|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jamie's clan's motto?
2. Which book does Claire find in the surgery?
3. In Part 4, Chapter 24, Claire reveals to Jamie that she is how old?
4. What does the Watch do?
5. According to the story he tells to Claire, what did Jamie eat one winter when he was starving?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jamie glad that Claire is barren?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 5, how does Claire determine what year it is?
3. How does Jamie prove that Claire is not a witch?
4. Why does Dougal tell Claire the details of Jamie's flogging?
5. According to the man whom Jenny questions, how did Jamie escape the Watch?
6. Who are the men who attack Dougal's group in Part 3, Chapter 18, and why do they attack the group?
7. Why does Jamie not let Alec see his back?
8. How did the young Alex MacGregor die?
9. What does Frank ask Claire about her behavior during the war?
10. As the reader finds out in Part 7, Chapter 37, why has Jamie been so loath to go to France, much less to America?
Essay Topic 1
Compare Claire's two marriages, particularly her compatibility with Frank and with Jamie. Do you think she made the right decision when she chose to stay with Jamie? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the setting of Scotland in the 1940s and Scotland in the 1740s. How are they similar? How are they different? What are the elements that are present in each, and what elements only occur in one setting or the other?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Frank Randall and Captain Jonathan Randall. How does Claire initially respond to Captain Randall, given that he looks so much like Frank? Does Captain Randall's treachery eventually affect Claire's memory of Frank? Support your opinions with details from the story.
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)