|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are the daughters of the women in the group?
2. When does Viv tell her mentors that she plans to marry?
3. Where do the women assemble for their meeting?
4. What does Barbara place side-by-side in this section?
5. Where does Viv take any further classes?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the nature of this book and why the author created it the way she did. Why did she choose to create a collection of short stories to tell the women's stories? Is it effective? How is it different from reading a regular novel? How is it the same?
Essay Topic 2
Esther is clearly different from all the other women in the group. Describe Esther's role in the story and why the author chose to insert her character, even if for just a short while, in the novel. What can the other women learn from Esther? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
As you might expect from the title, the author provides the perspective of how girls and women view the world. Choose two situations in the book which also involve men or boys and create a brief synopsis of how the males viewed the same situations.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)