|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress", what bothers the narrator about the woman?
(a) Her clothes are dirty.
(b) She is poor.
(c) She whines.
(d) Her sister.
2. How is the scent of the hair in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair" described?
(a) As having a wide-range of scents.
(b) As smelling of flowers.
(c) As reeking of smoke.
(d) As not having any scent.
3. What does Baudelaire say about friends in "The Foreigner"?
(a) He only has a few.
(b) They are more important than family.
(c) He does not know the meaning.
(d) They waste time.
4. In "The Widows", why is the woman by the gate not allowed in the concert?
(a) Because she has a child.
(b) Because she is poorly dressed.
(c) Because she lacks money.
(d) Because she is late.
5. What gift does the fairy give the tradesman's child in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) The power to love.
(b) The gift of health.
(c) The gift of wealth.
(d) The power to please.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "To Arsène Houssaye", what does Baudelaire say this work lacks?
2. Where does the poet glimpse men in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair"?
3. What does the narrator ask the men in "To Each His Chimera"?
4. In "The Bad Glazier", why does the narrator's friend start a forest fire?
5. Why does the artist in "The Artist's Confiteor" decide he cannot describe nature?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator of "The Old Mountebank" feel about the mountebank?
2. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
3. In "The Artist's Confiteor", why is the artist upset?
4. In "To Each His Chimera", what do the chimeras make the narrator realize?
5. Why does the narrator threaten to throw the woman out in "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress"?
6. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
7. What makes the narrator change his mind about the setting in "Cake"?
8. What are the fairies doing in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
9. Why does Baudelaire include "To Arsène Houssaye" in this collection of poems?
10. What does the narrator see in the jester's eyes in "The Fool and Venus"?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)