|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of moon is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" compared to?
(a) Waxing moon.
(b) Waning moon.
(c) Full moon.
(d) New moon.
2. How does Baudelaire make the legend in "Windows"?
(a) From writing about the old woman.
(b) From taking frequent naps.
(c) From peering into his neighbors' windows.
(d) From watching the old woman.
3. How does the narrator of "Which is the Real One?" sink into the ground?
(a) He stamps his foot.
(b) He falls in a hole.
(c) He is shoved down.
(d) He dives into a pond but does not surface.
4. Where does the man walk in "Plans"?
(a) Over a bridge.
(b) Through a small village.
(c) In a park.
(d) In a city.
5. In "A Heroic Death", what job does Fancioulle have?
6. How does the narrator know the man he meets in "The Generous Gambler"?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They went to school together.
(c) They live in the same building.
(d) He has always wanted to meet him.
7. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman ask the man?
(a) If he knows the time.
(b) If they have met before.
(c) If he can give her directions.
(d) If he is a doctor.
8. Why is the narrator of "The Firing Range and the Graveyard" criticized?
(a) For being nosey.
(b) For being drunk.
(c) For being ambitious.
(d) For being talkative.
9. What is the Devil afraid of in "The Generous Gambler"?
(a) Losing his power.
(b) Stepping out in the daylight.
(c) Learning to love.
(d) Being found out.
10. Why does the narrator of "Mademoiselle Bistouri" ask the woman questions?
(a) To make her feel better.
(b) To understand her obsession.
(c) To kill time.
(d) To seem interested in her.
11. Where do the men leave in the beginning of "Counterfeit Money"?
(a) A tobacco shop.
(b) A church.
(c) A town hall.
(d) An inn.
12. In "The Gallant Marksman", what does the man attribute his shooting skills to?
(a) His steady hand.
(b) His mind.
(c) His parents.
(d) His wife.
13. In "Vocations", what makes the boy who says he is not very happy excited?
(a) Having best friends.
(b) Getting to move to another town.
(c) Receiving a small gift.
(d) Remembering men from the fair.
14. Why does the narrator of "The Mirror" question the man looking into a mirror?
(a) Because he is ugly.
(b) Because the mirror is not his.
(c) Because he is not smiling at himself.
(d) Because it is raining and he is outside.
15. In "The Rope", when are illusion and reality described as being the same?
(a) When they are found in nature.
(b) When they are a mother's love.
(d) When they belong to a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of "Plans", what does the man say about planning?
2. How does the second beautiful woman in "Which is the Real One?" feel when she sees the narrator?
3. What makes the man in "Plans" think about a cabin?
4. What season is it in "Vocations"?
5. What does the man stop doing in "The Gallant Marksman" in order to practice shooting?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)