|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reads Claire's fortune?
2. According to Dougal's story of Jamie's flogging, what did Jamie steal immediately before he attempted to escape Captain Randall and his garrison?
3. To what gem does Claire compare Jamie's eyes in Part 3, Chapter 16?
4. Which book does Claire find in the surgery?
5. With what offense is the tanner's lad charged in Part 2, Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jamie carry a dried mole's foot with him at all times?
2. As Jenny tells the others, what did she do when she realized that Captain Randall was unable to rape her?
3. Why does Geordie die?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 11, what does Jamie do after Dougal finishes making each speech in the various villages?
5. Describe the ring that Claire gives back to Jamie after Chapter 14's major event.
6. How do Claire and her group get Jamie out of prison?
7. As Jamie tells Claire in Part 7, Chapter 41, why did he ask her to let him die in the immediate aftermath of his escape from Wentworth Prison?
8. By the end of Part 3, Chapter 16, what has Jamie deduced about Claire's origins?
9. Why does Geillis Duncan tell Claire not to help the abandoned baby?
10. What is the gift that Claire has for Jamie at the end of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of violence in the story. Do you find Claire's acceptance of violence respectable, given the circumstances, or do you find it distasteful?
Essay Topic 2
Although Mrs. MacNab only appears in two chapters, she serves as a highly effective foil to the Redcoats' menacing potential, but also as the reason Jamie is betrayed by his own clansman. Describe the role of Mrs. MacNab in the story. How would the plot have floundered or have turned out differently without her?
Essay Topic 3
What happens in the scene in which Claire pretends to be Captain Randall in order to exorcise the terror from Jamie? Is she successful? How much does she endanger herself in those moments? Do you think the scene makes sense within the rest of the novel and within Claire's character?
This section contains 1,433 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)