|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game is Lucinda playing when she sees Oscar in Chapter 64?
(b) Five Card Draw.
2. Why is Mr. Borradaile upset when Lucinda joins his table for dinner?
(a) Women restrict the natural flow of conversation.
(b) She is too shy for his taste.
(c) He is shy in front of women.
(d) He thinks she talks too little.
3. What was the funny name of the steward who attended Oscar when he was sick on board the ship?
4. Where is Lucinda going at nine o'clock at night on her horse in Chapter 64?
(a) Main Street.
(b) George Street.
(d) Harbour Street.
5. What happens to Wardley-Fish as he follows Oscar's expedition and comes across a man with a mask?
(a) He is robbed.
(b) He is kidnapped.
(c) He is tied to a tree.
(d) He is thrown in the water.
6. What does Mr. Judd want to be able to do during services?
(a) Sing Handel's Messiah.
(b) Light the candles.
(c) Collect the offerings.
(d) Hand out programs.
7. What do the Narcoo see for the first time in the box that fell when Oscar is on the expedition?
8. When Oscar reveals his knowledge of gambling during Lucinda's confession, what does Lucinda say?
(a) "Don't tell anyone."
(b) "Don't say that!"
(c) "Mr. Hopkins, this is most improper."
(d) "Mr. Hopkins, you're making me blush."
9. What does Lucinda think of Mr. Borradaile?
(a) He is admirable.
(b) He is a barbarian.
(c) He is attractive to her.
(d) He is too silent.
10. After Easter, what does Lucinda advertise for?
(a) Construction worker.
(b) House painter.
(c) A female glassblower and partner.
11. What phobia does Oscar explain to Lucinda when he visits her stateroom?
(a) His fear of airplanes.
(b) His fear of snakes.
(c) His fear of the ocean.
(d) His fear of heights.
12. What card game do Oscar and Lucinda first play in her stateroom?
(c) Gin Rummy.
13. What does Lucinda long for when she is living again in Sydney after Dennis has left?
(a) To travel back to London.
(b) To go into the millinery trade.
(c) A family.
(d) To have Mrs. Cousins visit.
14. Who makes a formal inquiry into Dennis' sermons?
(a) The Pope.
(c) Queen of England.
(d) The Bishop of Sydney.
15. What did Oscar do to the cards when the wave crashed over the deck?
(a) Threw them out the porthole.
(b) Threw them across the room.
(c) Handed them to Lucinda.
(d) Shuffled them without concern.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offends his co-workers when Oscar starts his new job as a clerk?
2. Who do the Strattons run into on their way to the racetrack at Newton Abbot?
3. What does Mr.Jeffris do to Oscar after Oscar makes a big fuss when there is shooting on the expedition?
4. Where does Oscar take Lucinda to dinner in Chapter 82?
5. What is Bishop Dancer pleased with about Oscar's religious views when he interviews him?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)