|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Horace Borrodaile speak about in his monologues on board the ship?
(a) His factory receipts.
(b) The articles he has published.
(c) Politics, hunting, and taxes.
(d) The state of his farmland.
2. Who is Mrs. Smith?
(a) Lucinda's aunt.
(b) Oscar's cook.
(c) Lucinda's new maid
(d) Dennis' sister.
3. What phobia does Oscar explain to Lucinda when he visits her stateroom?
(a) His fear of airplanes.
(b) His fear of snakes.
(c) His fear of the ocean.
(d) His fear of heights.
4. What does Mr.Jeffris do to Oscar after Oscar makes a big fuss when there is shooting on the expedition?
(a) Blinds him with mace.
(b) Ties him to a tree.
(c) Stuffs his mouth with a sock.
(d) Knocks him out.
5. How far does Mr. Phelps walk with his son to see Lucinda and Oscar at her home?
(a) Two miles.
(b) 100 yards.
(c) Six miles.
(d) Half a mile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oscar say about the prototype Lucinda shows him in her office?
2. Who makes a formal inquiry into Dennis' sermons?
3. When Oscar's housekeeper warns him that his sermons are upsetting the congregation, what is he preaching about?
4. How does Dennis think Lucinda looks when he sees her after she returns to Sydney?
5. Where does Oscar take Lucinda to dinner in Chapter 82?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Wardley-Fish thwarted in his attempts to catch up with Oscar on the expedition?
2. Why does Mrs. Smith change her mind about working as Lucinda's housekeeper?
3. Why does Miriam Chadwick wear black?
4. How does Lucinda grow comfortable around Oscar and begin to admire him again?
5. What happens when Lucinda goes to gamble at the Chinese establishment on George Street?
6. What is the state of the glassworks factory when Lucinda returns to Sydney?
7. Why does Oscar hide his love for Lucinda?
8. Why do Horace Borrodaile and Percy Smith try to get Oscar to walk on the open deck?
9. Does Lucinda consider Oscar as a potential husband?
10. What are the circumstances under which Lucinda says her confession to Oscar?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)