|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Viv allows herself to muse silently about ___________________ and Cilla Whitney.
2. Which of the women leads the book club discussion?
3. What does Canoe give Anne?
4. Why does the photographer return to the house?
5. What did Louise name her daughter in deference to her husband's wishes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Viv's decision-making process about her life's direction?
2. What is Canoe's latest initiative for the women?
3. What is the reason for the party Canoe is hosting today?
4. How does Louise's photo shoot come to an end?
5. How does Viv reconcile leaving school and getting married?
6. What is the setting for this section?
7. Why will the women spend Christmas at the hospice?
8. How do Judy's friends integrate and make themselves welcome with the other hospice guests?
9. What do the girls and women do after they have had sandwiches and cake?
10. What do the women discuss about the properties of words and lines they read?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As you might expect from the title, the author provides the perspective of how girls and women view the world. Choose two situations in the book which also involve men or boys and create a brief synopsis of how the males viewed the same situations.
Essay Topic 2
Develop a character study of Him. What are his physical characteristics? What emotional hold does he hold over all the women? What does he signify in the women's lives?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by giving her book this title? Does it imply exclusivity or ostracizing? Do the women feel proud to be one of "our kind"?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)