|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Claire live after the age of five?
2. To what gem does Claire compare Jamie's eyes in Part 3, Chapter 16?
3. What herb is Claire hunting when she meets Geillis Duncan?
4. What is the name of the Englishman whom Jamie is going to meet?
5. What is the name of Castle Leoch's previous healer?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Jenny tells Jamie, why did Captain Randall not rape her when he had the chance?
2. What does Jamie do to Claire in Part 3, Chapter 22, in response to Claire's having tried to escape?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 17, why does Jamie cross himself when the plover flies away?
4. Describe the normal events of the Gathering.
5. Describe one unusual ritual that occurs in Part 3, Chapter 14.
6. Describe the Scottish women's early morning ritual on the hill, as Claire observes it in Part 1, Chapter 2.
7. Why does Dougal tell Claire the details of Jamie's flogging?
8. Describe the wedding ring that Jamie gives Claire.
9. In Part 1, Chapter 5, how does Claire determine what year it is?
10. Describe the ring that Claire gives back to Jamie after Chapter 14's major event.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Claire's behavior as a woman in the 1940s and in the 1740s. In which setting does she appear more competent? In which setting does she appear more at ease or more natural? Do you think she adapts easily to a new culture, or does she continue to make cultural errors throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the coherence of this novel with respect to plot. Do you think the author wrote a strong novel, or does she introduce elements and never incorporate them successfully?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Father Anselm to some of the other monks. Why does he suggest that Claire choose a different priest for her confessor? Why does Claire choose him nonetheless?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)