|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Geillis Duncan's husband?
2. Whom does Claire see unexpectedly at the end of Part 3, Chapter 20?
3. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 8, which character leaves the supper table in a rage?
4. What gift does Colum Mackenzie give Claire in Part 4, Chapter 24?
5. When Claire is observing Jamie in Part 3, Chapter 15, to what biblical character does she liken him?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of Part 3, Chapter 16, what has Jamie deduced about Claire's origins?
2. Why does Jamie sleep in the hall in front of Claire's door in Part 3, Chapter 12?
3. Describe the Scottish women's early morning ritual on the hill, as Claire observes it in Part 1, Chapter 2.
4. What does Frank ask Claire about her behavior during the war?
5. Why does Dougal tell Claire the details of Jamie's flogging?
6. Describe the ring that Claire gives back to Jamie after Chapter 14's major event.
7. Why does Geillis Duncan tell Claire not to help the abandoned baby?
8. Why does Jamie immediately ask Colum Mackenzie for his share of the rent?
9. Describe the reason that Jamie is an outlaw.
10. As Jenny tells Jamie, why did Captain Randall not rape her when he had the chance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the few chapters in which Jamie serves as laird of Lallybroch. Do you think the confidence and capability you see in him as a leader in those chapters carries over into later chapters, or does he develop into a leader for a moment and then revert to his ruffian self afterward?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Claire and Jenny. How are they similar and different in their understanding of Jamie? How do they treat their husbands? How do they handle stress?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Claire's two marriages, particularly her compatibility with Frank and with Jamie. Do you think she made the right decision when she chose to stay with Jamie? Why or why not?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)