|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oscar ask Wardley-Fish to do to help him understand God's plan for his future in Chapter 42?
2. What noise is described as being as "definite as a walnut cracking?"
3. Why can't Mrs. Stratton have an official position in the Anglican church?
4. Why does Lucinda say she is jealous of Dennis?
5. What does Dennis tell Lucinda is lacking in his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Theophilus check Oscar's lungs every morning?
2. Describe Oscar's first dinner at the Stratton's home.
3. What happens when Oscar runs away from his father's house and tries to go to Reverend Stratton's home?
4. Describe Theophilus' penchant for naming everything.
5. Why does Lucinda move to Sydney?
6. How does Oscar deal with Reverend Stratton's discovery of a losing betting stub?
7. Why is Mrs. Cousins perturbed by Lucinda's style of dress when she lives at her boarding house?
8. Describe Ian Wardley-Fish.
9. How does Oscar feel about the sea?
10. Is the narrator's mother dedicated to the Church of St. John's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the scandals that Lucinda and Oscar create on the Leviathan and in Sydney. Do they both seem to put their own needs first ? In what ways do they not consider the other's reputation?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Oscar's reaction to Lucinda's prototype. What kind of language does he use to express his opinion of it? How does his reaction help Lucinda understand something about her feelings for him?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Oscar's reception at the glassworks factory with that of Lucinda's. How is he accepted and treated well? How does Lucinda react to Oscar's reception?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)