|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Get Yourself Drunk", what does Baudelaire say slavery is?
2. In "Vocations", what makes the boy who says he is not very happy excited?
(a) Receiving a small gift.
(b) Getting to move to another town.
(c) Having best friends.
(d) Remembering men from the fair.
3. In "The Soup and the Clouds", how does the man's wife break his daydream?
(a) She hits him.
(b) She gives him soup.
(c) She calls for him.
(d) She falls asleep.
4. How is Fancioulle's moment of death described by the poet in "A Heroic Death"?
(a) As a dark time.
(b) As a passing moment.
(c) As his greatest moment.
(d) As a mistake.
5. In "Windows", how does Baudelaire say he feels about the legend?
(a) As if he has suffered for it.
(b) As if it is not true at all.
(c) As if it saves his life.
(d) As if it teaches him daily.
6. How is the woman as a painting subject described in "The Desire to Paint"?
(a) A large void.
(b) A sleeping bear.
(c) A black star.
(d) A troubled face.
7. How does the man lose his halo in "Loss of a Halo"?
(a) He never had one.
(b) From running across the street.
(c) During a fight.
(d) He sold it.
8. In "Portraits of Mistresses", how many men sit around talking?
9. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman ask the man?
(a) If they have met before.
(b) If he can give her directions.
(c) If he knows the time.
(d) If he is a doctor.
10. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", to whom does the narrator think the tavern is in homage?
11. In "The Eyes of the Poor", how many children does the narrator say the poor man had with him?
12. Where does the man walk in "Plans"?
(a) Through a small village.
(b) Over a bridge.
(c) In a city.
(d) In a park.
13. How is the thoroughbred described in "A Thoroughbred"?
14. In "Already!" how many suns have set according to the narrator?
(a) Five hundred.
(c) One hundred.
(d) One thousand.
15. Why does the artist in "The Rope" want to paint the child so frequently?
(a) He is in love with the child's aunt.
(b) He is taken by the child's face.
(c) He misses his own childhood.
(d) The child will pose for free.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman have hanging on her walls?
2. Why does the narrator of "Mademoiselle Bistouri" ask the woman questions?
3. What does Baudelaire say happens when he watches the poor old woman in "Windows"?
4. Why does the first beautiful woman die young in "Which is the Real One?"
5. What does the poet say lurks at night in "The Desire to Paint"?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)