movement.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the city in the lives of people?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of mortality in this collection.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)