|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eve leave to do at the beginning of Book 8?
2. What does the reaper use to beat the shepherd to death?
3. What does God say will happen to Adam if he eats from the tree of knowledge?
4. What will man be cursed with if he eats from the tree of knowledge?
5. From who will the new nation spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adam see in the field?
2. What is Adam's reason for wanting a mate?
3. Why did God create another world?
4. Why does God create man and woman?
5. How will Jesus save mankind?
6. How do Adam and Eve come to terms with leaving paradise?
7. What do you think the Creation story illustrates about good and evil?
8. In what way does Raphael say woman is inferior to man?
9. Why does God not stop Satan from destroying paradise?
10. Why does Adam also decide to eat the fruit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples to support your argument, discuss the following statement: "Milton's poem is not too close to the Bible story to express anything that is different."
Essay Topic 2
Compare Satan and God.
1) Are they both black-and-white representations of good and evil or are they more complex?
2) What is their relationship to each other? Is their rivalry only Satan's side?
Essay Topic 3
Use examples from the poem to argue for or against the following statement: "Milton makes Satan a complex and almost likable character in order to express the complexity of good and evil."
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)