|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incident occurs in the glassworks factory that causes it to close?
2. What does Lucinda hurl at the wall when she becomes frustrated by Oscar?
3. What does Lucinda offer to Mr. Jeffris and his men so that they return Oscar safely?
4. What game is Lucinda playing when she sees Oscar in Chapter 64?
5. What does Horace Borrodaile speak about in his monologues on board the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Lucinda finally realize that Oscar must love her?
2. Why is Lucinda angry that Mr. Phelps invited her and Oscar for a tour of the factory?
3. Why does Miriam Chadwick wear black?
4. What is the state of the glassworks factory when Lucinda returns to Sydney?
5. What happens when Lucinda goes to gamble at the Chinese establishment on George Street?
6. Does Oscar believe he can withstand anything for Lucinda's love?
7. How does Lucinda help Oscar get a job?
8. Does Lucinda consider Oscar as a potential husband?
9. Does Oscar's new congregation like him as a preacher?
10. Why does Percy Smith give Oscar laudanum on the journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Ian Wardley-Fish. What role does he play in the novel? How has he influenced Oscar in both positive and negative ways?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of the sea in Oscar's life. Why does he fear it as a boy? In what ways does he take steps to overcome his fear? How does his fear come true?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Oscar's reaction to Lucinda's prototype. What kind of language does he use to express his opinion of it? How does his reaction help Lucinda understand something about her feelings for him?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)