|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who mostly inhabits the parish near Boat Harbour?
(a) Wealthy landowners.
2. How does Oscar decide about taking a job offer in Chapter 75?
(a) By flipping a coin.
(b) By asking his father's advice.
(c) By meditating.
(d) By praying.
3. What offends his co-workers when Oscar starts his new job as a clerk?
(a) His bad language.
(b) He reads Bible passages to them.
(c) Serious body odor.
(d) He sings loudly.
4. What does Oscar tell God that he will never do again when he is lying sick in his room on board the ship?
(c) Smoke a cigarette.
(d) Tell a lie.
5. What happens to Wardley-Fish as he follows Oscar's expedition and comes across a man with a mask?
(a) He is robbed.
(b) He is thrown in the water.
(c) He is kidnapped.
(d) He is tied to a tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the steward do when he comes to deliver Lucinda's tea and sees Lucinda's lure?
2. What does Mrs. d'Abbs press into Oscar's hand when he and Lucinda leave her house after arguing with her husband?
3. What does Mr. d'Abbs tell Lucinda that Jeffris loves?
4. What does Lucinda sneak out of the house to do late at night while Oscar is living with her?
5. What trap does Lucinda set to lure the stewards when they come to her stateroom in Chapter 56?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oscar's enthusiastic description of the phosphorescence phenomenon end up making him feel lonely and left out?
2. Why is Lucinda angry that Mr. Phelps invited her and Oscar for a tour of the factory?
3. What scandal do Lucinda and Oscar create?
4. Why does Percy Smith give Oscar laudanum on the journey?
5. What convinces Oscar to go up to first class and seek out Lucinda?
6. Why does Miriam Chadwick wear black?
7. What is the state of the glassworks factory when Lucinda returns to Sydney?
8. How does Mr. Jeffris show his love of power as he prepares for the expedition?
9. Why do Horace Borrodaile and Percy Smith try to get Oscar to walk on the open deck?
10. Describe the events of Oscar and Lucinda's Christmas Day.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)