|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the mountebank in "The Old Mountebank"?
2. What does the narrator ask the men in "To Each His Chimera"?
3. In "The Widows", why is the woman by the gate not allowed in the concert?
4. Why does the narrator not go to speak to the mountebank about his wares in "The Old Mountebank"?
5. How is the scent of the hair in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair" described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
2. In "The Old Woman's Despair", how does the old woman feel after visiting the baby?
3. In "A Joker", what does the narrator think about while watching the man and the donkey?
4. What are the fairies doing in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
5. In "To Each His Chimera", what do the chimeras make the narrator realize?
6. What does the narrator see in the jester's eyes in "The Fool and Venus"?
7. Why does the narrator threaten to throw the woman out in "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress"?
8. What does the narrator say about the concert in "The Widows"?
9. What happens when the dog smells perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
10. How does the narrator of "The Old Mountebank" feel about the mountebank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the poetic devices Baudelaire uses such as rhythm, rhyme, repetition, simile, and metaphor.
Essay Topic 2
This collection is considered an example of modernism. Define the literary movement and explain how Baudelaire fits, and does not fit, in with the movement.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the beggar motif throughout this collection.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)