|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Oscar do to the cards when the wave crashed over the deck?
(a) Shuffled them without concern.
(b) Threw them out the porthole.
(c) Threw them across the room.
(d) Handed them to Lucinda.
2. What does Lucinda confess when Oscar encourages her to make her confession?
(a) That she stole money from her factory workers.
(b) Her love for him.
(c) Her addiction to gambling.
(d) Her hatred of Dennis.
3. In Chapter 80, what does Lucinda realize she feels for Oscar?
4. What does Mr. Judd want to be able to do during services?
(a) Light the candles.
(b) Sing Handel's Messiah.
(c) Hand out programs.
(d) Collect the offerings.
5. What do the Narcoo see for the first time in the box that fell when Oscar is on the expedition?
6. How does Oscar describe the glassworks factory to Lucinda after he has chased her to her office?
(c) In bad repair.
7. What does Lucinda long for when she is living again in Sydney after Dennis has left?
(a) To go into the millinery trade.
(b) To travel back to London.
(c) A family.
(d) To have Mrs. Cousins visit.
8. What nickname does Mr. Jeffris call Oscar?
(a) Holy man.
(b) Odd Oscar.
(c) Mr. Smudge.
(d) The drudge.
9. When Lucinda and Oscar visit the glassworks factory, what do the men do?
(b) Set off fireworks.
(c) Sing a welcome song.
(d) Grimace and shake their heads.
10. How much does Mr. Stratton plan to bet at the racetrack his first time there?
(a) One hundred quid.
(b) His entire life savings.
(c) One pound.
(d) Twenty pounds.
11. What does Lucinda realize has hurt Dennis' reputation and career?
(a) An affair with one of his parishioners.
(b) A mysterious death in his house.
(d) Her association with him.
12. What does Lucinda say she envies about Oscar when they are dining out and discussing Oscar's idea of a glass church?
(a) The way he dresses.
(b) He knows his own value.
(c) His close relationship with his father.
(d) His red hair.
13. What has Oscar placed in the envelope for Lucinda?
(b) His favorite pieces of glass.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) A poem.
14. What does Lucinda call Oscar that makes the other players scatter?
(b) Your Highness.
15. Who makes a formal inquiry into Dennis' sermons?
(a) The Pope.
(c) Queen of England.
(d) The Bishop of Sydney.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the vicarage that Oscar is vicar of?
2. Who mostly inhabits the parish near Boat Harbour?
3. What does Horace Borrodaile speak about in his monologues on board the ship?
4. What does Lucinda do after Oscar wakes up from his faint in her stateroom?
5. What incident occurs in the glassworks factory that causes it to close?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)