|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who chooses the gifts the children receive in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) The fairies.
(b) A beast.
(c) The children's parents.
(d) The children.
2. In "The Clock", how do the Chinese tell time using cats?
(a) They watch their tails.
(b) They look into their eyes.
(c) They have them stare in the sun.
(d) They pet them.
3. In "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress", what bothers the narrator about the woman?
(a) Her clothes are dirty.
(b) Her sister.
(c) She whines.
(d) She is poor.
4. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what color hair does the poet focus on?
5. In "Crowds", what does the narrator give credit to for the people who stand out in a crowd?
(b) Good education.
6. Why does the narrator not go to speak to the mountebank about his wares in "The Old Mountebank"?
(a) He does not want to embarrass him.
(b) He starts talking to a woman.
(c) He does not like what he is selling.
(d) He does not have any money.
7. Of whom does the she-devil in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" remind the narrator?
(a) Something gone bad.
(b) His mother.
(c) A snake.
(d) A woman in the pubs.
8. In "The Old Mountebank", what does the narrator first notice about the mountebank?
(a) His tall hat.
(b) His smile.
(c) His wares for sale.
(d) His level of poverty.
9. How does the tradesman react to his child's gift in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) He wants the fairy to explain it to him.
(b) He laughs at it.
(c) He tries to pay the fairy.
(d) He demands a better gift.
10. What does the narrator ask the men in "To Each His Chimera"?
(a) Where they are going.
(b) How heavy the chimeras are.
(c) When they found the chimeras.
(d) Who is in control.
11. What does the baby boy do when he sees the old woman in "The Old Woman's Despair"?
(a) He crawls away.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He cries.
12. What do the men say to the narrator when he asks them questions in "To Each His Chimera"?
(a) They tell him to go away.
(b) They laugh.
(c) They say he is too poor to talk to.
(d) They say they do not know.
13. In "The Toy of the Poor", what separates the rich child from the poor?
(b) A set of train tracks.
(c) A gate.
(d) A hedge.
14. Why does the narrator suggest people should buy toys in "The Toy of the Poor"?
(a) To learn to invent toys.
(b) To keep the economy moving.
(c) To give to unknown children.
(d) To encourage more people to play.
15. In "A Joker", why does the man stop when he sees the donkey?
(a) To try to ride on the donkey.
(b) Because the donkey looks hurt.
(c) To wish the donkey well.
(d) Because he is afraid of the donkey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator of "The Dog and The Vial" get the perfume?
2. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator describe about the room?
3. In "The Foreigner", what emotion does Baudelaire discuss?
4. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator call the woman on the bed?
5. In "The Widows", why is the woman by the gate not allowed in the concert?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)