|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jamie's clan's motto?
2. What is the name of the fearsome stallion that is too wild to be ridden?
3. Claire realizes that which character has also arrived in the eighteenth century from a different time?
4. What is the name of the mute character with whom Jamie has a conversation in Part 3, Chapter 17?
5. Geillis Duncan reveals that Arthur died of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jamie prove that Claire is not a witch?
2. What does Frank ask Claire about her behavior during the war?
3. Who are the men who attack Dougal's group in Part 3, Chapter 18, and why do they attack the group?
4. Why does Jamie immediately ask Colum Mackenzie for his share of the rent?
5. Why is Captain Randall startled when Claire mentions the Duke of Sandringham?
6. In Part 3, Chapter 17, why does Jamie cross himself when the plover flies away?
7. Why does Jamie not let Alec see his back?
8. According to Geillis, why did Laoghaire leave the bad luck charm under Claire's pillow?
9. What unexpected event happens while Claire and Jamie are making love in the woods in Part 3, Chapter 20?
10. Why does Geordie die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Claire's two marriages, particularly her compatibility with Frank and with Jamie. Do you think she made the right decision when she chose to stay with Jamie? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Although Mrs. MacNab only appears in two chapters, she serves as a highly effective foil to the Redcoats' menacing potential, but also as the reason Jamie is betrayed by his own clansman. Describe the role of Mrs. MacNab in the story. How would the plot have floundered or have turned out differently without her?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Claire's behavior as a woman in the 1940s and in the 1740s. In which setting does she appear more competent? In which setting does she appear more at ease or more natural? Do you think she adapts easily to a new culture, or does she continue to make cultural errors throughout the novel?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)