|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Baudelaire use to describe clouds in "The Foreigner"?
2. In "The Toy of the Poor", what separates the rich child from the poor?
(b) A set of train tracks.
(c) A hedge.
(d) A gate.
3. In "The Dog and The Vial", what does the narrator say the dog resembles?
(c) The elite.
(d) The public.
4. In the beginning of "At One in the Morning", how does the narrator feel about his life?
5. In "The Old Mountebank", how do the merchants try to get the customers' attention?
(a) With colorful signs.
(b) They yell.
(c) With free samples.
(d) They throw things at them.
6. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what color hair does the poet focus on?
7. In "The Foreigner", what emotions does Baudelaire tie to gold?
8. Why does Baudelaire mention clouds in "The Foreigner"?
(a) Because they represent God.
(b) Because they are not human.
(c) Because they send rain.
(d) Because they are loved.
9. In "The Double Room", what wakes the narrator from his dream?
(a) The rising sun.
(b) A woman yelling.
(c) A clap of thunder.
(d) A knock.
10. How is "The Foreigner" organized?
(a) As a letter.
(b) As a series of questions.
(c) In chronological order.
(d) In alphabetical order.
11. In "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress", what does the narrator describe as being in an iron cage?
(b) Faith and beauty.
(c) All women.
(d) A hairy monster.
12. How does the poet describe the words "multitude" and "solitude" in "Crowds"?
(a) As being difficult to spell.
(b) As being painful.
(c) As being opposites.
(d) As being identical.
13. Why does the narrator feel sympathy for the man dressed as a jester in "The Fool and Venus"?
(a) Because of his occupation.
(b) Because of his unkempt hair.
(c) Because of his clothes and eyes.
(d) Because of his poor speech.
14. How does the tradesman react to his child's gift in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) He demands a better gift.
(b) He wants the fairy to explain it to him.
(c) He laughs at it.
(d) He tries to pay the fairy.
15. What does the narrator drop on the glazier in "The Bad Glazier"?
(a) A picture frame.
(b) A flowerpot.
(c) A brick.
(d) A book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say the poor children will be wary in "The Toy of the Poor"?
2. In "The Foreigner", to what is gold compared?
3. In "A Joker", why does the man stop when he sees the donkey?
4. Why does the narrator want something of color from the glazier in "The Bad Glazier"?
5. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator describe about the room?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)