|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Foreigner", how is beauty described?
2. In "Crowds", what does the narrator give credit to for the people who stand out in a crowd?
3. How is "The Foreigner" organized?
4. How does the tradesman react to his child's gift in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
5. In "To Arsène Houssaye", what does the author say reading Aloysius Bertrand made him want to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does "The Foreigner" end with a comment about clouds?
2. How does the narrator of "The Toy of the Poor" say poor children are similar to rich children?
3. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
4. Why does Baudelaire include "To Arsène Houssaye" in this collection of poems?
5. What does the poet say about the Chinese in "The Clock"?
6. What does the narrator say about the concert in "The Widows"?
7. What type of person does the poet describe in "Crowds"?
8. What does the narrator see in the jester's eyes in "The Fool and Venus"?
9. In "The Widows", what does the narrator see when he follows the woman?
10. Why does the narrator of "Invitation to the Voyage" want to travel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the poet's commentary on the arts? What are his commentaries on artists and the art community?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the roles of women in these poems.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of mortality in this collection.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)