|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the man's wife in "The Gallant Marksman" react to his shooting?
(a) She will not watch.
(b) She criticizes his technique.
(c) She claps.
(d) She laughs.
2. What type of moon is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" compared to?
(a) New moon.
(b) Waxing moon.
(c) Full moon.
(d) Waning moon.
3. What does the poet say lurks at night in "The Desire to Paint"?
(c) The unknown.
4. What do the passengers on the ship in "Already!" talk about?
(a) The sea.
5. In "The Soup and the Clouds", how does the man's wife break his daydream?
(a) She gives him soup.
(b) She hits him.
(c) She falls asleep.
(d) She calls for him.
6. What does Baudelaire say happens when he watches the poor old woman in "Windows"?
(a) She catches him watching her.
(b) It inspires him to write.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) Sometimes he cries.
7. Why does the first beautiful woman die young in "Which is the Real One?"
(a) Because she was beaten.
(b) Because of her beauty.
(c) Because of an illness.
(d) Because of an accident.
8. In "Loss of a Halo", who is imagined to have picked up a halo?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A thief.
(d) A poet.
9. In "The Generous Gambler", what do the people in the sanctuary look like?
10. In "The Eyes of the Poor", what does the narrator first say to the woman?
(a) That he hates her.
(b) That she is late.
(c) That she is not beautiful any longer.
(d) That he will not yell at her.
11. How does Baudelaire describe the thyrsus in "The Thyrsus"?
(c) A plaything.
(d) Beautifully sad.
12. What is the woman's mouth compared to in "The Desire to Paint"?
(a) A cloud.
(b) A flower.
(c) A cake.
(d) A star.
13. In "Beautiful Dorothy", why is Dorothy saving money?
(a) To attract a husband.
(b) To buy back her sister.
(c) To move to Paris.
(d) To go on vacation.
14. In "The Generous Gambler", what does the narrator lose to the man?
(a) The keys to his house.
(b) A horse.
(c) His soul.
(d) Half his money.
15. Where do the men leave in the beginning of "Counterfeit Money"?
(a) An inn.
(b) A tobacco shop.
(c) A church.
(d) A town hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the boy in "The Rope" die?
2. How is Fancioulle's moment of death described by the poet in "A Heroic Death"?
3. In "Which is the Real One?", what does the first beautiful woman's casket look like?
4. In "Solitude", what does the journalist ask the poet about sharing?
5. What does the man stop doing in "The Gallant Marksman" in order to practice shooting?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)