|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Judd want to be able to do during services?
2. When Oscar's housekeeper warns him that his sermons are upsetting the congregation, what is he preaching about?
3. What does Lucinda do after Oscar wakes up from his faint in her stateroom?
4. What does Mrs. d'Abbs press into Oscar's hand when he and Lucinda leave her house after arguing with her husband?
5. What has Oscar placed in the envelope for Lucinda?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Jeffris show his love of power as he prepares for the expedition?
2. What are the circumstances under which Lucinda says her confession to Oscar?
3. Does Oscar admire the glassworks factory?
4. Does Lucinda consider Oscar as a potential husband?
5. Why is Wardley-Fish thwarted in his attempts to catch up with Oscar on the expedition?
6. How does Lucinda help Oscar get a job?
7. Why does Oscar hide his love for Lucinda?
8. Why is Lucinda angry that Mr. Phelps invited her and Oscar for a tour of the factory?
9. What is the state of the glassworks factory when Lucinda returns to Sydney?
10. When does Lucinda visit her glassworks factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the theme of addiction in this novel. In what ways do Theophilus, Oscar, Lucinda, and Wardley-Fish reveal their addictions? How do these addictions play an important role in their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Do you agree or disagree that Lucinda is a courageous person? In what ways does she express this courage by standing up for herself in the face of dominating personalities?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Oscar's view of how God helps him make decisions in his life. What does he say about God's guidance when it comes to gambling? How does he justify his actions by using "God's will" as an excuse?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)