|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucinda confess when Oscar encourages her to make her confession?
(a) Her addiction to gambling.
(b) Her love for him.
(c) Her hatred of Dennis.
(d) That she stole money from her factory workers.
2. What does Oscar ask Lucinda when he is worried about her reputation?
(a) To marry him.
(b) To travel with him.
(c) To marry Dennis.
(d) To take religious vows.
3. When Lucinda and Oscar visit the glassworks factory, what do the men do?
(b) Set off fireworks.
(c) Grimace and shake their heads.
(d) Sing a welcome song.
4. When Lucinda is talking with Dennis in Chapter 62, what does she take on and off?
(b) Her gloves.
5. What does Lucinda wager in her bet with Oscar about delivering a glass church to Dennis?
(a) Her house.
(b) Her glass factory.
(c) Her entire fortune.
(d) Her special cards.
6. What incident occurs in the glassworks factory that causes it to close?
(a) A young boy is injured.
7. What does Lucinda call Oscar that makes the other players scatter?
(c) Your Highness.
8. What was the funny name of the steward who attended Oscar when he was sick on board the ship?
9. Where is Lucinda going at nine o'clock at night on her horse in Chapter 64?
(a) Harbour Street.
(b) Main Street.
(d) George Street.
10. What does Mrs. d'Abbs press into Oscar's hand when he and Lucinda leave her house after arguing with her husband?
11. Before heading up to Lucinda's stateroom, Oscar goes to his room to retrieve his:
12. How far does Mr. Phelps walk with his son to see Lucinda and Oscar at her home?
(a) 100 yards.
(b) Half a mile.
(c) Two miles.
(d) Six miles.
13. When Oscar reveals his knowledge of gambling during Lucinda's confession, what does Lucinda say?
(a) "Mr. Hopkins, this is most improper."
(b) "Don't tell anyone."
(c) "Don't say that!"
(d) "Mr. Hopkins, you're making me blush."
14. What does Lucinda do after Oscar wakes up from his faint in her stateroom?
(a) Keeps him there until he is able to walk by himself.
(b) Calls Mr. Smith to help her.
(c) Calls two stewards to bring him to his room.
(d) Help him walk to his room.
15. Why is Mr. Borradaile upset when Lucinda joins his table for dinner?
(a) He is shy in front of women.
(b) Women restrict the natural flow of conversation.
(c) He thinks she talks too little.
(d) She is too shy for his taste.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the vicarage that Oscar is vicar of?
2. Where did Lucinda escape to when the ship stopped at a harbor in Chapter 60?
3. What has Oscar placed in the envelope for Lucinda?
4. What do the Narcoo see for the first time in the box that fell when Oscar is on the expedition?
5. Who makes a formal inquiry into Dennis' sermons?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)