|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Oscar lose his horse and carriage that his bishop gave him?
(b) Gave it to a poor parishioner.
(c) The horse ran off and the carriage was destroyed.
2. Who offers Oscar a job as a clerk?
(b) Mr. Phelps.
(c) Mr. d'Abbs.
(d) Mr. Ahearn.
3. What did Oscar do to the cards when the wave crashed over the deck?
(a) Shuffled them without concern.
(b) Threw them across the room.
(c) Handed them to Lucinda.
(d) Threw them out the porthole.
4. What is Oscar's response when Lucinda says he has still not absolved her after her confession?
(a) "We'll do it later."
(b) "Where is the sin?"
(c) "I'm sure you know what to do."
(d) "I need my Bible."
5. Where does Oscar take Lucinda to dinner in Chapter 82?
(a) Petri Hotel.
(b) Belmont. Hotel.
(c) The Coat and Arms.
(d) Oriental Hotel.
6. What card game do Oscar and Lucinda first play in her stateroom?
(d) Gin Rummy.
7. What is Bishop Dancer pleased with about Oscar's religious views when he interviews him?
(a) His belief that gambling is not a sin.
(b) He believes in Darwinism.
(c) His Catholic leanings.
(d) He is a fundamentalist.
8. Before heading up to Lucinda's stateroom, Oscar goes to his room to retrieve his:
9. What does Lucinda offer to Mr. Jeffris and his men so that they return Oscar safely?
(a) Better horses.
(b) Cash bonus.
(d) A wagon with a soft bed.
10. What does Oscar tell God that he will never do again when he is lying sick in his room on board the ship?
(a) Smoke a cigarette.
(c) Tell a lie.
11. After Easter, what does Lucinda advertise for?
(a) House painter.
(c) A female glassblower and partner.
(d) Construction worker.
12. What does the head steward announce at dinner is on view on the above deck in Chapter 52?
(a) Choral group.
(b) Dance group.
(c) A statute.
13. What does Mrs. d'Abbs press into Oscar's hand when he and Lucinda leave her house after arguing with her husband?
14. What was the sermon about that Lucinda and Oscar feel insulted by when they go to church on a religious holiday?
(a) The need for charity.
(b) Evils of gambling.
(c) People without compassion.
(d) Evils of adultery.
15. Who does Oscar believe that Lucinda is in love with?
(a) Mr. Phelps.
(c) Mr. d'Abbs.
(d) Mr. Jeffris.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes a formal inquiry into Dennis' sermons?
2. Where did Lucinda escape to when the ship stopped at a harbor in Chapter 60?
3. What dream does Lucinda have but doesn't tell Oscar about in Chapter 77?
4. What does Lucinda call Oscar that makes the other players scatter?
5. What does Lucinda wager in her bet with Oscar about delivering a glass church to Dennis?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)