|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the tradesman react to his child's gift in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) He wants the fairy to explain it to him.
(b) He demands a better gift.
(c) He laughs at it.
(d) He tries to pay the fairy.
2. In "To Arsène Houssaye", what does the author say reading Aloysius Bertrand made him want to do?
(a) Change his career.
(b) Copy his style.
(c) Write a novel.
(d) Become a journalist.
3. Why does the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" turn down the ability to have everything of wealth?
(a) Because he wants a better offer.
(b) Because he does not trust the demon.
(c) Because he does not enjoy making other miserable.
(d) Because he is happy with what he has.
4. Where does the narrator of "The Dog and The Vial" get the perfume?
5. In "The Clock", how do the Chinese tell time using cats?
(a) They watch their tails.
(b) They look into their eyes.
(c) They pet them.
(d) They have them stare in the sun.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator of "The Fool and Venus" describe the day?
2. In "The Double Room", what wakes the narrator from his dream?
3. In "The Old Mountebank", what does the narrator first notice about the mountebank?
4. What does the narrator of "A Joker" think of his society?
5. In "A Joker", what does the donkey do when he sees the man?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Joker", what does the narrator think about while watching the man and the donkey?
2. Why does "The Foreigner" end with a comment about clouds?
3. Why does Baudelaire include "To Arsène Houssaye" in this collection of poems?
4. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator dream about?
5. Why does the narrator of "Invitation to the Voyage" want to travel?
6. What are the fairies doing in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
7. What makes the narrator change his mind about the setting in "Cake"?
8. In "The Widows", what does the narrator see when he follows the woman?
9. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
10. What happens when the dog smells perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)