|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dorothy goes to the shore in "Beautiful Dorothy", what does the narrator wonder?
(a) If she is meeting someone.
(b) If she is lonely.
(c) If she is wasting time.
(d) If she is going swimming.
2. What does the narrator of "The Eyes of the Poor" remember the woman doing when she saw the poor man?
(a) She gave the small child a toy.
(b) She had a waiter make them leave.
(c) She threw a coin at them.
(d) She turned her back to them.
3. What does the narrator of "The Generous Gambler" do after the Devil promises him many things?
(a) He wakes up.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He asks to go with the Devil.
(d) He prays to God.
4. In "Portraits of Mistresses", how many men sit around talking?
5. In "Portraits of Mistresses", why does the man with the mistress who is willing to please break up with her?
(a) Because she found no pleasure for herself.
(b) Because he found a new mistress.
(c) She broke up with him.
(d) Because she was getting too old.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baudelaire say he feels about solitude in "Solitude"?
2. What is the Devil afraid of in "The Generous Gambler"?
3. How does Baudelaire make the legend in "Windows"?
4. How many boys meet to talk in "Vocations"?
5. In "Beautiful Dorothy", what are the other people doing while Dorothy goes to the shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are windows lit by candles preferred in "Windows"?
2. What pleases the narrator in "Plans" about making plans?
3. Why does Baudelaire say people should always be drunk in "Get Yourself Drunk"?
4. How does Baudelaire describe ports in "The Port"?
5. What does Baudelaire see in the thoroughbred, in "A Thoroughbred", that no one else sees?
6. How does the man feel about clouds in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
7. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", what happens to the man when he enters the graveyard?
8. What are some of the complaints the men in "Portraits of Mistresses" have about their mistresses?
9. What does the fourth boy in "Vocations" tell the others?
10. What is Dorothy's goal in "Beautiful Dorothy"?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)