Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the note accompanying the ashes say?
2. Who is the first of the women to dive into the pool in her underwear?
3. Who is Canoe's current pool boy?
4. What is the purpose of Canoe's party?
5. How many children did Esther have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arrangement does Bambi make to meet Remington again?
2. Describe the shrine-like environment in Esther's dining room.
3. What is Bambi's unresolved issue regarding Remington Jackson?
5. Describe the sad Christmas spent by the women at the hospice.
6. What is the significance of the girls flirting with the boys in the park?
7. Describe the scenario of the failed intervention attempt.
8. Explain the metaphor of the fox and the foxhunt.
9. Why does the photographer leave and then return?
10. What is the setting for this section?
Create a brief character study on Canoe. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Esther is clearly different from all the other women in the group. Describe Esther's role in the story and why the author chose to insert her character, even if for just a short while, in the novel. What can the other women learn from Esther? Explain.
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1950s. Why would Viv's friends consider her ex-husband, Clark, to be less of a person because of his presumed homosexuality? How does the group of women accept the lesbian relationship of Carmen and Suzie several years later?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)