|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Baudelaire make the legend in "Windows"?
(a) From writing about the old woman.
(b) From watching the old woman.
(c) From taking frequent naps.
(d) From peering into his neighbors' windows.
2. Why does the first beautiful woman die young in "Which is the Real One?"
(a) Because of an illness.
(b) Because of her beauty.
(c) Because she was beaten.
(d) Because of an accident.
3. What does the narrator of "The Eyes of the Poor" remember the woman doing when she saw the poor man?
(a) She gave the small child a toy.
(b) She threw a coin at them.
(c) She had a waiter make them leave.
(d) She turned her back to them.
4. How does the narrator of "Which is the Real One?" sink into the ground?
(a) He dives into a pond but does not surface.
(b) He is shoved down.
(c) He stamps his foot.
(d) He falls in a hole.
5. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman ask the man?
(a) If he is a doctor.
(b) If he knows the time.
(c) If he can give her directions.
(d) If they have met before.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Thyrsus", what does the poet say covers the thyrsus?
2. In "Solitude", what does the journalist ask the poet about sharing?
3. In "Which is the Real One?", what does the first beautiful woman's casket look like?
4. In "Which is the Real One?", why are the first beautiful woman's eyes wide?
5. How is the woman as a painting subject described in "The Desire to Paint"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the man feel about clouds in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
2. Why is the man angry with the woman in "The Eyes of the Poor"?
3. In "Which is the Real One/", what is the man's curse?
4. What does the Devil promise the narrator of "The Generous Gambler"?
5. How does the woman in "Mademoiselle Bistouri" act due to her obsession with doctors?
6. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", what happens to the man when he enters the graveyard?
7. How does Fancioulle work to save his life in "A Heroic Death"?
8. Why is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" difficult to paint?
9. How does Baudelaire describe ports in "The Port"?
10. What does Baudelaire see in the thoroughbred, in "A Thoroughbred", that no one else sees?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)