|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following women did not attend Esther's luncheon?
2. When does Bambi begin her breaks for freedom?
3. Who was Barbara's daughter?
4. Where does the group gather to eat brunch on the day Bambi is to meet Remington Jackson?
5. What topic do the women discuss as the evening progresses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the intervention?
2. Explain the symbolism of the destruction of the goose eggs.
3. Where do the women end their day in this section?
4. What is Bambi's unresolved issue regarding Remington Jackson?
5. What truth is revealed about Gay's ex-husband's homosexuality?
6. Describe the shrine-like environment in Esther's dining room.
7. Describe the practice intervention.
8. Explain what most of the women share at this point in their lives.
9. What had the women done today that made it such a sad one?
10. What is the significance of Canoe's come-as-you-were party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by giving her book this title? Does it imply exclusivity or ostracizing? Do the women feel proud to be one of "our kind"?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of married women in the 1950s when the women in the novel are beginning their married lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)