|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator wakes up in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", how does he feel about his interactions with the demons?
2. In "A Joker", why does the man stop when he sees the donkey?
3. In "To Each His Chimera", how does the narrator describe the chimera on the backs of the men?
4. How is the scent of the hair in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair" described?
5. In "The Foreigner", how is beauty described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the dog smells perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
2. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator dream about?
3. What does the narrator see in the jester's eyes in "The Fool and Venus"?
4. What are some of the things the narrator is upset with in "At One in the Morning"?
5. In "The Widows", what does the narrator see when he follows the woman?
6. In "The Artist's Confiteor", why is the artist upset?
7. In "To Each His Chimera", what do the chimeras make the narrator realize?
8. Why does "The Foreigner" end with a comment about clouds?
9. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
10. What makes the narrator change his mind about the setting in "Cake"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is greed a motivating factor in several of these poems? What message about greed is delivered?
Essay Topic 2
Is the poet's use of different narrators effective? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationship between the titles of the poems in this collection and the poems themselves.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)