|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dream does Lucinda have but doesn't tell Oscar about in Chapter 77?
2. What does Lucinda sneak out of the house to do late at night while Oscar is living with her?
3. What is Oscar's response when Lucinda says he has still not absolved her after her confession?
4. Where does Oscar take Lucinda to dinner in Chapter 82?
5. When does Mr. Jeffris visit Lucinda and Oscar at their home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances under which Lucinda says her confession to Oscar?
2. How does Mr. Jeffris show his love of power as he prepares for the expedition?
3. Does Oscar's new congregation like him as a preacher?
4. Why is Lucinda angry that Mr. Phelps invited her and Oscar for a tour of the factory?
5. How does Lucinda feel about Dennis leaving Sydney to go to a parish near Boat Harbour?
6. Why does Miriam Chadwick wear black?
7. How does Oscar's enthusiastic description of the phosphorescence phenomenon end up making him feel lonely and left out?
8. Does Lucinda get along with Horace Borrodaile?
9. Does Oscar admire the glassworks factory?
10. Why does Oscar hide his love for Lucinda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Lucinda's unconventional upbringing influence Lucinda's behavior? In what ways does she carry on with her mother's dreams? Provide three examples that show Lucinda acting in unconventional ways.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Mr. Jeffris. What kind of person is he? How is his true nature revealed during the expedition? Provide textual examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How did Oscar and Lucinda never come to fully express their love for each other? How did their misunderstandings and assumptions decide their fate?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)