|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what tree does the serpent lead Eve?
2. With what is Michael to guard paradise?
3. What will happen when the church becomes corrupted?
4. What does the angel tell Adam a woman should never be allowed to do?
5. Why does Michael say the tyrant will build a tower?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Satan's followers meet his announcement that they have destroyed God's creation?
2. How does God create another world?
3. Why does Adam also decide to eat the fruit?
4. How does the serpent persuade Eve to eat from the tree?
5. How does the serpent explain his human speech?
6. How do Adam and Eve come to terms with leaving paradise?
7. What does Raphael say is man's place in the world?
8. What is Adam's reason for wanting a mate?
9. What does Adam see on the plain?
10. In what way are angels similar to humans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the poem. Why do you think these themes are so important? How does Milton use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Paradise lost is made up of 12 books. Examine the structure of the poem.
1) How does Milton develop the theme of good and evil?
2) Why do Milton actually mention that the story is changing into a tragedy?
3) How does the structure subvert what we already know about the story of the Fall of Man?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the impact of good and evil within our culture. Do the students think representations of good and evil have had a negative impact on society? Does the division of good and evil make things simpler than what they are? Does Milton subvert any ideas of good and evil in Paradise Lost. How much has the representation of good and evil changed since the 17th Century?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)