|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the envelope that Lucinda gives to Oscar when Oscar leaves on the expedition?
2. Who do the Strattons run into on their way to the racetrack at Newton Abbot?
3. What does Mr. Smith force-feed Oscar to keep him quiet?
4. What trap does Lucinda set to lure the stewards when they come to her stateroom in Chapter 56?
5. What card game do Oscar and Lucinda first play in her stateroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Lucinda visit her glassworks factory?
2. Why does Mrs. Smith change her mind about working as Lucinda's housekeeper?
3. Does Oscar believe he can withstand anything for Lucinda's love?
4. Why does Miriam Chadwick wear black?
5. Why do Horace Borrodaile and Percy Smith try to get Oscar to walk on the open deck?
6. Does Oscar admire the glassworks factory?
7. What scandal do Lucinda and Oscar create?
8. How does Lucinda feel about Dennis leaving Sydney to go to a parish near Boat Harbour?
9. Why does Oscar hide his love for Lucinda?
10. What happens when Lucinda goes to gamble at the Chinese establishment on George Street?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Oscar's reception at the glassworks factory with that of Lucinda's. How is he accepted and treated well? How does Lucinda react to Oscar's reception?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the theme of addiction in this novel. In what ways do Theophilus, Oscar, Lucinda, and Wardley-Fish reveal their addictions? How do these addictions play an important role in their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Is Oscar responsible for Reverend Stratton's death, as he claims in his prayers for forgiveness? Why or why not?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)