|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the artist in "The Rope" want to paint the child so frequently?
(a) He misses his own childhood.
(b) He is taken by the child's face.
(c) He is in love with the child's aunt.
(d) The child will pose for free.
2. How is Fancioulle's moment of death described by the poet in "A Heroic Death"?
(a) As his greatest moment.
(b) As a dark time.
(c) As a mistake.
(d) As a passing moment.
3. In "The Soup and the Clouds", what does the man call his wife?
(a) Little magician.
(b) Little fool.
(c) Little maniac.
(d) Little wonder.
4. In "The Soup and the Clouds", how does the man's wife break his daydream?
(a) She gives him soup.
(b) She falls asleep.
(c) She hits him.
(d) She calls for him.
5. In "Vocations", what makes the boy who says he is not very happy excited?
(a) Getting to move to another town.
(b) Remembering men from the fair.
(c) Having best friends.
(d) Receiving a small gift.
6. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman have hanging on her walls?
7. How does the man's wife in "The Gallant Marksman" react to his shooting?
(a) She claps.
(b) She criticizes his technique.
(c) She will not watch.
(d) She laughs.
8. What is the woman's mouth compared to in "The Desire to Paint"?
(a) A cake.
(b) A cloud.
(c) A flower.
(d) A star.
9. Where does the man walk in "Plans"?
(a) Through a small village.
(b) In a park.
(c) In a city.
(d) Over a bridge.
10. In "The Generous Gambler", what does the narrator lose to the man?
(a) A horse.
(b) Half his money.
(c) His soul.
(d) The keys to his house.
11. In "Windows", what type of window does the poet say is most interesting to look in?
(a) One lit by a candle.
(b) An open window.
(c) A closed window during the daytime.
(d) A partially covered window.
12. What does Baudelaire say happens when he watches the poor old woman in "Windows"?
(a) She catches him watching her.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) Sometimes he cries.
(d) It inspires him to write.
13. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", to whom does the narrator think the tavern is in homage?
14. In "Get Yourself Drunk", what does Baudelaire say slavery is?
15. What does the poet say lurks at night in "The Desire to Paint"?
(c) The unknown.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Which is the Real One?", what does the first beautiful woman's casket look like?
2. How does the narrator know the man he meets in "The Generous Gambler"?
3. What does the narrator of "The Eyes of the Poor" remember the woman doing when she saw the poor man?
4. Why does the first beautiful woman die young in "Which is the Real One?"
5. How does the second beautiful woman in "Which is the Real One?" feel when she sees the narrator?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)