|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Horace Borrodaile speak about in his monologues on board the ship?
2. What does Lucinda think of Mr. Borradaile?
3. How did Oscar lose his horse and carriage that his bishop gave him?
4. Before heading up to Lucinda's stateroom, Oscar goes to his room to retrieve his:
5. What dream does Lucinda have but doesn't tell Oscar about in Chapter 77?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the state of the glassworks factory when Lucinda returns to Sydney?
2. Why is Lucinda angry that Mr. Phelps invited her and Oscar for a tour of the factory?
3. What scandal do Lucinda and Oscar create?
4. Describe the events of Oscar and Lucinda's Christmas Day.
5. What are the circumstances under which Lucinda says her confession to Oscar?
6. Does Lucinda get along with Horace Borrodaile?
7. Does Lucinda consider Oscar as a potential husband?
8. How does Lucinda grow comfortable around Oscar and begin to admire him again?
9. What convinces Oscar to go up to first class and seek out Lucinda?
10. Does Oscar believe he can withstand anything for Lucinda's love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you characterize Dennis and Lucinda's relationship? Do they treat each other well? In what ways do they both fail each other?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the glass church and discuss its importance as a symbol of love. How do Oscar and Lucinda express their love through the creation of the glass church?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the theme of addiction in this novel. In what ways do Theophilus, Oscar, Lucinda, and Wardley-Fish reveal their addictions? How do these addictions play an important role in their lives?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)