|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oscar ask Lucinda when he is worried about her reputation?
2. What job does Arthur Phelps have?
3. What does Lucinda long for when she is living again in Sydney after Dennis has left?
4. Why can't Lucinda hire any maids in Chapter 73?
5. Where is Lucinda going at nine o'clock at night on her horse in Chapter 64?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Oscar hide his love for Lucinda?
2. How does Lucinda grow comfortable around Oscar and begin to admire him again?
3. What are the circumstances under which Lucinda says her confession to Oscar?
4. When does Lucinda finally realize that Oscar must love her?
5. Does Oscar admire the glassworks factory?
6. Does Lucinda get along with Horace Borrodaile?
7. How does Oscar react to seeing Lucinda's prototype for a glass building?
8. What convinces Oscar to go up to first class and seek out Lucinda?
9. How does Lucinda help Oscar get a job?
10. Why does Mrs. Smith change her mind about working as Lucinda's housekeeper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Oscar's view of how God helps him make decisions in his life. What does he say about God's guidance when it comes to gambling? How does he justify his actions by using "God's will" as an excuse?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the theme of addiction in this novel. In what ways do Theophilus, Oscar, Lucinda, and Wardley-Fish reveal their addictions? How do these addictions play an important role in their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of the sea in Oscar's life. Why does he fear it as a boy? In what ways does he take steps to overcome his fear? How does his fear come true?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)