|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Judd want to be able to do during services?
(a) Hand out programs.
(b) Collect the offerings.
(c) Sing Handel's Messiah.
(d) Light the candles.
2. Who offers Oscar a job as a clerk?
(a) Mr. Phelps.
(b) Mr. Ahearn.
(d) Mr. d'Abbs.
3. What game is Lucinda playing when she sees Oscar in Chapter 64?
(c) Five Card Draw.
4. What does Lucinda think of Mr. Borradaile?
(a) He is admirable.
(b) He is a barbarian.
(c) He is too silent.
(d) He is attractive to her.
5. What is Bishop Dancer pleased with about Oscar's religious views when he interviews him?
(a) His belief that gambling is not a sin.
(b) His Catholic leanings.
(c) He is a fundamentalist.
(d) He believes in Darwinism.
6. What does Mrs. Smith call the deep wounds on the back of Oscar's hands?
(a) Accident with a saw.
(b) Infection caused by a disease.
(c) Prayer wounds.
(d) Dog bites.
7. What trap does Lucinda set to lure the stewards when they come to her stateroom in Chapter 56?
(a) Cards and a stack of money.
(b) Rare coins.
(d) Gold jewelry.
8. How long does Oscar say it will take him to build and deliver the glass church to Dennis?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two months.
(d) Within five weeks.
9. Before heading up to Lucinda's stateroom, Oscar goes to his room to retrieve his:
10. What does Lucinda confess when Oscar encourages her to make her confession?
(a) That she stole money from her factory workers.
(b) Her addiction to gambling.
(c) Her hatred of Dennis.
(d) Her love for him.
11. Why can't Lucinda hire any maids in Chapter 73?
(a) No one works hard enough for her.
(b) They all know that Oscar is living with Lucinda.
(c) There is a shortage in the city.
(d) She does not have enough money.
12. What does Lucinda sneak out of the house to do late at night while Oscar is living with her?
(a) Visit friends.
(c) She has a night job.
(d) To look at the stars.
13. What job does Arthur Phelps have?
(a) Head glassblower.
14. How did Oscar lose his horse and carriage that his bishop gave him?
(b) The horse ran off and the carriage was destroyed.
(d) Gave it to a poor parishioner.
15. What does Lucinda long for when she is living again in Sydney after Dennis has left?
(a) To have Mrs. Cousins visit.
(b) To go into the millinery trade.
(c) To travel back to London.
(d) A family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucinda call Mr. Ahearn when he visits that makes him blush?
2. How does Oscar describe the glassworks factory to Lucinda after he has chased her to her office?
3. What does Lucinda wager in her bet with Oscar about delivering a glass church to Dennis?
4. What is Oscar's response when Lucinda says he has still not absolved her after her confession?
5. What did Oscar do to the cards when the wave crashed over the deck?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)