|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Don given Viv just the week before?
2. Canoe comments that the hounds will ______________________.
3. Louise states that one of her favorite names is ____________.
4. Where had Viv been enrolled in college?
5. What is not one of the things Professor Dipple and Cilla Whitney ask Viv when she wants to leave school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the group meeting at the hospice end on this day?
2. What do the women mean about the beginning of the end?
3. Why is Viv's "beginning of the end" most significant for all the women?
4. Why does the photographer leave and then return?
5. How did Viv sell herself out by giving in to societal norms?
6. How do the women feel about their lives since giving birth to their daughters?
7. Describe the sad Christmas spent by the women at the hospice.
8. Who is the popular child-rearing expert whose advice the women closely follow?
9. What do the women discuss about the properties of words and lines they read?
10. How do Judy's friends integrate and make themselves welcome with the other hospice guests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Him with Pips Phelp. What are their roles within the group of women? What is the trust factor with the women? What are the reasons the women love each of these men who are so dramatically different?
Essay Topic 2
Develop a character study of Him. What are his physical characteristics? What emotional hold does he hold over all the women? What does he signify in the women's lives?
Essay Topic 3
What do the women mean by "Beginning of the End" when they tell each other their life stories? Viv is the last to tell her "Beginning of the End" story and it seems most appropriate for all the women whose endings actually began at the beginnings. What does the author mean by this?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)