|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many boys meet to talk in "Vocations"?
2. In "Already!" how many suns have set according to the narrator?
(a) One thousand.
(b) One hundred.
(c) Five hundred.
3. What does the poet say about being drunk in "Get Yourself Drunk"?
(a) Drinking should be reserved for the wealthy.
(b) People should always be drunk.
(c) People need to help others get drunk.
(d) People should avoid drinking.
4. What does the narrator hear in the graveyard in "The Firing Range and the Graveyard"?
(a) Breaking glass and gun shots.
(b) Voices and gun shots.
(c) Crying and singing.
(d) Cries and breaking glass.
5. What does the narrator of "The Generous Gambler" do after the Devil promises him many things?
(a) He wakes up.
(b) He prays to God.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He asks to go with the Devil.
6. In "The Port", who is described as coming into the port?
(a) The mysterious.
(b) The tired.
(c) The old.
(d) The excited.
7. Why does the artist in "The Rope" want to paint the child so frequently?
(a) He is taken by the child's face.
(b) He is in love with the child's aunt.
(c) The child will pose for free.
(d) He misses his own childhood.
8. In "The Port", who is described as leaving the port?
(a) The troubled.
(b) The adventurous.
(c) The weary.
(d) The young.
9. In "A Thoroughbred", how does the thoroughbred learn her lessons?
(a) From a man.
(b) From reality.
(c) From the stars.
(d) From no one.
10. What is the Devil afraid of in "The Generous Gambler"?
(a) Being found out.
(b) Learning to love.
(c) Losing his power.
(d) Stepping out in the daylight.
11. Why does the first beautiful woman die young in "Which is the Real One?"
(a) Because of her beauty.
(b) Because of an accident.
(c) Because of an illness.
(d) Because she was beaten.
12. What is the woman's mouth compared to in "The Desire to Paint"?
(a) A flower.
(b) A star.
(c) A cloud.
(d) A cake.
13. Why does the narrator of "The Mirror" question the man looking into a mirror?
(a) Because the mirror is not his.
(b) Because he is ugly.
(c) Because it is raining and he is outside.
(d) Because he is not smiling at himself.
14. How does Baudelaire describe the thyrsus in "The Thyrsus"?
(a) Beautifully sad.
(d) A plaything.
15. In "The Eyes of the Poor", how many children does the narrator say the poor man had with him?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", to whom does the narrator think the tavern is in homage?
2. In "Loss of a Halo", who is imagined to have picked up a halo?
3. In "Solitude", what does the journalist ask the poet about sharing?
4. How is the thoroughbred described in "A Thoroughbred"?
5. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman ask the man?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)