|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the group meet for intervention practice?
2. What kind of shoes does Esther wear to greet her guests?
3. Who is the first of the women to dive into the pool in her underwear?
4. What does Esther drink at the party?
5. Which of the following is not common to the interventionists?
Short Essay Questions
1. What truth is revealed about Gay's ex-husband's homosexuality?
2. What does Him symbolize for the women?
3. Where do the women end their day in this section?
4. What does Carmen share about the goose eggs and nest she found?
5. What is especially alarming about Esther's lunch invitation on the anniversary of Walter's death?
6. Compare and contrast Him and Pips Phelp.
7. Why is Megan's death particularly sad?
8. What plan is Pips Phelp leading at the Club?
9. What had the women done today that made it such a sad one?
10. Describe the scenario of the failed intervention attempt.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the women mean by "Beginning of the End" when they tell each other their life stories? Viv is the last to tell her "Beginning of the End" story and it seems most appropriate for all the women whose endings actually began at the beginnings. What does the author mean by this?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Him with Pips Phelp. What are their roles within the group of women? What is the trust factor with the women? What are the reasons the women love each of these men who are so dramatically different?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the nature of this book and why the author created it the way she did. Why did she choose to create a collection of short stories to tell the women's stories? Is it effective? How is it different from reading a regular novel? How is it the same?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)