|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does God create on the fifth day?
2. Whose help does the author go to for to continue the story?
3. From where does Adam claim men's woes spring?
4. Who does God order to drive man out of paradise?
5. What rescues the man from being killed in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Milton wrote Paradise Lost in the 17th Century. Think about the world and, in particular, Britain during this period and discuss whether the book reflects what was happening.
1) What are the book's themes? Do they relate to Britain's political or social environment in the 17th Century? If so, how?
2) Is Milton's vision a direct result of what was happening in the world at that time?
Essay Topic 2
What is blank verse? What meaning do the students think it can convey in comparison to lyric poetry? Why do the students think John Milton uses blank verse in Paradise Lost? What kind of texture does it give the poem?
Essay Topic 3
Paradise lost is made up of 12 books. Examine the structure of the poem.
1) How does Milton develop the theme of good and evil?
2) Why do Milton actually mention that the story is changing into a tragedy?
3) How does the structure subvert what we already know about the story of the Fall of Man?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)