|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time do Adam and Eve agree to meet?
2. How does God punish the serpent?
3. What will God curse to gain revenge on the tyrant and his followers?
4. What is Eve amazed that the serpent can do?
5. What punishment does God give Eve?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the serpent persuade Eve to eat from the tree?
2. Why does Adam still feel hope?
3. How will man get to the promised land?
4. What has Adam learned from his experience?
5. Why does God create man and woman?
6. In what way are angels similar to humans?
7. What does Adam see in the field?
8. Why does Adam want Eve to stay with him?
9. What will be Adam and Eve's punishment?
10. Why does God not stop Satan from destroying paradise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Milton wrote Paradise Lost in the 17th Century. Think about the world and, in particular, Britain during this period and discuss whether the book reflects what was happening.
1) What are the book's themes? Do they relate to Britain's political or social environment in the 17th Century? If so, how?
2) Is Milton's vision a direct result of what was happening in the world at that time?
Essay Topic 2
Paradise Lost is written in the third person. Why do you think Milton chose to write the poem in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the poem would have changed if it were written in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Satan destroys God's creation because he wants to be heard and not ordered. Do you think Milton represents God as someone who refuses to listen? Does God oppress Satan and his followers? Can you understand why Satan revolted against heaven?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)