|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will man be cursed with if he eats from the tree of knowledge?
2. What is Eve amazed that the serpent can do?
3. What does Michael say will eventually happen to the church?
4. What does Eve think is the source of life?
5. How are the reaper and the shepherd related to Adam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Adam also decide to eat the fruit?
2. In what way does Raphael say woman is inferior to man?
3. What will happen when a tyrant rises?
4. How do the angels comfort Adam?
5. Why does God not stop Satan from destroying paradise?
6. Why does Adam want Eve to stay with him?
7. What does Adam see in the field?
8. Why does Adam still feel hope?
9. What is Adam's reason for wanting a mate?
10. What has Adam learned from his experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Milton presents Satan's main problem as his pride. When does pride become destructive? Are people only proud of what they have achieved? How is Satan proud?
Essay Topic 2
Paradise Lost is written in the third person. Why do you think Milton chose to write the poem in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the poem would have changed if it were written in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the Fall of Man story that the poem was based upon. What are the similarities between the poem and the story? How much has Milton changed the story? Does Milton's poem have a different meaning from the story in Genesis?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)