|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Lucinda hire any maids in Chapter 73?
2. What card game do Oscar and Lucinda first play in her stateroom?
3. When Lucinda is talking with Dennis in Chapter 62, what does she take on and off?
4. In Chapter 80, what does Lucinda realize she feels for Oscar?
5. What does Lucinda offer to Mr. Jeffris and his men so that they return Oscar safely?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Horace Borrodaile and Percy Smith try to get Oscar to walk on the open deck?
2. When does Lucinda finally realize that Oscar must love her?
3. Why does Oscar hide his love for Lucinda?
4. How does Lucinda feel about Dennis leaving Sydney to go to a parish near Boat Harbour?
5. When does Lucinda visit her glassworks factory?
6. Does Lucinda consider Oscar as a potential husband?
7. How does Mr. Jeffris show his love of power as he prepares for the expedition?
8. What convinces Oscar to go up to first class and seek out Lucinda?
9. Why does Percy Smith give Oscar laudanum on the journey?
10. Why does Mrs. Smith change her mind about working as Lucinda's housekeeper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the theme of addiction in this novel. In what ways do Theophilus, Oscar, Lucinda, and Wardley-Fish reveal their addictions? How do these addictions play an important role in their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the scandals that Lucinda and Oscar create on the Leviathan and in Sydney. Do they both seem to put their own needs first ? In what ways do they not consider the other's reputation?
Essay Topic 3
How did Oscar and Lucinda never come to fully express their love for each other? How did their misunderstandings and assumptions decide their fate?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)