|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the child-rearing expert most trusted by the women?
2. What does Judy say she killed once in Mexico?
3. What does Barbara have to showcase her marriage to Charles in 1953?
4. Which of the women leads the book club discussion?
5. What type of fox is in the hunt today?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the group meeting at the hospice end on this day?
2. Describe the sad Christmas spent by the women at the hospice.
3. What is the setting for this section?
4. Who is the popular child-rearing expert whose advice the women closely follow?
5. What do the girls and women do after they have had sandwiches and cake?
6. Why will the women spend Christmas at the hospice?
7. What do the women discuss about the properties of words and lines they read?
8. Why does the photographer leave and then return?
9. What does Louise share about Him trying to escape from the Center?
10. How does Viv reconcile leaving school and getting married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by giving her book this title? Does it imply exclusivity or ostracizing? Do the women feel proud to be one of "our kind"?
Essay Topic 2
Develop a character study of Him. What are his physical characteristics? What emotional hold does he hold over all the women? What does he signify in the women's lives?
Essay Topic 3
What do the women mean by "Beginning of the End" when they tell each other their life stories? Viv is the last to tell her "Beginning of the End" story and it seems most appropriate for all the women whose endings actually began at the beginnings. What does the author mean by this?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)