|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Old Mountebank", how do the merchants try to get the customers' attention?
2. When the narrator wakes up in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", how does he feel about his interactions with the demons?
3. In "The Old Woman's Despair", why does the woman visit the baby?
4. How is the scent of the hair in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair" described?
5. Why does the narrator feel sympathy for the man dressed as a jester in "The Fool and Venus"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the journalist in "Solitude" feel about solitude?
2. How does Baudelaire describe ports in "The Port"?
3. What happens when the dog smells perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
4. What does Baudelaire say about the night in "Evening Twilight"?
5. What does the man realize at the end of "Let's Beat Up the Poor"?
6. What are some of the things the narrator is upset with in "At One in the Morning"?
7. What leads the man in "Let's Beat Up the Poor" to beat the beggar?
8. How does Fancioulle work to save his life in "A Heroic Death"?
9. What happens when the artist takes in the boy in "The Rope"?
10. What does the narrator say about the concert in "The Widows"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research Baudelaire's history. How does this collection fit in with his biography? How is it influenced by the poet's life?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two poems. Consider their themes, style, and tone.
Essay Topic 3
How does Baudelaire contradict himself throughout these poems? Why might this be?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)