|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucinda long for when she is living again in Sydney after Dennis has left?
2. What does Lucinda think of Mr. Borradaile?
3. What does Lucinda sneak out of the house to do late at night while Oscar is living with her?
4. Who mostly inhabits the parish near Boat Harbour?
5. How does Dennis think Lucinda looks when he sees her after she returns to Sydney?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Lucinda finally realize that Oscar must love her?
2. Why is Lucinda angry that Mr. Phelps invited her and Oscar for a tour of the factory?
3. What happens when Lucinda goes to gamble at the Chinese establishment on George Street?
4. How does Lucinda grow comfortable around Oscar and begin to admire him again?
5. Does Oscar's new congregation like him as a preacher?
6. Why is Wardley-Fish thwarted in his attempts to catch up with Oscar on the expedition?
7. How does Oscar react to seeing Lucinda's prototype for a glass building?
8. How does Lucinda feel about Dennis leaving Sydney to go to a parish near Boat Harbour?
9. Does Lucinda get along with Horace Borrodaile?
10. Why does Mrs. Smith change her mind about working as Lucinda's housekeeper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Ian Wardley-Fish. What role does he play in the novel? How has he influenced Oscar in both positive and negative ways?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the scandals that Lucinda and Oscar create on the Leviathan and in Sydney. Do they both seem to put their own needs first ? In what ways do they not consider the other's reputation?
Essay Topic 3
How did Oscar's rebellion of his father's religious beliefs change the direction of his life? Does Theophilus' influence carry over into the various stages of Oscar's life? Provide textual examples to explain your points.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)