|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poet say the first man died of "Evening Twilight"?
2. In "The Old Mountebank", how do the merchants try to get the customers' attention?
3. In "The Bad Glazier", why does the narrator suppose demons take over people?
4. How is the scent of the hair in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair" described?
5. What does the hair feel like in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
2. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
3. Why does the narrator of "Invitation to the Voyage" want to travel?
4. What does Baudelaire say about the night in "Evening Twilight"?
5. What are the voices discussing in "The Foreigner"?
6. Why does the fairy become upset with the tradesman in "The Fairies' Gift"?
7. What are some of the things the narrator is upset with in "At One in the Morning"?
8. What does the poet say about the Chinese in "The Clock"?
9. What does the narrator say about the concert in "The Widows"?
10. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the poet's use of the prose format. Is this effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two poems. Consider their themes, style, and tone.
Essay Topic 3
This collection is considered an example of modernism. Define the literary movement and explain how Baudelaire fits, and does not fit, in with the movement.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)