|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Oscar lose his horse and carriage that his bishop gave him?
(a) The horse ran off and the carriage was destroyed.
(d) Gave it to a poor parishioner.
2. What does Mr. Smith force-feed Oscar to keep him quiet?
3. Who offers Oscar a job as a clerk?
(b) Mr. Ahearn.
(c) Mr. d'Abbs.
(d) Mr. Phelps.
4. What does Mr. Jeffris wish to be?
(a) An explorer.
(d) Sea captain.
5. What does Lucinda offer to Mr. Jeffris and his men so that they return Oscar safely?
(a) A wagon with a soft bed.
(c) Cash bonus.
(d) Better horses.
6. When Lucinda and Oscar visit the glassworks factory, what do the men do?
(a) Sing a welcome song.
(b) Grimace and shake their heads.
(c) Set off fireworks.
7. When Oscar reveals his knowledge of gambling during Lucinda's confession, what does Lucinda say?
(a) "Don't say that!"
(b) "Mr. Hopkins, this is most improper."
(c) "Don't tell anyone."
(d) "Mr. Hopkins, you're making me blush."
8. What does Lucinda think of Mr. Borradaile?
(a) He is admirable.
(b) He is a barbarian.
(c) He is too silent.
(d) He is attractive to her.
9. Where did Lucinda escape to when the ship stopped at a harbor in Chapter 60?
(b) Cape Town.
10. Why does Mr. Jeffris hire a trumpeter?
(a) It is his favorite instrument.
(b) To lead his expedition to glory.
(c) He is starting a jazz band.
(d) To wake him in the morning.
11. Who is Mrs. Judd?
(b) Oscar's laundress.
(c) Oscar's housekeeper.
12. What nickname does Mr. Jeffris call Oscar?
(a) Holy man.
(b) Mr. Smudge.
(c) The drudge.
(d) Odd Oscar.
13. What do the Narcoo see for the first time in the box that fell when Oscar is on the expedition?
14. What does Mr. Jeffris appoint Mr. Smith to be on the expedition?
(b) Oscar's keeper.
(c) Note taker.
(d) Horse handler.
15. In Chapter 80, what does Lucinda realize she feels for Oscar?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucinda realize has hurt Dennis' reputation and career?
2. How does Oscar decide about taking a job offer in Chapter 75?
3. What does Lucinda hurl at the wall when she becomes frustrated by Oscar?
4. What is the name of the vicarage that Oscar is vicar of?
5. When Lucinda is talking with Dennis in Chapter 62, what does she take on and off?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)