|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the poet in "The Thyrsus", who gets to use the thyrsus?
2. In "Portraits of Mistresses", what does the one man say happens when someone decides to take a mistress?
(a) They lose their mind.
(b) They pass through stages.
(c) They go broke.
(d) They are enlightened.
3. In "Windows", what type of window does the poet say is most interesting to look in?
(a) A partially covered window.
(b) A closed window during the daytime.
(c) An open window.
(d) One lit by a candle.
4. In "Portraits of Mistresses", what does the Prince's bastard child often say?
(a) Where she plans to travel.
(b) What would be different if she were a man.
(c) Why she is right about everything.
(d) How she would spend her money if she had any.
5. How does Baudelaire make the legend in "Windows"?
(a) From watching the old woman.
(b) From peering into his neighbors' windows.
(c) From writing about the old woman.
(d) From taking frequent naps.
6. What does the poet say about being drunk in "Get Yourself Drunk"?
(a) Drinking should be reserved for the wealthy.
(b) People need to help others get drunk.
(c) People should always be drunk.
(d) People should avoid drinking.
7. What season is it in "Vocations"?
8. In "Beautiful Dorothy", why is Dorothy saving money?
(a) To buy back her sister.
(b) To go on vacation.
(c) To attract a husband.
(d) To move to Paris.
9. In "Which is the Real One?", why are the first beautiful woman's eyes wide?
(a) Because she is honest.
(b) Because she is afraid.
(c) Because she is full of want.
(d) Because she has seen little in the world.
10. Why is Fancioulle's lord in "A Heroic Death" sentenced to death?
(a) For hurting a woman.
(b) For printing books.
(c) For robbing the king.
(d) For staging a rebellion.
11. What type of moon is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" compared to?
(a) New moon.
(b) Waning moon.
(c) Full moon.
(d) Waxing moon.
12. In "Solitude", what does the journalist ask the poet about sharing?
(a) If he can define the word.
(b) If he shares his money with the needy.
(c) If he feels the need to share joy.
(d) If solitude protects him from sharing.
13. In "The Soup and the Clouds", how does the man's wife break his daydream?
(a) She hits him.
(b) She gives him soup.
(c) She calls for him.
(d) She falls asleep.
14. In "Windows", how does Baudelaire say he feels about the legend?
(a) As if he has suffered for it.
(b) As if it teaches him daily.
(c) As if it is not true at all.
(d) As if it saves his life.
15. In "The Eyes of the Poor", how many children does the narrator say the poor man had with him?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the man lose his halo in "Loss of a Halo"?
2. In "Portraits of Mistresses", how many men sit around talking?
3. In "Which is the Real One?", what does the first beautiful woman's casket look like?
4. How is the woman as a painting subject described in "The Desire to Paint"?
5. In "A Heroic Death", why does the Prince want to save Fancioulle's life?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)