|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oscar say about the prototype Lucinda shows him in her office?
2. How many days is Wardley-Fish imprisoned in Sydney?
3. Why does Mr. Jeffris hire a trumpeter?
4. What does Mr. d'Abbs tell Lucinda that Jeffris loves?
5. How does Dennis think Lucinda looks when he sees her after she returns to Sydney?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of the sea in Oscar's life. Why does he fear it as a boy? In what ways does he take steps to overcome his fear? How does his fear come true?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Miriam Chadwick, the narrator's great grandmother. How did she take the opportunity presented to her by Dennis Hasset and become engaged to Oscar? What does she do when she realizes she has inherited a fortune? What does this suggest about her character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Ian Wardley-Fish. What role does he play in the novel? How has he influenced Oscar in both positive and negative ways?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)