|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What creature does Satan choose for his purpose?
2. From whom does Eve prefer to learn?
3. What is happening to the people in the lazar-house?
4. What does Adam realize is the highest victory?
5. What does Adam say he has been comparing at the beginning of Book 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Adam also decide to eat the fruit?
2. Why does Adam still feel hope?
3. How does the serpent explain his human speech?
4. In what way are angels similar to humans?
5. What does Adam see in the field?
6. What do you think the Creation story illustrates about good and evil?
7. Why does Adam want Eve to stay with him?
8. How does God create another world?
9. What does Raphael say is man's place in the world?
10. How does the serpent persuade Eve to eat from the tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine blank verse.
1) What do you think blank verse expresses that other forms of poetry do not? How different would Paradise Lost be if it were written in lyrical form?
2) What kind of poets from the past and present have used blank verse? Why do you think though chose blank verse to express their ideas?
Essay Topic 2
Satan destroys God's creation because he wants to be heard and not ordered. Do you think Milton represents God as someone who refuses to listen? Does God oppress Satan and his followers? Can you understand why Satan revolted against heaven?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Milton represents Paradise as he does? Is it more serious than modern day representations? What sort of tone does Milton's Paradise give to the poem? How would this tone change if you swapped Milton's representation for a more modern day representation?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)