|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jamie's clan's motto?
2. What is the first medical procedure that Claire performs in her new surroundings?
3. What is the name of the place that Dougal and his band consider home?
4. According to the story he tells to Claire, what did Jamie eat one winter when he was starving?
5. After Captain Randall hits Claire in the stomach, what does she drink in Part 3, Chapter 13, to help steady her nerves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the man Claire first meets when she wakes up in Part 1, Chapter 3.
2. What unexpected event happens while Claire and Jamie are making love in the woods in Part 3, Chapter 20?
3. Describe the wedding ring that Jamie gives Claire.
4. How does Jamie prove that Claire is not a witch?
5. According to Geillis, why did Laoghaire leave the bad luck charm under Claire's pillow?
6. Why does Jamie not let Alec see his back?
7. What does Frank ask Claire about her behavior during the war?
8. Why does Geillis Duncan tell Claire not to help the abandoned baby?
9. Describe one unusual ritual that occurs in Part 3, Chapter 14.
10. Describe the Scottish women's early morning ritual on the hill, as Claire observes it in Part 1, Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Claire's relationship with religion throughout the story, making sure to mention her upbringing with Uncle Lamb, the rosary incident in the witch trial, and her experiences with Father Anselm at the end of the novel. How does religion grow and change inside Claire?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Claire and Jenny. How are they similar and different in their understanding of Jamie? How do they treat their husbands? How do they handle stress?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Father Anselm to some of the other monks. Why does he suggest that Claire choose a different priest for her confessor? Why does Claire choose him nonetheless?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)