|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the strange man call "cake" in "Cake"?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) A slice of pie.
(c) A cake.
(d) A piece of bread.
2. In "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress", what does the narrator describe as being in an iron cage?
(a) All women.
(c) Faith and beauty.
(d) A hairy monster.
3. In "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", what does the first demon offer the narrator?
(a) Unlimited wealth.
(b) Three wishes.
(c) To protect him for the rest of his life.
(d) To make him the lord of souls.
4. Of whom does the she-devil in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" remind the narrator?
(a) A woman in the pubs.
(b) A snake.
(c) His mother.
(d) Something gone bad.
5. In "The Widows", why is the woman by the gate not allowed in the concert?
(a) Because she has a child.
(b) Because she lacks money.
(c) Because she is poorly dressed.
(d) Because she is late.
6. What does the narrator drop on the glazier in "The Bad Glazier"?
(a) A picture frame.
(b) A book.
(c) A flowerpot.
(d) A brick.
7. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator call the woman on the bed?
8. How does the narrator of "The Clock" describe Feline?
9. What does the hair feel like in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair"?
10. In "The Foreigner", to what is gold compared?
11. Why does the artist in "The Artist's Confiteor" decide he cannot describe nature?
(a) Because he is blind.
(b) Because he hates it.
(c) Because he has a limited vocabulary.
(d) Because it is too great.
12. How does the poet describe the words "multitude" and "solitude" in "Crowds"?
(a) As being painful.
(b) As being identical.
(c) As being opposites.
(d) As being difficult to spell.
13. In "The Old Woman's Despair", to what does the old woman compare herself?
(a) A scarecrow.
(b) An empty house.
(c) A setting sun.
(d) A wilted flower.
14. What does Baudelaire say about friends in "The Foreigner"?
(a) He does not know the meaning.
(b) He only has a few.
(c) They are more important than family.
(d) They waste time.
15. Why does the narrator want something of color from the glazier in "The Bad Glazier"?
(a) To resell at the market.
(b) To give to his wife.
(c) To decorate his bedroom.
(d) To brighten up his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Foreigner", what does Baudelaire say he does not know the latitude of?
2. In the beginning of "At One in the Morning", how does the narrator feel about his life?
3. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator describe about the room?
4. In "The Widows", who does the narrator say visits public parks?
5. In "The Bad Glazier", why does the narrator suppose demons take over people?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)