|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" turn down the ability to have everything of wealth?
(a) Because he wants a better offer.
(b) Because he does not trust the demon.
(c) Because he does not enjoy making other miserable.
(d) Because he is happy with what he has.
2. Why does Baudelaire mention clouds in "The Foreigner"?
(a) Because they send rain.
(b) Because they represent God.
(c) Because they are not human.
(d) Because they are loved.
3. In "The Bad Glazier", why does the narrator's friend start a forest fire?
(a) To frighten his wife.
(b) It is an accident.
(c) To see how quickly it spread.
(d) Because he falls asleep while smoking a cigar.
4. What does the narrator drop on the glazier in "The Bad Glazier"?
(a) A brick.
(b) A book.
(c) A picture frame.
(d) A flowerpot.
5. How many devils visit the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame"?
6. In "The Old Woman's Despair", why does the woman visit the baby?
(a) To make sure the mother is ok.
(b) To bless him.
(c) To feel less lonely.
(d) To bring him joy.
7. In "The Foreigner", to what is gold compared?
8. In "The Fool and Venus", what is the man dressed like a jester doing?
(a) Drawing a picture.
(b) Staring at a statue.
(c) Performing in a park.
(d) Begging for money.
9. What or whom does the narrator of "The Clock" name Feline?
(a) A dog.
(b) A woman.
(c) A cat.
(d) A Chinese neighbor.
10. How does the poet describe the words "multitude" and "solitude" in "Crowds"?
(a) As being opposites.
(b) As being painful.
(c) As being identical.
(d) As being difficult to spell.
11. What season does the poet reflect upon in "The Artist's Confiteor"?
12. How does the tradesman react to his child's gift in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) He demands a better gift.
(b) He laughs at it.
(c) He tries to pay the fairy.
(d) He wants the fairy to explain it to him.
13. What word does Baudelaire use to describe clouds in "The Foreigner"?
14. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what color hair does the poet focus on?
15. Where does the narrator of "The Dog and The Vial" get the perfume?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the mountebank in "The Old Mountebank"?
2. In "The Fool and Venus", at what or where does the narrator notice Venus staring?
3. What does the narrator ask the men in "To Each His Chimera"?
4. In "To Each His Chimera", how does the narrator describe the chimera on the backs of the men?
5. What does the dog do after smelling the perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)