|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who mostly inhabits the parish near Boat Harbour?
(a) Wealthy landowners.
2. How did Oscar lose his horse and carriage that his bishop gave him?
(a) The horse ran off and the carriage was destroyed.
(b) Gave it to a poor parishioner.
3. Why is Mr. Borradaile upset when Lucinda joins his table for dinner?
(a) He thinks she talks too little.
(b) Women restrict the natural flow of conversation.
(c) He is shy in front of women.
(d) She is too shy for his taste.
4. Who makes a formal inquiry into Dennis' sermons?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The Bishop of Sydney.
(d) Queen of England.
5. Who is Mrs. Smith?
(a) Oscar's cook.
(b) Lucinda's new maid
(c) Dennis' sister.
(d) Lucinda's aunt.
6. Before heading up to Lucinda's stateroom, Oscar goes to his room to retrieve his:
7. When does Mr. Jeffris visit Lucinda and Oscar at their home?
(a) Christmas night.
(b) Lucinda's birthday.
(c) New Year's.
8. How does Dennis think Lucinda looks when he sees her after she returns to Sydney?
(c) Like a teenager.
(d) Like a fool.
9. What does Horace Borrodaile speak about in his monologues on board the ship?
(a) His factory receipts.
(b) The state of his farmland.
(c) The articles he has published.
(d) Politics, hunting, and taxes.
10. What does Mrs. d'Abbs press into Oscar's hand when he and Lucinda leave her house after arguing with her husband?
11. What does Lucinda realize has hurt Dennis' reputation and career?
(a) An affair with one of his parishioners.
(c) A mysterious death in his house.
(d) Her association with him.
12. Who do the Strattons run into on their way to the racetrack at Newton Abbot?
13. What nickname does Mr. Jeffris call Oscar?
(a) The drudge.
(b) Holy man.
(c) Mr. Smudge.
(d) Odd Oscar.
14. What game is Lucinda playing when she sees Oscar in Chapter 64?
(b) Five Card Draw.
15. What happens to Wardley-Fish as he follows Oscar's expedition and comes across a man with a mask?
(a) He is tied to a tree.
(b) He is robbed.
(c) He is thrown in the water.
(d) He is kidnapped.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lucinda and Oscar visit the glassworks factory, what do the men do?
2. Where is Lucinda going at nine o'clock at night on her horse in Chapter 64?
3. What card game do Oscar and Lucinda first play in her stateroom?
4. What dream does Lucinda have but doesn't tell Oscar about in Chapter 77?
5. Where does Oscar take Lucinda to dinner in Chapter 82?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)