|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days is Wardley-Fish imprisoned in Sydney?
2. When Lucinda is talking with Dennis in Chapter 62, what does she take on and off?
(b) Her gloves.
3. What was the sermon about that Lucinda and Oscar feel insulted by when they go to church on a religious holiday?
(a) People without compassion.
(b) Evils of adultery.
(c) Evils of gambling.
(d) The need for charity.
4. What does Oscar ask Lucinda when he is worried about her reputation?
(a) To marry Dennis.
(b) To take religious vows.
(c) To travel with him.
(d) To marry him.
5. What does Lucinda sneak out of the house to do late at night while Oscar is living with her?
(b) Visit friends.
(c) To look at the stars.
(d) She has a night job.
6. What game is Lucinda playing when she sees Oscar in Chapter 64?
(c) Five Card Draw.
7. What does Lucinda offer to Mr. Jeffris and his men so that they return Oscar safely?
(a) Better horses.
(b) Cash bonus.
(d) A wagon with a soft bed.
8. What is Bishop Dancer pleased with about Oscar's religious views when he interviews him?
(a) He is a fundamentalist.
(b) He believes in Darwinism.
(c) His belief that gambling is not a sin.
(d) His Catholic leanings.
9. Where did Lucinda escape to when the ship stopped at a harbor in Chapter 60?
(d) Cape Town.
10. Why can't Lucinda hire any maids in Chapter 73?
(a) They all know that Oscar is living with Lucinda.
(b) She does not have enough money.
(c) No one works hard enough for her.
(d) There is a shortage in the city.
11. When Lucinda and Oscar visit the glassworks factory, what do the men do?
(b) Set off fireworks.
(c) Sing a welcome song.
(d) Grimace and shake their heads.
12. What job does Arthur Phelps have?
(a) Head glassblower.
13. What has Oscar placed in the envelope for Lucinda?
(a) A lock of hair.
(b) A poem.
(d) His favorite pieces of glass.
14. What unresolved obligation does Oscar have at the beginning of Chapter 51?
(a) Pay back a loan to his father.
(b) To send a letter to Stratton.
(c) To set up a gambler's anonymous hotline.
(d) To hear Lucinda's confession.
15. What does the steward do when he comes to deliver Lucinda's tea and sees Lucinda's lure?
(a) Averts his eyes and wishes her a good night.
(b) Sits down at the table.
(c) Asks Lucinda if he can borrow it.
(d) Walks boldly up to the lure and examines it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the envelope that Lucinda gives to Oscar when Oscar leaves on the expedition?
2. Who offers Oscar a job as a clerk?
3. Who mostly inhabits the parish near Boat Harbour?
4. Who makes a formal inquiry into Dennis' sermons?
5. What does the head steward announce at dinner is on view on the above deck in Chapter 52?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)