|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator know the man he meets in "The Generous Gambler"?
(a) He has always wanted to meet him.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They went to school together.
(d) They live in the same building.
2. What does the narrator hear in the graveyard in "The Firing Range and the Graveyard"?
(a) Crying and singing.
(b) Voices and gun shots.
(c) Breaking glass and gun shots.
(d) Cries and breaking glass.
3. In "Vocations", what makes the boy who says he is not very happy excited?
(a) Receiving a small gift.
(b) Getting to move to another town.
(c) Remembering men from the fair.
(d) Having best friends.
4. Why does the first beautiful woman die young in "Which is the Real One?"
(a) Because she was beaten.
(b) Because of an accident.
(c) Because of her beauty.
(d) Because of an illness.
5. In "Solitude", what does the journalist ask the poet about sharing?
(a) If he feels the need to share joy.
(b) If he can define the word.
(c) If he shares his money with the needy.
(d) If solitude protects him from sharing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baudelaire say happens when he watches the poor old woman in "Windows"?
2. Why is the narrator of "The Firing Range and the Graveyard" criticized?
3. In "The Port", who is described as coming into the port?
4. In "Beautiful Dorothy", what are the other people doing while Dorothy goes to the shore?
5. What does the Moon leave with the child in "The Favors of the Moon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the man feel when he discovers his friend has counterfeit coins in "Counterfeit Money"?
2. How does the man feel about clouds in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
3. Why is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" difficult to paint?
4. What is life like on the ship in "Already!"
5. How does the woman in "Mademoiselle Bistouri" act due to her obsession with doctors?
6. What are some of the complaints the men in "Portraits of Mistresses" have about their mistresses?
7. What is the thyrsus?
8. In "Which is the Real One/", what is the man's curse?
9. In "Portraits of Mistresses", how do the men feel about having mistresses?
10. In "The Gallant Marksman", what happens after the man misses his shot?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)