|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Foreigner", what emotion does Baudelaire discuss?
2. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator describe about the room?
(a) The physical appearance.
(b) The nature outside the room.
(c) The feelings he has about the room.
(d) The people inside.
3. What happens to the mountebank in "The Old Mountebank"?
(a) The narrator loses sight of him.
(b) He walks into a restaurant.
(c) He starts singing loudly.
(d) He is arrested.
4. Why does the narrator offer food to the strange man in "Cake"?
(a) Because he pays for it.
(b) Because he looks like he needs it.
(c) The strange man just takes the food.
(d) Because he says he has a child who is hungry.
5. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", where does the poet see "the languor of long hours"?
(a) In a bathtub.
(b) On a divan.
(c) In a park.
(d) On her bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress", what bothers the narrator about the woman?
2. In "Crowds", what is the poet's gift?
3. Why does Baudelaire mention clouds in "The Foreigner"?
4. In "The Foreigner", how is beauty described?
5. What or whom does the narrator of "The Clock" name Feline?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
2. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator dream about?
3. What happens after the glazier leaves the man's room in "The Bad Glazier"?
4. In "To Each His Chimera", what do the chimeras make the narrator realize?
5. What does the poet say about the Chinese in "The Clock"?
6. In "The Artist's Confiteor", why is the artist upset?
7. What does the narrator say about the concert in "The Widows"?
8. In "A Joker", what does the narrator think about while watching the man and the donkey?
9. In "The Old Woman's Despair", how does the old woman feel after visiting the baby?
10. Why does the narrator threaten to throw the woman out in "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress"?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)