|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adam realize is the highest victory?
2. What does Michael say the tyrant and his followers will build?
3. On what day does Satan find a way to sneak back to Eden?
4. What will happen when the church becomes corrupted?
5. Who does Adam blame for eating the forbidden fruit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the serpent explain his human speech?
2. What does Adam see in the field?
3. What does Adam see on the plain?
4. How does God create another world?
5. What is Adam's reason for wanting a mate?
6. How do the angels comfort Adam?
7. What do you think the Creation story illustrates about good and evil?
8. Why does Adam also decide to eat the fruit?
9. How do Satan's followers meet his announcement that they have destroyed God's creation?
10. What does Raphael say is man's place in the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Milton presents Satan's main problem as his pride. When does pride become destructive? Are people only proud of what they have achieved? How is Satan proud?
Essay Topic 2
Use examples from the poem to argue for or against the following statement: "Milton makes Satan a complex and almost likable character in order to express the complexity of good and evil."
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Milton represents Paradise as he does? Is it more serious than modern day representations? What sort of tone does Milton's Paradise give to the poem? How would this tone change if you swapped Milton's representation for a more modern day representation?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)