|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator of "The Fool and Venus" describe the day?
2. Of whom does the she-devil in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" remind the narrator?
3. In "The Old Mountebank", how do the merchants try to get the customers' attention?
4. In "The Old Mountebank", what does the narrator first notice about the mountebank?
5. How is the scent of the hair in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair" described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the narrator change his mind about the setting in "Cake"?
2. In "A Joker", what does the narrator think about while watching the man and the donkey?
3. What are some of the things the narrator is upset with in "At One in the Morning"?
4. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what can be seen in black hair?
5. Why does Baudelaire include "To Arsène Houssaye" in this collection of poems?
6. How does the narrator of "The Old Mountebank" feel about the mountebank?
7. In "To Each His Chimera", what do the chimeras make the narrator realize?
8. What type of person does the poet describe in "Crowds"?
9. What are the voices discussing in "The Foreigner"?
10. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the poet's use of the prose format. Is this effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How is greed a motivating factor in several of these poems? What message about greed is delivered?
Essay Topic 3
What is the poet's commentary on the arts? What are his commentaries on artists and the art community?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)