|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the place that Dougal and his band consider home?
2. How many children do Jenny and her husband have, including the one who is as yet unborn?
3. Of what clan was Jamie's mother?
4. What is the name of Colum's bard?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 24, Claire reveals to Jamie that she is how old?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Captain Randall startled when Claire mentions the Duke of Sandringham?
2. What unexpected event happens while Claire and Jamie are making love in the woods in Part 3, Chapter 20?
3. As Claire reveals to Jamie, how did she know Arthur Duncan's immediate cause of death?
4. Who are the men who attack Dougal's group in Part 3, Chapter 18, and why do they attack the group?
5. Describe the Scottish women's early morning ritual on the hill, as Claire observes it in Part 1, Chapter 2.
6. By the end of Part 3, Chapter 16, what has Jamie deduced about Claire's origins?
7. Why does Dougal tell Claire the details of Jamie's flogging?
8. Describe one unusual ritual that occurs in Part 3, Chapter 14.
9. According to Geillis, why did Laoghaire leave the bad luck charm under Claire's pillow?
10. Describe the ring that Claire gives back to Jamie after Chapter 14's major event.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Claire's two marriages, particularly her compatibility with Frank and with Jamie. Do you think she made the right decision when she chose to stay with Jamie? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the setting of Scotland in the 1940s and Scotland in the 1740s. How are they similar? How are they different? What are the elements that are present in each, and what elements only occur in one setting or the other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of violence in the story. Do you find Claire's acceptance of violence respectable, given the circumstances, or do you find it distasteful?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)