|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Widows", what do the poor do with their grief?
2. Why does the narrator feel sympathy for the man dressed as a jester in "The Fool and Venus"?
3. What does the dog do after smelling the perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
4. In "The Dog and The Vial", what does the narrator say the dog resembles?
5. In "To Each His Chimera", what color is the sky?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Invitation to the Voyage" want to travel?
2. Why does Baudelaire say people should always be drunk in "Get Yourself Drunk"?
3. In "The Gallant Marksman", what happens after the man misses his shot?
4. In "Any Where Out of the World", what does the narrator ask his soul?
5. Why is the man angry with the woman in "The Eyes of the Poor"?
6. What type of person does the poet describe in "Crowds"?
7. How does Fancioulle work to save his life in "A Heroic Death"?
8. What is life like on the ship in "Already!"
9. How does the journalist in "Solitude" feel about solitude?
10. What is the thyrsus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the beggar motif throughout this collection.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the city in the lives of people?
Essay Topic 3
Research Baudelaire's history. How does this collection fit in with his biography? How is it influenced by the poet's life?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)