|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What card game do Oscar and Lucinda first play in her stateroom?
2. What does Lucinda hurl at the wall when she becomes frustrated by Oscar?
3. Where is Lucinda going at nine o'clock at night on her horse in Chapter 64?
4. What is Oscar's response when Lucinda says he has still not absolved her after her confession?
5. What do the Narcoo see for the first time in the box that fell when Oscar is on the expedition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miriam Chadwick wear black?
2. Describe the events of Oscar and Lucinda's Christmas Day.
3. What happens when Lucinda goes to gamble at the Chinese establishment on George Street?
4. Does Lucinda get along with Horace Borrodaile?
5. Does Oscar admire the glassworks factory?
6. When does Lucinda finally realize that Oscar must love her?
7. Why does Percy Smith give Oscar laudanum on the journey?
8. Does Oscar's new congregation like him as a preacher?
9. Does Oscar believe he can withstand anything for Lucinda's love?
10. How does Lucinda grow comfortable around Oscar and begin to admire him again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the phenomenon of phosphorescence is used to further the plot in Oscar and Lucinda. In what ways does this event help Oscar overcome his fear and visit Lucinda's stateroom? How does the phosphorescence change Lucinda's impressions of Oscar?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Ian Wardley-Fish. What role does he play in the novel? How has he influenced Oscar in both positive and negative ways?
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree or disagree that Lucinda is a courageous person? In what ways does she express this courage by standing up for herself in the face of dominating personalities?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)