|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator of "The Clock" describe Feline?
2. What does the dog do after smelling the perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
3. In "To Each His Chimera", how does the narrator describe the chimera on the backs of the men?
4. Why does Baudelaire mention clouds in "The Foreigner"?
5. In "Crowds", what does the narrator give credit to for the people who stand out in a crowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator threaten to throw the woman out in "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress"?
2. In "The Artist's Confiteor", why is the artist upset?
3. In "The Old Woman's Despair", how does the old woman feel after visiting the baby?
4. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
5. What does the narrator say about the concert in "The Widows"?
6. What are the fairies doing in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
7. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
8. What does Baudelaire say about the night in "Evening Twilight"?
9. What are some of the things the narrator is upset with in "At One in the Morning"?
10. What are the voices discussing in "The Foreigner"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the poet's analysis of class systems in this collection of poems. What relationships between the classes does he show? How are the classes defined? What is his commentary on both the upper and lower classes?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the poetic devices Baudelaire uses such as rhythm, rhyme, repetition, simile, and metaphor.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of pleasure in this book.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)