|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before heading up to Lucinda's stateroom, Oscar goes to his room to retrieve his:
2. When Oscar reveals his knowledge of gambling during Lucinda's confession, what does Lucinda say?
3. What does Mr.Jeffris do to Oscar after Oscar makes a big fuss when there is shooting on the expedition?
4. When Oscar's housekeeper warns him that his sermons are upsetting the congregation, what is he preaching about?
5. What does Wardley-Fish do when his boat passes Oscar's ship on its expedition journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Oscar admire the glassworks factory?
2. Why does Mrs. Smith change her mind about working as Lucinda's housekeeper?
3. How does Oscar's enthusiastic description of the phosphorescence phenomenon end up making him feel lonely and left out?
4. How does Lucinda grow comfortable around Oscar and begin to admire him again?
5. Does Lucinda consider Oscar as a potential husband?
6. Why is Wardley-Fish thwarted in his attempts to catch up with Oscar on the expedition?
7. When does Lucinda finally realize that Oscar must love her?
8. How does Mr. Jeffris show his love of power as he prepares for the expedition?
9. What happens when Lucinda goes to gamble at the Chinese establishment on George Street?
10. Why does Oscar hide his love for Lucinda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Oscar's view of how God helps him make decisions in his life. What does he say about God's guidance when it comes to gambling? How does he justify his actions by using "God's will" as an excuse?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Ian Wardley-Fish. What role does he play in the novel? How has he influenced Oscar in both positive and negative ways?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Miriam Chadwick, the narrator's great grandmother. How did she take the opportunity presented to her by Dennis Hasset and become engaged to Oscar? What does she do when she realizes she has inherited a fortune? What does this suggest about her character?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)