|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Generous Gambler", what does the narrator lose to the man?
(a) Half his money.
(b) A horse.
(c) His soul.
(d) The keys to his house.
2. What do the passengers on the ship in "Already!" talk about?
(a) The sea.
3. In "A Heroic Death", why does the Prince want to save Fancioulle's life?
(a) Because of his performance at court.
(b) Because he is so young.
(c) Because he knows he is innocent.
(d) Because his lord tricked him.
4. What do most of the passengers on the boat in "Already!" say when they see land?
(a) It's true.
5. In "Solitude", what does the journalist ask the poet about sharing?
(a) If he shares his money with the needy.
(b) If he can define the word.
(c) If he feels the need to share joy.
(d) If solitude protects him from sharing.
6. According to the poet in "The Thyrsus", who gets to use the thyrsus?
7. How does Baudelaire say he feels about solitude in "Solitude"?
(a) He thinks it is good for women.
(b) He does not care about it either way.
(c) He thinks it is bad for men.
(d) He prefers it.
8. Where does the man walk in "Plans"?
(a) In a city.
(b) Through a small village.
(c) In a park.
(d) Over a bridge.
9. How does Baudelaire make the legend in "Windows"?
(a) From watching the old woman.
(b) From writing about the old woman.
(c) From taking frequent naps.
(d) From peering into his neighbors' windows.
10. Why does the first beautiful woman die young in "Which is the Real One?"
(a) Because she was beaten.
(b) Because of an illness.
(c) Because of an accident.
(d) Because of her beauty.
11. What does the man stop doing in "The Gallant Marksman" in order to practice shooting?
12. In "Windows", what type of window does the poet say is most interesting to look in?
(a) An open window.
(b) One lit by a candle.
(c) A partially covered window.
(d) A closed window during the daytime.
13. How does the narrator of "Which is the Real One?" sink into the ground?
(a) He is shoved down.
(b) He stamps his foot.
(c) He falls in a hole.
(d) He dives into a pond but does not surface.
14. In "Portraits of Mistresses", what does the Prince's bastard child often say?
(a) What would be different if she were a man.
(b) How she would spend her money if she had any.
(c) Where she plans to travel.
(d) Why she is right about everything.
15. Why is Fancioulle's lord in "A Heroic Death" sentenced to death?
(a) For robbing the king.
(b) For staging a rebellion.
(c) For printing books.
(d) For hurting a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Already!" how many suns have set according to the narrator?
2. What does the narrator of "The Generous Gambler" do after the Devil promises him many things?
3. How many boys meet to talk in "Vocations"?
4. What season is it in "Vocations"?
5. What part of the child does the Moon touch in "The Favors of the Moon"?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)