|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" turn down the ability to have everything of wealth?
2. In "The Widows", what do the poor do with their grief?
3. In "The Clock", how do the Chinese tell time using cats?
4. How does the poet describe the words "multitude" and "solitude" in "Crowds"?
5. What do the men say to the narrator when he asks them questions in "To Each His Chimera"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
2. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what can be seen in black hair?
3. What happens when the dog smells perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
4. What does the narrator say about the concert in "The Widows"?
5. What are the fairies doing in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
6. What does the poet say about the Chinese in "The Clock"?
7. In "A Joker", what does the narrator think about while watching the man and the donkey?
8. How does the narrator of "The Toy of the Poor" say poor children are similar to rich children?
9. What does the narrator see in the jester's eyes in "The Fool and Venus"?
10. In "The Artist's Confiteor", why is the artist upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Baudelaire's use of symbolism in this collection. Consider the symbolism tied to dogs, demons, chimeras, and fairies.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the poet's analysis of class systems in this collection of poems. What relationships between the classes does he show? How are the classes defined? What is his commentary on both the upper and lower classes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two poems. Consider their themes, style, and tone.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)