|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Frank and Claire go to observe the Scottish women's ancient rituals?
2. What does Claire call the surgery in which she works?
3. In Part 4, Chapter 24, Claire reveals to Jamie that she is how old?
4. What herb is Claire hunting when she meets Geillis Duncan?
5. What is Jamie's cousin, Alexander Fraser, by way of profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe one unusual ritual that occurs in Part 3, Chapter 14.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 5, how does Claire determine what year it is?
3. What unexpected event happens while Claire and Jamie are making love in the woods in Part 3, Chapter 20?
4. By the end of Part 3, Chapter 16, what has Jamie deduced about Claire's origins?
5. Describe the Duke of Sandringham.
6. As Jenny tells Jamie, why did Captain Randall not rape her when he had the chance?
7. Describe the normal events of the Gathering.
8. Why does Jamie sleep in the hall in front of Claire's door in Part 3, Chapter 12?
9. What happens in Part 3, Chapter 19, to make Peter run away in fright?
10. Describe the reason that Jamie is an outlaw.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Frank Randall and Captain Jonathan Randall. How does Claire initially respond to Captain Randall, given that he looks so much like Frank? Does Captain Randall's treachery eventually affect Claire's memory of Frank? Support your opinions with details from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Although Mrs. MacNab only appears in two chapters, she serves as a highly effective foil to the Redcoats' menacing potential, but also as the reason Jamie is betrayed by his own clansman. Describe the role of Mrs. MacNab in the story. How would the plot have floundered or have turned out differently without her?
Essay Topic 3
Colum and Dougal Mackenzie present a fascinating image of the dual leadership of a clan. What responsibilities does each brother have, and who do you think ultimately makes the more convincing leader? Describe each character in as much detail as you can, and then explain his behavior through the lens of those character sketches.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)