|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of appointment does Jude go to with Mama in Part III?
2. Where does Mama tell Jude that Fatima is living with Aunt Amal?
3. Who is Layla's father?
4. What is one of Jude's favorite foods in America?
5. What does Aunt Michelle say she wishes Mazin would do with Sarah?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Issa go when he leaves home in Part III?
2. How does Jude's wearing her hijab change the way people look at her on the street?
3. What does Jude tell Layla about her feelings about school?
4. How does the rest of the family react the night Mama cooks dinner in Part III?
5. Why does Jude think many Americans do not finish their sentences?
6. Why does Layla think Jude is lucky?
7. Why does Layla tell Jude it would be better not to try out for a part in the play?
8. What does Sarah tell Jude when Aunt Michelle makes Sarah take Jude sledding with her?
9. Why is Jude growing more concerned about Fatima in Part III?
10. What Arabic proverb does Mrs. Ravenswood put Jude in a mind of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the result of Uncle Mazin's one-on-one dinner with Jude? What does Jude better begin to understand about her uncle's own feelings about America after her dinner with him? Write an essay explaining your answers.
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the different ways in which Jude and her friends and family view the tourists in their town in Syria? Write an essay explaining your answers, citing specific references to the text to help support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
What plot elements does Warga use to build suspense for the reader throughout the novel? Write an essay explaining your answers, citing specific references to the text to help support your conclusions.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)