|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What offends his co-workers when Oscar starts his new job as a clerk?
(a) He sings loudly.
(b) He reads Bible passages to them.
(c) His bad language.
(d) Serious body odor.
2. What dream does Lucinda have but doesn't tell Oscar about in Chapter 77?
(a) To travel to Russia.
(b) To create a glass building.
(c) To study medicine.
(d) To become a lawyer.
3. What did Oscar do to the cards when the wave crashed over the deck?
(a) Handed them to Lucinda.
(b) Shuffled them without concern.
(c) Threw them out the porthole.
(d) Threw them across the room.
4. Why can't Lucinda hire any maids in Chapter 73?
(a) No one works hard enough for her.
(b) They all know that Oscar is living with Lucinda.
(c) She does not have enough money.
(d) There is a shortage in the city.
5. What is in the envelope that Lucinda gives to Oscar when Oscar leaves on the expedition?
(a) A letter to Dennis.
(b) Love sonnet.
(c) Legal document promising him her fortune.
(d) A drawing of the glass church.
6. What does Lucinda offer to Mr. Jeffris and his men so that they return Oscar safely?
(a) A wagon with a soft bed.
(b) Better horses.
(d) Cash bonus.
7. What do the Narcoo see for the first time in the box that fell when Oscar is on the expedition?
8. What was the sermon about that Lucinda and Oscar feel insulted by when they go to church on a religious holiday?
(a) Evils of adultery.
(b) The need for charity.
(c) Evils of gambling.
(d) People without compassion.
9. What phobia does Oscar explain to Lucinda when he visits her stateroom?
(a) His fear of snakes.
(b) His fear of heights.
(c) His fear of the ocean.
(d) His fear of airplanes.
10. What nickname does Mr. Jeffris call Oscar?
(a) Holy man.
(b) The drudge.
(c) Mr. Smudge.
(d) Odd Oscar.
11. Where does Oscar take Lucinda to dinner in Chapter 82?
(a) Petri Hotel.
(b) The Coat and Arms.
(c) Oriental Hotel.
(d) Belmont. Hotel.
12. What does Lucinda do after Oscar wakes up from his faint in her stateroom?
(a) Calls Mr. Smith to help her.
(b) Keeps him there until he is able to walk by himself.
(c) Help him walk to his room.
(d) Calls two stewards to bring him to his room.
13. What incident occurs in the glassworks factory that causes it to close?
(d) A young boy is injured.
14. How many days after he leaves does it take Lucinda to open Oscar's envelope?
15. When Lucinda and Oscar visit the glassworks factory, what do the men do?
(a) Sing a welcome song.
(b) Grimace and shake their heads.
(d) Set off fireworks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the head steward announce at dinner is on view on the above deck in Chapter 52?
2. What was the funny name of the steward who attended Oscar when he was sick on board the ship?
3. What does the steward do when he comes to deliver Lucinda's tea and sees Lucinda's lure?
4. How did Oscar lose his horse and carriage that his bishop gave him?
5. How does Oscar decide about taking a job offer in Chapter 75?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)