|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the sermon about that Lucinda and Oscar feel insulted by when they go to church on a religious holiday?
(a) Evils of adultery.
(b) The need for charity.
(c) Evils of gambling.
(d) People without compassion.
2. What does Oscar say about the prototype Lucinda shows him in her office?
(a) It is a bad idea.
(b) It is fit for angels.
(c) It will not work.
(d) It looks funny.
3. What does the steward do when he comes to deliver Lucinda's tea and sees Lucinda's lure?
(a) Asks Lucinda if he can borrow it.
(b) Sits down at the table.
(c) Walks boldly up to the lure and examines it.
(d) Averts his eyes and wishes her a good night.
4. What phobia does Oscar explain to Lucinda when he visits her stateroom?
(a) His fear of the ocean.
(b) His fear of snakes.
(c) His fear of heights.
(d) His fear of airplanes.
5. What does Lucinda call Mr. Ahearn when he visits that makes him blush?
(a) Her long lost friend.
6. What incident occurs in the glassworks factory that causes it to close?
(a) A young boy is injured.
7. Who is Mrs. Smith?
(a) Lucinda's aunt.
(b) Lucinda's new maid
(c) Dennis' sister.
(d) Oscar's cook.
8. What does Mrs. d'Abbs press into Oscar's hand when he and Lucinda leave her house after arguing with her husband?
9. What does Lucinda hurl at the wall when she becomes frustrated by Oscar?
(a) Wine Glass.
(d) Tea cup.
10. How many days is Wardley-Fish imprisoned in Sydney?
11. Where is Lucinda going at nine o'clock at night on her horse in Chapter 64?
(a) Main Street.
(b) George Street.
(d) Harbour Street.
12. When Lucinda is talking with Dennis in Chapter 62, what does she take on and off?
(c) Her gloves.
13. What is Oscar's response when Lucinda says he has still not absolved her after her confession?
(a) "We'll do it later."
(b) "I'm sure you know what to do."
(c) "Where is the sin?"
(d) "I need my Bible."
14. What does Wardley-Fish do when his boat passes Oscar's ship on its expedition journey?
(a) Sets off a flare.
(c) Dives into the water and tries to swim to the boat.
15. Where does Oscar take Lucinda to dinner in Chapter 82?
(a) Oriental Hotel.
(b) Belmont. Hotel.
(c) The Coat and Arms.
(d) Petri Hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucinda think of Mr. Borradaile?
2. How does Oscar decide about taking a job offer in Chapter 75?
3. How does Oscar describe the glassworks factory to Lucinda after he has chased her to her office?
4. What does Lucinda long for when she is living again in Sydney after Dennis has left?
5. How long does Oscar say it will take him to build and deliver the glass church to Dennis?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)