|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the housekeeper of Lallybroch fix for Murtagh to eat?
2. Which object does the box of Jamie's personal effects, brought by the prison employee in Part 7, Chapter 35, NOT contain?
3. What is the name of the housekeeper at Jamie's home?
4. What is Claire doing at the beginning of Part 5, Chapter 32?
5. What is the name of the boy who was supposed to gather all the cattle before a coming storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Franciscan priest teach Claire to do during the night when she is not sleeping?
2. When Claire goes to sees Jamie in the beginning of Part 7, Chapter 39, Murtagh stops her before she gets to the door and tells her what?
3. When Claire meets the Franciscan priest in Part 7, Chapter 38, where is the priest going?
4. How does Claire break the lock on Jamie's chains?
5. According to the man whom Jenny questions, how did Jamie escape the Watch?
6. Why did the Watch not kill Ian when they captured Jamie?
7. What is Geillis Duncan's message for Claire?
8. When Claire first finds Jamie in Part 7, Chapter 35, why does he look so haggard despite apparently not having been beaten?
9. As Jenny tells the others, what did she do when she realized that Captain Randall was unable to rape her?
10. How did the young Alex MacGregor die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the coherence of this novel with respect to plot. Do you think the author wrote a strong novel, or does she introduce elements and never incorporate them successfully?
Essay Topic 2
Remember the minor incident of Frank's seeing the ghost in Chapter 1. Does the scene make sense in light of the rest of the novel, or did the author simply introduce an event and then abandon it? Interpret the scene using your best literary-critical know-how.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the few chapters in which Jamie serves as laird of Lallybroch. Do you think the confidence and capability you see in him as a leader in those chapters carries over into later chapters, or does he develop into a leader for a moment and then revert to his ruffian self afterward?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)