|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the tradesman react to his child's gift in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) He tries to pay the fairy.
(b) He laughs at it.
(c) He demands a better gift.
(d) He wants the fairy to explain it to him.
2. Where does the poet glimpse men in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair"?
(a) A port.
(c) A school.
3. Why does the narrator not go to speak to the mountebank about his wares in "The Old Mountebank"?
(a) He does not have any money.
(b) He does not want to embarrass him.
(c) He starts talking to a woman.
(d) He does not like what he is selling.
4. In "The Foreigner", what does Baudelaire say he does not know the latitude of?
(a) His city.
(b) His mind.
(c) His country.
(d) His abilities.
5. What does the narrator of "A Joker" think of his society?
(a) That it is "well educated."
(b) That it is being taken over by animals.
(c) That it is "growing poorer."
(d) That it is a "splendid imbecile."
6. In "The Old Woman's Despair", to what does the old woman compare herself?
(a) An empty house.
(b) A wilted flower.
(c) A scarecrow.
(d) A setting sun.
7. In "To Each His Chimera", what color is the sky?
8. Why does the artist in "The Artist's Confiteor" decide he cannot describe nature?
(a) Because he has a limited vocabulary.
(b) Because he hates it.
(c) Because it is too great.
(d) Because he is blind.
9. Why does the narrator suggest people should buy toys in "The Toy of the Poor"?
(a) To encourage more people to play.
(b) To learn to invent toys.
(c) To give to unknown children.
(d) To keep the economy moving.
10. Of whom does the she-devil in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" remind the narrator?
(a) A snake.
(b) His mother.
(c) Something gone bad.
(d) A woman in the pubs.
11. Why does the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" turn down the ability to have everything of wealth?
(a) Because he wants a better offer.
(b) Because he does not trust the demon.
(c) Because he is happy with what he has.
(d) Because he does not enjoy making other miserable.
12. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what color hair does the poet focus on?
13. Why does Baudelaire mention clouds in "The Foreigner"?
(a) Because they send rain.
(b) Because they represent God.
(c) Because they are not human.
(d) Because they are loved.
14. In "The Bad Glazier", why does the narrator's friend start a forest fire?
(a) To see how quickly it spread.
(b) It is an accident.
(c) To frighten his wife.
(d) Because he falls asleep while smoking a cigar.
15. In "At One in the Morning", what allows the narrator to relax?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator wakes up in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", how does he feel about his interactions with the demons?
2. Where does the narrator of "The Dog and The Vial" get the perfume?
3. How does the narrator describe the dog after he smells the perfume in "The Dog and the Vial"?
4. What do the men say to the narrator when he asks them questions in "To Each His Chimera"?
5. In "The Old Woman's Despair", why does the woman visit the baby?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)