|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman ask the man?
(a) If they have met before.
(b) If he can give her directions.
(c) If he knows the time.
(d) If he is a doctor.
2. In "The Port", who is described as leaving the port?
(a) The weary.
(b) The young.
(c) The troubled.
(d) The adventurous.
3. In "Portraits of Mistresses", what does the one man say happens when someone decides to take a mistress?
(a) They pass through stages.
(b) They lose their mind.
(c) They are enlightened.
(d) They go broke.
4. When Dorothy goes to the shore in "Beautiful Dorothy", what does the narrator wonder?
(a) If she is going swimming.
(b) If she is lonely.
(c) If she is wasting time.
(d) If she is meeting someone.
5. In "The Generous Gambler", what do the people in the sanctuary look like?
6. How does the second beautiful woman in "Which is the Real One?" feel when she sees the narrator?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She is frightened.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is angry.
7. What does the Moon leave with the child in "The Favors of the Moon"?
(b) Special powers.
(c) A blessing.
8. What is the Devil afraid of in "The Generous Gambler"?
(a) Stepping out in the daylight.
(b) Being found out.
(c) Losing his power.
(d) Learning to love.
9. How does the boy in "The Rope" die?
(b) A car accident.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He kills himself.
10. In "The Generous Gambler", what does the narrator lose to the man?
(a) A horse.
(b) Half his money.
(c) The keys to his house.
(d) His soul.
11. What makes the man in "Plans" think about a cabin?
(a) His mother.
(b) A painting.
(c) A forest.
(d) A river.
12. In "The Eyes of the Poor", what does the narrator first say to the woman?
(a) That she is not beautiful any longer.
(b) That she is late.
(c) That he will not yell at her.
(d) That he hates her.
13. How is Fancioulle's moment of death described by the poet in "A Heroic Death"?
(a) As his greatest moment.
(b) As a mistake.
(c) As a passing moment.
(d) As a dark time.
14. How does the narrator know the man he meets in "The Generous Gambler"?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They live in the same building.
(c) They went to school together.
(d) He has always wanted to meet him.
15. In "Which is the Real One?", what does the first beautiful woman's casket look like?
(a) A couch.
(b) A basket.
(c) A shiny dome.
(d) A treasure chest.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the man in "Counterfeit Money" learn that his friend has counterfeit coins?
2. Why does the artist in "The Rope" want to paint the child so frequently?
3. In "A Heroic Death", why does the Prince want to save Fancioulle's life?
4. In "The Rope", when are illusion and reality described as being the same?
5. Who begins sending the artist letters after the child's death in "The Rope"?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)