|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eve leave to do at the beginning of Book 8?
2. Why is woman inferior to man?
3. What does Adam reluctantly agree for Eve to do?
4. What does the Son of God use to draw the circumference of Heaven and Earth?
5. What does Adam remind Eve in Book 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did God create another world?
2. How will Jesus save mankind?
3. Why does God create man and woman?
4. What does Adam see on the plain?
5. What does Raphael say is man's place in the world?
6. What do you think the Creation story illustrates about good and evil?
7. In what way does Raphael say woman is inferior to man?
8. What will happen when a tyrant rises?
9. What does Adam see in the field?
10. Why does Adam still feel hope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Milton's style. How long is each line and verse? What kind of language does Milton use? How does Milton develop a rhythm to the poem? What meaning does his style give the book?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the poem. Why do you think these themes are so important? How does Milton use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Satan destroys God's creation because he wants to be heard and not ordered. Do you think Milton represents God as someone who refuses to listen? Does God oppress Satan and his followers? Can you understand why Satan revolted against heaven?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)