|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the immense scarring on Jamie's back?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 18, who amuses the group by telling stories of waterhorses?
3. What does Jamie use to beat Claire?
4. What is Jamie's cousin, Alexander Fraser, by way of profession?
5. What is the name of the character with whom Claire shares a horse in Part 1, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the normal events of the Gathering.
2. Describe the wedding ring that Jamie gives Claire.
3. As Jenny tells Jamie, why did Captain Randall not rape her when he had the chance?
4. Describe the ring that Claire gives back to Jamie after Chapter 14's major event.
5. By the end of Part 3, Chapter 16, what has Jamie deduced about Claire's origins?
6. What does Frank ask Claire about her behavior during the war?
7. Who are the men who attack Dougal's group in Part 3, Chapter 18, and why do they attack the group?
8. Describe the reason that Jamie is an outlaw.
9. Describe the Scottish women's early morning ritual on the hill, as Claire observes it in Part 1, Chapter 2.
10. According to Geillis, why did Laoghaire leave the bad luck charm under Claire's pillow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the few chapters in which Jamie serves as laird of Lallybroch. Do you think the confidence and capability you see in him as a leader in those chapters carries over into later chapters, or does he develop into a leader for a moment and then revert to his ruffian self afterward?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of violence in the story. Do you find Claire's acceptance of violence respectable, given the circumstances, or do you find it distasteful?
Essay Topic 3
Describe two major themes that occur throughout the novel, and explicate the ways in which the author discusses them.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)