|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of moon is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" compared to?
(a) Waning moon.
(b) New moon.
(c) Waxing moon.
(d) Full moon.
2. What does the Moon leave with the child in "The Favors of the Moon"?
(a) Special powers.
(d) A blessing.
3. In "The Generous Gambler", what does the narrator lose to the man?
(a) The keys to his house.
(b) Half his money.
(c) His soul.
(d) A horse.
4. In "Solitude", what does the journalist ask the poet about sharing?
(a) If he shares his money with the needy.
(b) If solitude protects him from sharing.
(c) If he can define the word.
(d) If he feels the need to share joy.
5. In "The Port", who is described as leaving the port?
(a) The troubled.
(b) The weary.
(c) The adventurous.
(d) The young.
6. In "The Rope", when are illusion and reality described as being the same?
(a) When they are a mother's love.
(b) When they belong to a child.
(c) When they are found in nature.
7. What season is it in "Vocations"?
8. In "Loss of a Halo", what is described as being positive about not having a halo?
(a) Being able to partake in debauchery.
(b) Not worrying about losing it.
(c) Carrying less weight.
(d) Never having to live up to expectations.
9. Why does the narrator of "Mademoiselle Bistouri" ask the woman questions?
(a) To kill time.
(b) To seem interested in her.
(c) To understand her obsession.
(d) To make her feel better.
10. In "Portraits of Mistresses", what does the one man say happens when someone decides to take a mistress?
(a) They are enlightened.
(b) They lose their mind.
(c) They pass through stages.
(d) They go broke.
11. How does the man's wife in "The Gallant Marksman" react to his shooting?
(a) She criticizes his technique.
(b) She claps.
(c) She will not watch.
(d) She laughs.
12. In "A Thoroughbred", how does the thoroughbred learn her lessons?
(a) From the stars.
(b) From reality.
(c) From a man.
(d) From no one.
13. In "Windows", how does Baudelaire say he feels about the legend?
(a) As if it is not true at all.
(b) As if he has suffered for it.
(c) As if it teaches him daily.
(d) As if it saves his life.
14. Why does the first beautiful woman die young in "Which is the Real One?"
(a) Because she was beaten.
(b) Because of an accident.
(c) Because of an illness.
(d) Because of her beauty.
15. How is the thoroughbred described in "A Thoroughbred"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Which is the Real One?", why are the first beautiful woman's eyes wide?
2. What does the narrator of "The Generous Gambler" do after the Devil promises him many things?
3. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman have hanging on her walls?
4. In "Solitude", how does the journalist back up his statement that solitude is bad for men?
5. How does the boy in "The Rope" die?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)