|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children do Jenny and her husband have, including the one who is as yet unborn?
2. What is the main event of Part 3, Chapter 14?
3. With what offense is the tanner's lad charged in Part 2, Chapter 9?
4. What is the name of the Englishman whom Jamie is going to meet?
5. In what country is this novel set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unexpected event happens while Claire and Jamie are making love in the woods in Part 3, Chapter 20?
2. Why does Jamie sleep in the hall in front of Claire's door in Part 3, Chapter 12?
3. As Claire reveals to Jamie, how did she know Arthur Duncan's immediate cause of death?
4. Why does Jamie not let Alec see his back?
5. As Jenny tells Jamie, why did Captain Randall not rape her when he had the chance?
6. Who are the men who attack Dougal's group in Part 3, Chapter 18, and why do they attack the group?
7. Describe the reason that Jamie is an outlaw.
8. In Part 3, Chapter 17, why does Jamie cross himself when the plover flies away?
9. What does Jamie do to Claire in Part 3, Chapter 22, in response to Claire's having tried to escape?
10. Describe the normal events of the Gathering.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Mrs. MacNab only appears in two chapters, she serves as a highly effective foil to the Redcoats' menacing potential, but also as the reason Jamie is betrayed by his own clansman. Describe the role of Mrs. MacNab in the story. How would the plot have floundered or have turned out differently without her?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Claire and Jenny. How are they similar and different in their understanding of Jamie? How do they treat their husbands? How do they handle stress?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Frank Randall and Captain Jonathan Randall. How does Claire initially respond to Captain Randall, given that he looks so much like Frank? Does Captain Randall's treachery eventually affect Claire's memory of Frank? Support your opinions with details from the story.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)