|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator describe about the room?
(a) The feelings he has about the room.
(b) The people inside.
(c) The nature outside the room.
(d) The physical appearance.
2. In "The Foreigner", what emotion does Baudelaire discuss?
3. What does the narrator drop on the glazier in "The Bad Glazier"?
(a) A brick.
(b) A flowerpot.
(c) A book.
(d) A picture frame.
4. In "To Arsène Houssaye", what does Baudelaire say this work lacks?
(a) A head or tail.
(b) The touches of an editor.
(d) Common sense.
5. Why does the man throw a chicken in "Evening Twilight"?
(a) He is defending himself against an attacker.
(b) He dislikes the way the chicken tastes.
(c) He thinks there is an offensive note in it.
(d) He had had too much to drink.
6. In "Crowds", what is the poet's gift?
(a) To be an observer.
(b) To be one and all.
(c) To be educated.
(d) To be a crowd.
7. How does the tradesman react to his child's gift in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) He demands a better gift.
(b) He laughs at it.
(c) He tries to pay the fairy.
(d) He wants the fairy to explain it to him.
8. What does the narrator call himself in "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress"?
(b) His Highness.
(c) King Log.
(d) The trainer.
9. In "The Double Room", what wakes the narrator from his dream?
(a) A clap of thunder.
(b) A knock.
(c) A woman yelling.
(d) The rising sun.
10. How does the narrator of "The Fool and Venus" describe the day?
11. Why does the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" turn down the ability to have everything of wealth?
(a) Because he wants a better offer.
(b) Because he does not enjoy making other miserable.
(c) Because he does not trust the demon.
(d) Because he is happy with what he has.
12. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what does the first demon offer the narrator?
(a) To protect him for the rest of his life.
(b) To make him the lord of souls.
(c) Unlimited wealth.
(d) Three wishes.
13. How does the narrator feel at the end of "Cake"?
14. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator call the woman on the bed?
15. What does the baby boy do when he sees the old woman in "The Old Woman's Despair"?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He cries.
(c) He crawls away.
(d) He laughs.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "At One in the Morning", what allows the narrator to relax?
2. In "The Foreigner", how is beauty described?
3. In "The Foreigner", to what is gold compared?
4. In "To Each His Chimera", how does the narrator describe the chimera on the backs of the men?
5. Why does the narrator offer food to the strange man in "Cake"?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)