|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theophilus check every morning as Oscar stands on a footstool?
2. How old is Oscar when he leaves his father's home?
3. Who earns a sixpence a week?
4. What is the name of the phenomenon having to do with glass that Lucinda witnessed as a young girl with her father?
5. What is Lucinda's state of mind when she first arrives on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Reverend Dennis Hasset.
2. What happens when Oscar runs away from his father's house and tries to go to Reverend Stratton's home?
3. Why is Mrs. Cousins perturbed by Lucinda's style of dress when she lives at her boarding house?
4. Is Elizabeth Leplastrier well-liked by the people of New South Wales?
5. Describe how Lucinda meets Oscar on board the Leviathan.
6. Why does Lucinda move to Sydney?
7. Why did Oscar inscribe symbols along the footpath?
8. Why is it so complicated to get Oscar to board the Leviathan?
9. What is Dennis Hasset's reaction to meeting Lucinda?
10. Why does Lucinda like to go to Mr. d'Abb's house in the evenings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Oscar's reception at the glassworks factory with that of Lucinda's. How is he accepted and treated well? How does Lucinda react to Oscar's reception?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Ian Wardley-Fish. What role does he play in the novel? How has he influenced Oscar in both positive and negative ways?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Oscar's reaction to Lucinda's prototype. What kind of language does he use to express his opinion of it? How does his reaction help Lucinda understand something about her feelings for him?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)