|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 24, Claire reveals to Jamie that she is how old?
2. What is Jamie's cousin, Alexander Fraser, by way of profession?
3. What does the Watch do?
4. What gift does Colum Mackenzie give Claire in Part 4, Chapter 24?
5. What gift does Claire receive from Munro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Claire to break down crying at the end of Part 1, Chapter 4?
2. Describe the man Claire first meets when she wakes up in Part 1, Chapter 3.
3. As Claire reveals to Jamie, how did she know Arthur Duncan's immediate cause of death?
4. What happens in Part 3, Chapter 19, to make Peter run away in fright?
5. Why does Dougal tell Claire the details of Jamie's flogging?
6. Why does Jamie not let Alec see his back?
7. Describe the wedding ring that Jamie gives Claire.
8. Why does Jamie receive the beating instead of Laoghaire, when she is accused of loose behavior in Part 2, Chapter 6?
9. Describe the ring that Claire gives back to Jamie after Chapter 14's major event.
10. Why does Geordie die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the coherence of this novel with respect to plot. Do you think the author wrote a strong novel, or does she introduce elements and never incorporate them successfully?
Essay Topic 2
Villainy is a strong theme in this novel. Compare Captain Randall with Dougal and with Wentworth Prison. How are the three similar? How is Captain Randall the villain par excellence? Is there any moment in which the reader can feel compassion for Captain Randall, or is he unmitigatedly evil? Can the reader feel compassion or sympathy for Dougal or for Wentworth Prison in some way?
Essay Topic 3
Colum and Dougal Mackenzie present a fascinating image of the dual leadership of a clan. What responsibilities does each brother have, and who do you think ultimately makes the more convincing leader? Describe each character in as much detail as you can, and then explain his behavior through the lens of those character sketches.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)