|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does God create when he divides the waters?
2. Which two brothers are sent to lead their people back to the promised land?
3. What does God say will happen to Adam if he eats from the tree of knowledge?
4. How does God punish the serpent?
5. What does Adam say he has been comparing at the beginning of Book 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adam see on the plain?
2. What will happen when a tyrant rises?
3. How will man get to the promised land?
4. What will be Adam and Eve's punishment?
5. What has Adam learned from his experience?
6. How does the serpent explain his human speech?
7. How will Jesus save mankind?
8. What does Raphael say is man's place in the world?
9. Why did God create another world?
10. Why does Adam want Eve to stay with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Satan destroys God's creation because he wants to be heard and not ordered. Do you think Milton represents God as someone who refuses to listen? Does God oppress Satan and his followers? Can you understand why Satan revolted against heaven?
Essay Topic 2
What are the first examples of Satan in fiction? How has the the representation of Satan developed over the years? What are the differences between the representation of Satan in the 17th Century compared to today?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Milton represents Paradise as he does? Is it more serious than modern day representations? What sort of tone does Milton's Paradise give to the poem? How would this tone change if you swapped Milton's representation for a more modern day representation?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)