|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Satan's followers respond to his victory?
2. What does the good man build in Book 11?
3. On what day does Satan find a way to sneak back to Eden?
4. What creature does Satan choose for his purpose?
5. From where does Adam claim men's woes spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. How will Jesus save mankind?
2. How do the angels comfort Adam?
3. In what way does Raphael say woman is inferior to man?
4. Why does God create man and woman?
5. Why does Adam also decide to eat the fruit?
6. Why does God not stop Satan from destroying paradise?
7. What will happen when a tyrant rises?
8. Why does Adam still feel hope?
9. How do Adam and Eve come to terms with leaving paradise?
10. In what way are angels similar to humans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Milton presents Satan's main problem as his pride. When does pride become destructive? Are people only proud of what they have achieved? How is Satan proud?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples to support your argument, discuss the following statement: "Milton's poem is not too close to the Bible story to express anything that is different."
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Milton represents Hell as he does? Is it more serious than modern day representations? What sort of tone does Milton's Hell give to the poem? How would this tone change if you swapped Milton's representation for a more modern day representation?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)