|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did God send Raphael to Hell while he created earth?
2. Which character infects man?
3. Who does God order to drive man out of paradise?
4. Over what do Sin and Death build a bridge?
5. With what does Raphael say the Son of God goes forward?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Raphael say woman is inferior to man?
2. Why does Adam want Eve to stay with him?
3. What will be Adam and Eve's punishment?
4. Why does God not stop Satan from destroying paradise?
5. What does Adam see in the field?
6. How do the angels comfort Adam?
7. Why does Adam still feel hope?
8. How does the serpent explain his human speech?
9. What is Adam's reason for wanting a mate?
10. What does Raphael say is man's place in the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the Fall of Man story that the poem was based upon. What are the similarities between the poem and the story? How much has Milton changed the story? Does Milton's poem have a different meaning from the story in Genesis?
Essay Topic 2
What are the first examples of Satan in fiction? How has the the representation of Satan developed over the years? What are the differences between the representation of Satan in the 17th Century compared to today?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Milton represents Hell as he does? Is it more serious than modern day representations? What sort of tone does Milton's Hell give to the poem? How would this tone change if you swapped Milton's representation for a more modern day representation?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)