|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the one gentleman in "Portraits of Mistresses" say he feels about finding flaws with mistresses?
(a) Entertained, because they are funny flaws.
(b) Angry, because they are nice women.
(c) Jealous, because he wants to be able to.
(d) Confused, because he has not had a mistress.
2. Why does the artist in "The Rope" want to paint the child so frequently?
(a) The child will pose for free.
(b) He misses his own childhood.
(c) He is taken by the child's face.
(d) He is in love with the child's aunt.
3. What is the woman's mouth compared to in "The Desire to Paint"?
(a) A star.
(b) A cake.
(c) A cloud.
(d) A flower.
4. Why does the narrator of "Mademoiselle Bistouri" ask the woman questions?
(a) To understand her obsession.
(b) To kill time.
(c) To make her feel better.
(d) To seem interested in her.
5. Where do the men leave in the beginning of "Counterfeit Money"?
(a) A tobacco shop.
(b) An inn.
(c) A town hall.
(d) A church.
6. Because of the Moon's actions in "The Favors of the Moon", what happens to the child's skin?
(a) It becomes pale.
(b) It starts to sparkle.
(c) It is covered with freckles.
(d) It has a yellow tint.
7. What do the passengers on the ship in "Already!" talk about?
(a) The sea.
8. Who begins sending the artist letters after the child's death in "The Rope"?
(a) The artist's parents.
(b) The child's parents.
(c) Art dealers.
9. How does Baudelaire make the legend in "Windows"?
(a) From writing about the old woman.
(b) From taking frequent naps.
(c) From peering into his neighbors' windows.
(d) From watching the old woman.
10. How does the narrator of "Which is the Real One?" sink into the ground?
(a) He dives into a pond but does not surface.
(b) He falls in a hole.
(c) He stamps his foot.
(d) He is shoved down.
11. In "Solitude", how does the journalist back up his statement that solitude is bad for men?
(a) With a journal.
(b) With stories.
(c) With research.
(d) With gospels.
12. How does the second beautiful woman in "Which is the Real One?" feel when she sees the narrator?
(a) She is frightened.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is happy.
13. In "Get Yourself Drunk", what does Baudelaire say slavery is?
14. At the end of "Plans", what does the man say about planning?
(a) It is difficult work.
(b) It is not for him.
(c) It is a joy.
(d) It is funny.
15. How does Baudelaire say he feels about solitude in "Solitude"?
(a) He thinks it is good for women.
(b) He thinks it is bad for men.
(c) He does not care about it either way.
(d) He prefers it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator of "The Firing Range and the Graveyard" criticized?
2. In "Which is the Real One?", what does the first beautiful woman's casket look like?
3. In "Windows", how does Baudelaire say he feels about the legend?
4. Where are the men in "Portraits of Mistresses"?
5. How does the man's wife in "The Gallant Marksman" react to his shooting?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)