|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman ask the man?
(a) If he can give her directions.
(b) If they have met before.
(c) If he is a doctor.
(d) If he knows the time.
2. In "Windows", what type of window does the poet say is most interesting to look in?
(a) One lit by a candle.
(b) An open window.
(c) A partially covered window.
(d) A closed window during the daytime.
3. What does the narrator of "The Generous Gambler" do after the Devil promises him many things?
(a) He asks to go with the Devil.
(b) He wakes up.
(c) He prays to God.
(d) He laughs.
4. What does the man stop doing in "The Gallant Marksman" in order to practice shooting?
5. What part of the child does the Moon touch in "The Favors of the Moon"?
(a) Her back.
(b) Her hands.
(c) Her face.
(d) Her feet.
6. In "The Thyrsus", what does the poet say covers the thyrsus?
7. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", to whom does the narrator think the tavern is in homage?
8. In "The Gallant Marksman", what does the man attribute his shooting skills to?
(a) His mind.
(b) His steady hand.
(c) His parents.
(d) His wife.
9. Who begins sending the artist letters after the child's death in "The Rope"?
(a) Art dealers.
(b) The child's parents.
(c) The artist's parents.
10. In "The Port", who is described as coming into the port?
(a) The excited.
(b) The mysterious.
(c) The tired.
(d) The old.
11. In "Windows", how does Baudelaire say he feels about the legend?
(a) As if he has suffered for it.
(b) As if it teaches him daily.
(c) As if it saves his life.
(d) As if it is not true at all.
12. In "Portraits of Mistresses", why does the man with the mistress who is willing to please break up with her?
(a) Because he found a new mistress.
(b) She broke up with him.
(c) Because she was getting too old.
(d) Because she found no pleasure for herself.
13. In "Vocations", what makes the boy who says he is not very happy excited?
(a) Receiving a small gift.
(b) Having best friends.
(c) Remembering men from the fair.
(d) Getting to move to another town.
14. According to the poet in "The Thyrsus", who gets to use the thyrsus?
15. What does Baudelaire say happens when he watches the poor old woman in "Windows"?
(a) It inspires him to write.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) Sometimes he cries.
(d) She catches him watching her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poet say is negative in the Moon's interactions with children in "The Favors of the Moon"?
2. How does the man lose his halo in "Loss of a Halo"?
3. In "A Heroic Death", why does the Prince want to save Fancioulle's life?
4. How is the woman as a painting subject described in "The Desire to Paint"?
5. In "Which is the Real One?", what does the first beautiful woman's casket look like?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)