|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the strange man call "cake" in "Cake"?
2. How does the fairy feel about the tradesman at the end of "The Fairies' Gifts"?
3. In "The Old Mountebank", what does the narrator first notice about the mountebank?
4. In "The Bad Glazier", why does the narrator suppose demons take over people?
5. What does the poor child play with in "The Toy of the Poor"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the glazier leaves the man's room in "The Bad Glazier"?
2. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
3. What happens when the dog smells perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
4. What does the narrator say about the concert in "The Widows"?
5. What does the poet say about the Chinese in "The Clock"?
6. Why does Baudelaire include "To Arsène Houssaye" in this collection of poems?
7. In "The Widows", what does the narrator see when he follows the woman?
8. What does Baudelaire say about the night in "Evening Twilight"?
9. What does the narrator see in the jester's eyes in "The Fool and Venus"?
10. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research Baudelaire's history. How does this collection fit in with his biography? How is it influenced by the poet's life?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the poetic devices Baudelaire uses such as rhythm, rhyme, repetition, simile, and metaphor.
Essay Topic 3
How does Baudelaire contradict himself throughout these poems? Why might this be?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)