|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Foreigner", to what is gold compared?
2. Of whom does the she-devil in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" remind the narrator?
3. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what does the first demon offer the narrator?
4. In "At One in the Morning", what allows the narrator to relax?
5. In "The Bad Glazier", why does the narrator suppose demons take over people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
2. Why does the narrator of "Invitation to the Voyage" want to travel?
3. In "The Artist's Confiteor", why is the artist upset?
4. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
5. What type of person does the poet describe in "Crowds"?
6. What are the voices discussing in "The Foreigner"?
7. What makes the narrator change his mind about the setting in "Cake"?
8. What happens when the dog smells perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
9. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what can be seen in black hair?
10. In "To Each His Chimera", what do the chimeras make the narrator realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the poet's use of the prose format. Is this effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Baudelaire's use of symbolism in this collection. Consider the symbolism tied to dogs, demons, chimeras, and fairies.
Essay Topic 3
How does the poet use descriptive language in his works? What is the effect of this type of language?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)