|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the envelope that Lucinda gives to Oscar when Oscar leaves on the expedition?
2. What happens to Wardley-Fish as he follows Oscar's expedition and comes across a man with a mask?
3. How does Oscar describe the glassworks factory to Lucinda after he has chased her to her office?
4. When Oscar's housekeeper warns him that his sermons are upsetting the congregation, what is he preaching about?
5. How does Dennis think Lucinda looks when he sees her after she returns to Sydney?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Lucinda get along with Horace Borrodaile?
2. How does Mr. Jeffris show his love of power as he prepares for the expedition?
3. Why is Wardley-Fish thwarted in his attempts to catch up with Oscar on the expedition?
4. Why does Miriam Chadwick wear black?
5. Does Oscar believe he can withstand anything for Lucinda's love?
6. What convinces Oscar to go up to first class and seek out Lucinda?
7. Why does Percy Smith give Oscar laudanum on the journey?
8. Describe the events of Oscar and Lucinda's Christmas Day.
9. How does Oscar react to seeing Lucinda's prototype for a glass building?
10. What scandal do Lucinda and Oscar create?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Oscar responsible for Reverend Stratton's death, as he claims in his prayers for forgiveness? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the scandals that Lucinda and Oscar create on the Leviathan and in Sydney. Do they both seem to put their own needs first ? In what ways do they not consider the other's reputation?
Essay Topic 3
How would you characterize Dennis and Lucinda's relationship? Do they treat each other well? In what ways do they both fail each other?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)