|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the women does the photographer shoot pictures of?
2. What dance do the women do after dinner at the hospice?
3. Canoe notes that ___________ are especially frightened by the hounds.
4. What happened to Him when making an escape from the Center?
5. What does Louise wear to have her pictures taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the sad Christmas spent by the women at the hospice.
2. How do Judy's friends integrate and make themselves welcome with the other hospice guests?
3. How did Viv sell herself out by giving in to societal norms?
4. Why are the women meeting at the hospice?
5. What do the women mean about the beginning of the end?
6. Why is Viv's "beginning of the end" most significant for all the women?
7. Describe the scenario of Louise's photo shoot and the reactions of the other women present.
8. What topics do the women discuss in their group meeting today?
9. Who is the popular child-rearing expert whose advice the women closely follow?
10. What does Louise share about Him trying to escape from the Center?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the warriors in the chapter entitled "Warriors"? Is it immediately clear who they are? Why does the author call them by this name? What battle are they waging? Are they winning the war? Are there any characters who do not fall into the category of warriors? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study on Canoe. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Walbert use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)