|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which holiday is approaching?
2. Which one of the girls wins the hat decorating contest?
3. Which of the following is not one of the girls decorating hats?
4. Which of the women had been propositioned at one time or other by Him?
5. What does Canoe give Anne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the girls and women do after they have had sandwiches and cake?
2. Describe the sad Christmas spent by the women at the hospice.
3. What is the setting for this section?
4. How does Louise's photo shoot come to an end?
5. What topics do the women discuss in their group meeting today?
6. What was Viv's decision-making process about her life's direction?
7. Why is Viv's "beginning of the end" most significant for all the women?
8. What is the setting for this section?
9. How does Viv reconcile leaving school and getting married?
10. What does Louise share about Him trying to escape from the Center?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Develop a character study of Him. What are his physical characteristics? What emotional hold does he hold over all the women? What does he signify in the women's lives?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the metaphor of the foxhunt. What do the hounds represent? What does the mechanical fox represent? Why did the author choose to insert this scene into the novel?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)