|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the strange man call "cake" in "Cake"?
(a) A piece of bread.
(b) None of the answers is correct.
(c) A slice of pie.
(d) A cake.
2. Why does the narrator follow the woman around all day in "The Widows"?
(a) He thinks he knows her.
(b) She owes him money.
(c) He is fascinated with her.
(d) She asks him to.
3. Why does the narrator want something of color from the glazier in "The Bad Glazier"?
(a) To resell at the market.
(b) To give to his wife.
(c) To decorate his bedroom.
(d) To brighten up his life.
4. What does the hair feel like in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair"?
5. Why does Baudelaire mention clouds in "The Foreigner"?
(a) Because they represent God.
(b) Because they send rain.
(c) Because they are loved.
(d) Because they are not human.
6. What does the baby boy do when he sees the old woman in "The Old Woman's Despair"?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He crawls away.
(c) He cries.
(d) He laughs.
7. In "The Clock", how do the Chinese tell time using cats?
(a) They watch their tails.
(b) They look into their eyes.
(c) They have them stare in the sun.
(d) They pet them.
8. Why does the narrator say the poor children will be wary in "The Toy of the Poor"?
(a) Because they won't believe such luck.
(b) Because they will think they are traps.
(c) Because they fear money.
(d) Because they have never known kind adults.
9. In "Crowds", what does the narrator give credit to for the people who stand out in a crowd?
(c) Good education.
10. How does the narrator of "The Fool and Venus" describe the day?
11. In "The Dog and The Vial", what does the narrator say the dog resembles?
(a) The elite.
(c) The public.
12. What or whom does the narrator of "The Clock" name Feline?
(a) A cat.
(b) A Chinese neighbor.
(c) A woman.
(d) A dog.
13. Why do the fairies in "The Fairies' Gifts" have to work quickly?
(a) They naturally move fast.
(b) They have a time limit.
(c) The children they work with age quickly.
(d) They will lose their powers if they slow down.
14. In "The Fool and Venus", what is the man dressed like a jester doing?
(a) Begging for money.
(b) Staring at a statue.
(c) Performing in a park.
(d) Drawing a picture.
15. In "The Foreigner", how is beauty described?
(a) As a goddess.
(b) As a game.
(c) As a fool.
(d) As a goal.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the poet describe the words "multitude" and "solitude" in "Crowds"?
2. In "The Double Room", what wakes the narrator from his dream?
3. What does the poet say the first man died of "Evening Twilight"?
4. In "The Old Woman's Despair", why does the woman visit the baby?
5. Why does the artist in "The Artist's Confiteor" decide he cannot describe nature?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)