|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the sermon about that Lucinda and Oscar feel insulted by when they go to church on a religious holiday?
2. What does Oscar ask Lucinda when he is worried about her reputation?
3. How did Oscar lose his horse and carriage that his bishop gave him?
4. When Oscar's housekeeper warns him that his sermons are upsetting the congregation, what is he preaching about?
5. What happens to Wardley-Fish as he follows Oscar's expedition and comes across a man with a mask?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miriam Chadwick wear black?
2. Why is Wardley-Fish thwarted in his attempts to catch up with Oscar on the expedition?
3. What are the circumstances under which Lucinda says her confession to Oscar?
4. Does Oscar believe he can withstand anything for Lucinda's love?
5. How does Oscar's enthusiastic description of the phosphorescence phenomenon end up making him feel lonely and left out?
6. How does Oscar react to seeing Lucinda's prototype for a glass building?
7. What is the state of the glassworks factory when Lucinda returns to Sydney?
8. Why does Mrs. Smith change her mind about working as Lucinda's housekeeper?
9. What scandal do Lucinda and Oscar create?
10. How does Mr. Jeffris show his love of power as he prepares for the expedition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Oscar's rebellion of his father's religious beliefs change the direction of his life? Does Theophilus' influence carry over into the various stages of Oscar's life? Provide textual examples to explain your points.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of the sea in Oscar's life. Why does he fear it as a boy? In what ways does he take steps to overcome his fear? How does his fear come true?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the glass church and discuss its importance as a symbol of love. How do Oscar and Lucinda express their love through the creation of the glass church?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)