|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel where Lucinda stays in Sydney?
2. What does Lucy make at the large table in the kitchen while Theophilus is sitting there?
3. What does Lucinda enjoy playing at Mr. d'Abbs house?
4. What does Oscar plan to do once he has earned enough money from gambling in Chapter 41?
5. What does the willow pattern on the Stratton's china look like to Oscar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Cousins perturbed by Lucinda's style of dress when she lives at her boarding house?
2. How does Oscar react to seeing the track for the first time?
3. How does Oscar feel about his father when he comes to visit him at the Stratton's home?
4. Is the narrator's mother dedicated to the Church of St. John's?
5. How has Mrs. Stratton's passion for debate been a liability in her life?
6. Describe Theophilus' penchant for naming everything.
7. What happened when Oscar ate the Christmas pudding?
8. Describe Reverend Dennis Hasset.
9. How does Oscar feel about the sea?
10. Why does Lucinda move to Sydney?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the theme of addiction in this novel. In what ways do Theophilus, Oscar, Lucinda, and Wardley-Fish reveal their addictions? How do these addictions play an important role in their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Mr. Jeffris. What kind of person is he? How is his true nature revealed during the expedition? Provide textual examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Oscar's reaction to Lucinda's prototype. What kind of language does he use to express his opinion of it? How does his reaction help Lucinda understand something about her feelings for him?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)