|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Dougal been married to his wife?
2. In the opening paragraphs of Part 1, Chapter 5, who awakens Claire?
3. What is the name of Jamie's brother-in-law?
4. What is the name of the Englishman whom Jamie is going to meet?
5. What does Claire call the surgery in which she works?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jamie not let Alec see his back?
2. As Jenny tells Jamie, why did Captain Randall not rape her when he had the chance?
3. What does Jamie do to Claire in Part 3, Chapter 22, in response to Claire's having tried to escape?
4. Describe the man Claire first meets when she wakes up in Part 1, Chapter 3.
5. Who are the men who attack Dougal's group in Part 3, Chapter 18, and why do they attack the group?
6. Why does Geillis Duncan tell Claire not to help the abandoned baby?
7. In Part 3, Chapter 11, what does Jamie do after Dougal finishes making each speech in the various villages?
8. Describe one unusual ritual that occurs in Part 3, Chapter 14.
9. Describe the Duke of Sandringham.
10. What unexpected event happens while Claire and Jamie are making love in the woods in Part 3, Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Remember the minor incident of Frank's seeing the ghost in Chapter 1. Does the scene make sense in light of the rest of the novel, or did the author simply introduce an event and then abandon it? Interpret the scene using your best literary-critical know-how.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the setting of Scotland in the 1940s and Scotland in the 1740s. How are they similar? How are they different? What are the elements that are present in each, and what elements only occur in one setting or the other?
Essay Topic 3
Although Mrs. MacNab only appears in two chapters, she serves as a highly effective foil to the Redcoats' menacing potential, but also as the reason Jamie is betrayed by his own clansman. Describe the role of Mrs. MacNab in the story. How would the plot have floundered or have turned out differently without her?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)