|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Oscar's response when Lucinda says he has still not absolved her after her confession?
(a) "We'll do it later."
(b) "Where is the sin?"
(c) "I'm sure you know what to do."
(d) "I need my Bible."
2. What does the head steward announce at dinner is on view on the above deck in Chapter 52?
(b) A statute.
(c) Dance group.
(d) Choral group.
3. What does Lucinda call Mr. Ahearn when he visits that makes him blush?
(a) Her long lost friend.
4. What does Oscar say about the prototype Lucinda shows him in her office?
(a) It is fit for angels.
(b) It is a bad idea.
(c) It looks funny.
(d) It will not work.
5. What does Lucinda call Oscar that makes the other players scatter?
(c) Your Highness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Oscar say it will take him to build and deliver the glass church to Dennis?
2. How does Oscar decide about taking a job offer in Chapter 75?
3. How far does Mr. Phelps walk with his son to see Lucinda and Oscar at her home?
4. After Easter, what does Lucinda advertise for?
5. Who do the Strattons run into on their way to the racetrack at Newton Abbot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Wardley-Fish thwarted in his attempts to catch up with Oscar on the expedition?
2. Does Lucinda get along with Horace Borrodaile?
3. What scandal do Lucinda and Oscar create?
4. Why does Percy Smith give Oscar laudanum on the journey?
5. What is the state of the glassworks factory when Lucinda returns to Sydney?
6. What convinces Oscar to go up to first class and seek out Lucinda?
7. Why is Lucinda angry that Mr. Phelps invited her and Oscar for a tour of the factory?
8. How does Oscar's enthusiastic description of the phosphorescence phenomenon end up making him feel lonely and left out?
9. What happens when Lucinda goes to gamble at the Chinese establishment on George Street?
10. Why does Miriam Chadwick wear black?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)