|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Oscar's response when Lucinda says he has still not absolved her after her confession?
2. What happens to Wardley-Fish as he follows Oscar's expedition and comes across a man with a mask?
3. How does Oscar originally plan to transport the church to Dennis?
4. How far does Mr. Phelps walk with his son to see Lucinda and Oscar at her home?
5. What phobia does Oscar explain to Lucinda when he visits her stateroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances under which Lucinda says her confession to Oscar?
2. How does Lucinda grow comfortable around Oscar and begin to admire him again?
3. Why does Miriam Chadwick wear black?
4. How does Lucinda feel about Dennis leaving Sydney to go to a parish near Boat Harbour?
5. When does Lucinda visit her glassworks factory?
6. Why does Mrs. Smith change her mind about working as Lucinda's housekeeper?
7. Does Lucinda consider Oscar as a potential husband?
8. How does Mr. Jeffris show his love of power as he prepares for the expedition?
9. How does Lucinda help Oscar get a job?
10. Why is Wardley-Fish thwarted in his attempts to catch up with Oscar on the expedition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Oscar's death scene. In what way does he remember his childhood as he is drowning, and why is this important?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of the sea in Oscar's life. Why does he fear it as a boy? In what ways does he take steps to overcome his fear? How does his fear come true?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Ian Wardley-Fish. What role does he play in the novel? How has he influenced Oscar in both positive and negative ways?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)