|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator suggest people should buy toys in "The Toy of the Poor"?
(a) To keep the economy moving.
(b) To give to unknown children.
(c) To encourage more people to play.
(d) To learn to invent toys.
2. What does the narrator call himself in "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress"?
(a) The trainer.
(c) King Log.
(d) His Highness.
3. In "The Toy of the Poor", what separates the rich child from the poor?
(a) A gate.
(c) A set of train tracks.
(d) A hedge.
4. What does the baby boy do when he sees the old woman in "The Old Woman's Despair"?
(a) He crawls away.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He cries.
5. Why does the narrator offer food to the strange man in "Cake"?
(a) Because he looks like he needs it.
(b) The strange man just takes the food.
(c) Because he says he has a child who is hungry.
(d) Because he pays for it.
6. In "The Widows", who does the narrator say visits public parks?
(a) Children who need to breathe free.
(b) Women who can no longer think.
(c) Men who long for nature.
(d) People who are crippled by life.
7. In "The Old Woman's Despair", why does the woman visit the baby?
(a) To feel less lonely.
(b) To make sure the mother is ok.
(c) To bless him.
(d) To bring him joy.
8. In "The Fool and Venus", what is the man dressed like a jester doing?
(a) Performing in a park.
(b) Begging for money.
(c) Staring at a statue.
(d) Drawing a picture.
9. How does the narrator feel at the end of "Cake"?
10. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator call the woman on the bed?
11. In "The Bad Glazier", why does the narrator's friend start a forest fire?
(a) To see how quickly it spread.
(b) To frighten his wife.
(c) It is an accident.
(d) Because he falls asleep while smoking a cigar.
12. Why does the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" turn down the ability to have everything of wealth?
(a) Because he wants a better offer.
(b) Because he does not trust the demon.
(c) Because he is happy with what he has.
(d) Because he does not enjoy making other miserable.
13. In "The Widows", why is the woman by the gate not allowed in the concert?
(a) Because she has a child.
(b) Because she is late.
(c) Because she is poorly dressed.
(d) Because she lacks money.
14. In "The Foreigner", what does Baudelaire say about his father?
(a) He does not know his father.
(b) He does not have one.
(c) He loves his.
(d) Baudelaire does not mention his father.
15. In "At One in the Morning", what allows the narrator to relax?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Widows", what do the poor do with their grief?
2. In "To Arsène Houssaye", what does Baudelaire say this work lacks?
3. What do the men say to the narrator when he asks them questions in "To Each His Chimera"?
4. After the narrator wakes up in "The Double Room", what does he realize he must do?
5. In "Crowds", what does the narrator give credit to for the people who stand out in a crowd?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)