|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who offers Oscar a job as a clerk?
(a) Mr. d'Abbs.
(b) Mr. Ahearn.
(c) Mr. Phelps.
2. What does Mr. Judd want to be able to do during services?
(a) Hand out programs.
(b) Collect the offerings.
(c) Sing Handel's Messiah.
(d) Light the candles.
3. Who mostly inhabits the parish near Boat Harbour?
(b) Wealthy landowners.
4. What was the sermon about that Lucinda and Oscar feel insulted by when they go to church on a religious holiday?
(a) Evils of gambling.
(b) People without compassion.
(c) The need for charity.
(d) Evils of adultery.
5. Where did Lucinda escape to when the ship stopped at a harbor in Chapter 60?
(d) Cape Town.
6. How does Oscar decide about taking a job offer in Chapter 75?
(a) By meditating.
(b) By flipping a coin.
(c) By asking his father's advice.
(d) By praying.
7. What does Mr. Jeffris wish to be?
(a) An explorer.
(b) Sea captain.
8. What was the funny name of the steward who attended Oscar when he was sick on board the ship?
9. Who do the Strattons run into on their way to the racetrack at Newton Abbot?
10. What does Lucinda call Mr. Ahearn when he visits that makes him blush?
(c) Her long lost friend.
11. What does Lucinda realize has hurt Dennis' reputation and career?
(a) A mysterious death in his house.
(b) Her association with him.
(c) An affair with one of his parishioners.
12. What does Lucinda wager in her bet with Oscar about delivering a glass church to Dennis?
(a) Her glass factory.
(b) Her entire fortune.
(c) Her house.
(d) Her special cards.
13. What does Lucinda sneak out of the house to do late at night while Oscar is living with her?
(a) To look at the stars.
(b) Visit friends.
(c) She has a night job.
14. In Chapter 80, what does Lucinda realize she feels for Oscar?
15. How many days after he leaves does it take Lucinda to open Oscar's envelope?
Short Answer Questions
1. What trap does Lucinda set to lure the stewards when they come to her stateroom in Chapter 56?
2. What does the head steward announce at dinner is on view on the above deck in Chapter 52?
3. What does Lucinda offer to Mr. Jeffris and his men so that they return Oscar safely?
4. Who does Oscar believe that Lucinda is in love with?
5. What does Mr. d'Abbs tell Lucinda that Jeffris loves?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)