|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who chooses the gifts the children receive in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) The fairies.
(b) The children.
(c) The children's parents.
(d) A beast.
2. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator describe about the room?
(a) The nature outside the room.
(b) The feelings he has about the room.
(c) The people inside.
(d) The physical appearance.
3. In "Crowds", what is the poet's gift?
(a) To be a crowd.
(b) To be one and all.
(c) To be an observer.
(d) To be educated.
4. What happens to the mountebank in "The Old Mountebank"?
(a) He walks into a restaurant.
(b) He starts singing loudly.
(c) He is arrested.
(d) The narrator loses sight of him.
5. What does the strange man call "cake" in "Cake"?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) A cake.
(c) A slice of pie.
(d) A piece of bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator wakes up in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", how does he feel about his interactions with the demons?
2. In "The Foreigner", what does Baudelaire say he does not know the latitude of?
3. In "The Double Room", what wakes the narrator from his dream?
4. In "At One in the Morning", what allows the narrator to relax?
5. In "The Old Woman's Despair", why does the woman visit the baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Invitation to the Voyage" want to travel?
2. In "The Old Woman's Despair", how does the old woman feel after visiting the baby?
3. What does the poet say about the Chinese in "The Clock"?
4. What happens after the glazier leaves the man's room in "The Bad Glazier"?
5. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
6. What are the voices discussing in "The Foreigner"?
7. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
8. What does the narrator say about the concert in "The Widows"?
9. What does the narrator see in the jester's eyes in "The Fool and Venus"?
10. What makes the narrator change his mind about the setting in "Cake"?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)