|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Easter, what does Lucinda advertise for?
(a) House painter.
(c) Construction worker.
(d) A female glassblower and partner.
2. What did Oscar do to the cards when the wave crashed over the deck?
(a) Shuffled them without concern.
(b) Threw them out the porthole.
(c) Threw them across the room.
(d) Handed them to Lucinda.
3. When Oscar's housekeeper warns him that his sermons are upsetting the congregation, what is he preaching about?
(a) The evils of gambling.
4. Why is Mr. Borradaile upset when Lucinda joins his table for dinner?
(a) Women restrict the natural flow of conversation.
(b) She is too shy for his taste.
(c) He thinks she talks too little.
(d) He is shy in front of women.
5. What trap does Lucinda set to lure the stewards when they come to her stateroom in Chapter 56?
(a) Gold jewelry.
(b) Rare coins.
(c) Cards and a stack of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who mostly inhabits the parish near Boat Harbour?
2. What does Lucinda long for when she is living again in Sydney after Dennis has left?
3. What game is Lucinda playing when she sees Oscar in Chapter 64?
4. What incident occurs in the glassworks factory that causes it to close?
5. In Chapter 80, what does Lucinda realize she feels for Oscar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Oscar believe he can withstand anything for Lucinda's love?
2. Why does Oscar hide his love for Lucinda?
3. Does Oscar's new congregation like him as a preacher?
4. Describe the events of Oscar and Lucinda's Christmas Day.
5. What are the circumstances under which Lucinda says her confession to Oscar?
6. Does Lucinda get along with Horace Borrodaile?
7. What happens when Lucinda goes to gamble at the Chinese establishment on George Street?
8. How does Oscar react to seeing Lucinda's prototype for a glass building?
9. Why is Lucinda angry that Mr. Phelps invited her and Oscar for a tour of the factory?
10. Why does Percy Smith give Oscar laudanum on the journey?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)