|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eve leave to do at the beginning of Book 8?
2. Where do Moses and Aaron find their new nation?
3. Who names the animals?
4. How do Satan's followers respond to his victory?
5. What does the Son of God use to draw the circumference of Heaven and Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How will Jesus save mankind?
2. Why does God not stop Satan from destroying paradise?
3. What is Adam's reason for wanting a mate?
4. How will man get to the promised land?
5. What does Adam see in the field?
6. How do the angels comfort Adam?
7. How do Satan's followers meet his announcement that they have destroyed God's creation?
8. How does the serpent explain his human speech?
9. Why does Adam want Eve to stay with him?
10. How does God create another world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Milton presents Satan's main problem as his pride. When does pride become destructive? Are people only proud of what they have achieved? How is Satan proud?
Essay Topic 2
Satan destroys God's creation because he wants to be heard and not ordered. Do you think Milton represents God as someone who refuses to listen? Does God oppress Satan and his followers? Can you understand why Satan revolted against heaven?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Satan and God.
1) Are they both black-and-white representations of good and evil or are they more complex?
2) What is their relationship to each other? Is their rivalry only Satan's side?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)