|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Ian and Jamie are discussing business in Part 5, Chapter 30, what is Claire doing?
(a) Washing clothes.
(b) Grinding medicines with a mortar and pestle.
(d) Writing recipes.
2. What does Claire use to break the lock on the chains that bind Jamie?
(a) An axe.
(b) A knife.
(c) A wooden plank.
(d) A mallet.
3. Which monk tends Jamie's wounds?
(a) Brother Francis.
(b) Brother Ambrose.
(c) Abbot Alexander.
(d) Father Valentine.
4. What time of year is it at the end of the novel?
(b) Late winter.
5. What is Claire doing at the beginning of Part 5, Chapter 32?
(a) Harvesting corydalis tubers.
(b) Weeding her asparagus patch.
(c) Making beeswax candles.
(d) Grinding medicines with her mortar and pestle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many daughters does Dougal have?
2. Which monk tends the abbey's greenhouse expertly, including watching over the growth of medicinal herbs?
3. What does Claire drink when she wakes up in Part 7, Chapter 40?
4. Who helps Claire bring down Jamie's fever?
5. According to Jamie's story to Claire, what did Randall give him to drink when he returned after having freed Claire from Wentworth Prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 6, Chapter 34, why is Murtagh carrying Claire's medicine box?
2. As Jamie tells Claire in Part 7, Chapter 41, why did he ask her to let him die in the immediate aftermath of his escape from Wentworth Prison?
3. When Claire goes to sees Jamie in the beginning of Part 7, Chapter 39, Murtagh stops her before she gets to the door and tells her what?
4. As the reader finds out in Part 7, Chapter 37, why has Jamie been so loath to go to France, much less to America?
5. How does Claire's companion keep Claire from having to talk to the English soldiers and betray her English accent?
6. According to the man whom Jenny questions, how did Jamie escape the Watch?
7. Why is Jamie glad that Claire is barren?
8. According to Jenny, why do men make love to women?
9. How do Claire and her group get Jamie out of prison?
10. In Part 7, Chapter 40, when Jamie continues his story of what happened between Captain Randall and him, what does he say Randall wanted?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)