|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the mountebank in "The Old Mountebank"?
2. Why does the artist in "The Artist's Confiteor" decide he cannot describe nature?
3. In "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress", what bothers the narrator about the woman?
4. How does the narrator of "The Clock" describe Feline?
5. Why does Baudelaire mention clouds in "The Foreigner"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the man angry with the woman in "The Eyes of the Poor"?
2. In "Any Where Out of the World", what does the narrator ask his soul?
3. How does the narrator of "The Old Mountebank" feel about the mountebank?
4. How does the man feel about clouds in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
5. Why does Baudelaire include "To Arsène Houssaye" in this collection of poems?
6. In "The Widows", what does the narrator see when he follows the woman?
7. In "Which is the Real One/", what is the man's curse?
8. In "The Artist's Confiteor", why is the artist upset?
9. In "Loss of a Halo", what does the man say about losing his halo?
10. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
Essay Topic 1
This collection is considered an example of modernism. Define the literary movement and explain how Baudelaire fits, and does not fit, in with the movement.
Essay Topic 2
How does Baudelaire use irony in his poems?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two poems. Consider their themes, style, and tone.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)