|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tried to escape the alcohol treatment center?
2. Who is the child-rearing expert most trusted by the women?
3. Where does Canoe stop so the girls can model their hats?
4. Where do the women assemble for their meeting?
5. Who encourages Louise to let Him go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scenario of Louise's photo shoot and the reactions of the other women present.
2. Who is the popular child-rearing expert whose advice the women closely follow?
3. What was Viv's decision-making process about her life's direction?
4. What is the setting for this section?
5. How does the group meeting at the hospice end on this day?
6. What topics do the women discuss in their group meeting today?
7. What is the reason for the party Canoe is hosting today?
8. What is the main entertainment at the birthday party?
9. Why does the photographer leave and then return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1950s. Why would Viv's friends consider her ex-husband, Clark, to be less of a person because of his presumed homosexuality? How does the group of women accept the lesbian relationship of Carmen and Suzie several years later?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study on Canoe. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Walbert use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)