|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barbara place side-by-side in this section?
2. Where does Canoe stop so the girls can model their hats?
3. Who is the child-rearing expert most trusted by the women?
4. How well does Viv know Don when they marry?
5. What is a popular character-building tenet when it comes to raising children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason for the party Canoe is hosting today?
2. Why does the photographer leave and then return?
3. What do the women mean about the beginning of the end?
4. Who is the popular child-rearing expert whose advice the women closely follow?
6. How did Viv sell herself out by giving in to societal norms?
7. Explain the metaphor of the fox and the foxhunt.
8. Why are the women meeting at the hospice?
9. What is the main entertainment at the birthday party?
10. What is the setting of this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1950s. Why would Viv's friends consider her ex-husband, Clark, to be less of a person because of his presumed homosexuality? How does the group of women accept the lesbian relationship of Carmen and Suzie several years later?
Essay Topic 2
Develop a character study of Him. What are his physical characteristics? What emotional hold does he hold over all the women? What does he signify in the women's lives?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study on Barbara. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)