|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress", what does the narrator describe as being in an iron cage?
(a) All women.
(b) A hairy monster.
(d) Faith and beauty.
2. Why does the narrator suggest people should buy toys in "The Toy of the Poor"?
(a) To learn to invent toys.
(b) To encourage more people to play.
(c) To keep the economy moving.
(d) To give to unknown children.
3. In "Crowds", what is the poet's gift?
(a) To be a crowd.
(b) To be an observer.
(c) To be educated.
(d) To be one and all.
4. In "The Foreigner", what emotion does Baudelaire discuss?
5. What does the baby boy do when he sees the old woman in "The Old Woman's Despair"?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He crawls away.
(c) He cries.
(d) He falls asleep.
6. Why does the narrator want something of color from the glazier in "The Bad Glazier"?
(a) To resell at the market.
(b) To give to his wife.
(c) To decorate his bedroom.
(d) To brighten up his life.
7. How does the tradesman react to his child's gift in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) He demands a better gift.
(b) He wants the fairy to explain it to him.
(c) He tries to pay the fairy.
(d) He laughs at it.
8. Why does the narrator not go to speak to the mountebank about his wares in "The Old Mountebank"?
(a) He does not have any money.
(b) He does not want to embarrass him.
(c) He starts talking to a woman.
(d) He does not like what he is selling.
9. How does the narrator of "The Fool and Venus" describe the day?
10. In "The Old Mountebank", how do the merchants try to get the customers' attention?
(a) They yell.
(b) With free samples.
(c) With colorful signs.
(d) They throw things at them.
11. How does the narrator describe the dog after he smells the perfume in "The Dog and the Vial"?
(d) Ill tempered.
12. Why does the narrator feel sympathy for the man dressed as a jester in "The Fool and Venus"?
(a) Because of his unkempt hair.
(b) Because of his occupation.
(c) Because of his poor speech.
(d) Because of his clothes and eyes.
13. What does the dog do after smelling the perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
(a) He licks the vial.
(b) He chases his tail.
(c) He howls.
(d) He barks.
14. What does the poor child play with in "The Toy of the Poor"?
(a) A cup.
(b) A dollar bill.
(c) A puppet.
(d) A rat.
15. In "To Each His Chimera", how does the narrator describe the chimera on the backs of the men?
(a) That they are part of the men.
(b) That they are wings.
(c) That they are supporting the men.
(d) That they are invisible.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "To Each His Chimera", what color is the sky?
2. What does the strange man call "cake" in "Cake"?
3. In "A Joker", what does the donkey do when he sees the man?
4. What does the narrator ask the men in "To Each His Chimera"?
5. What does the narrator call himself in "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress"?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)