|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Fool and Venus", at what or where does the narrator notice Venus staring?
(a) At the jester.
(b) At himself.
(c) To the sky.
(d) Into the distance.
2. In "A Hemisphere in Her Hair", what color hair does the poet focus on?
3. In "The Toy of the Poor", what separates the rich child from the poor?
(a) A hedge.
(b) A set of train tracks.
(c) A gate.
4. In "The Widows", who does the narrator say visits public parks?
(a) People who are crippled by life.
(b) Children who need to breathe free.
(c) Women who can no longer think.
(d) Men who long for nature.
5. How does the tradesman react to his child's gift in "The Fairies' Gifts"?
(a) He wants the fairy to explain it to him.
(b) He laughs at it.
(c) He demands a better gift.
(d) He tries to pay the fairy.
6. In "The Old Woman's Despair", to what does the old woman compare herself?
(a) An empty house.
(b) A scarecrow.
(c) A wilted flower.
(d) A setting sun.
7. When the narrator wakes up in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame", how does he feel about his interactions with the demons?
(a) He regrets his decisions.
(b) He thinks it was just a joke.
(c) He is proud for being so moral.
(d) He cannot remember the demons.
8. What happens to the mountebank in "The Old Mountebank"?
(a) He walks into a restaurant.
(b) He starts singing loudly.
(c) The narrator loses sight of him.
(d) He is arrested.
9. In "The Clock", how do the Chinese tell time using cats?
(a) They look into their eyes.
(b) They watch their tails.
(c) They have them stare in the sun.
(d) They pet them.
10. What does the poor child play with in "The Toy of the Poor"?
(a) A cup.
(b) A dollar bill.
(c) A rat.
(d) A puppet.
11. Where does the poet glimpse men in "A Hemisphere in Her Hair"?
(a) A school.
(c) A port.
12. How does the narrator feel at the end of "Cake"?
13. What happens after the strange man in "Cake" has a piece of food?
(a) He throws it on the ground.
(b) The narrator takes it back.
(c) Another man attacks him.
(d) He eats it quickly.
14. In "The Foreigner", what emotion does Baudelaire discuss?
15. What does the dog do after smelling the perfume in "The Dog and The Vial"?
(a) He howls.
(b) He chases his tail.
(c) He barks.
(d) He licks the vial.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the narrator wakes up in "The Double Room", what does he realize he must do?
2. In "The Double Room", what does the narrator describe about the room?
3. Of whom does the she-devil in "The Temptations: Or, Eros, Plutus, and Fame" remind the narrator?
4. In "A Joker", why does the man stop when he sees the donkey?
5. How does the narrator of "The Clock" describe Feline?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)