|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what clan was Jamie's mother?
2. What is the name of Colum's bard?
3. To what gem does Claire compare Jamie's eyes in Part 3, Chapter 16?
4. What disease does Colum Mackenzie have?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 22, Claire notes that the play of light on Jamie's face makes him look like what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Geillis, why did Laoghaire leave the bad luck charm under Claire's pillow?
2. Why does Geillis Duncan tell Claire not to help the abandoned baby?
3. What unexpected event happens while Claire and Jamie are making love in the woods in Part 3, Chapter 20?
4. Describe the man Claire first meets when she wakes up in Part 1, Chapter 3.
5. Why does Geordie die?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 5, how does Claire determine what year it is?
7. What happens in Part 3, Chapter 19, to make Peter run away in fright?
8. In Part 3, Chapter 11, what does Jamie do after Dougal finishes making each speech in the various villages?
9. Why does Jamie sleep in the hall in front of Claire's door in Part 3, Chapter 12?
10. In Part 3, Chapter 17, why does Jamie cross himself when the plover flies away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens in the scene in which Claire pretends to be Captain Randall in order to exorcise the terror from Jamie? Is she successful? How much does she endanger herself in those moments? Do you think the scene makes sense within the rest of the novel and within Claire's character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Claire's relationship with religion throughout the story, making sure to mention her upbringing with Uncle Lamb, the rosary incident in the witch trial, and her experiences with Father Anselm at the end of the novel. How does religion grow and change inside Claire?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the coherence of this novel with respect to plot. Do you think the author wrote a strong novel, or does she introduce elements and never incorporate them successfully?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)