|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Thoroughbred", how does the thoroughbred learn her lessons?
(a) From reality.
(b) From the stars.
(c) From no one.
(d) From a man.
2. In "The Gallant Marksman", what does the man attribute his shooting skills to?
(a) His parents.
(b) His steady hand.
(c) His mind.
(d) His wife.
3. In "The Generous Gambler", what do the people in the sanctuary look like?
4. In "Which is the Real One?", what does the first beautiful woman's casket look like?
(a) A basket.
(b) A shiny dome.
(c) A couch.
(d) A treasure chest.
5. Where are the men in "Portraits of Mistresses"?
(a) Someone's parlor.
(b) A pub.
(c) An inn.
(d) A gambling house.
6. What do most of the passengers on the boat in "Already!" say when they see land?
(c) It's true.
7. In "Solitude", what does the journalist ask the poet about sharing?
(a) If he can define the word.
(b) If he feels the need to share joy.
(c) If solitude protects him from sharing.
(d) If he shares his money with the needy.
8. How is the thoroughbred described in "A Thoroughbred"?
9. In "The Port", who is described as coming into the port?
(a) The old.
(b) The mysterious.
(c) The excited.
(d) The tired.
10. How does Baudelaire describe the thyrsus in "The Thyrsus"?
(a) A plaything.
(d) Beautifully sad.
11. What does the man's wife do in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
(a) She goes for a walk.
(b) She makes dinner.
(c) She watches the clouds with him.
(d) She eats leftover soup.
12. In "Which is the Real One?", why are the first beautiful woman's eyes wide?
(a) Because she has seen little in the world.
(b) Because she is full of want.
(c) Because she is honest.
(d) Because she is afraid.
13. In "Counterfeit Money", what does the man call his friend's stupidity?
14. In "Beautiful Dorothy", why is Dorothy saving money?
(a) To move to Paris.
(b) To go on vacation.
(c) To attract a husband.
(d) To buy back her sister.
15. What does the poet say about being drunk in "Get Yourself Drunk"?
(a) People need to help others get drunk.
(b) People should always be drunk.
(c) People should avoid drinking.
(d) Drinking should be reserved for the wealthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Soup and the Clouds", how does the man's wife break his daydream?
2. What is the Devil afraid of in "The Generous Gambler"?
3. In "Beautiful Dorothy", what are the other people doing while Dorothy goes to the shore?
4. What does the poet say is negative in the Moon's interactions with children in "The Favors of the Moon"?
5. How does the narrator of "Which is the Real One?" sink into the ground?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)