|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucinda call Mr. Ahearn when he visits that makes him blush?
(d) Her long lost friend.
2. What game is Lucinda playing when she sees Oscar in Chapter 64?
(b) Five Card Draw.
3. Who makes a formal inquiry into Dennis' sermons?
(a) The Bishop of Sydney.
(c) Queen of England.
(d) The Pope.
4. When Lucinda is talking with Dennis in Chapter 62, what does she take on and off?
(d) Her gloves.
5. What does the steward do when he comes to deliver Lucinda's tea and sees Lucinda's lure?
(a) Averts his eyes and wishes her a good night.
(b) Walks boldly up to the lure and examines it.
(c) Asks Lucinda if he can borrow it.
(d) Sits down at the table.
6. What does Mrs. Smith call the deep wounds on the back of Oscar's hands?
(a) Accident with a saw.
(b) Infection caused by a disease.
(c) Prayer wounds.
(d) Dog bites.
7. What did Oscar do to the cards when the wave crashed over the deck?
(a) Threw them out the porthole.
(b) Handed them to Lucinda.
(c) Shuffled them without concern.
(d) Threw them across the room.
8. What incident occurs in the glassworks factory that causes it to close?
(b) A young boy is injured.
9. What unresolved obligation does Oscar have at the beginning of Chapter 51?
(a) To hear Lucinda's confession.
(b) Pay back a loan to his father.
(c) To set up a gambler's anonymous hotline.
(d) To send a letter to Stratton.
10. How does Oscar describe the glassworks factory to Lucinda after he has chased her to her office?
(c) In bad repair.
11. Who offers Oscar a job as a clerk?
(a) Mr. Ahearn.
(b) Mr. d'Abbs.
(d) Mr. Phelps.
12. What happens to Wardley-Fish as he follows Oscar's expedition and comes across a man with a mask?
(a) He is kidnapped.
(b) He is thrown in the water.
(c) He is tied to a tree.
(d) He is robbed.
13. What has Oscar placed in the envelope for Lucinda?
(a) A poem.
(b) A lock of hair.
(d) His favorite pieces of glass.
14. What does Lucinda hurl at the wall when she becomes frustrated by Oscar?
(c) Tea cup.
(d) Wine Glass.
15. What does Mrs. d'Abbs press into Oscar's hand when he and Lucinda leave her house after arguing with her husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Oscar reveals his knowledge of gambling during Lucinda's confession, what does Lucinda say?
2. What does Wardley-Fish do when his boat passes Oscar's ship on its expedition journey?
3. What does Lucinda say she envies about Oscar when they are dining out and discussing Oscar's idea of a glass church?
4. When Lucinda and Oscar visit the glassworks factory, what do the men do?
5. What does Lucinda realize has hurt Dennis' reputation and career?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)