|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Windows", how does Baudelaire say he feels about the legend?
(a) As if it saves his life.
(b) As if it teaches him daily.
(c) As if he has suffered for it.
(d) As if it is not true at all.
2. What does the narrator of "The Eyes of the Poor" remember the woman doing when she saw the poor man?
(a) She turned her back to them.
(b) She threw a coin at them.
(c) She had a waiter make them leave.
(d) She gave the small child a toy.
3. In "Which is the Real One?", what does the first beautiful woman's casket look like?
(a) A couch.
(b) A basket.
(c) A shiny dome.
(d) A treasure chest.
4. In "Windows", what type of window does the poet say is most interesting to look in?
(a) A closed window during the daytime.
(b) A partially covered window.
(c) One lit by a candle.
(d) An open window.
5. In "Portraits of Mistresses", what does the one man say happens when someone decides to take a mistress?
(a) They pass through stages.
(b) They are enlightened.
(c) They go broke.
(d) They lose their mind.
6. How is the thoroughbred described in "A Thoroughbred"?
7. In "The Generous Gambler", what do the people in the sanctuary look like?
8. In "Beautiful Dorothy", why is Dorothy saving money?
(a) To attract a husband.
(b) To move to Paris.
(c) To go on vacation.
(d) To buy back her sister.
9. In "Get Yourself Drunk", what does Baudelaire say slavery is?
10. How is Fancioulle's moment of death described by the poet in "A Heroic Death"?
(a) As his greatest moment.
(b) As a dark time.
(c) As a passing moment.
(d) As a mistake.
11. What is the woman's mouth compared to in "The Desire to Paint"?
(a) A star.
(b) A cloud.
(c) A cake.
(d) A flower.
12. What does the narrator of "The Generous Gambler" do after the Devil promises him many things?
(a) He wakes up.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He asks to go with the Devil.
(d) He prays to God.
13. In "The Eyes of the Poor", how many children does the narrator say the poor man had with him?
14. What does the man stop doing in "The Gallant Marksman" in order to practice shooting?
15. In "A Thoroughbred", how does the thoroughbred learn her lessons?
(a) From reality.
(b) From a man.
(c) From the stars.
(d) From no one.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman ask the man?
2. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", to whom does the narrator think the tavern is in homage?
3. How does the man in "Counterfeit Money" learn that his friend has counterfeit coins?
4. How does the narrator know the man he meets in "The Generous Gambler"?
5. What does the poet say lurks at night in "The Desire to Paint"?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)