|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies in Part 4, Chapter 24?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 22, Claire notes that the play of light on Jamie's face makes him look like what?
3. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 8, which character leaves the supper table in a rage?
4. What type of weapon does Rupert teach Claire to use in Part 3, Chapter 18?
5. How much money does Jamie receive from the Mackenzie rents per quarter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Scottish women's early morning ritual on the hill, as Claire observes it in Part 1, Chapter 2.
2. According to Geillis, why did Laoghaire leave the bad luck charm under Claire's pillow?
3. What does Jamie do to Claire in Part 3, Chapter 22, in response to Claire's having tried to escape?
4. As Claire reveals to Jamie, how did she know Arthur Duncan's immediate cause of death?
5. Describe the reason that Jamie is an outlaw.
6. Who are the men who attack Dougal's group in Part 3, Chapter 18, and why do they attack the group?
7. Describe the wedding ring that Jamie gives Claire.
8. In Part 3, Chapter 17, why does Jamie cross himself when the plover flies away?
9. Why does Jamie sleep in the hall in front of Claire's door in Part 3, Chapter 12?
10. Why is Captain Randall startled when Claire mentions the Duke of Sandringham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Colum and Dougal Mackenzie present a fascinating image of the dual leadership of a clan. What responsibilities does each brother have, and who do you think ultimately makes the more convincing leader? Describe each character in as much detail as you can, and then explain his behavior through the lens of those character sketches.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the setting of Scotland in the 1940s and Scotland in the 1740s. How are they similar? How are they different? What are the elements that are present in each, and what elements only occur in one setting or the other?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Claire's two marriages, particularly her compatibility with Frank and with Jamie. Do you think she made the right decision when she chose to stay with Jamie? Why or why not?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)