|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the strange man in "Cake" has a piece of food?
2. In "To Arsène Houssaye", what does Baudelaire say this work lacks?
3. When the narrator wakes up in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", how does he feel about his interactions with the demons?
4. Why does the narrator not go to speak to the mountebank about his wares in "The Old Mountebank"?
5. In "The Bad Glazier", why does the narrator's friend start a forest fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say about the concert in "The Widows"?
2. How does the narrator of "The Toy of the Poor" say poor children are similar to rich children?
3. Why does the fairy become upset with the tradesman in "The Fairies' Gift"?
4. In "The Artist's Confiteor", why is the artist upset?
5. What does the narrator see in the jester's eyes in "The Fool and Venus"?
6. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
7. What makes the narrator change his mind about the setting in "Cake"?
8. In "The Old Woman's Despair", how does the old woman feel after visiting the baby?
9. What happens after the glazier leaves the man's room in "The Bad Glazier"?
10. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two poems. Consider their themes, style, and tone.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of mortality in this collection.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the city in the lives of people?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)