|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Colum Mackenzie's son?
2. What does "Broch Tuarach" mean?
3. What is Claire's middle name?
4. What instrument is used at a witch trial to determine whether a witch can feel pain?
5. When the men and Claire leave the castle to collect rent from the surrounding lands in Part 3, Chapter 11, who is the leader of the group?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the man Claire first meets when she wakes up in Part 1, Chapter 3.
2. As Jenny tells the others, what did she do when she realized that Captain Randall was unable to rape her?
3. As Jamie tells Claire in Part 7, Chapter 41, why did he ask her to let him die in the immediate aftermath of his escape from Wentworth Prison?
4. What unexpected event happens while Claire and Jamie are making love in the woods in Part 3, Chapter 20?
5. When Claire first finds Jamie in Part 7, Chapter 35, why does he look so haggard despite apparently not having been beaten?
6. When Claire meets the Franciscan priest in Part 7, Chapter 38, where is the priest going?
7. What is Geillis Duncan's message for Claire?
8. As Claire reveals to Jamie, how did she know Arthur Duncan's immediate cause of death?
9. How does Claire's companion keep Claire from having to talk to the English soldiers and betray her English accent?
10. How does Jamie prove that Claire is not a witch?
Essay Topic 1
Describe two major themes that occur throughout the novel, and explicate the ways in which the author discusses them.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Claire's two marriages, particularly her compatibility with Frank and with Jamie. Do you think she made the right decision when she chose to stay with Jamie? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Colum and Dougal Mackenzie present a fascinating image of the dual leadership of a clan. What responsibilities does each brother have, and who do you think ultimately makes the more convincing leader? Describe each character in as much detail as you can, and then explain his behavior through the lens of those character sketches.
This section contains 1,421 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)