|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Foreigner", how is beauty described?
(a) As a goal.
(b) As a goddess.
(c) As a game.
(d) As a fool.
2. In "Crowds", what does the narrator give credit to for the people who stand out in a crowd?
(b) Good education.
3. In "The Widows", who does the narrator say visits public parks?
(a) Men who long for nature.
(b) Children who need to breathe free.
(c) People who are crippled by life.
(d) Women who can no longer think.
4. In "The Foreigner", what emotion does Baudelaire discuss?
5. What does the dog do after smelling the perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
(a) He licks the vial.
(b) He chases his tail.
(c) He barks.
(d) He howls.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "To Arsène Houssaye", what does the author say reading Aloysius Bertrand made him want to do?
2. Why does the narrator suggest people should buy toys in "The Toy of the Poor"?
3. What does the strange man call "cake" in "Cake"?
4. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator describe about the room?
5. Where does the poet glimpse men in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator of "The Old Mountebank" feel about the mountebank?
2. What does Baudelaire say about the night in "Evening Twilight"?
3. Why does the narrator of "Invitation to the Voyage" want to travel?
4. What happens when the dog smells perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
5. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what is the narrator tempted with?
6. Why does the fairy become upset with the tradesman in "The Fairies' Gift"?
7. What does the narrator say about the concert in "The Widows"?
8. What does the poet say about the Chinese in "The Clock"?
9. What is the "Introduction" to this collection of poems?
10. What happens after the glazier leaves the man's room in "The Bad Glazier"?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)