|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the vicarage that Oscar is vicar of?
(a) St. John's.
2. How many days is Wardley-Fish imprisoned in Sydney?
3. What does Lucinda call Oscar that makes the other players scatter?
(a) Your Highness.
4. What does Oscar tell God that he will never do again when he is lying sick in his room on board the ship?
(c) Tell a lie.
(d) Smoke a cigarette.
5. How far does Mr. Phelps walk with his son to see Lucinda and Oscar at her home?
(a) Six miles.
(b) Half a mile.
(c) Two miles.
(d) 100 yards.
6. Why is Mr. Borradaile upset when Lucinda joins his table for dinner?
(a) She is too shy for his taste.
(b) Women restrict the natural flow of conversation.
(c) He thinks she talks too little.
(d) He is shy in front of women.
7. What offends his co-workers when Oscar starts his new job as a clerk?
(a) Serious body odor.
(b) He sings loudly.
(c) His bad language.
(d) He reads Bible passages to them.
8. What does Mr.Jeffris do to Oscar after Oscar makes a big fuss when there is shooting on the expedition?
(a) Stuffs his mouth with a sock.
(b) Ties him to a tree.
(c) Knocks him out.
(d) Blinds him with mace.
9. What does the steward do when he comes to deliver Lucinda's tea and sees Lucinda's lure?
(a) Asks Lucinda if he can borrow it.
(b) Sits down at the table.
(c) Averts his eyes and wishes her a good night.
(d) Walks boldly up to the lure and examines it.
10. What does Lucinda confess when Oscar encourages her to make her confession?
(a) Her hatred of Dennis.
(b) Her love for him.
(c) Her addiction to gambling.
(d) That she stole money from her factory workers.
11. What does Lucinda offer to Mr. Jeffris and his men so that they return Oscar safely?
(a) Cash bonus.
(c) A wagon with a soft bed.
(d) Better horses.
12. How does Dennis think Lucinda looks when he sees her after she returns to Sydney?
(a) Like a fool.
(b) Like a teenager.
13. What does Lucinda long for when she is living again in Sydney after Dennis has left?
(a) To go into the millinery trade.
(b) A family.
(c) To travel back to London.
(d) To have Mrs. Cousins visit.
14. What job does Arthur Phelps have?
(c) Head glassblower.
15. What does Mr. Jeffris wish to be?
(a) Sea captain.
(b) An explorer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the head steward announce at dinner is on view on the above deck in Chapter 52?
2. What is Oscar's response when Lucinda says he has still not absolved her after her confession?
3. What does Lucinda realize has hurt Dennis' reputation and career?
4. What does Oscar say about the prototype Lucinda shows him in her office?
5. How did Oscar lose his horse and carriage that his bishop gave him?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)