|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days after he leaves does it take Lucinda to open Oscar's envelope?
2. When Lucinda is talking with Dennis in Chapter 62, what does she take on and off?
(a) Her gloves.
3. What was the funny name of the steward who attended Oscar when he was sick on board the ship?
4. Why is Mr. Borradaile upset when Lucinda joins his table for dinner?
(a) He is shy in front of women.
(b) Women restrict the natural flow of conversation.
(c) He thinks she talks too little.
(d) She is too shy for his taste.
5. What is Oscar's response when Lucinda says he has still not absolved her after her confession?
(a) "I need my Bible."
(b) "I'm sure you know what to do."
(c) "Where is the sin?"
(d) "We'll do it later."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oscar ask Lucinda when he is worried about her reputation?
2. How much does Mr. Stratton plan to bet at the racetrack his first time there?
3. What does Oscar say about the prototype Lucinda shows him in her office?
4. What does Lucinda sneak out of the house to do late at night while Oscar is living with her?
5. Where did Lucinda escape to when the ship stopped at a harbor in Chapter 60?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oscar's enthusiastic description of the phosphorescence phenomenon end up making him feel lonely and left out?
2. Does Lucinda consider Oscar as a potential husband?
3. Why is Lucinda angry that Mr. Phelps invited her and Oscar for a tour of the factory?
4. How does Oscar react to seeing Lucinda's prototype for a glass building?
5. When does Lucinda finally realize that Oscar must love her?
6. What is the state of the glassworks factory when Lucinda returns to Sydney?
7. Why does Mrs. Smith change her mind about working as Lucinda's housekeeper?
8. Does Oscar believe he can withstand anything for Lucinda's love?
9. Why is Wardley-Fish thwarted in his attempts to catch up with Oscar on the expedition?
10. Does Lucinda get along with Horace Borrodaile?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)