|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Fancioulle's moment of death described by the poet in "A Heroic Death"?
(a) As a mistake.
(b) As a dark time.
(c) As a passing moment.
(d) As his greatest moment.
2. How does Baudelaire make the legend in "Windows"?
(a) From peering into his neighbors' windows.
(b) From taking frequent naps.
(c) From watching the old woman.
(d) From writing about the old woman.
3. What does the narrator hear in the graveyard in "The Firing Range and the Graveyard"?
(a) Crying and singing.
(b) Breaking glass and gun shots.
(c) Voices and gun shots.
(d) Cries and breaking glass.
4. How does Baudelaire describe the thyrsus in "The Thyrsus"?
(c) A plaything.
(d) Beautifully sad.
5. Where do the men leave in the beginning of "Counterfeit Money"?
(a) A town hall.
(b) An inn.
(c) A church.
(d) A tobacco shop.
6. What does Baudelaire say happens when he watches the poor old woman in "Windows"?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) It inspires him to write.
(c) Sometimes he cries.
(d) She catches him watching her.
7. Where does the man walk in "Plans"?
(a) Through a small village.
(b) In a park.
(c) In a city.
(d) Over a bridge.
8. In "Which is the Real One?", why are the first beautiful woman's eyes wide?
(a) Because she is full of want.
(b) Because she is afraid.
(c) Because she has seen little in the world.
(d) Because she is honest.
9. What does the narrator of "The Generous Gambler" do after the Devil promises him many things?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He wakes up.
(c) He prays to God.
(d) He asks to go with the Devil.
10. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman ask the man?
(a) If he knows the time.
(b) If they have met before.
(c) If he can give her directions.
(d) If he is a doctor.
11. How does the narrator of "Which is the Real One?" sink into the ground?
(a) He dives into a pond but does not surface.
(b) He is shoved down.
(c) He falls in a hole.
(d) He stamps his foot.
12. What makes the man in "Plans" think about a cabin?
(a) A river.
(b) A forest.
(c) His mother.
(d) A painting.
13. In "Beautiful Dorothy", why is Dorothy saving money?
(a) To move to Paris.
(b) To go on vacation.
(c) To attract a husband.
(d) To buy back her sister.
14. What do most of the passengers on the boat in "Already!" say when they see land?
(c) It's true.
15. What happens when the man shoots in "The Gallant Marksman"?
(a) All his shots go wild.
(b) He hits the target every time.
(c) He hits the target half of the time.
(d) He is too afraid to shoot.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Heroic Death", why does the Prince want to save Fancioulle's life?
2. How does the man in "Counterfeit Money" learn that his friend has counterfeit coins?
3. In "The Soup and the Clouds", what does the man call his wife?
4. How is the woman as a painting subject described in "The Desire to Paint"?
5. What does the poet say lurks at night in "The Desire to Paint"?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)