|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the housekeeper at Jamie's home?
(a) Mrs. Mackenzie.
(b) Mrs. Horrocks.
(c) Mrs. Crook.
(d) Mrs. Fitzgibbons.
2. Who helps Claire bring down Jamie's fever?
(a) Brother Ambrose.
(b) Brother Bartolome.
(c) Brother Polydore.
(d) Father Anselm.
3. As Jamie relates in Part 7, Chapter 39, when Captain Randall was beginning to torture him, what did Randall do first with the knife?
(a) Cut off his smallest toe.
(b) Nick his ear.
(c) Cut a shallow wound across his chest.
(d) Stab him in the hand.
4. Claire realizes that any other doctor of the day would have fixed Jamie's hand by which method?
(a) Transplanting toes.
(b) A plaster cast.
(c) Salve and balm.
5. What does Claire kill while she is escaping Wentworth Prison?
(a) A wolf.
(b) A bear.
(c) A feral cat.
(d) Captain Randall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of fish do the fish pools at the abbey contain?
2. How old was Jamie when his father first beat him as punishment?
3. Who remains in the room with Jamie and Claire when Jenny and Ian go to bed in Part 5, Chapter 30?
4. According to Ian, what direction did the Watch take Jamie in Part 5, Chapter 33?
5. Of what did Jamie's brother Willie die?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Claire meets the Franciscan priest in Part 7, Chapter 38, where is the priest going?
2. When Claire first finds Jamie in Part 7, Chapter 35, why does he look so haggard despite apparently not having been beaten?
3. What is Geillis Duncan's message for Claire?
4. What does the Franciscan priest teach Claire to do during the night when she is not sleeping?
5. Why did the Watch not kill Ian when they captured Jamie?
6. How does Claire's companion keep Claire from having to talk to the English soldiers and betray her English accent?
7. What is the gift that Claire has for Jamie at the end of the novel?
8. How does Claire react when she feels the baby moving in Jenny's belly?
9. Describe the Redcoat Claire chases in Part 7, Chapter 37.
10. What happened when Jamie told his father that corporal punishment was "barbarous"?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)