|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wardley-Fish do when his boat passes Oscar's ship on its expedition journey?
2. How far does Mr. Phelps walk with his son to see Lucinda and Oscar at her home?
3. What does Lucinda hurl at the wall when she becomes frustrated by Oscar?
4. How many days is Wardley-Fish imprisoned in Sydney?
5. What unresolved obligation does Oscar have at the beginning of Chapter 51?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lucinda angry that Mr. Phelps invited her and Oscar for a tour of the factory?
2. Describe the events of Oscar and Lucinda's Christmas Day.
3. Why do Horace Borrodaile and Percy Smith try to get Oscar to walk on the open deck?
4. How does Mr. Jeffris show his love of power as he prepares for the expedition?
5. Why is Wardley-Fish thwarted in his attempts to catch up with Oscar on the expedition?
6. What is the state of the glassworks factory when Lucinda returns to Sydney?
7. How does Lucinda help Oscar get a job?
8. Does Oscar admire the glassworks factory?
9. Why does Miriam Chadwick wear black?
10. How does Lucinda grow comfortable around Oscar and begin to admire him again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Miriam Chadwick, the narrator's great grandmother. How did she take the opportunity presented to her by Dennis Hasset and become engaged to Oscar? What does she do when she realizes she has inherited a fortune? What does this suggest about her character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Ian Wardley-Fish. What role does he play in the novel? How has he influenced Oscar in both positive and negative ways?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the glass church and discuss its importance as a symbol of love. How do Oscar and Lucinda express their love through the creation of the glass church?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)