|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara lays the items in #109 on a _________________________.
2. Which one of the book club members dies overnight?
3. What do the women drink at the foxhunt?
4. What happens to Professor Dipple?
5. What dance do the women do after dinner at the hospice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason for the party Canoe is hosting today?
2. What do the girls and women do after they have had sandwiches and cake?
3. What is the main entertainment at the birthday party?
4. Explain the metaphor of the fox and the foxhunt.
5. How does the author exhibit the circle of life in this section?
6. What is the setting of this section?
7. Why is Viv's "beginning of the end" most significant for all the women?
8. What is Canoe's latest initiative for the women?
9. How does Louise's photo shoot come to an end?
10. Who is the popular child-rearing expert whose advice the women closely follow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
OUR KIND is a classic circle of life story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of the goose eggs. How do they relate to Megan's recent suicide? How do they relate to Barbara's ambivalence as a mother? Are there any other significant meanings that the eggs add to the story?
Essay Topic 3
As you might expect from the title, the author provides the perspective of how girls and women view the world. Choose two situations in the book which also involve men or boys and create a brief synopsis of how the males viewed the same situations.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)