|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "The Mirror" question the man looking into a mirror?
(a) Because it is raining and he is outside.
(b) Because the mirror is not his.
(c) Because he is ugly.
(d) Because he is not smiling at himself.
2. In "Windows", what type of window does the poet say is most interesting to look in?
(a) A partially covered window.
(b) A closed window during the daytime.
(c) An open window.
(d) One lit by a candle.
3. What does the narrator of "The Generous Gambler" do after the Devil promises him many things?
(a) He wakes up.
(b) He asks to go with the Devil.
(c) He prays to God.
(d) He laughs.
4. In "The Thyrsus", what does the poet say covers the thyrsus?
5. In "Which is the Real One?", why are the first beautiful woman's eyes wide?
(a) Because she is full of want.
(b) Because she is honest.
(c) Because she is afraid.
(d) Because she has seen little in the world.
6. How does the boy in "The Rope" die?
(a) He drowns.
(b) He kills himself.
(d) A car accident.
7. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman have hanging on her walls?
8. In "Already!" what does the narrator see in the sea?
(d) New life.
9. How does the narrator know the man he meets in "The Generous Gambler"?
(a) They live in the same building.
(b) They went to school together.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) He has always wanted to meet him.
10. In "Windows", how does Baudelaire say he feels about the legend?
(a) As if it teaches him daily.
(b) As if it saves his life.
(c) As if it is not true at all.
(d) As if he has suffered for it.
11. In "The Eyes of the Poor", how many children does the narrator say the poor man had with him?
12. In "Beautiful Dorothy", why is Dorothy saving money?
(a) To attract a husband.
(b) To move to Paris.
(c) To go on vacation.
(d) To buy back her sister.
13. In "Which is the Real One?", what does the first beautiful woman's casket look like?
(a) A treasure chest.
(b) A couch.
(c) A shiny dome.
(d) A basket.
14. What does the man's wife do in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
(a) She watches the clouds with him.
(b) She goes for a walk.
(c) She eats leftover soup.
(d) She makes dinner.
15. According to the poet in "The Thyrsus", who gets to use the thyrsus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the child does the Moon touch in "The Favors of the Moon"?
2. What does the poet say lurks at night in "The Desire to Paint"?
3. In "Already!" how many suns have set according to the narrator?
4. How does the second beautiful woman in "Which is the Real One?" feel when she sees the narrator?
5. In "The Soup and the Clouds", what does the man call his wife?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)