|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the note accompanying the ashes say?
2. Who is the first of the women to dive into the pool in her underwear?
3. Who is Canoe's current pool boy?
4. What is the purpose of Canoe's party?
5. How many children did Esther have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arrangement does Bambi make to meet Remington again?
2. Describe the shrine-like environment in Esther's dining room.
3. What is Bambi's unresolved issue regarding Remington Jackson?
5. Describe the sad Christmas spent by the women at the hospice.
6. What is the significance of the girls flirting with the boys in the park?
7. Describe the scenario of the failed intervention attempt.
8. Explain the metaphor of the fox and the foxhunt.
9. Why does the photographer leave and then return?
10. What is the setting for this section?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study on Canoe. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of married women in the 1950s when the women in the novel are beginning their married lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
What do the women mean by "Beginning of the End" when they tell each other their life stories? Viv is the last to tell her "Beginning of the End" story and it seems most appropriate for all the women whose endings actually began at the beginnings. What does the author mean by this?
This section contains 1,655 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)