|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What or whom does the narrator of "The Clock" name Feline?
(a) A Chinese neighbor.
(b) A woman.
(c) A dog.
(d) A cat.
2. How many devils visit the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame"?
3. In "To Arsène Houssaye", what does the author say reading Aloysius Bertrand made him want to do?
(a) Change his career.
(b) Copy his style.
(c) Become a journalist.
(d) Write a novel.
4. What does the dog do after smelling the perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
(a) He chases his tail.
(b) He barks.
(c) He howls.
(d) He licks the vial.
5. How does the fairy feel about the tradesman at the end of "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) She is upset with him.
(b) She is confused by him.
(c) She is in awe of him.
(d) She is frightened of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator offer food to the strange man in "Cake"?
2. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", where does the poet see "the languor of long hours"?
3. In "To Each His Chimera", how does the narrator describe the chimera on the backs of the men?
4. In "The Bad Glazier", why does the narrator suppose demons take over people?
5. Why does Baudelaire mention clouds in "The Foreigner"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Joker", what does the narrator think about while watching the man and the donkey?
2. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
3. What does the narrator see in the jester's eyes in "The Fool and Venus"?
4. What are the voices discussing in "The Foreigner"?
5. In "To Each His Chimera", what do the chimeras make the narrator realize?
6. What does Baudelaire say about the night in "Evening Twilight"?
7. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what can be seen in black hair?
8. Why does the fairy become upset with the tradesman in "The Fairies' Gift"?
9. In "The Widows", what does the narrator see when he follows the woman?
10. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)