|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does God create on the fifth day?
2. What is Eve amazed that the serpent can do?
3. What does the reaper use to beat the shepherd to death?
4. What does Eve leave to do at the beginning of Book 8?
5. What was the first thing Adam asked the animals?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the differences between the novel and poetry formats. What do the students think are the main elements of a novel? What do the students think are the main elements of a poem? What can novelists express that a poet cannot? How does a poet express deep character in so few words?
Essay Topic 2
Use examples from the poem to argue for or against the following statement: "Milton makes Satan a complex and almost likable character in order to express the complexity of good and evil."
Essay Topic 3
Examine Milton's style. How long is each line and verse? What kind of language does Milton use? How does Milton develop a rhythm to the poem? What meaning does his style give the book?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)