|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the baby boy do when he sees the old woman in "The Old Woman's Despair"?
(a) He crawls away.
(b) He cries.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He falls asleep.
2. When the narrator wakes up in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", how does he feel about his interactions with the demons?
(a) He regrets his decisions.
(b) He cannot remember the demons.
(c) He is proud for being so moral.
(d) He thinks it was just a joke.
3. Why do the fairies in "The Fairies' Gifts" have to work quickly?
(a) They will lose their powers if they slow down.
(b) The children they work with age quickly.
(c) They naturally move fast.
(d) They have a time limit.
4. Why does the narrator not go to speak to the mountebank about his wares in "The Old Mountebank"?
(a) He does not have any money.
(b) He starts talking to a woman.
(c) He does not like what he is selling.
(d) He does not want to embarrass him.
5. What does the strange man call "cake" in "Cake"?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) A piece of bread.
(c) A cake.
(d) A slice of pie.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the narrator wakes up in "The Double Room", what does he realize he must do?
2. What does the narrator of "A Joker" think of his society?
3. Why does Baudelaire mention clouds in "The Foreigner"?
4. In "The Double Room", what wakes the narrator from his dream?
5. In "The Foreigner", how is beauty described?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Widows", what does the narrator see when he follows the woman?
2. What makes the narrator pity the man in "The Fool and Venus"?
3. What are some of the things the narrator is upset with in "At One in the Morning"?
4. Why does the narrator of "Invitation to the Voyage" want to travel?
5. What are the fairies doing in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
6. What makes the narrator change his mind about the setting in "Cake"?
7. How does the narrator of "The Toy of the Poor" say poor children are similar to rich children?
8. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator dream about?
9. How does the narrator of "The Old Mountebank" feel about the mountebank?
10. Why does the fairy become upset with the tradesman in "The Fairies' Gift"?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)