|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucinda confess when Oscar encourages her to make her confession?
2. What does Oscar say about the prototype Lucinda shows him in her office?
3. What does Lucinda call Mr. Ahearn when he visits that makes him blush?
4. What does Mrs. Smith call the deep wounds on the back of Oscar's hands?
5. What card game do Oscar and Lucinda first play in her stateroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events of Oscar and Lucinda's Christmas Day.
2. When does Lucinda visit her glassworks factory?
3. Why does Miriam Chadwick wear black?
4. How does Lucinda grow comfortable around Oscar and begin to admire him again?
5. What is the state of the glassworks factory when Lucinda returns to Sydney?
6. Does Lucinda consider Oscar as a potential husband?
7. What scandal do Lucinda and Oscar create?
8. When does Lucinda finally realize that Oscar must love her?
9. Why does Oscar hide his love for Lucinda?
10. Why is Lucinda angry that Mr. Phelps invited her and Oscar for a tour of the factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Oscar's death scene. In what way does he remember his childhood as he is drowning, and why is this important?
Essay Topic 2
Do you agree or disagree that Lucinda is a courageous person? In what ways does she express this courage by standing up for herself in the face of dominating personalities?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the phenomenon of phosphorescence is used to further the plot in Oscar and Lucinda. In what ways does this event help Oscar overcome his fear and visit Lucinda's stateroom? How does the phosphorescence change Lucinda's impressions of Oscar?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)