|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the funny name of the steward who attended Oscar when he was sick on board the ship?
2. How does Dennis think Lucinda looks when he sees her after she returns to Sydney?
3. Who does Oscar believe that Lucinda is in love with?
4. After Easter, what does Lucinda advertise for?
5. How does Oscar decide about taking a job offer in Chapter 75?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Miriam Chadwick, the narrator's great grandmother. How did she take the opportunity presented to her by Dennis Hasset and become engaged to Oscar? What does she do when she realizes she has inherited a fortune? What does this suggest about her character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the phenomenon of phosphorescence is used to further the plot in Oscar and Lucinda. In what ways does this event help Oscar overcome his fear and visit Lucinda's stateroom? How does the phosphorescence change Lucinda's impressions of Oscar?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Reverend Stratton's role as a patron to Oscar. How has he provided for him financially in ways that his father would not? How does he support his education and religious studies? In what ways do you think Oscar fails him?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)