|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Esther's guests bring to her house?
2. How were the ashes shipped to Barbara
3. At whose home does the group gather?
4. What did Clark call Gay soon after their wedding?
5. What stone objects sit on the mantel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carmen share about the goose eggs and nest she found?
2. What is especially alarming about Esther's lunch invitation on the anniversary of Walter's death?
3. Why is Megan's death particularly sad?
4. What truth is revealed about Gay's ex-husband's homosexuality?
5. Compare and contrast Walter with Him.
6. What is the story that Canoe shares about Teddy Roosevelt?
7. What is Bambi's unresolved issue regarding Remington Jackson?
8. Compare and contrast Him and Pips Phelp.
9. Where do the women end their day in this section?
10. Who is Him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As you might expect from the title, the author provides the perspective of how girls and women view the world. Choose two situations in the book which also involve men or boys and create a brief synopsis of how the males viewed the same situations.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by giving her book this title? Does it imply exclusivity or ostracizing? Do the women feel proud to be one of "our kind"?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)