|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louise wear to have her pictures taken?
2. With all the women, the beginning of the end came ____________________________.
3. What does Gay gather during the foxhunt?
4. What do the women drink after the photographer leaves?
5. Canoe comments that the hounds will ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the women mean about the beginning of the end?
2. What was Viv's decision-making process about her life's direction?
3. What is the significance of the girls flirting with the boys in the park?
4. How does Viv reconcile leaving school and getting married?
5. What do the girls and women do after they have had sandwiches and cake?
6. Describe the scenario of Louise's photo shoot and the reactions of the other women present.
7. How did Viv sell herself out by giving in to societal norms?
8. How does the author exhibit the circle of life in this section?
9. How does the group meeting at the hospice end on this day?
10. What do the women discuss about the properties of words and lines they read?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1950s. Why would Viv's friends consider her ex-husband, Clark, to be less of a person because of his presumed homosexuality? How does the group of women accept the lesbian relationship of Carmen and Suzie several years later?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the warriors in the chapter entitled "Warriors"? Is it immediately clear who they are? Why does the author call them by this name? What battle are they waging? Are they winning the war? Are there any characters who do not fall into the category of warriors? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study on Canoe. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)