|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Claire live after the age of five?
2. How many children do Jenny and her husband have, including the one who is as yet unborn?
3. Who is Jamie's coworker in tending the horses?
4. What is the name of Jamie's brother-in-law?
5. According to Dougal's story of Jamie's flogging, what did Jamie steal immediately before he attempted to escape Captain Randall and his garrison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jamie sleep in the hall in front of Claire's door in Part 3, Chapter 12?
2. Why does Jamie receive the beating instead of Laoghaire, when she is accused of loose behavior in Part 2, Chapter 6?
3. What unexpected event happens while Claire and Jamie are making love in the woods in Part 3, Chapter 20?
4. What does Jamie do to Claire in Part 3, Chapter 22, in response to Claire's having tried to escape?
5. Describe the normal events of the Gathering.
6. Describe the ring that Claire gives back to Jamie after Chapter 14's major event.
7. What happens in Part 3, Chapter 19, to make Peter run away in fright?
8. In Part 1, Chapter 5, how does Claire determine what year it is?
9. In Part 3, Chapter 17, why does Jamie cross himself when the plover flies away?
10. Why does Geillis Duncan tell Claire not to help the abandoned baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Mrs. MacNab only appears in two chapters, she serves as a highly effective foil to the Redcoats' menacing potential, but also as the reason Jamie is betrayed by his own clansman. Describe the role of Mrs. MacNab in the story. How would the plot have floundered or have turned out differently without her?
Essay Topic 2
Jenny's pregnancy provides the opportunity for an extended use of metaphor in Chapter 30. Describe the author's use of metaphor and its strategical importance in describing an abstract concept. Do you think Jenny could have described pregnancy to her male listeners without using metaphor? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Murtagh and his role as a minor character throughout the novel. What do you know about him? How does he propel the plot forward?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)