|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Crowds", what does the narrator give credit to for the people who stand out in a crowd?
2. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator describe about the room?
3. What happens after the strange man in "Cake" has a piece of food?
4. What season does the poet reflect upon in "The Artist's Confiteor"?
5. In "The Widows", who does the narrator say visits public parks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
2. What are the fairies doing in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
3. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
4. How does the narrator of "The Old Mountebank" feel about the mountebank?
5. What does the poet say about the Chinese in "The Clock"?
6. In "The Widows", what does the narrator see when he follows the woman?
7. In "The Old Woman's Despair", how does the old woman feel after visiting the baby?
8. In "To Each His Chimera", what do the chimeras make the narrator realize?
9. In "A Joker", what does the narrator think about while watching the man and the donkey?
10. Why does Baudelaire include "To Arsène Houssaye" in this collection of poems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the beggar motif throughout this collection.
Essay Topic 2
How is greed a motivating factor in several of these poems? What message about greed is delivered?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of pleasure in this book.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)