|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator of "Which is the Real One?" sink into the ground?
(a) He dives into a pond but does not surface.
(b) He is shoved down.
(c) He falls in a hole.
(d) He stamps his foot.
2. In "Vocations", what makes the boy who says he is not very happy excited?
(a) Receiving a small gift.
(b) Remembering men from the fair.
(c) Having best friends.
(d) Getting to move to another town.
3. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman have hanging on her walls?
4. How does the boy in "The Rope" die?
(a) A car accident.
(b) He drowns.
(d) He kills himself.
5. What does the man's wife do in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
(a) She eats leftover soup.
(b) She makes dinner.
(c) She goes for a walk.
(d) She watches the clouds with him.
6. Why does the artist in "The Rope" want to paint the child so frequently?
(a) He is in love with the child's aunt.
(b) The child will pose for free.
(c) He is taken by the child's face.
(d) He misses his own childhood.
7. Why does the narrator of "Mademoiselle Bistouri" ask the woman questions?
(a) To make her feel better.
(b) To seem interested in her.
(c) To kill time.
(d) To understand her obsession.
8. What makes the man in "Plans" think about a cabin?
(a) A forest.
(b) His mother.
(c) A river.
(d) A painting.
9. What does the narrator of "The Generous Gambler" do after the Devil promises him many things?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He prays to God.
(c) He asks to go with the Devil.
(d) He wakes up.
10. How does Baudelaire describe the thyrsus in "The Thyrsus"?
(c) Beautifully sad.
(d) A plaything.
11. How does Baudelaire make the legend in "Windows"?
(a) From writing about the old woman.
(b) From peering into his neighbors' windows.
(c) From taking frequent naps.
(d) From watching the old woman.
12. Where do the men leave in the beginning of "Counterfeit Money"?
(a) A town hall.
(b) A tobacco shop.
(c) A church.
(d) An inn.
13. How is the thoroughbred described in "A Thoroughbred"?
14. What does the narrator hear in the graveyard in "The Firing Range and the Graveyard"?
(a) Voices and gun shots.
(b) Cries and breaking glass.
(c) Crying and singing.
(d) Breaking glass and gun shots.
15. What type of moon is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" compared to?
(a) New moon.
(b) Waning moon.
(c) Waxing moon.
(d) Full moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator of "The Eyes of the Poor" remember the woman doing when she saw the poor man?
2. In "Portraits of Mistresses", what does the one man say happens when someone decides to take a mistress?
3. In "The Thyrsus", what does the poet say covers the thyrsus?
4. What does the man stop doing in "The Gallant Marksman" in order to practice shooting?
5. In "Already!" what does the narrator see in the sea?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)