|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Already!" what does the narrator see in the sea?
(d) New life.
2. What happens when the man shoots in "The Gallant Marksman"?
(a) He is too afraid to shoot.
(b) He hits the target every time.
(c) He hits the target half of the time.
(d) All his shots go wild.
3. In "The Gallant Marksman", what does the man attribute his shooting skills to?
(a) His wife.
(b) His parents.
(c) His steady hand.
(d) His mind.
4. In "A Thoroughbred", how does the thoroughbred learn her lessons?
(a) From the stars.
(b) From reality.
(c) From no one.
(d) From a man.
5. In "The Soup and the Clouds", what does the man call his wife?
(a) Little fool.
(b) Little maniac.
(c) Little magician.
(d) Little wonder.
6. In "Get Yourself Drunk", what does Baudelaire say slavery is?
7. What does the narrator hear in the graveyard in "The Firing Range and the Graveyard"?
(a) Voices and gun shots.
(b) Cries and breaking glass.
(c) Breaking glass and gun shots.
(d) Crying and singing.
8. In "Loss of a Halo", who is imagined to have picked up a halo?
(a) A thief.
(b) A poet.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A police officer.
9. How does the narrator know the man he meets in "The Generous Gambler"?
(a) They went to school together.
(b) He has always wanted to meet him.
(c) They live in the same building.
(d) They are cousins.
10. How does the one gentleman in "Portraits of Mistresses" say he feels about finding flaws with mistresses?
(a) Confused, because he has not had a mistress.
(b) Entertained, because they are funny flaws.
(c) Angry, because they are nice women.
(d) Jealous, because he wants to be able to.
11. What does the man stop doing in "The Gallant Marksman" in order to practice shooting?
12. In "Already!" how many suns have set according to the narrator?
(a) One hundred.
(b) Five hundred.
(d) One thousand.
13. What season is it in "Vocations"?
14. What does the poet say is negative in the Moon's interactions with children in "The Favors of the Moon"?
(a) It causes ill health.
(b) It breaks the laws of science.
(c) It is unfair to others.
(d) It creates lunatics.
15. In "Portraits of Mistresses", what does the Prince's bastard child often say?
(a) How she would spend her money if she had any.
(b) Where she plans to travel.
(c) What would be different if she were a man.
(d) Why she is right about everything.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the poet in "The Thyrsus", who gets to use the thyrsus?
2. In "Solitude", how does the journalist back up his statement that solitude is bad for men?
3. What does Baudelaire say happens when he watches the poor old woman in "Windows"?
4. How does the second beautiful woman in "Which is the Real One?" feel when she sees the narrator?
5. In "Vocations", what makes the boy who says he is not very happy excited?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)