|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Claire at the opening of Part 3, Chapter 21?
2. What does "Broch Tuarach" mean?
3. What gift does Colum Mackenzie give Claire in Part 4, Chapter 24?
4. What injures Father Bain in Part 4, Chapter 24?
5. With what offense is the tanner's lad charged in Part 2, Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of Part 3, Chapter 16, what has Jamie deduced about Claire's origins?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 11, what does Jamie do after Dougal finishes making each speech in the various villages?
3. Describe the ring that Claire gives back to Jamie after Chapter 14's major event.
4. Why does Jamie feel so dirty and unable to touch Claire?
5. What does the Franciscan priest teach Claire to do during the night when she is not sleeping?
6. When Claire first finds Jamie in Part 7, Chapter 35, why does he look so haggard despite apparently not having been beaten?
7. Why does Jamie receive the beating instead of Laoghaire, when she is accused of loose behavior in Part 2, Chapter 6?
8. Describe the Redcoat Claire chases in Part 7, Chapter 37.
9. How did the young Alex MacGregor die?
10. How do Claire and her group get Jamie out of prison?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Claire's behavior as a woman in the 1940s and in the 1740s. In which setting does she appear more competent? In which setting does she appear more at ease or more natural? Do you think she adapts easily to a new culture, or does she continue to make cultural errors throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Claire's relationship with religion throughout the story, making sure to mention her upbringing with Uncle Lamb, the rosary incident in the witch trial, and her experiences with Father Anselm at the end of the novel. How does religion grow and change inside Claire?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the few chapters in which Jamie serves as laird of Lallybroch. Do you think the confidence and capability you see in him as a leader in those chapters carries over into later chapters, or does he develop into a leader for a moment and then revert to his ruffian self afterward?
This section contains 1,410 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)