|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poet say is negative in the Moon's interactions with children in "The Favors of the Moon"?
(a) It breaks the laws of science.
(b) It creates lunatics.
(c) It causes ill health.
(d) It is unfair to others.
2. How does Baudelaire make the legend in "Windows"?
(a) From peering into his neighbors' windows.
(b) From writing about the old woman.
(c) From watching the old woman.
(d) From taking frequent naps.
3. What does the narrator of "The Eyes of the Poor" remember the woman doing when she saw the poor man?
(a) She gave the small child a toy.
(b) She threw a coin at them.
(c) She had a waiter make them leave.
(d) She turned her back to them.
4. In "Portraits of Mistresses", what does the Prince's bastard child often say?
(a) What would be different if she were a man.
(b) Where she plans to travel.
(c) How she would spend her money if she had any.
(d) Why she is right about everything.
5. In "The Eyes of the Poor", how many children does the narrator say the poor man had with him?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Port", who is described as coming into the port?
2. How does the second beautiful woman in "Which is the Real One?" feel when she sees the narrator?
3. How does Baudelaire say he feels about solitude in "Solitude"?
4. How does the one gentleman in "Portraits of Mistresses" say he feels about finding flaws with mistresses?
5. Where do the men leave in the beginning of "Counterfeit Money"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Baudelaire see in the thoroughbred, in "A Thoroughbred", that no one else sees?
2. How does Baudelaire describe ports in "The Port"?
3. How does Fancioulle work to save his life in "A Heroic Death"?
4. What happens when land is spotted in "Already!"?
5. What does the Devil promise the narrator of "The Generous Gambler"?
6. How does the journalist in "Solitude" feel about solitude?
7. In "Which is the Real One/", what is the man's curse?
8. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", what happens to the man when he enters the graveyard?
9. What is life like on the ship in "Already!"
10. What is the thyrsus?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)