|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who chooses the gifts the children receive in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) A beast.
(b) The children.
(c) The fairies.
(d) The children's parents.
2. What does Baudelaire say about friends in "The Foreigner"?
(a) They are more important than family.
(b) He only has a few.
(c) He does not know the meaning.
(d) They waste time.
3. Why does the narrator not go to speak to the mountebank about his wares in "The Old Mountebank"?
(a) He does not have any money.
(b) He does not want to embarrass him.
(c) He starts talking to a woman.
(d) He does not like what he is selling.
4. What or whom does the narrator of "The Clock" name Feline?
(a) A woman.
(b) A Chinese neighbor.
(c) A dog.
(d) A cat.
5. How does the fairy feel about the tradesman at the end of "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) She is upset with him.
(b) She is in awe of him.
(c) She is frightened of him.
(d) She is confused by him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom does the she-devil in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" remind the narrator?
2. What happens after the strange man in "Cake" has a piece of food?
3. What happens to the mountebank in "The Old Mountebank"?
4. Why does the narrator follow the woman around all day in "The Widows"?
5. How is the scent of the hair in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair" described?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what can be seen in black hair?
2. In "To Each His Chimera", what do the chimeras make the narrator realize?
3. Why does Baudelaire include "To Arsène Houssaye" in this collection of poems?
4. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
5. How does the narrator of "The Old Mountebank" feel about the mountebank?
6. What type of person does the poet describe in "Crowds"?
7. Why does the narrator threaten to throw the woman out in "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress"?
8. What does the narrator see in the jester's eyes in "The Fool and Venus"?
9. What are some of the things the narrator is upset with in "At One in the Morning"?
10. Why does the narrator of "Invitation to the Voyage" want to travel?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)