|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character infects man?
2. What three things does God create on the fifth day?
3. What does the Son of God use to draw the circumference of Heaven and Earth?
4. What reason does Adam give for hiding?
5. Where do Moses and Aaron find their new nation?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way are angels similar to humans?
2. What has Adam learned from his experience?
3. How do the angels comfort Adam?
4. Why does Adam still feel hope?
5. Why did God create another world?
6. What does Adam see on the plain?
7. What will be Adam and Eve's punishment?
8. How do Adam and Eve come to terms with leaving paradise?
9. What is Adam's reason for wanting a mate?
10. How will man get to the promised land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Milton wrote Paradise Lost in the 17th Century. Think about the world and, in particular, Britain during this period and discuss whether the book reflects what was happening.
1) What are the book's themes? Do they relate to Britain's political or social environment in the 17th Century? If so, how?
2) Is Milton's vision a direct result of what was happening in the world at that time?
Essay Topic 2
Paradise Lost is written in the third person. Why do you think Milton chose to write the poem in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the poem would have changed if it were written in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Milton represents Hell as he does? Is it more serious than modern day representations? What sort of tone does Milton's Hell give to the poem? How would this tone change if you swapped Milton's representation for a more modern day representation?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)