|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Crowds", what is the poet's gift?
2. In "The Toy of the Poor", what separates the rich child from the poor?
3. In "The Widows", what do the poor do with their grief?
4. In "The Old Woman's Despair", to what does the old woman compare herself?
5. What does the narrator ask the men in "To Each His Chimera"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
2. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what can be seen in black hair?
3. Why does "The Foreigner" end with a comment about clouds?
4. What does the narrator say about the concert in "The Widows"?
5. What makes the narrator change his mind about the setting in "Cake"?
6. In "The Artist's Confiteor", why is the artist upset?
7. In "A Joker", what does the narrator think about while watching the man and the donkey?
8. What are some of the things the narrator is upset with in "At One in the Morning"?
9. Why does the fairy become upset with the tradesman in "The Fairies' Gift"?
10. What are the fairies doing in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of mortality in this collection.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between the titles of the poems in this collection and the poems themselves.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the references to religion in these poems. What role does religion play in deciding what is good or evil? What else helps to control morality other than religion?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)