|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the first girl Jamie kissed?
2. As the beginning of Part 7, Chapter 41 mentions, where does Claire think she and Jamie might go after he heals?
3. What does MacRannoch send Jamie to give to Claire?
4. In Part 5, Chapter 27, who offers to gather some apples in the orchard for Jenny?
5. In Part 6, Chapter 34, where do Claire and Murtagh think Jamie is going?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Claire first finds Jamie in Part 7, Chapter 35, why does he look so haggard despite apparently not having been beaten?
2. How does Claire react when she feels the baby moving in Jenny's belly?
3. What happened when Jamie told his father that corporal punishment was "barbarous"?
4. What does the Franciscan priest teach Claire to do during the night when she is not sleeping?
5. How does Claire's companion keep Claire from having to talk to the English soldiers and betray her English accent?
6. When Claire goes to sees Jamie in the beginning of Part 7, Chapter 39, Murtagh stops her before she gets to the door and tells her what?
7. How does Claire break the lock on Jamie's chains?
8. Why does Jamie feel so dirty and unable to touch Claire?
9. Describe Jamie's home.
10. What is the gift that Claire has for Jamie at the end of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting in a few different scenes in the novel. How does the setting work with the characters to move the plot forward? How does the setting inhibit the characters' action?
Essay Topic 2
Describe two major themes that occur throughout the novel, and explicate the ways in which the author discusses them.
Essay Topic 3
Villainy is a strong theme in this novel. Compare Captain Randall with Dougal and with Wentworth Prison. How are the three similar? How is Captain Randall the villain par excellence? Is there any moment in which the reader can feel compassion for Captain Randall, or is he unmitigatedly evil? Can the reader feel compassion or sympathy for Dougal or for Wentworth Prison in some way?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)