|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does God create when he divides the waters?
2. From where does Adam claim men's woes spring?
3. What does Eve leave to do at the beginning of Book 8?
4. How many days does Satan think it will take to destroy Eden?
5. Who does God order to drive man out of paradise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the Creation story illustrates about good and evil?
2. How does the serpent persuade Eve to eat from the tree?
3. What has Adam learned from his experience?
4. What does Adam see on the plain?
5. How does the serpent explain his human speech?
6. Why does Adam still feel hope?
7. Why does God create man and woman?
8. In what way are angels similar to humans?
9. Why did God create another world?
10. What will be Adam and Eve's punishment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the first examples of Satan in fiction? How has the the representation of Satan developed over the years? What are the differences between the representation of Satan in the 17th Century compared to today?
Essay Topic 2
What is blank verse? What meaning do the students think it can convey in comparison to lyric poetry? Why do the students think John Milton uses blank verse in Paradise Lost? What kind of texture does it give the poem?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters from the poem.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What are the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the poem change if the character were taken away?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)