|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Oscar believe that Lucinda is in love with?
(b) Mr. d'Abbs.
(c) Mr. Jeffris.
(d) Mr. Phelps.
2. What does Lucinda hurl at the wall when she becomes frustrated by Oscar?
(c) Wine Glass.
(d) Tea cup.
3. What does Oscar ask Lucinda when he is worried about her reputation?
(a) To marry him.
(b) To marry Dennis.
(c) To take religious vows.
(d) To travel with him.
4. What incident occurs in the glassworks factory that causes it to close?
(a) A young boy is injured.
5. Who makes a formal inquiry into Dennis' sermons?
(a) The Bishop of Sydney.
(c) The Pope.
(d) Queen of England.
6. When Oscar reveals his knowledge of gambling during Lucinda's confession, what does Lucinda say?
(a) "Don't tell anyone."
(b) "Mr. Hopkins, this is most improper."
(c) "Don't say that!"
(d) "Mr. Hopkins, you're making me blush."
7. What does the head steward announce at dinner is on view on the above deck in Chapter 52?
(a) Choral group.
(b) A statute.
(c) Dance group.
8. What do the Narcoo see for the first time in the box that fell when Oscar is on the expedition?
9. Who mostly inhabits the parish near Boat Harbour?
(b) Wealthy landowners.
10. What does Mrs. Smith call the deep wounds on the back of Oscar's hands?
(a) Prayer wounds.
(b) Dog bites.
(c) Accident with a saw.
(d) Infection caused by a disease.
11. What unresolved obligation does Oscar have at the beginning of Chapter 51?
(a) To hear Lucinda's confession.
(b) To send a letter to Stratton.
(c) Pay back a loan to his father.
(d) To set up a gambler's anonymous hotline.
12. How many days is Wardley-Fish imprisoned in Sydney?
13. What was the sermon about that Lucinda and Oscar feel insulted by when they go to church on a religious holiday?
(a) The need for charity.
(b) Evils of adultery.
(c) People without compassion.
(d) Evils of gambling.
14. What is the name of the vicarage that Oscar is vicar of?
(a) St. John's.
15. Before heading up to Lucinda's stateroom, Oscar goes to his room to retrieve his:
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Smith?
2. Why is Mr. Borradaile upset when Lucinda joins his table for dinner?
3. How far does Mr. Phelps walk with his son to see Lucinda and Oscar at her home?
4. How does Dennis think Lucinda looks when he sees her after she returns to Sydney?
5. How did Oscar lose his horse and carriage that his bishop gave him?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)