|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What proverb does Mrs. Ravenswood make Jude think of?
2. What does Aunt Michelle start calling Jude in Part III?
3. Why does Jude decide to wear the hijab?
4. What are Jude's three favorite words in English after speaking with Miles?
5. What does Jude particularly try not to break regarding Fatima?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Layla tell Jude it would be better not to try out for a part in the play?
2. Why does Jude think many Americans do not finish their sentences?
3. What does Jude say to the rude person at the hospital in response to the person's comment to Mama?
4. How does Jude come to try to forgive Sarah for not being happy for her for getting a role in the play?
5. What momentous event happens while Jude is waiting for the results of the play tryouts to be posted?
6. What does the person at the hospital say to Mama as she and Jude are leaving that upsets them both?
7. Why does Jude get so emotional when she goes to the Middle Eastern restaurant and they serve her food for the first time?
8. How do Jude and Miles begin to become friends?
9. How does Jude's wearing her hijab change the way people look at her on the street?
10. How does the rest of the family react the night Mama cooks dinner in Part III?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Warga includes a scene in the novel in which Jude and her mother wait anxiously to have their papers cleared by American immigration officials at the airport, she seems to leave the question of their plans for the length of their stay in America intentionally vague. Write an essay explaining why you think the author made this choice and how you think this choice affects the reader's understanding of the story.
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the different ways in which Jude and her friends and family view the tourists in their town in Syria? Write an essay explaining your answers, citing specific references to the text to help support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Warga has written this novel in free-verse poetry. How does the structure of this novel affect the reader's relationship with and understanding of the characters and the plot? Write an essay explaining your answers, citing specific references to the text to help support your conclusions.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)