|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", where does the poet see "the languor of long hours"?
2. In "The Foreigner", what does Baudelaire say he does not know the latitude of?
3. In "The Old Mountebank", how do the merchants try to get the customers' attention?
4. In "The Foreigner", how is beauty described?
5. In "The Clock", how do the Chinese tell time using cats?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the dog smells perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
2. In "A Joker", what does the narrator think about while watching the man and the donkey?
3. In "To Each His Chimera", what do the chimeras make the narrator realize?
4. How does the narrator of "The Old Mountebank" feel about the mountebank?
5. What makes the narrator change his mind about the setting in "Cake"?
6. Why does the fairy become upset with the tradesman in "The Fairies' Gift"?
7. What type of person does the poet describe in "Crowds"?
8. In "The Old Woman's Despair", how does the old woman feel after visiting the baby?
9. What does Baudelaire say about the night in "Evening Twilight"?
10. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the beggar motif throughout this collection.
Essay Topic 2
How does the poet use descriptive language in his works? What is the effect of this type of language?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Baudelaire's use of symbolism in this collection. Consider the symbolism tied to dogs, demons, chimeras, and fairies.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)