|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offends his co-workers when Oscar starts his new job as a clerk?
2. How many days after he leaves does it take Lucinda to open Oscar's envelope?
3. Who offers Oscar a job as a clerk?
4. What does Mrs. Smith call the deep wounds on the back of Oscar's hands?
5. When Oscar reveals his knowledge of gambling during Lucinda's confession, what does Lucinda say?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Oscar hide his love for Lucinda?
2. Does Oscar's new congregation like him as a preacher?
3. How does Lucinda help Oscar get a job?
4. Does Lucinda get along with Horace Borrodaile?
5. Why does Percy Smith give Oscar laudanum on the journey?
6. Why does Miriam Chadwick wear black?
7. How does Mr. Jeffris show his love of power as he prepares for the expedition?
8. How does Lucinda feel about Dennis leaving Sydney to go to a parish near Boat Harbour?
9. When does Lucinda finally realize that Oscar must love her?
10. Why is Lucinda angry that Mr. Phelps invited her and Oscar for a tour of the factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Lucinda's unconventional upbringing influence Lucinda's behavior? In what ways does she carry on with her mother's dreams? Provide three examples that show Lucinda acting in unconventional ways.
Essay Topic 2
Is Oscar responsible for Reverend Stratton's death, as he claims in his prayers for forgiveness? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the scandals that Lucinda and Oscar create on the Leviathan and in Sydney. Do they both seem to put their own needs first ? In what ways do they not consider the other's reputation?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)