|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Baudelaire use to describe clouds in "The Foreigner"?
2. Why does the man throw a chicken in "Evening Twilight"?
3. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator describe about the room?
4. Why does the narrator want something of color from the glazier in "The Bad Glazier"?
5. In "The Dog and The Vial", what does the narrator say the dog resembles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Baudelaire include "To Arsène Houssaye" in this collection of poems?
2. What does the narrator see in the jester's eyes in "The Fool and Venus"?
3. Why does the narrator threaten to throw the woman out in "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress"?
4. How does the narrator of "The Toy of the Poor" say poor children are similar to rich children?
5. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
6. What makes the narrator change his mind about the setting in "Cake"?
7. In "A Joker", what does the narrator think about while watching the man and the donkey?
8. What type of person does the poet describe in "Crowds"?
9. What does Baudelaire say about the night in "Evening Twilight"?
10. What happens after the glazier leaves the man's room in "The Bad Glazier"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the poet's analysis of class systems in this collection of poems. What relationships between the classes does he show? How are the classes defined? What is his commentary on both the upper and lower classes?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of pleasure in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the references to religion in these poems. What role does religion play in deciding what is good or evil? What else helps to control morality other than religion?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)