|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucinda call Mr. Ahearn when he visits that makes him blush?
(d) Her long lost friend.
2. What does Mrs. d'Abbs press into Oscar's hand when he and Lucinda leave her house after arguing with her husband?
3. What was the sermon about that Lucinda and Oscar feel insulted by when they go to church on a religious holiday?
(a) People without compassion.
(b) Evils of gambling.
(c) The need for charity.
(d) Evils of adultery.
4. How much does Mr. Stratton plan to bet at the racetrack his first time there?
(a) One pound.
(b) Twenty pounds.
(c) His entire life savings.
(d) One hundred quid.
5. What does the head steward announce at dinner is on view on the above deck in Chapter 52?
(a) Dance group.
(c) A statute.
(d) Choral group.
6. How does Oscar describe the glassworks factory to Lucinda after he has chased her to her office?
(c) In bad repair.
7. What job does Arthur Phelps have?
(d) Head glassblower.
8. Who do the Strattons run into on their way to the racetrack at Newton Abbot?
9. What does Lucinda wager in her bet with Oscar about delivering a glass church to Dennis?
(a) Her entire fortune.
(b) Her special cards.
(c) Her glass factory.
(d) Her house.
10. Who makes a formal inquiry into Dennis' sermons?
(a) The Bishop of Sydney.
(c) Queen of England.
(d) The Pope.
11. When Oscar's housekeeper warns him that his sermons are upsetting the congregation, what is he preaching about?
(b) The evils of gambling.
12. What game is Lucinda playing when she sees Oscar in Chapter 64?
(d) Five Card Draw.
13. How does Oscar decide about taking a job offer in Chapter 75?
(a) By praying.
(b) By meditating.
(c) By asking his father's advice.
(d) By flipping a coin.
14. Who does Oscar believe that Lucinda is in love with?
(a) Mr. Jeffris.
(b) Mr. Phelps.
(c) Mr. d'Abbs.
15. What incident occurs in the glassworks factory that causes it to close?
(c) A young boy is injured.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dennis think Lucinda looks when he sees her after she returns to Sydney?
2. What does Lucinda call Oscar that makes the other players scatter?
3. Why does Mr. Jeffris hire a trumpeter?
4. What does Oscar ask Lucinda when he is worried about her reputation?
5. How does Oscar originally plan to transport the church to Dennis?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)