|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator follow the woman around all day in "The Widows"?
(a) He is fascinated with her.
(b) She owes him money.
(c) She asks him to.
(d) He thinks he knows her.
2. Why does the artist in "The Artist's Confiteor" decide he cannot describe nature?
(a) Because he has a limited vocabulary.
(b) Because he is blind.
(c) Because he hates it.
(d) Because it is too great.
3. Why does the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" turn down the ability to have everything of wealth?
(a) Because he is happy with what he has.
(b) Because he does not trust the demon.
(c) Because he wants a better offer.
(d) Because he does not enjoy making other miserable.
4. In "The Double Room", what wakes the narrator from his dream?
(a) A clap of thunder.
(b) The rising sun.
(c) A knock.
(d) A woman yelling.
5. How many devils visit the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame"?
6. In "The Foreigner", what does Baudelaire say about his father?
(a) He loves his.
(b) Baudelaire does not mention his father.
(c) He does not have one.
(d) He does not know his father.
7. How does the narrator of "The Clock" describe Feline?
8. What does the narrator ask the men in "To Each His Chimera"?
(a) When they found the chimeras.
(b) How heavy the chimeras are.
(c) Who is in control.
(d) Where they are going.
9. What does the dog do after smelling the perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
(a) He chases his tail.
(b) He licks the vial.
(c) He howls.
(d) He barks.
10. In the beginning of "At One in the Morning", how does the narrator feel about his life?
11. Why does the narrator not go to speak to the mountebank about his wares in "The Old Mountebank"?
(a) He does not like what he is selling.
(b) He does not have any money.
(c) He starts talking to a woman.
(d) He does not want to embarrass him.
12. What word does Baudelaire use to describe clouds in "The Foreigner"?
13. In "At One in the Morning", what allows the narrator to relax?
14. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what does the first demon offer the narrator?
(a) To protect him for the rest of his life.
(b) Three wishes.
(c) Unlimited wealth.
(d) To make him the lord of souls.
15. What does the poor child play with in "The Toy of the Poor"?
(a) A puppet.
(b) A dollar bill.
(c) A rat.
(d) A cup.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Bad Glazier", why does the narrator suppose demons take over people?
2. In "The Foreigner", what does Baudelaire say he does not know the latitude of?
3. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what color hair does the poet focus on?
4. Why does the man throw a chicken in "Evening Twilight"?
5. In "The Widows", what do the poor do with their grief?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)