|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poet say is negative in the Moon's interactions with children in "The Favors of the Moon"?
(a) It causes ill health.
(b) It breaks the laws of science.
(c) It is unfair to others.
(d) It creates lunatics.
2. Who begins sending the artist letters after the child's death in "The Rope"?
(a) The child's parents.
(b) The artist's parents.
(d) Art dealers.
3. Why is Fancioulle's lord in "A Heroic Death" sentenced to death?
(a) For hurting a woman.
(b) For robbing the king.
(c) For staging a rebellion.
(d) For printing books.
4. In "Vocations", what makes the boy who says he is not very happy excited?
(a) Getting to move to another town.
(b) Receiving a small gift.
(c) Remembering men from the fair.
(d) Having best friends.
5. In "Solitude", how does the journalist back up his statement that solitude is bad for men?
(a) With a journal.
(b) With stories.
(c) With research.
(d) With gospels.
6. In "Counterfeit Money", what does the man call his friend's stupidity?
7. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman have hanging on her walls?
8. In "The Eyes of the Poor", what does the narrator first say to the woman?
(a) That he hates her.
(b) That he will not yell at her.
(c) That she is not beautiful any longer.
(d) That she is late.
9. Where do the men leave in the beginning of "Counterfeit Money"?
(a) A tobacco shop.
(b) A town hall.
(c) An inn.
(d) A church.
10. Why does the narrator of "Mademoiselle Bistouri" ask the woman questions?
(a) To understand her obsession.
(b) To seem interested in her.
(c) To make her feel better.
(d) To kill time.
11. How does Baudelaire describe the thyrsus in "The Thyrsus"?
(a) Beautifully sad.
(d) A plaything.
12. In "A Heroic Death", what job does Fancioulle have?
13. When Dorothy goes to the shore in "Beautiful Dorothy", what does the narrator wonder?
(a) If she is meeting someone.
(b) If she is going swimming.
(c) If she is wasting time.
(d) If she is lonely.
14. What is the Devil afraid of in "The Generous Gambler"?
(a) Learning to love.
(b) Stepping out in the daylight.
(c) Being found out.
(d) Losing his power.
15. What happens when the man shoots in "The Gallant Marksman"?
(a) He is too afraid to shoot.
(b) He hits the target half of the time.
(c) He hits the target every time.
(d) All his shots go wild.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator of "The Eyes of the Poor" remember the woman doing when she saw the poor man?
2. At the end of "Plans", what does the man say about planning?
3. What season is it in "Vocations"?
4. How does the boy in "The Rope" die?
5. In "Portraits of Mistresses", why does the man with the mistress who is willing to please break up with her?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)