|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of nuisance startles Claire in Part 3, Chapter 23?
2. What type of weapon does Rupert teach Claire to use in Part 3, Chapter 18?
3. Who reads Claire's fortune?
4. How long has Dougal been married to his wife?
5. Who argues on Claire's behalf at the witch trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of Part 3, Chapter 16, what has Jamie deduced about Claire's origins?
2. Describe the normal events of the Gathering.
3. In Part 3, Chapter 11, what does Jamie do after Dougal finishes making each speech in the various villages?
4. Describe one unusual ritual that occurs in Part 3, Chapter 14.
5. What happens in Part 3, Chapter 19, to make Peter run away in fright?
6. Who are the men who attack Dougal's group in Part 3, Chapter 18, and why do they attack the group?
7. Describe the Duke of Sandringham.
8. Why does Jamie receive the beating instead of Laoghaire, when she is accused of loose behavior in Part 2, Chapter 6?
9. What causes Claire to break down crying at the end of Part 1, Chapter 4?
10. Why is Captain Randall startled when Claire mentions the Duke of Sandringham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe two major themes that occur throughout the novel, and explicate the ways in which the author discusses them.
Essay Topic 2
Colum and Dougal Mackenzie present a fascinating image of the dual leadership of a clan. What responsibilities does each brother have, and who do you think ultimately makes the more convincing leader? Describe each character in as much detail as you can, and then explain his behavior through the lens of those character sketches.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting in a few different scenes in the novel. How does the setting work with the characters to move the plot forward? How does the setting inhibit the characters' action?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)