|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the steward do when he comes to deliver Lucinda's tea and sees Lucinda's lure?
2. How many days after he leaves does it take Lucinda to open Oscar's envelope?
3. What does Lucinda long for when she is living again in Sydney after Dennis has left?
4. What does the head steward announce at dinner is on view on the above deck in Chapter 52?
5. What does Oscar ask Lucinda when he is worried about her reputation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lucinda angry that Mr. Phelps invited her and Oscar for a tour of the factory?
2. Does Oscar's new congregation like him as a preacher?
3. How does Oscar's enthusiastic description of the phosphorescence phenomenon end up making him feel lonely and left out?
4. How does Lucinda grow comfortable around Oscar and begin to admire him again?
5. Does Lucinda consider Oscar as a potential husband?
6. When does Lucinda visit her glassworks factory?
7. What scandal do Lucinda and Oscar create?
8. Does Oscar believe he can withstand anything for Lucinda's love?
9. Why do Horace Borrodaile and Percy Smith try to get Oscar to walk on the open deck?
10. When does Lucinda finally realize that Oscar must love her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of the sea in Oscar's life. Why does he fear it as a boy? In what ways does he take steps to overcome his fear? How does his fear come true?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar describes himself as a misfit. Do you agree or disagree? Explain your reasoning and provide textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the theme of addiction in this novel. In what ways do Theophilus, Oscar, Lucinda, and Wardley-Fish reveal their addictions? How do these addictions play an important role in their lives?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)