|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the women waiting for outside?
2. Canoe notes that ___________ are especially frightened by the hounds.
3. What is the name of Viv's husband?
4. Viv allows herself to muse silently about ___________________ and Cilla Whitney.
5. What does the instructor ask Viv to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Walbert use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Esther is clearly different from all the other women in the group. Describe Esther's role in the story and why the author chose to insert her character, even if for just a short while, in the novel. What can the other women learn from Esther? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Him with Pips Phelp. What are their roles within the group of women? What is the trust factor with the women? What are the reasons the women love each of these men who are so dramatically different?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)