|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the fairies in "The Fairies' Gifts" have to work quickly?
(a) They will lose their powers if they slow down.
(b) They naturally move fast.
(c) The children they work with age quickly.
(d) They have a time limit.
2. In "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress", what does the narrator describe as being in an iron cage?
(a) All women.
(c) Faith and beauty.
(d) A hairy monster.
3. What does the poet say the first man died of "Evening Twilight"?
(c) Old age.
4. How does the poet describe the words "multitude" and "solitude" in "Crowds"?
(a) As being opposites.
(b) As being identical.
(c) As being painful.
(d) As being difficult to spell.
5. Why does the narrator feel sympathy for the man dressed as a jester in "The Fool and Venus"?
(a) Because of his occupation.
(b) Because of his unkempt hair.
(c) Because of his clothes and eyes.
(d) Because of his poor speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Old Mountebank", what does the narrator first notice about the mountebank?
2. In "To Arsène Houssaye", what does Baudelaire say this work lacks?
3. In "The Foreigner", how is beauty described?
4. What happens to the mountebank in "The Old Mountebank"?
5. In "The Old Woman's Despair", why does the woman visit the baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
2. What does Baudelaire say about the night in "Evening Twilight"?
3. Why is the man angry with the woman in "The Eyes of the Poor"?
4. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
5. How does the narrator of "The Old Mountebank" feel about the mountebank?
6. What is life like on the ship in "Already!"
7. What does the man realize at the end of "Let's Beat Up the Poor"?
8. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator dream about?
9. In "The Artist's Confiteor", why is the artist upset?
10. Why does the fairy become upset with the tradesman in "The Fairies' Gift"?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)