Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Claire at the opening of Part 3, Chapter 21?
2. What does "Broch Tuarach" mean?
3. What gift does Colum Mackenzie give Claire in Part 4, Chapter 24?
4. What injures Father Bain in Part 4, Chapter 24?
5. With what offense is the tanner's lad charged in Part 2, Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of Part 3, Chapter 16, what has Jamie deduced about Claire's origins?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 11, what does Jamie do after Dougal finishes making each speech in the various villages?
3. Describe the ring that Claire gives back to Jamie after Chapter 14's major event.
4. Why does Jamie feel so dirty and unable to touch Claire?
5. What does the Franciscan priest teach Claire to do during the night when she is not sleeping?
6. When Claire first finds Jamie in Part 7, Chapter 35, why does he look so haggard despite apparently not having been beaten?
7. Why does Jamie receive the beating instead of Laoghaire, when she is accused of loose behavior in Part 2, Chapter 6?
8. Describe the Redcoat Claire chases in Part 7, Chapter 37.
9. How did the young Alex MacGregor die?
10. How do Claire and her group get Jamie out of prison?
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes of the novel is healing. Choose two or three scenes or symbols of healing from within the novel, and compare and contrast them. Remember that you may choose any scene or symbol, no matter how obscure, if you can defend your belief in its viability for this discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of violence in the story. Do you find Claire's acceptance of violence respectable, given the circumstances, or do you find it distasteful?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Frank Randall and Captain Jonathan Randall. How does Claire initially respond to Captain Randall, given that he looks so much like Frank? Does Captain Randall's treachery eventually affect Claire's memory of Frank? Support your opinions with details from the story.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)