|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator describe about the room?
2. In "The Toy of the Poor", what separates the rich child from the poor?
3. In "The Old Mountebank", how do the merchants try to get the customers' attention?
4. In "A Joker", what does the donkey do when he sees the man?
5. Why does the narrator feel sympathy for the man dressed as a jester in "The Fool and Venus"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
2. What happens when the dog smells perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
3. Why does the narrator threaten to throw the woman out in "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress"?
4. How does the narrator of "The Toy of the Poor" say poor children are similar to rich children?
5. What type of person does the poet describe in "Crowds"?
6. Why does "The Foreigner" end with a comment about clouds?
7. In "A Joker", what does the narrator think about while watching the man and the donkey?
8. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator dream about?
9. In "The Widows", what does the narrator see when he follows the woman?
10. What does the narrator say about the concert in "The Widows"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two poems. Consider their themes, style, and tone.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the poet's analysis of class systems in this collection of poems. What relationships between the classes does he show? How are the classes defined? What is his commentary on both the upper and lower classes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of mortality in this collection.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)