|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theophilus Hopkins study in the natural world?
2. Where did Lucinda's parents keep their money?
3. What does the membership of the Plymouth Brethren do outside the Stratton's house?
4. How does Melody feel about her companions on board the ship?
5. What is Lucinda's state of mind when she first arrives on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ian Wardley-Fish.
2. Why did Lucinda spend a year in London?
3. How does Reverend Stratton respond when Oscar sends him coffee?
4. Why did Oscar inscribe symbols along the footpath?
5. How does Oscar feel about his father when he comes to visit him at the Stratton's home?
6. How has Mrs. Stratton's passion for debate been a liability in her life?
7. How does Oscar react to seeing the track for the first time?
8. How does Oscar feel about the sea?
9. Describe Reverend Dennis Hasset.
10. What is Oscar's reaction when Mrs. Stratton interprets the thirty-nine articles for him as he prepares for an interview with the Provost at Oriel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Reverend Stratton's role as a patron to Oscar. How has he provided for him financially in ways that his father would not? How does he support his education and religious studies? In what ways do you think Oscar fails him?
Essay Topic 2
How does Lucinda's unconventional upbringing influence Lucinda's behavior? In what ways does she carry on with her mother's dreams? Provide three examples that show Lucinda acting in unconventional ways.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the glass church and discuss its importance as a symbol of love. How do Oscar and Lucinda express their love through the creation of the glass church?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)