|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what color hair does the poet focus on?
2. In "Crowds", what does the narrator give credit to for the people who stand out in a crowd?
(b) Good education.
3. In "The Old Woman's Despair", to what does the old woman compare herself?
(a) An empty house.
(b) A scarecrow.
(c) A wilted flower.
(d) A setting sun.
4. Why does Baudelaire mention clouds in "The Foreigner"?
(a) Because they send rain.
(b) Because they represent God.
(c) Because they are loved.
(d) Because they are not human.
5. In "A Joker", why does the man stop when he sees the donkey?
(a) Because the donkey looks hurt.
(b) To try to ride on the donkey.
(c) Because he is afraid of the donkey.
(d) To wish the donkey well.
6. How many devils visit the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame"?
7. In "The Foreigner", what does Baudelaire say he does not know the latitude of?
(a) His city.
(b) His mind.
(c) His abilities.
(d) His country.
8. In "The Clock", how do the Chinese tell time using cats?
(a) They watch their tails.
(b) They have them stare in the sun.
(c) They look into their eyes.
(d) They pet them.
9. Why does the narrator not go to speak to the mountebank about his wares in "The Old Mountebank"?
(a) He does not want to embarrass him.
(b) He starts talking to a woman.
(c) He does not have any money.
(d) He does not like what he is selling.
10. What does the narrator ask the men in "To Each His Chimera"?
(a) Where they are going.
(b) How heavy the chimeras are.
(c) Who is in control.
(d) When they found the chimeras.
11. In "The Fool and Venus", at what or where does the narrator notice Venus staring?
(a) Into the distance.
(b) At the jester.
(c) At himself.
(d) To the sky.
12. In "The Old Mountebank", how do the merchants try to get the customers' attention?
(a) They yell.
(b) They throw things at them.
(c) With colorful signs.
(d) With free samples.
13. In "The Double Room", what wakes the narrator from his dream?
(a) The rising sun.
(b) A knock.
(c) A woman yelling.
(d) A clap of thunder.
14. Why do the fairies in "The Fairies' Gifts" have to work quickly?
(a) The children they work with age quickly.
(b) They have a time limit.
(c) They naturally move fast.
(d) They will lose their powers if they slow down.
15. In "The Foreigner", to what is gold compared?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say the poor children will be wary in "The Toy of the Poor"?
2. In "At One in the Morning", what allows the narrator to relax?
3. What does the narrator call himself in "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress"?
4. Why does the narrator offer food to the strange man in "Cake"?
5. What does the poet say the first man died of "Evening Twilight"?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)