|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the passengers on the ship in "Already!" talk about?
(d) The sea.
2. How does Baudelaire describe the thyrsus in "The Thyrsus"?
(b) Beautifully sad.
(c) A plaything.
3. In "Windows", what type of window does the poet say is most interesting to look in?
(a) A closed window during the daytime.
(b) A partially covered window.
(c) An open window.
(d) One lit by a candle.
4. In "Solitude", how does the journalist back up his statement that solitude is bad for men?
(a) With stories.
(b) With research.
(c) With gospels.
(d) With a journal.
5. How is Fancioulle's moment of death described by the poet in "A Heroic Death"?
(a) As a mistake.
(b) As a dark time.
(c) As a passing moment.
(d) As his greatest moment.
6. In "Solitude", what does the journalist ask the poet about sharing?
(a) If he can define the word.
(b) If solitude protects him from sharing.
(c) If he feels the need to share joy.
(d) If he shares his money with the needy.
7. How does the boy in "The Rope" die?
(a) A car accident.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He kills himself.
8. What type of moon is the woman in "The Desire to Paint" compared to?
(a) Waxing moon.
(b) Full moon.
(c) New moon.
(d) Waning moon.
9. What does the narrator of "The Eyes of the Poor" remember the woman doing when she saw the poor man?
(a) She had a waiter make them leave.
(b) She turned her back to them.
(c) She gave the small child a toy.
(d) She threw a coin at them.
10. In "The Firing Range and the Graveyard", to whom does the narrator think the tavern is in homage?
11. What makes the man in "Plans" think about a cabin?
(a) A river.
(b) A painting.
(c) A forest.
(d) His mother.
12. In "The Soup and the Clouds", what does the man call his wife?
(a) Little fool.
(b) Little maniac.
(c) Little wonder.
(d) Little magician.
13. In "The Soup and the Clouds", how does the man's wife break his daydream?
(a) She gives him soup.
(b) She hits him.
(c) She calls for him.
(d) She falls asleep.
14. Where do the men leave in the beginning of "Counterfeit Money"?
(a) An inn.
(b) A town hall.
(c) A tobacco shop.
(d) A church.
15. In "Mademoiselle Bistouri", what does the woman have hanging on her walls?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Port", who is described as coming into the port?
2. In "Portraits of Mistresses", what does the Prince's bastard child often say?
3. What does the man's wife do in "The Soup and the Clouds"?
4. In "Portraits of Mistresses", why does the man with the mistress who is willing to please break up with her?
5. In "A Heroic Death", what job does Fancioulle have?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)