|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Barbara's daughter, Megan, die?
2. Where is the group ending its day?
3. How are the guests seated in Esther's dining room?
4. What issue does Pips Phelp address at the Club?
5. What does Pips Phelp consider the issue in #63 to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had Esther's relationship with Walter been different from the relationships the other women have with their husbands?
2. What does Him symbolize for the women?
3. Describe the shrine-like environment in Esther's dining room.
4. Compare and contrast Walter with Him.
5. What is the nature of the party that Canoe hosts in this section?
6. What is the group doing at Bambi's house?
7. What experience does Canoe share regarding marrying in order to avoid spinsterhood?
8. Compare and contrast Him and Pips Phelp.
9. Who is Him?
10. What is the nature of the intervention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Him with Pips Phelp. What are their roles within the group of women? What is the trust factor with the women? What are the reasons the women love each of these men who are so dramatically different?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of the goose eggs. How do they relate to Megan's recent suicide? How do they relate to Barbara's ambivalence as a mother? Are there any other significant meanings that the eggs add to the story?
Essay Topic 3
OUR KIND is a classic circle of life story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)