|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucinda confess when Oscar encourages her to make her confession?
(a) Her hatred of Dennis.
(b) Her love for him.
(c) That she stole money from her factory workers.
(d) Her addiction to gambling.
2. Who makes a formal inquiry into Dennis' sermons?
(a) The Pope.
(c) The Bishop of Sydney.
(d) Queen of England.
3. What does Wardley-Fish do when his boat passes Oscar's ship on its expedition journey?
(b) Sets off a flare.
(c) Dives into the water and tries to swim to the boat.
4. What phobia does Oscar explain to Lucinda when he visits her stateroom?
(a) His fear of the ocean.
(b) His fear of snakes.
(c) His fear of airplanes.
(d) His fear of heights.
5. What does Lucinda wager in her bet with Oscar about delivering a glass church to Dennis?
(a) Her house.
(b) Her special cards.
(c) Her glass factory.
(d) Her entire fortune.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Lucinda hire any maids in Chapter 73?
2. What does Lucinda think of Mr. Borradaile?
3. When Lucinda is talking with Dennis in Chapter 62, what does she take on and off?
4. Before heading up to Lucinda's stateroom, Oscar goes to his room to retrieve his:
5. When Oscar reveals his knowledge of gambling during Lucinda's confession, what does Lucinda say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scandal do Lucinda and Oscar create?
2. How does Lucinda feel about Dennis leaving Sydney to go to a parish near Boat Harbour?
3. Does Lucinda get along with Horace Borrodaile?
4. When does Lucinda visit her glassworks factory?
5. Why does Miriam Chadwick wear black?
6. Why does Mrs. Smith change her mind about working as Lucinda's housekeeper?
7. How does Lucinda grow comfortable around Oscar and begin to admire him again?
8. Why do Horace Borrodaile and Percy Smith try to get Oscar to walk on the open deck?
9. How does Mr. Jeffris show his love of power as he prepares for the expedition?
10. Why does Percy Smith give Oscar laudanum on the journey?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)