|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress", what does the narrator describe as being in an iron cage?
2. What does the narrator drop on the glazier in "The Bad Glazier"?
3. How does the narrator of "The Clock" describe Feline?
4. In "The Widows", who does the narrator say visits public parks?
5. In "The Dog and The Vial", what does the narrator say the dog resembles?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
2. In "A Joker", what does the narrator think about while watching the man and the donkey?
3. What does Baudelaire say about the night in "Evening Twilight"?
4. How does the narrator of "The Old Mountebank" feel about the mountebank?
5. In "To Each His Chimera", what do the chimeras make the narrator realize?
6. Why does "The Foreigner" end with a comment about clouds?
7. What are the voices discussing in "The Foreigner"?
8. What happens when the dog smells perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
9. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
10. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what can be seen in black hair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the poetic devices Baudelaire uses such as rhythm, rhyme, repetition, simile, and metaphor.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Baudelaire's use of symbolism in this collection. Consider the symbolism tied to dogs, demons, chimeras, and fairies.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of pleasure in this book.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)