|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator of "Which is the Real One?" sink into the ground?
(a) He dives into a pond but does not surface.
(b) He stamps his foot.
(c) He is shoved down.
(d) He falls in a hole.
2. What happens when the man shoots in "The Gallant Marksman"?
(a) All his shots go wild.
(b) He is too afraid to shoot.
(c) He hits the target half of the time.
(d) He hits the target every time.
3. How does Baudelaire make the legend in "Windows"?
(a) From peering into his neighbors' windows.
(b) From watching the old woman.
(c) From taking frequent naps.
(d) From writing about the old woman.
4. When Dorothy goes to the shore in "Beautiful Dorothy", what does the narrator wonder?
(a) If she is meeting someone.
(b) If she is wasting time.
(c) If she is going swimming.
(d) If she is lonely.
5. In "Windows", how does Baudelaire say he feels about the legend?
(a) As if it teaches him daily.
(b) As if he has suffered for it.
(c) As if it saves his life.
(d) As if it is not true at all.
6. According to the poet in "The Thyrsus", who gets to use the thyrsus?
7. What type of moon is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" compared to?
(a) Waning moon.
(b) Waxing moon.
(c) Full moon.
(d) New moon.
8. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman ask the man?
(a) If he can give her directions.
(b) If they have met before.
(c) If he knows the time.
(d) If he is a doctor.
9. Where does the man walk in "Plans"?
(a) In a park.
(b) Through a small village.
(c) Over a bridge.
(d) In a city.
10. What does Baudelaire say happens when he watches the poor old woman in "Windows"?
(a) It inspires him to write.
(b) She catches him watching her.
(c) Sometimes he cries.
(d) He falls asleep.
11. In "The Eyes of the Poor", how many children does the narrator say the poor man had with him?
12. In "Vocations", what makes the boy who says he is not very happy excited?
(a) Having best friends.
(b) Remembering men from the fair.
(c) Receiving a small gift.
(d) Getting to move to another town.
13. In "The Generous Gambler", what does the narrator lose to the man?
(a) His soul.
(b) A horse.
(c) Half his money.
(d) The keys to his house.
14. In "Solitude", what does the journalist ask the poet about sharing?
(a) If solitude protects him from sharing.
(b) If he feels the need to share joy.
(c) If he shares his money with the needy.
(d) If he can define the word.
15. At the end of "Plans", what does the man say about planning?
(a) It is difficult work.
(b) It is funny.
(c) It is a joy.
(d) It is not for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Loss of a Halo", who is imagined to have picked up a halo?
2. How does the man's wife in "The Gallant Marksman" react to his shooting?
3. In "The Eyes of the Poor", what does the narrator first say to the woman?
4. In "The Soup and the Clouds", what does the man call his wife?
5. What does the man stop doing in "The Gallant Marksman" in order to practice shooting?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)