|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chapter 25 begins, where are Claire and Geillis Duncan?
2. What horse do Jamie and Claire take when they leave Castle Leoch?
3. According to Part 3, Chapter 12, what is the destination of the group's trip to collect rent from their lands?
4. How old was Jamie when his mother died?
5. Where does Dougal's group camp in Part 3, Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 5, how does Claire determine what year it is?
2. What does Frank ask Claire about her behavior during the war?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 11, what does Jamie do after Dougal finishes making each speech in the various villages?
4. According to Geillis, why did Laoghaire leave the bad luck charm under Claire's pillow?
5. What unexpected event happens while Claire and Jamie are making love in the woods in Part 3, Chapter 20?
6. Describe the wedding ring that Jamie gives Claire.
7. Describe the normal events of the Gathering.
8. What happens in Part 3, Chapter 19, to make Peter run away in fright?
9. Why does Jamie immediately ask Colum Mackenzie for his share of the rent?
10. By the end of Part 3, Chapter 16, what has Jamie deduced about Claire's origins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Murtagh and his role as a minor character throughout the novel. What do you know about him? How does he propel the plot forward?
Essay Topic 2
Although Mrs. MacNab only appears in two chapters, she serves as a highly effective foil to the Redcoats' menacing potential, but also as the reason Jamie is betrayed by his own clansman. Describe the role of Mrs. MacNab in the story. How would the plot have floundered or have turned out differently without her?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Frank Randall and Captain Jonathan Randall. How does Claire initially respond to Captain Randall, given that he looks so much like Frank? Does Captain Randall's treachery eventually affect Claire's memory of Frank? Support your opinions with details from the story.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)