|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Wild Woman and the Little Mistress", what bothers the narrator about the woman?
(a) She is poor.
(b) Her clothes are dirty.
(c) Her sister.
(d) She whines.
2. Why does the man throw a chicken in "Evening Twilight"?
(a) He had had too much to drink.
(b) He dislikes the way the chicken tastes.
(c) He is defending himself against an attacker.
(d) He thinks there is an offensive note in it.
3. In "The Foreigner", what does Baudelaire say he does not know the latitude of?
(a) His country.
(b) His abilities.
(c) His mind.
(d) His city.
4. In "The Old Woman's Despair", why does the woman visit the baby?
(a) To feel less lonely.
(b) To bring him joy.
(c) To make sure the mother is ok.
(d) To bless him.
5. Of whom does the she-devil in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" remind the narrator?
(a) A snake.
(b) His mother.
(c) Something gone bad.
(d) A woman in the pubs.
6. What happens to the mountebank in "The Old Mountebank"?
(a) He is arrested.
(b) He walks into a restaurant.
(c) The narrator loses sight of him.
(d) He starts singing loudly.
7. In "The Toy of the Poor", what separates the rich child from the poor?
(a) A hedge.
(b) A gate.
(c) A set of train tracks.
8. What or whom does the narrator of "The Clock" name Feline?
(a) A Chinese neighbor.
(b) A dog.
(c) A woman.
(d) A cat.
9. How does the narrator of "The Fool and Venus" describe the day?
10. How many devils visit the narrator of "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame"?
11. Who chooses the gifts the children receive in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) The children's parents.
(b) The children.
(c) A beast.
(d) The fairies.
12. In "Crowds", what is the poet's gift?
(a) To be one and all.
(b) To be a crowd.
(c) To be an observer.
(d) To be educated.
13. In "To Arsène Houssaye", what does the author say reading Aloysius Bertrand made him want to do?
(a) Become a journalist.
(b) Copy his style.
(c) Write a novel.
(d) Change his career.
14. What does the baby boy do when he sees the old woman in "The Old Woman's Despair"?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He crawls away.
(d) He cries.
15. In "The Foreigner", what emotion does Baudelaire discuss?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "To Each His Chimera", how does the narrator describe the chimera on the backs of the men?
2. How does the narrator of "The Clock" describe Feline?
3. What does the strange man call "cake" in "Cake"?
4. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator describe about the room?
5. Why does the artist in "The Artist's Confiteor" decide he cannot describe nature?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)