|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many devils visit the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame"?
2. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", where does the poet see "the languor of long hours"?
(a) In a park.
(b) On her bed.
(c) On a divan.
(d) In a bathtub.
3. In the beginning of "At One in the Morning", how does the narrator feel about his life?
4. In "The Foreigner", how is beauty described?
(a) As a goddess.
(b) As a goal.
(c) As a game.
(d) As a fool.
5. In "The Old Mountebank", what does the narrator first notice about the mountebank?
(a) His tall hat.
(b) His level of poverty.
(c) His smile.
(d) His wares for sale.
6. In "The Fool and Venus", at what or where does the narrator notice Venus staring?
(a) At himself.
(b) At the jester.
(c) To the sky.
(d) Into the distance.
7. What does the narrator of "A Joker" think of his society?
(a) That it is "well educated."
(b) That it is being taken over by animals.
(c) That it is a "splendid imbecile."
(d) That it is "growing poorer."
8. What or whom does the narrator of "The Clock" name Feline?
(a) A Chinese neighbor.
(b) A dog.
(c) A woman.
(d) A cat.
9. In "The Foreigner", what emotion does Baudelaire discuss?
10. Who chooses the gifts the children receive in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) The children's parents.
(b) The children.
(c) A beast.
(d) The fairies.
11. In "The Old Woman's Despair", to what does the old woman compare herself?
(a) A setting sun.
(b) An empty house.
(c) A scarecrow.
(d) A wilted flower.
12. In "To Each His Chimera", how does the narrator describe the chimera on the backs of the men?
(a) That they are part of the men.
(b) That they are supporting the men.
(c) That they are invisible.
(d) That they are wings.
13. In "Crowds", what does the narrator give credit to for the people who stand out in a crowd?
(c) Good education.
14. Why does the narrator offer food to the strange man in "Cake"?
(a) Because he says he has a child who is hungry.
(b) Because he looks like he needs it.
(c) Because he pays for it.
(d) The strange man just takes the food.
15. In "A Joker", what does the donkey do when he sees the man?
(a) The donkey kicks his legs.
(b) The donkey trots on.
(c) The donkey bites him.
(d) The donkey goes to beg food from the man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator not go to speak to the mountebank about his wares in "The Old Mountebank"?
2. What does the narrator ask the men in "To Each His Chimera"?
3. How does the tradesman react to his child's gift in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
4. What happens to the mountebank in "The Old Mountebank"?
5. How does the narrator of "The Clock" describe Feline?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)