|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What herb is Claire hunting when she meets Geillis Duncan?
2. Of what clan was Jamie's mother?
3. What injures Father Bain in Part 4, Chapter 24?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 24, Claire reveals to Jamie that she is how old?
5. What caused the immense scarring on Jamie's back?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jamie receive the beating instead of Laoghaire, when she is accused of loose behavior in Part 2, Chapter 6?
2. Who are the men who attack Dougal's group in Part 3, Chapter 18, and why do they attack the group?
3. What does Frank ask Claire about her behavior during the war?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 11, what does Jamie do after Dougal finishes making each speech in the various villages?
5. Why does Jamie immediately ask Colum Mackenzie for his share of the rent?
6. Describe the Scottish women's early morning ritual on the hill, as Claire observes it in Part 1, Chapter 2.
7. As Jenny tells Jamie, why did Captain Randall not rape her when he had the chance?
8. Why does Geordie die?
9. Describe the ring that Claire gives back to Jamie after Chapter 14's major event.
10. What happens in Part 3, Chapter 19, to make Peter run away in fright?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Claire's behavior as a woman in the 1940s and in the 1740s. In which setting does she appear more competent? In which setting does she appear more at ease or more natural? Do you think she adapts easily to a new culture, or does she continue to make cultural errors throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Claire's relationship with religion throughout the story, making sure to mention her upbringing with Uncle Lamb, the rosary incident in the witch trial, and her experiences with Father Anselm at the end of the novel. How does religion grow and change inside Claire?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Claire and Jenny. How are they similar and different in their understanding of Jamie? How do they treat their husbands? How do they handle stress?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)