|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Adam blame for eating the forbidden fruit?
2. After whose image has Eve been fashioned?
3. What does the Son of God use to draw the circumference of Heaven and Earth?
4. What will proclaim the savior's coming?
5. What does God create on the fifth day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did God create another world?
2. Why does God not stop Satan from destroying paradise?
3. Why does God create man and woman?
4. In what way does Raphael say woman is inferior to man?
5. What will happen when a tyrant rises?
6. What will be Adam and Eve's punishment?
7. How will man get to the promised land?
8. What does Adam see in the field?
9. Why does Adam want Eve to stay with him?
10. How does the serpent persuade Eve to eat from the tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Satan and God.
1) Are they both black-and-white representations of good and evil or are they more complex?
2) What is their relationship to each other? Is their rivalry only Satan's side?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Milton represents Paradise as he does? Is it more serious than modern day representations? What sort of tone does Milton's Paradise give to the poem? How would this tone change if you swapped Milton's representation for a more modern day representation?
Essay Topic 3
What is blank verse? What meaning do the students think it can convey in comparison to lyric poetry? Why do the students think John Milton uses blank verse in Paradise Lost? What kind of texture does it give the poem?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)