|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What or whom does the narrator of "The Clock" name Feline?
(a) A dog.
(b) A Chinese neighbor.
(c) A cat.
(d) A woman.
2. Where does the narrator of "The Dog and The Vial" get the perfume?
3. In "The Toy of the Poor", what separates the rich child from the poor?
(a) A hedge.
(c) A set of train tracks.
(d) A gate.
4. What does the strange man call "cake" in "Cake"?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) A piece of bread.
(c) A cake.
(d) A slice of pie.
5. Why does the narrator want something of color from the glazier in "The Bad Glazier"?
(a) To resell at the market.
(b) To decorate his bedroom.
(c) To give to his wife.
(d) To brighten up his life.
6. Why does the narrator suggest people should buy toys in "The Toy of the Poor"?
(a) To learn to invent toys.
(b) To keep the economy moving.
(c) To encourage more people to play.
(d) To give to unknown children.
7. In "The Widows", who does the narrator say visits public parks?
(a) People who are crippled by life.
(b) Women who can no longer think.
(c) Children who need to breathe free.
(d) Men who long for nature.
8. Why does the narrator follow the woman around all day in "The Widows"?
(a) She owes him money.
(b) He is fascinated with her.
(c) He thinks he knows her.
(d) She asks him to.
9. Why does the narrator say the poor children will be wary in "The Toy of the Poor"?
(a) Because they will think they are traps.
(b) Because they won't believe such luck.
(c) Because they have never known kind adults.
(d) Because they fear money.
10. How does the narrator of "The Clock" describe Feline?
11. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator describe about the room?
(a) The people inside.
(b) The feelings he has about the room.
(c) The physical appearance.
(d) The nature outside the room.
12. What does the dog do after smelling the perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
(a) He chases his tail.
(b) He howls.
(c) He licks the vial.
(d) He barks.
13. How does the fairy feel about the tradesman at the end of "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) She is in awe of him.
(b) She is confused by him.
(c) She is frightened of him.
(d) She is upset with him.
14. What does the baby boy do when he sees the old woman in "The Old Woman's Despair"?
(a) He crawls away.
(b) He cries.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He laughs.
15. How many devils visit the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Old Mountebank", how do the merchants try to get the customers' attention?
2. In "The Old Mountebank", what does the narrator first notice about the mountebank?
3. Why does the man throw a chicken in "Evening Twilight"?
4. In "The Foreigner", what emotions does Baudelaire tie to gold?
5. In "The Old Woman's Despair", to what does the old woman compare herself?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)