|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adam remind Eve in Book 9?
2. What does Adam realize is the highest victory?
3. What was the first thing Adam asked the animals?
4. Where do Moses and Aaron find their new nation?
5. What is happening to the people in the lazar-house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Satan's followers meet his announcement that they have destroyed God's creation?
2. Why does God create man and woman?
3. What do you think the Creation story illustrates about good and evil?
4. How does the serpent persuade Eve to eat from the tree?
5. What has Adam learned from his experience?
6. Why does Adam want Eve to stay with him?
7. Why does Adam also decide to eat the fruit?
8. What does Raphael say is man's place in the world?
9. How do the angels comfort Adam?
10. What will be Adam and Eve's punishment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two different settings in the novel and discuss how different characters act in different settings and the reasons why. For example, what is it about Paradise that makes Satan so uncomfortable?
Essay Topic 2
What are the first examples of Satan in fiction? How has the the representation of Satan developed over the years? What are the differences between the representation of Satan in the 17th Century compared to today?
Essay Topic 3
Satan destroys God's creation because he wants to be heard and not ordered. Do you think Milton represents God as someone who refuses to listen? Does God oppress Satan and his followers? Can you understand why Satan revolted against heaven?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)