|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What season does the poet reflect upon in "The Artist's Confiteor"?
2. In "The Widows", why is the woman by the gate not allowed in the concert?
(a) Because she is late.
(b) Because she is poorly dressed.
(c) Because she has a child.
(d) Because she lacks money.
3. Where does the narrator of "The Dog and The Vial" get the perfume?
4. What does the baby boy do when he sees the old woman in "The Old Woman's Despair"?
(a) He crawls away.
(b) He cries.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He laughs.
5. Of whom does the she-devil in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" remind the narrator?
(a) A snake.
(b) Something gone bad.
(c) His mother.
(d) A woman in the pubs.
6. In "A Joker", what does the donkey do when he sees the man?
(a) The donkey trots on.
(b) The donkey goes to beg food from the man.
(c) The donkey bites him.
(d) The donkey kicks his legs.
7. In "To Each His Chimera", how does the narrator describe the chimera on the backs of the men?
(a) That they are part of the men.
(b) That they are supporting the men.
(c) That they are wings.
(d) That they are invisible.
8. How is "The Foreigner" organized?
(a) In chronological order.
(b) As a series of questions.
(c) As a letter.
(d) In alphabetical order.
9. After the narrator wakes up in "The Double Room", what does he realize he must do?
(a) Pay bills.
(b) Take a vacation.
(c) Go back to sleep.
(d) Return to work.
10. In "The Widows", who does the narrator say visits public parks?
(a) Children who need to breathe free.
(b) Men who long for nature.
(c) Women who can no longer think.
(d) People who are crippled by life.
11. Why does the narrator follow the woman around all day in "The Widows"?
(a) She owes him money.
(b) He thinks he knows her.
(c) He is fascinated with her.
(d) She asks him to.
12. What does the narrator drop on the glazier in "The Bad Glazier"?
(a) A book.
(b) A picture frame.
(c) A brick.
(d) A flowerpot.
13. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what color hair does the poet focus on?
14. Why does the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" turn down the ability to have everything of wealth?
(a) Because he does not trust the demon.
(b) Because he wants a better offer.
(c) Because he does not enjoy making other miserable.
(d) Because he is happy with what he has.
15. What happens to the mountebank in "The Old Mountebank"?
(a) The narrator loses sight of him.
(b) He walks into a restaurant.
(c) He starts singing loudly.
(d) He is arrested.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baudelaire mention clouds in "The Foreigner"?
2. In "The Foreigner", to what is gold compared?
3. In "The Fool and Venus", at what or where does the narrator notice Venus staring?
4. What does the strange man call "cake" in "Cake"?
5. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator describe about the room?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)