|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Crowds", what is the poet's gift?
(a) To be one and all.
(b) To be a crowd.
(c) To be educated.
(d) To be an observer.
2. What does the strange man call "cake" in "Cake"?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) A piece of bread.
(c) A slice of pie.
(d) A cake.
3. In "The Double Room", what wakes the narrator from his dream?
(a) A woman yelling.
(b) A clap of thunder.
(c) The rising sun.
(d) A knock.
4. In "A Joker", what does the donkey do when he sees the man?
(a) The donkey bites him.
(b) The donkey goes to beg food from the man.
(c) The donkey kicks his legs.
(d) The donkey trots on.
5. How does the narrator of "The Fool and Venus" describe the day?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" turn down the ability to have everything of wealth?
2. In "The Widows", what do the poor do with their grief?
3. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what does the first demon offer the narrator?
4. What season does the poet reflect upon in "The Artist's Confiteor"?
5. What does the dog do after smelling the perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the poet say about the Chinese in "The Clock"?
2. What happens after the glazier leaves the man's room in "The Bad Glazier"?
3. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
4. In "To Each His Chimera", what do the chimeras make the narrator realize?
5. In "The Widows", what does the narrator see when he follows the woman?
6. How does the narrator of "The Toy of the Poor" say poor children are similar to rich children?
7. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
8. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what can be seen in black hair?
9. Why does Baudelaire include "To Arsène Houssaye" in this collection of poems?
10. In "The Artist's Confiteor", why is the artist upset?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)