|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What three things does God create on the fifth day?
2. Over what do Sin and Death build a bridge?
3. Who does Adam blame for eating the forbidden fruit?
4. How many days does Satan think it will take to destroy Eden?
5. What does the reaper use to beat the shepherd to death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Adam learned from his experience?
2. What does Adam see in the field?
3. How does God create another world?
4. How will Jesus save mankind?
5. What is Adam's reason for wanting a mate?
6. Why does Adam want Eve to stay with him?
7. Why does Adam also decide to eat the fruit?
8. How do Adam and Eve come to terms with leaving paradise?
9. Why does Adam still feel hope?
10. Why did God create another world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Satan and God.
1) Are they both black-and-white representations of good and evil or are they more complex?
2) What is their relationship to each other? Is their rivalry only Satan's side?
Essay Topic 2
What is blank verse? What meaning do the students think it can convey in comparison to lyric poetry? Why do the students think John Milton uses blank verse in Paradise Lost? What kind of texture does it give the poem?
Essay Topic 3
Paradise lost is made up of 12 books. Examine the structure of the poem.
1) How does Milton develop the theme of good and evil?
2) Why do Milton actually mention that the story is changing into a tragedy?
3) How does the structure subvert what we already know about the story of the Fall of Man?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)