|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Remington Jackson?
2. Canoe had accepted Buddy's marriage proposal because she didn't want ___________________.
3. How does Him evade the women?
4. What do the women call the point when their personal relationships take a turn for the worse?
5. What type of art did Walter do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the group doing at Bambi's house?
2. What is the story that Canoe shares about Teddy Roosevelt?
3. Compare and contrast Him and Pips Phelp.
4. Explain what most of the women share at this point in their lives.
5. Describe the metaphor of fish as the women trash around the pool.
6. How does Esther Curran manage in the years since her husband, Walter's, death?
7. What had the women done today that made it such a sad one?
8. Where do the women end their day in this section?
9. Describe the shrine-like environment in Esther's dining room.
10. Who is Him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Walbert use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
As you might expect from the title, the author provides the perspective of how girls and women view the world. Choose two situations in the book which also involve men or boys and create a brief synopsis of how the males viewed the same situations.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)