|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "To Each His Chimera", what color is the sky?
2. How does the narrator of "The Clock" describe Feline?
3. How many devils visit the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame"?
4. Why does the narrator say the poor children will be wary in "The Toy of the Poor"?
5. How does the fairy feel about the tradesman at the end of "The Fairies' Gifts"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Baudelaire say about the night in "Evening Twilight"?
2. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
3. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
4. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
5. What are the fairies doing in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
6. Why does the fairy become upset with the tradesman in "The Fairies' Gift"?
7. What type of person does the poet describe in "Crowds"?
8. What are the voices discussing in "The Foreigner"?
9. What happens when the dog smells perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
10. Why does the narrator of "Invitation to the Voyage" want to travel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Baudelaire's use of symbolism in this collection. Consider the symbolism tied to dogs, demons, chimeras, and fairies.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of mortality in this collection.
Essay Topic 3
Is the poet's use of different narrators effective? Why?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)