|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Bad Glazier", why does the narrator's friend start a forest fire?
2. What does the poet say the first man died of "Evening Twilight"?
3. Why does the narrator feel sympathy for the man dressed as a jester in "The Fool and Venus"?
4. What does the narrator ask the men in "To Each His Chimera"?
5. What does the narrator call himself in "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
2. How does the narrator of "The Old Mountebank" feel about the mountebank?
3. What are the voices discussing in "The Foreigner"?
4. In "The Old Woman's Despair", how does the old woman feel after visiting the baby?
5. Why does the narrator of "Invitation to the Voyage" want to travel?
6. What does Baudelaire say about the night in "Evening Twilight"?
7. In "To Each His Chimera", what do the chimeras make the narrator realize?
8. What type of person does the poet describe in "Crowds"?
9. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
10. In "The Widows", what does the narrator see when he follows the woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the poetic devices Baudelaire uses such as rhythm, rhyme, repetition, simile, and metaphor.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Baudelaire's use of symbolism in this collection. Consider the symbolism tied to dogs, demons, chimeras, and fairies.
Essay Topic 3
How does the poet use descriptive language in his works? What is the effect of this type of language?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)