|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Widows", what do the poor do with their grief?
(a) They try to hide it.
(b) They turn it into art.
(c) They express it aloud.
(d) They use it to avoid paying bills.
2. In "Crowds", what does the narrator give credit to for the people who stand out in a crowd?
(d) Good education.
3. Why does the narrator say the poor children will be wary in "The Toy of the Poor"?
(a) Because they have never known kind adults.
(b) Because they won't believe such luck.
(c) Because they fear money.
(d) Because they will think they are traps.
4. In "The Double Room", what wakes the narrator from his dream?
(a) The rising sun.
(b) A knock.
(c) A woman yelling.
(d) A clap of thunder.
5. What word does Baudelaire use to describe clouds in "The Foreigner"?
6. After the narrator wakes up in "The Double Room", what does he realize he must do?
(a) Take a vacation.
(b) Return to work.
(c) Pay bills.
(d) Go back to sleep.
7. Why does Baudelaire mention clouds in "The Foreigner"?
(a) Because they are not human.
(b) Because they are loved.
(c) Because they represent God.
(d) Because they send rain.
8. In "The Foreigner", what does Baudelaire say he does not know the latitude of?
(a) His abilities.
(b) His mind.
(c) His city.
(d) His country.
9. In "The Fool and Venus", at what or where does the narrator notice Venus staring?
(a) At himself.
(b) Into the distance.
(c) At the jester.
(d) To the sky.
10. What happens to the mountebank in "The Old Mountebank"?
(a) The narrator loses sight of him.
(b) He is arrested.
(c) He walks into a restaurant.
(d) He starts singing loudly.
11. In "The Foreigner", what does Baudelaire say about his father?
(a) Baudelaire does not mention his father.
(b) He does not know his father.
(c) He loves his.
(d) He does not have one.
12. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", where does the poet see "the languor of long hours"?
(a) In a park.
(b) In a bathtub.
(c) On a divan.
(d) On her bed.
13. How does the poet describe the words "multitude" and "solitude" in "Crowds"?
(a) As being identical.
(b) As being difficult to spell.
(c) As being opposites.
(d) As being painful.
14. In "To Arsène Houssaye", what does Baudelaire say this work lacks?
(a) Common sense.
(b) The touches of an editor.
(c) A head or tail.
15. What does the poor child play with in "The Toy of the Poor"?
(a) A dollar bill.
(b) A cup.
(c) A rat.
(d) A puppet.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator of "The Fool and Venus" describe the day?
2. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what color hair does the poet focus on?
3. What does the narrator call himself in "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress"?
4. Why does the narrator feel sympathy for the man dressed as a jester in "The Fool and Venus"?
5. What season does the poet reflect upon in "The Artist's Confiteor"?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)