|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Oscar decide about taking a job offer in Chapter 75?
(a) By flipping a coin.
(b) By meditating.
(c) By praying.
(d) By asking his father's advice.
2. How far does Mr. Phelps walk with his son to see Lucinda and Oscar at her home?
(a) Half a mile.
(b) Two miles.
(c) 100 yards.
(d) Six miles.
3. What does Mrs. Smith call the deep wounds on the back of Oscar's hands?
(a) Infection caused by a disease.
(b) Prayer wounds.
(c) Dog bites.
(d) Accident with a saw.
4. What does Lucinda realize has hurt Dennis' reputation and career?
(a) An affair with one of his parishioners.
(b) Her association with him.
(c) A mysterious death in his house.
5. How does Dennis think Lucinda looks when he sees her after she returns to Sydney?
(a) Like a fool.
(b) Like a teenager.
6. What does Lucinda long for when she is living again in Sydney after Dennis has left?
(a) To travel back to London.
(b) A family.
(c) To have Mrs. Cousins visit.
(d) To go into the millinery trade.
7. After Easter, what does Lucinda advertise for?
(a) House painter.
(b) A female glassblower and partner.
(d) Construction worker.
8. What does Lucinda do after Oscar wakes up from his faint in her stateroom?
(a) Calls Mr. Smith to help her.
(b) Help him walk to his room.
(c) Keeps him there until he is able to walk by himself.
(d) Calls two stewards to bring him to his room.
9. What has Oscar placed in the envelope for Lucinda?
(b) A lock of hair.
(c) A poem.
(d) His favorite pieces of glass.
10. When Oscar reveals his knowledge of gambling during Lucinda's confession, what does Lucinda say?
(a) "Mr. Hopkins, you're making me blush."
(b) "Don't say that!"
(c) "Don't tell anyone."
(d) "Mr. Hopkins, this is most improper."
11. Why can't Lucinda hire any maids in Chapter 73?
(a) She does not have enough money.
(b) No one works hard enough for her.
(c) They all know that Oscar is living with Lucinda.
(d) There is a shortage in the city.
12. Who offers Oscar a job as a clerk?
(a) Mr. Ahearn.
(b) Mr. d'Abbs.
(d) Mr. Phelps.
13. What does Lucinda confess when Oscar encourages her to make her confession?
(a) Her addiction to gambling.
(b) Her love for him.
(c) That she stole money from her factory workers.
(d) Her hatred of Dennis.
14. What does Mr.Jeffris do to Oscar after Oscar makes a big fuss when there is shooting on the expedition?
(a) Ties him to a tree.
(b) Blinds him with mace.
(c) Stuffs his mouth with a sock.
(d) Knocks him out.
15. How many days is Wardley-Fish imprisoned in Sydney?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucinda wager in her bet with Oscar about delivering a glass church to Dennis?
2. What nickname does Mr. Jeffris call Oscar?
3. What does Lucinda hurl at the wall when she becomes frustrated by Oscar?
4. What does Mr. Jeffris appoint Mr. Smith to be on the expedition?
5. How does Oscar originally plan to transport the church to Dennis?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)