|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Foreigner", what emotion does Baudelaire discuss?
2. In "The Old Mountebank", how do the merchants try to get the customers' attention?
3. What does the dog do after smelling the perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
4. What happens to the mountebank in "The Old Mountebank"?
5. What does Baudelaire say about friends in "The Foreigner"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", what happens to the man when he enters the graveyard?
2. Why does "The Foreigner" end with a comment about clouds?
3. In "A Heroic Death", why is Fancioulle's life at risk?
4. What does the poet say about the Chinese in "The Clock"?
5. Why does Baudelaire include "To Arsène Houssaye" in this collection of poems?
6. What does Baudelaire see in the thoroughbred, in "A Thoroughbred", that no one else sees?
7. In "A Joker", what does the narrator think about while watching the man and the donkey?
8. In "Loss of a Halo", what does the man say about losing his halo?
9. What does the Devil promise the narrator of "The Generous Gambler"?
10. What is the harm of the Moon blessing children in "The Favors of the Moon"?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between the titles of the poems in this collection and the poems themselves.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the poetic devices Baudelaire uses such as rhythm, rhyme, repetition, simile, and metaphor.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of mortality in this collection.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)