|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator of "A Joker" think of his society?
2. Where does the poet glimpse men in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair"?
3. In "The Old Woman's Despair", to what does the old woman compare herself?
4. In "The Widows", what do the poor do with their grief?
5. Of whom does the she-devil in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" remind the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator threaten to throw the woman out in "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress"?
2. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator dream about?
3. What are some of the things the narrator is upset with in "At One in the Morning"?
4. What are the fairies doing in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
5. What type of person does the poet describe in "Crowds"?
6. In "To Each His Chimera", what do the chimeras make the narrator realize?
7. Why does Baudelaire include "To Arsène Houssaye" in this collection of poems?
8. How does the narrator of "The Old Mountebank" feel about the mountebank?
9. What makes the narrator change his mind about the setting in "Cake"?
10. What does the narrator say about the concert in "The Widows"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of pleasure in this book.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the poet's analysis of class systems in this collection of poems. What relationships between the classes does he show? How are the classes defined? What is his commentary on both the upper and lower classes?
Essay Topic 3
This collection is considered an example of modernism. Define the literary movement and explain how Baudelaire fits, and does not fit, in with the movement.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)