|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Foreigner", what does Baudelaire say about his father?
2. Who chooses the gifts the children receive in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
3. What does the narrator of "A Joker" think of his society?
4. Why does the narrator want something of color from the glazier in "The Bad Glazier"?
5. In "The Widows", who does the narrator say visits public parks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the voices discussing in "The Foreigner"?
2. What does Baudelaire say about the night in "Evening Twilight"?
3. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what can be seen in black hair?
4. Why does "The Foreigner" end with a comment about clouds?
5. What does the narrator see in the jester's eyes in "The Fool and Venus"?
6. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
7. Why does Baudelaire include "To Arsène Houssaye" in this collection of poems?
8. What are some of the things the narrator is upset with in "At One in the Morning"?
9. Why does the narrator threaten to throw the woman out in "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress"?
10. What happens after the glazier leaves the man's room in "The Bad Glazier"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the beggar motif throughout this collection.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Baudelaire's use of symbolism in this collection. Consider the symbolism tied to dogs, demons, chimeras, and fairies.
Essay Topic 3
Is the poet's use of different narrators effective? Why?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)