|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Eyes of the Poor", how many children does the narrator say the poor man had with him?
2. What do most of the passengers on the boat in "Already!" say when they see land?
(a) It's true.
3. How does the one gentleman in "Portraits of Mistresses" say he feels about finding flaws with mistresses?
(a) Confused, because he has not had a mistress.
(b) Jealous, because he wants to be able to.
(c) Entertained, because they are funny flaws.
(d) Angry, because they are nice women.
4. In "Which is the Real One?", why are the first beautiful woman's eyes wide?
(a) Because she is afraid.
(b) Because she is honest.
(c) Because she has seen little in the world.
(d) Because she is full of want.
5. Why does the narrator of "Mademoiselle Bistouri" ask the woman questions?
(a) To make her feel better.
(b) To seem interested in her.
(c) To kill time.
(d) To understand her obsession.
6. In "The Port", who is described as coming into the port?
(a) The excited.
(b) The mysterious.
(c) The old.
(d) The tired.
7. Where are the men in "Portraits of Mistresses"?
(a) An inn.
(b) A pub.
(c) Someone's parlor.
(d) A gambling house.
8. In "A Thoroughbred", how does the thoroughbred learn her lessons?
(a) From no one.
(b) From the stars.
(c) From reality.
(d) From a man.
9. In "The Eyes of the Poor", what does the narrator first say to the woman?
(a) That she is late.
(b) That he will not yell at her.
(c) That she is not beautiful any longer.
(d) That he hates her.
10. In "The Gallant Marksman", what does the man attribute his shooting skills to?
(a) His mind.
(b) His steady hand.
(c) His wife.
(d) His parents.
11. What part of the child does the Moon touch in "The Favors of the Moon"?
(a) Her hands.
(b) Her back.
(c) Her feet.
(d) Her face.
12. What does the narrator of "The Eyes of the Poor" remember the woman doing when she saw the poor man?
(a) She turned her back to them.
(b) She had a waiter make them leave.
(c) She threw a coin at them.
(d) She gave the small child a toy.
13. How does the boy in "The Rope" die?
(a) A car accident.
(b) He kills himself.
(d) He drowns.
14. Why is Fancioulle's lord in "A Heroic Death" sentenced to death?
(a) For printing books.
(b) For staging a rebellion.
(c) For robbing the king.
(d) For hurting a woman.
15. In "The Soup and the Clouds", how does the man's wife break his daydream?
(a) She falls asleep.
(b) She calls for him.
(c) She hits him.
(d) She gives him soup.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator of "Which is the Real One?" sink into the ground?
2. How does the man's wife in "The Gallant Marksman" react to his shooting?
3. In "The Generous Gambler", what does the narrator lose to the man?
4. In "Beautiful Dorothy", why is Dorothy saving money?
5. In "Already!" how many suns have set according to the narrator?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)