|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "To Each His Chimera", how does the narrator describe the chimera on the backs of the men?
(a) That they are invisible.
(b) That they are part of the men.
(c) That they are wings.
(d) That they are supporting the men.
2. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what color hair does the poet focus on?
3. How does the fairy feel about the tradesman at the end of "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) She is confused by him.
(b) She is in awe of him.
(c) She is upset with him.
(d) She is frightened of him.
4. What does the narrator of "A Joker" think of his society?
(a) That it is "growing poorer."
(b) That it is "well educated."
(c) That it is being taken over by animals.
(d) That it is a "splendid imbecile."
5. In "The Widows", who does the narrator say visits public parks?
(a) Children who need to breathe free.
(b) Women who can no longer think.
(c) Men who long for nature.
(d) People who are crippled by life.
6. How does the narrator of "The Clock" describe Feline?
7. What does the strange man call "cake" in "Cake"?
(a) A slice of pie.
(b) A piece of bread.
(c) None of the answers is correct.
(d) A cake.
8. What or whom does the narrator of "The Clock" name Feline?
(a) A Chinese neighbor.
(b) A woman.
(c) A dog.
(d) A cat.
9. How does the tradesman react to his child's gift in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) He tries to pay the fairy.
(b) He demands a better gift.
(c) He laughs at it.
(d) He wants the fairy to explain it to him.
10. In "To Each His Chimera", what color is the sky?
11. In "Crowds", what is the poet's gift?
(a) To be one and all.
(b) To be a crowd.
(c) To be an observer.
(d) To be educated.
12. In "A Joker", why does the man stop when he sees the donkey?
(a) Because he is afraid of the donkey.
(b) Because the donkey looks hurt.
(c) To try to ride on the donkey.
(d) To wish the donkey well.
13. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", where does the poet see "the languor of long hours"?
(a) On a divan.
(b) On her bed.
(c) In a park.
(d) In a bathtub.
14. Why does Baudelaire mention clouds in "The Foreigner"?
(a) Because they send rain.
(b) Because they are loved.
(c) Because they are not human.
(d) Because they represent God.
15. In "The Widows", why is the woman by the gate not allowed in the concert?
(a) Because she lacks money.
(b) Because she is poorly dressed.
(c) Because she has a child.
(d) Because she is late.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poet say the first man died of "Evening Twilight"?
2. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator call the woman on the bed?
3. Of whom does the she-devil in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" remind the narrator?
4. How is the scent of the hair in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair" described?
5. What does the baby boy do when he sees the old woman in "The Old Woman's Despair"?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)