|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does the fairy give the tradesman's child in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) The gift of wealth.
(b) The gift of health.
(c) The power to please.
(d) The power to love.
2. In "To Each His Chimera", how does the narrator describe the chimera on the backs of the men?
(a) That they are wings.
(b) That they are supporting the men.
(c) That they are invisible.
(d) That they are part of the men.
3. How is "The Foreigner" organized?
(a) As a series of questions.
(b) In chronological order.
(c) In alphabetical order.
(d) As a letter.
4. What does the baby boy do when he sees the old woman in "The Old Woman's Despair"?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He crawls away.
(d) He cries.
5. What does Baudelaire say about friends in "The Foreigner"?
(a) He does not know the meaning.
(b) They are more important than family.
(c) He only has a few.
(d) They waste time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the strange man call "cake" in "Cake"?
2. Of whom does the she-devil in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" remind the narrator?
3. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator describe about the room?
4. In "The Dog and The Vial", what does the narrator say the dog resembles?
5. In "At One in the Morning", what allows the narrator to relax?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the dog smells perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
2. How does the narrator of "The Toy of the Poor" say poor children are similar to rich children?
3. In "The Artist's Confiteor", why is the artist upset?
4. In "The Old Woman's Despair", how does the old woman feel after visiting the baby?
5. What are the voices discussing in "The Foreigner"?
6. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
7. Why does the narrator threaten to throw the woman out in "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress"?
8. Why does the fairy become upset with the tradesman in "The Fairies' Gift"?
9. Why does "The Foreigner" end with a comment about clouds?
10. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)