|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many of the women in the group were ___________________.
2. What does Canoe hope for regarding Remington Jackson?
3. Where do Bambi and her friends go shortly before Remington is scheduled to arrive?
4. What do the women wear to Canoe's party?
5. Him can be characterized as a ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the girls and women do after they have had sandwiches and cake?
2. Why does the photographer leave and then return?
3. Where do the women end their day in this section?
4. How does Viv reconcile leaving school and getting married?
5. What is the setting of this section?
6. What is the setting for this section?
7. Why will the women spend Christmas at the hospice?
8. Describe the shrine-like environment in Esther's dining room.
9. Describe the metaphor of fish as the women trash around the pool.
10. How does the author exhibit the circle of life in this section?
Essay Topic 1
OUR KIND is a classic circle of life story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1950s. Why would Viv's friends consider her ex-husband, Clark, to be less of a person because of his presumed homosexuality? How does the group of women accept the lesbian relationship of Carmen and Suzie several years later?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study on Barbara. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,561 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)