|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Jeffris wish to be?
2. Who mostly inhabits the parish near Boat Harbour?
3. Why can't Lucinda hire any maids in Chapter 73?
4. Why is Mr. Borradaile upset when Lucinda joins his table for dinner?
5. What does Lucinda do after Oscar wakes up from his faint in her stateroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Smith change her mind about working as Lucinda's housekeeper?
2. How does Oscar's enthusiastic description of the phosphorescence phenomenon end up making him feel lonely and left out?
3. Does Lucinda consider Oscar as a potential husband?
4. Why does Miriam Chadwick wear black?
5. Does Oscar believe he can withstand anything for Lucinda's love?
6. How does Lucinda help Oscar get a job?
7. What happens when Lucinda goes to gamble at the Chinese establishment on George Street?
8. What convinces Oscar to go up to first class and seek out Lucinda?
9. Why is Lucinda angry that Mr. Phelps invited her and Oscar for a tour of the factory?
10. How does Lucinda grow comfortable around Oscar and begin to admire him again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Oscar's rebellion of his father's religious beliefs change the direction of his life? Does Theophilus' influence carry over into the various stages of Oscar's life? Provide textual examples to explain your points.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Oscar's reception at the glassworks factory with that of Lucinda's. How is he accepted and treated well? How does Lucinda react to Oscar's reception?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the glass church and discuss its importance as a symbol of love. How do Oscar and Lucinda express their love through the creation of the glass church?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)