|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the thoroughbred described in "A Thoroughbred"?
2. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman ask the man?
(a) If they have met before.
(b) If he can give her directions.
(c) If he is a doctor.
(d) If he knows the time.
3. What makes the man in "Plans" think about a cabin?
(a) A river.
(b) A forest.
(c) A painting.
(d) His mother.
4. What does the Moon leave with the child in "The Favors of the Moon"?
(b) Special powers.
(c) A blessing.
5. Why is Fancioulle's lord in "A Heroic Death" sentenced to death?
(a) For hurting a woman.
(b) For printing books.
(c) For robbing the king.
(d) For staging a rebellion.
6. Why does the narrator of "Mademoiselle Bistouri" ask the woman questions?
(a) To understand her obsession.
(b) To kill time.
(c) To make her feel better.
(d) To seem interested in her.
7. In "The Thyrsus", what does the poet say covers the thyrsus?
8. Why is the narrator of "The Firing Range and the Graveyard" criticized?
(a) For being drunk.
(b) For being nosey.
(c) For being talkative.
(d) For being ambitious.
9. In "The Generous Gambler", what do the people in the sanctuary look like?
10. Why does the artist in "The Rope" want to paint the child so frequently?
(a) He misses his own childhood.
(b) He is in love with the child's aunt.
(c) The child will pose for free.
(d) He is taken by the child's face.
11. Because of the Moon's actions in "The Favors of the Moon", what happens to the child's skin?
(a) It becomes pale.
(b) It is covered with freckles.
(c) It has a yellow tint.
(d) It starts to sparkle.
12. In "Portraits of Mistresses", why does the man with the mistress who is willing to please break up with her?
(a) Because she found no pleasure for herself.
(b) Because he found a new mistress.
(c) Because she was getting too old.
(d) She broke up with him.
13. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman have hanging on her walls?
14. In "Which is the Real One?", what does the first beautiful woman's casket look like?
(a) A couch.
(b) A basket.
(c) A treasure chest.
(d) A shiny dome.
15. How does the man in "Counterfeit Money" learn that his friend has counterfeit coins?
(a) When he tries to trade coins.
(b) When his wife gets mad.
(c) When he gives some to a beggar.
(d) When he is arrested.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the second beautiful woman in "Which is the Real One?" feel when she sees the narrator?
2. In "Loss of a Halo", what is described as being positive about not having a halo?
3. What does Baudelaire say happens when he watches the poor old woman in "Windows"?
4. What is the woman's mouth compared to in "The Desire to Paint"?
5. Where does the man walk in "Plans"?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)