|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ricardo wear as he serves drinks for the evening?
2. Where does Bambi sit as she waits for Remington to arrive?
3. Which two women are the lesbians in the group?
4. What do the women suspect of Gay's ex-husband, Clark?
5. Who was Barbara's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Him symbolize for the women?
2. What truth is revealed about Gay's ex-husband's homosexuality?
3. What is the story that Canoe shares about Teddy Roosevelt?
4. What experience does Canoe share regarding marrying in order to avoid spinsterhood?
5. Where do the women end their day in this section?
6. What is the nature of the intervention?
7. What does Carmen share about the goose eggs and nest she found?
8. What is the nature of the party that Canoe hosts in this section?
9. Compare and contrast Walter with Him.
10. What is Bambi's unresolved issue regarding Remington Jackson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by giving her book this title? Does it imply exclusivity or ostracizing? Do the women feel proud to be one of "our kind"?
Essay Topic 2
Develop a character study of Him. What are his physical characteristics? What emotional hold does he hold over all the women? What does he signify in the women's lives?
Essay Topic 3
Esther is clearly different from all the other women in the group. Describe Esther's role in the story and why the author chose to insert her character, even if for just a short while, in the novel. What can the other women learn from Esther? Explain.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)