|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who names the animals?
2. How does the serpent claim he gained the gift of speech?
3. What two weapons is Michael carrying in Book 11?
4. What will God promise Abraham?
5. What is Eve amazed that the serpent can do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Satan's followers meet his announcement that they have destroyed God's creation?
2. In what way does Raphael say woman is inferior to man?
3. What do you think the Creation story illustrates about good and evil?
4. In what way are angels similar to humans?
5. What will be Adam and Eve's punishment?
6. What does Adam see in the field?
7. How does the serpent explain his human speech?
8. What is Adam's reason for wanting a mate?
9. How does the serpent persuade Eve to eat from the tree?
10. Why did God create another world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Milton represents Paradise as he does? Is it more serious than modern day representations? What sort of tone does Milton's Paradise give to the poem? How would this tone change if you swapped Milton's representation for a more modern day representation?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the Fall of Man story that the poem was based upon. What are the similarities between the poem and the story? How much has Milton changed the story? Does Milton's poem have a different meaning from the story in Genesis?
Essay Topic 3
Using examples to support your argument, discuss the following statement: "Milton's poem is not too close to the Bible story to express anything that is different."
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)