|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the men in "Portraits of Mistresses"?
(a) An inn.
(b) A gambling house.
(c) A pub.
(d) Someone's parlor.
2. Why does the narrator of "The Mirror" question the man looking into a mirror?
(a) Because it is raining and he is outside.
(b) Because the mirror is not his.
(c) Because he is ugly.
(d) Because he is not smiling at himself.
3. What is the woman's mouth compared to in "The Desire to Paint"?
(a) A flower.
(b) A star.
(c) A cake.
(d) A cloud.
4. What is the Devil afraid of in "The Generous Gambler"?
(a) Being found out.
(b) Learning to love.
(c) Stepping out in the daylight.
(d) Losing his power.
5. What does the narrator of "The Generous Gambler" do after the Devil promises him many things?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He asks to go with the Devil.
(c) He wakes up.
(d) He prays to God.
6. How does the one gentleman in "Portraits of Mistresses" say he feels about finding flaws with mistresses?
(a) Angry, because they are nice women.
(b) Entertained, because they are funny flaws.
(c) Confused, because he has not had a mistress.
(d) Jealous, because he wants to be able to.
7. How does the narrator of "Which is the Real One?" sink into the ground?
(a) He is shoved down.
(b) He dives into a pond but does not surface.
(c) He stamps his foot.
(d) He falls in a hole.
8. How does Baudelaire describe the thyrsus in "The Thyrsus"?
(b) A plaything.
(c) Beautifully sad.
9. In "Already!" how many suns have set according to the narrator?
(a) One hundred.
(b) Five hundred.
(c) One thousand.
10. According to the poet in "The Thyrsus", who gets to use the thyrsus?
11. What do the passengers on the ship in "Already!" talk about?
(a) The sea.
12. What does the poet say lurks at night in "The Desire to Paint"?
(c) The unknown.
13. Why is the narrator of "The Firing Range and the Graveyard" criticized?
(a) For being talkative.
(b) For being ambitious.
(c) For being drunk.
(d) For being nosey.
14. How does the narrator know the man he meets in "The Generous Gambler"?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) He has always wanted to meet him.
(c) They live in the same building.
(d) They went to school together.
15. In "Portraits of Mistresses", what does the Prince's bastard child often say?
(a) Where she plans to travel.
(b) Why she is right about everything.
(c) How she would spend her money if she had any.
(d) What would be different if she were a man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of the Moon's actions in "The Favors of the Moon", what happens to the child's skin?
2. In "A Heroic Death", what job does Fancioulle have?
3. In "The Gallant Marksman", what does the man attribute his shooting skills to?
4. In "Which is the Real One?", why are the first beautiful woman's eyes wide?
5. In "Get Yourself Drunk", what does Baudelaire say slavery is?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)