|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Claire receive from Munro?
2. What is the name of the character with whom Claire shares a horse in Part 1, Chapter 3?
3. Who sees Claire watching the water creature in Part 3, Chapter 19?
4. What is the name of the place that Dougal and his band consider home?
5. What is the name of Jamie's brother-in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jamie not let Alec see his back?
2. What unexpected event happens while Claire and Jamie are making love in the woods in Part 3, Chapter 20?
3. How does Jamie prove that Claire is not a witch?
4. Describe the man Claire first meets when she wakes up in Part 1, Chapter 3.
5. Who are the men who attack Dougal's group in Part 3, Chapter 18, and why do they attack the group?
6. Why does Dougal tell Claire the details of Jamie's flogging?
7. Describe the wedding ring that Jamie gives Claire.
8. Describe the reason that Jamie is an outlaw.
9. What happens in Part 3, Chapter 19, to make Peter run away in fright?
10. Why is Captain Randall startled when Claire mentions the Duke of Sandringham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Villainy is a strong theme in this novel. Compare Captain Randall with Dougal and with Wentworth Prison. How are the three similar? How is Captain Randall the villain par excellence? Is there any moment in which the reader can feel compassion for Captain Randall, or is he unmitigatedly evil? Can the reader feel compassion or sympathy for Dougal or for Wentworth Prison in some way?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Claire's two marriages, particularly her compatibility with Frank and with Jamie. Do you think she made the right decision when she chose to stay with Jamie? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the coherence of this novel with respect to plot. Do you think the author wrote a strong novel, or does she introduce elements and never incorporate them successfully?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)