|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poor child play with in "The Toy of the Poor"?
(a) A puppet.
(b) A cup.
(c) A dollar bill.
(d) A rat.
2. Why does the narrator follow the woman around all day in "The Widows"?
(a) She asks him to.
(b) He thinks he knows her.
(c) She owes him money.
(d) He is fascinated with her.
3. In "The Double Room", what wakes the narrator from his dream?
(a) A clap of thunder.
(b) A knock.
(c) A woman yelling.
(d) The rising sun.
4. How does the narrator feel at the end of "Cake"?
5. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", where does the poet see "the languor of long hours"?
(a) On her bed.
(b) In a bathtub.
(c) In a park.
(d) On a divan.
6. Why does the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" turn down the ability to have everything of wealth?
(a) Because he wants a better offer.
(b) Because he does not enjoy making other miserable.
(c) Because he is happy with what he has.
(d) Because he does not trust the demon.
7. What word does Baudelaire use to describe clouds in "The Foreigner"?
8. In "To Arsène Houssaye", what does the author say reading Aloysius Bertrand made him want to do?
(a) Change his career.
(b) Write a novel.
(c) Become a journalist.
(d) Copy his style.
9. In "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress", what does the narrator describe as being in an iron cage?
(a) Faith and beauty.
(b) All women.
(d) A hairy monster.
10. In "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress", what bothers the narrator about the woman?
(a) She whines.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her clothes are dirty.
(d) She is poor.
11. In "The Old Woman's Despair", why does the woman visit the baby?
(a) To bring him joy.
(b) To bless him.
(c) To make sure the mother is ok.
(d) To feel less lonely.
12. Where does the poet glimpse men in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair"?
(c) A port.
(d) A school.
13. In "At One in the Morning", what allows the narrator to relax?
14. What does the narrator of "A Joker" think of his society?
(a) That it is a "splendid imbecile."
(b) That it is "well educated."
(c) That it is "growing poorer."
(d) That it is being taken over by animals.
15. In "A Joker", what does the donkey do when he sees the man?
(a) The donkey trots on.
(b) The donkey bites him.
(c) The donkey goes to beg food from the man.
(d) The donkey kicks his legs.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Crowds", what does the narrator give credit to for the people who stand out in a crowd?
2. What does the dog do after smelling the perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
3. How does the tradesman react to his child's gift in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
4. What season does the poet reflect upon in "The Artist's Confiteor"?
5. After the narrator wakes up in "The Double Room", what does he realize he must do?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)