|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the vicarage that Oscar is vicar of?
2. What game is Lucinda playing when she sees Oscar in Chapter 64?
3. Where does Oscar take Lucinda to dinner in Chapter 82?
4. How does Oscar describe the glassworks factory to Lucinda after he has chased her to her office?
5. When does Mr. Jeffris visit Lucinda and Oscar at their home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Lucinda get along with Horace Borrodaile?
2. How does Lucinda help Oscar get a job?
3. How does Lucinda grow comfortable around Oscar and begin to admire him again?
4. Why does Miriam Chadwick wear black?
5. How does Oscar react to seeing Lucinda's prototype for a glass building?
6. What convinces Oscar to go up to first class and seek out Lucinda?
7. How does Oscar's enthusiastic description of the phosphorescence phenomenon end up making him feel lonely and left out?
8. What are the circumstances under which Lucinda says her confession to Oscar?
9. Why does Mrs. Smith change her mind about working as Lucinda's housekeeper?
10. Why is Wardley-Fish thwarted in his attempts to catch up with Oscar on the expedition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Oscar and Lucinda never come to fully express their love for each other? How did their misunderstandings and assumptions decide their fate?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar describes himself as a misfit. Do you agree or disagree? Explain your reasoning and provide textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree or disagree that Lucinda is a courageous person? In what ways does she express this courage by standing up for herself in the face of dominating personalities?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)