|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Windows", how does Baudelaire say he feels about the legend?
(a) As if it teaches him daily.
(b) As if it saves his life.
(c) As if it is not true at all.
(d) As if he has suffered for it.
2. In "A Thoroughbred", how does the thoroughbred learn her lessons?
(a) From no one.
(b) From a man.
(c) From reality.
(d) From the stars.
3. What does the man's wife do in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
(a) She eats leftover soup.
(b) She makes dinner.
(c) She goes for a walk.
(d) She watches the clouds with him.
4. In "Portraits of Mistresses", why does the man with the mistress who is willing to please break up with her?
(a) Because she found no pleasure for herself.
(b) Because she was getting too old.
(c) Because he found a new mistress.
(d) She broke up with him.
5. What does Baudelaire say happens when he watches the poor old woman in "Windows"?
(a) It inspires him to write.
(b) She catches him watching her.
(c) Sometimes he cries.
(d) He falls asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the passengers on the ship in "Already!" talk about?
2. According to the poet in "The Thyrsus", who gets to use the thyrsus?
3. In "The Port", who is described as coming into the port?
4. In "Already!" how many suns have set according to the narrator?
5. In "The Generous Gambler", what do the people in the sanctuary look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the man feel about clouds in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
2. How does Fancioulle work to save his life in "A Heroic Death"?
3. What happens when the artist takes in the boy in "The Rope"?
4. In "Loss of a Halo", what does the man say about losing his halo?
5. How does the woman in "Mademoiselle Bistouri" act due to her obsession with doctors?
6. What pleases the narrator in "Plans" about making plans?
7. Why is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" difficult to paint?
8. In "The Gallant Marksman", what happens after the man misses his shot?
9. Why is the man angry with the woman in "The Eyes of the Poor"?
10. What happens when land is spotted in "Already!"?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)