|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "mo duinne" mean?
2. Claire realizes that which character has also arrived in the eighteenth century from a different time?
3. What excuse does Jamie give Dougal when he and Claire want to slip away to make love?
4. When Chapter 25 begins, where are Claire and Geillis Duncan?
5. What horse do Jamie and Claire take when they leave Castle Leoch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frank ask Claire about her behavior during the war?
2. By the end of Part 3, Chapter 16, what has Jamie deduced about Claire's origins?
3. Why does Jamie immediately ask Colum Mackenzie for his share of the rent?
4. Describe the normal events of the Gathering.
5. Describe the Duke of Sandringham.
6. What does Jamie do to Claire in Part 3, Chapter 22, in response to Claire's having tried to escape?
7. Describe the ring that Claire gives back to Jamie after Chapter 14's major event.
8. As Claire reveals to Jamie, how did she know Arthur Duncan's immediate cause of death?
9. Describe the wedding ring that Jamie gives Claire.
10. In Part 3, Chapter 17, why does Jamie cross himself when the plover flies away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Claire and Jenny. How are they similar and different in their understanding of Jamie? How do they treat their husbands? How do they handle stress?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the setting of Scotland in the 1940s and Scotland in the 1740s. How are they similar? How are they different? What are the elements that are present in each, and what elements only occur in one setting or the other?
Essay Topic 3
Jenny's pregnancy provides the opportunity for an extended use of metaphor in Chapter 30. Describe the author's use of metaphor and its strategical importance in describing an abstract concept. Do you think Jenny could have described pregnancy to her male listeners without using metaphor? Why or why not?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)