|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the angel tell Adam a woman should never be allowed to do?
2. What does Adam say he has been comparing at the beginning of Book 8?
3. What reason does the serpent give for God not allowing Eve to eat from the tree?
4. What does God say will happen to Adam if he eats from the tree of knowledge?
5. What does God say on the first day?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters from the poem.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What are the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the poem change if the character were taken away?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples to support your argument, discuss the following statement: "Milton's poem is not too close to the Bible story to express anything that is different."
Essay Topic 3
Paradise Lost is written in the third person. Why do you think Milton chose to write the poem in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the poem would have changed if it were written in the first person?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)