|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the men in "Portraits of Mistresses"?
(a) A gambling house.
(b) An inn.
(c) A pub.
(d) Someone's parlor.
2. What do the passengers on the ship in "Already!" talk about?
(a) The sea.
3. In "Already!" how many suns have set according to the narrator?
(a) Five hundred.
(c) One hundred.
(d) One thousand.
4. What does the poet say lurks at night in "The Desire to Paint"?
(b) The unknown.
5. What does the man's wife do in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
(a) She eats leftover soup.
(b) She goes for a walk.
(c) She watches the clouds with him.
(d) She makes dinner.
6. What do most of the passengers on the boat in "Already!" say when they see land?
(a) It's true.
7. In "The Eyes of the Poor", how many children does the narrator say the poor man had with him?
8. In "Counterfeit Money", what does the man call his friend's stupidity?
9. How does the boy in "The Rope" die?
(a) A car accident.
(b) He kills himself.
(c) He drowns.
10. In "Beautiful Dorothy", why is Dorothy saving money?
(a) To buy back her sister.
(b) To attract a husband.
(c) To move to Paris.
(d) To go on vacation.
11. What season is it in "Vocations"?
12. In "The Port", who is described as leaving the port?
(a) The troubled.
(b) The young.
(c) The weary.
(d) The adventurous.
13. In "The Soup and the Clouds", how does the man's wife break his daydream?
(a) She calls for him.
(b) She hits him.
(c) She falls asleep.
(d) She gives him soup.
14. How does the man lose his halo in "Loss of a Halo"?
(a) He never had one.
(b) He sold it.
(c) During a fight.
(d) From running across the street.
15. How does Baudelaire make the legend in "Windows"?
(a) From taking frequent naps.
(b) From peering into his neighbors' windows.
(c) From writing about the old woman.
(d) From watching the old woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Mademoiselle Bistouri" ask the woman questions?
2. How does Baudelaire say he feels about solitude in "Solitude"?
3. How is Fancioulle's moment of death described by the poet in "A Heroic Death"?
4. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman ask the man?
5. In "Already!" what does the narrator see in the sea?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)