|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mr. Borradaile upset when Lucinda joins his table for dinner?
(a) He thinks she talks too little.
(b) She is too shy for his taste.
(c) Women restrict the natural flow of conversation.
(d) He is shy in front of women.
2. What is the name of the vicarage that Oscar is vicar of?
(d) St. John's.
3. What trap does Lucinda set to lure the stewards when they come to her stateroom in Chapter 56?
(b) Cards and a stack of money.
(c) Rare coins.
(d) Gold jewelry.
4. Who makes a formal inquiry into Dennis' sermons?
(a) Queen of England.
(b) The Bishop of Sydney.
(d) The Pope.
5. How far does Mr. Phelps walk with his son to see Lucinda and Oscar at her home?
(a) Half a mile.
(b) Six miles.
(c) Two miles.
(d) 100 yards.
6. Before heading up to Lucinda's stateroom, Oscar goes to his room to retrieve his:
7. What is Oscar's response when Lucinda says he has still not absolved her after her confession?
(a) "I'm sure you know what to do."
(b) "We'll do it later."
(c) "Where is the sin?"
(d) "I need my Bible."
8. What does Horace Borrodaile speak about in his monologues on board the ship?
(a) Politics, hunting, and taxes.
(b) His factory receipts.
(c) The state of his farmland.
(d) The articles he has published.
9. What does Mr. Smith force-feed Oscar to keep him quiet?
10. What is Bishop Dancer pleased with about Oscar's religious views when he interviews him?
(a) He believes in Darwinism.
(b) His Catholic leanings.
(c) His belief that gambling is not a sin.
(d) He is a fundamentalist.
11. What do the Narcoo see for the first time in the box that fell when Oscar is on the expedition?
12. What is in the envelope that Lucinda gives to Oscar when Oscar leaves on the expedition?
(a) Legal document promising him her fortune.
(b) A drawing of the glass church.
(c) A letter to Dennis.
(d) Love sonnet.
13. Who does Oscar believe that Lucinda is in love with?
(a) Mr. d'Abbs.
(b) Mr. Phelps.
(d) Mr. Jeffris.
14. What does the steward do when he comes to deliver Lucinda's tea and sees Lucinda's lure?
(a) Asks Lucinda if he can borrow it.
(b) Averts his eyes and wishes her a good night.
(c) Sits down at the table.
(d) Walks boldly up to the lure and examines it.
15. What does Mr.Jeffris do to Oscar after Oscar makes a big fuss when there is shooting on the expedition?
(a) Stuffs his mouth with a sock.
(b) Blinds him with mace.
(c) Knocks him out.
(d) Ties him to a tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unresolved obligation does Oscar have at the beginning of Chapter 51?
2. What incident occurs in the glassworks factory that causes it to close?
3. What does Mr. Jeffris wish to be?
4. Where did Lucinda escape to when the ship stopped at a harbor in Chapter 60?
5. What offends his co-workers when Oscar starts his new job as a clerk?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)