|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "mo duinne" mean?
2. Whom does Claire see unexpectedly at the end of Part 3, Chapter 20?
3. Who taught Jamie to fight left-handed?
4. How many children do Jenny and her husband have, including the one who is as yet unborn?
5. What does Claire call the surgery in which she works?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Geordie die?
2. Describe the Scottish women's early morning ritual on the hill, as Claire observes it in Part 1, Chapter 2.
3. Describe the ring that Claire gives back to Jamie after Chapter 14's major event.
4. As Claire reveals to Jamie, how did she know Arthur Duncan's immediate cause of death?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 17, why does Jamie cross himself when the plover flies away?
6. Describe one unusual ritual that occurs in Part 3, Chapter 14.
7. Why does Jamie immediately ask Colum Mackenzie for his share of the rent?
8. What causes Claire to break down crying at the end of Part 1, Chapter 4?
9. As Jenny tells Jamie, why did Captain Randall not rape her when he had the chance?
10. What does Frank ask Claire about her behavior during the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of violence in the story. Do you find Claire's acceptance of violence respectable, given the circumstances, or do you find it distasteful?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Claire's two marriages, particularly her compatibility with Frank and with Jamie. Do you think she made the right decision when she chose to stay with Jamie? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the setting of Scotland in the 1940s and Scotland in the 1740s. How are they similar? How are they different? What are the elements that are present in each, and what elements only occur in one setting or the other?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)