|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "At One in the Morning", what allows the narrator to relax?
2. Why does the artist in "The Artist's Confiteor" decide he cannot describe nature?
(a) Because he hates it.
(b) Because it is too great.
(c) Because he is blind.
(d) Because he has a limited vocabulary.
3. In "The Fool and Venus", what is the man dressed like a jester doing?
(a) Staring at a statue.
(b) Drawing a picture.
(c) Performing in a park.
(d) Begging for money.
4. What does the poet say the first man died of "Evening Twilight"?
(a) Old age.
5. In "The Toy of the Poor", what separates the rich child from the poor?
(a) A hedge.
(b) A gate.
(d) A set of train tracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Baudelaire use to describe clouds in "The Foreigner"?
2. In "The Foreigner", how is beauty described?
3. What does the poor child play with in "The Toy of the Poor"?
4. How does the fairy feel about the tradesman at the end of "The Fairies' Gifts"?
5. What happens to the mountebank in "The Old Mountebank"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Old Woman's Despair", how does the old woman feel after visiting the baby?
2. How does the narrator of "The Old Mountebank" feel about the mountebank?
3. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
4. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what can be seen in black hair?
5. What makes the narrator change his mind about the setting in "Cake"?
6. What happens after the glazier leaves the man's room in "The Bad Glazier"?
7. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator dream about?
8. What does the narrator see in the jester's eyes in "The Fool and Venus"?
9. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
10. What does the poet say about the Chinese in "The Clock"?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)