|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the funny name of the steward who attended Oscar when he was sick on board the ship?
2. How long does Oscar say it will take him to build and deliver the glass church to Dennis?
(a) Within five weeks.
(b) One year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two months.
3. Who offers Oscar a job as a clerk?
(b) Mr. Phelps.
(c) Mr. Ahearn.
(d) Mr. d'Abbs.
4. What does Wardley-Fish do when his boat passes Oscar's ship on its expedition journey?
(b) Dives into the water and tries to swim to the boat.
(d) Sets off a flare.
5. How does Oscar describe the glassworks factory to Lucinda after he has chased her to her office?
(d) In bad repair.
6. When does Mr. Jeffris visit Lucinda and Oscar at their home?
(a) Christmas night.
(b) Lucinda's birthday.
(c) New Year's.
7. What does Mr. Jeffris appoint Mr. Smith to be on the expedition?
(a) Note taker.
(b) Horse handler.
(c) Oscar's keeper.
8. What does Oscar say about the prototype Lucinda shows him in her office?
(a) It is fit for angels.
(b) It is a bad idea.
(c) It will not work.
(d) It looks funny.
9. When Lucinda and Oscar visit the glassworks factory, what do the men do?
(a) Grimace and shake their heads.
(b) Set off fireworks.
(d) Sing a welcome song.
10. Who makes a formal inquiry into Dennis' sermons?
(a) Queen of England.
(b) The Pope.
(d) The Bishop of Sydney.
11. What does Horace Borrodaile speak about in his monologues on board the ship?
(a) His factory receipts.
(b) The articles he has published.
(c) Politics, hunting, and taxes.
(d) The state of his farmland.
12. Why is Mr. Borradaile upset when Lucinda joins his table for dinner?
(a) She is too shy for his taste.
(b) He is shy in front of women.
(c) Women restrict the natural flow of conversation.
(d) He thinks she talks too little.
13. What does Lucinda call Oscar that makes the other players scatter?
(d) Your Highness.
14. How did Oscar lose his horse and carriage that his bishop gave him?
(a) Gave it to a poor parishioner.
(d) The horse ran off and the carriage was destroyed.
15. How does Dennis think Lucinda looks when he sees her after she returns to Sydney?
(a) Like a teenager.
(c) Like a fool.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucinda realize has hurt Dennis' reputation and career?
2. When Lucinda is talking with Dennis in Chapter 62, what does she take on and off?
3. What does Oscar tell God that he will never do again when he is lying sick in his room on board the ship?
4. What does Mr. d'Abbs tell Lucinda that Jeffris loves?
5. What does Lucinda do after Oscar wakes up from his faint in her stateroom?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)