|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Satan's followers respond to his victory?
2. What will God promise Abraham?
3. What two weapons is Michael carrying in Book 11?
4. What will proclaim the savior's coming?
5. By whom has the poet been inspired?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adam see in the field?
2. Why does Adam also decide to eat the fruit?
3. How will Jesus save mankind?
4. How do the angels comfort Adam?
5. What does Raphael say is man's place in the world?
6. In what way does Raphael say woman is inferior to man?
7. Why did God create another world?
8. Why does Adam want Eve to stay with him?
9. How will man get to the promised land?
10. How do Adam and Eve come to terms with leaving paradise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the Fall of Man story that the poem was based upon. What are the similarities between the poem and the story? How much has Milton changed the story? Does Milton's poem have a different meaning from the story in Genesis?
Essay Topic 2
Use examples from the poem to argue for or against the following statement: "Milton makes Satan a complex and almost likable character in order to express the complexity of good and evil."
Essay Topic 3
Examine blank verse.
1) What do you think blank verse expresses that other forms of poetry do not? How different would Paradise Lost be if it were written in lyrical form?
2) What kind of poets from the past and present have used blank verse? Why do you think though chose blank verse to express their ideas?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)