|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucinda offer to Mr. Jeffris and his men so that they return Oscar safely?
(a) Better horses.
(c) Cash bonus.
(d) A wagon with a soft bed.
2. What does Oscar ask Lucinda when he is worried about her reputation?
(a) To travel with him.
(b) To take religious vows.
(c) To marry him.
(d) To marry Dennis.
3. What game is Lucinda playing when she sees Oscar in Chapter 64?
(d) Five Card Draw.
4. What does the steward do when he comes to deliver Lucinda's tea and sees Lucinda's lure?
(a) Sits down at the table.
(b) Asks Lucinda if he can borrow it.
(c) Averts his eyes and wishes her a good night.
(d) Walks boldly up to the lure and examines it.
5. What does Mr.Jeffris do to Oscar after Oscar makes a big fuss when there is shooting on the expedition?
(a) Knocks him out.
(b) Stuffs his mouth with a sock.
(c) Ties him to a tree.
(d) Blinds him with mace.
6. Why can't Lucinda hire any maids in Chapter 73?
(a) No one works hard enough for her.
(b) There is a shortage in the city.
(c) They all know that Oscar is living with Lucinda.
(d) She does not have enough money.
7. What does Lucinda confess when Oscar encourages her to make her confession?
(a) That she stole money from her factory workers.
(b) Her hatred of Dennis.
(c) Her addiction to gambling.
(d) Her love for him.
8. What was the sermon about that Lucinda and Oscar feel insulted by when they go to church on a religious holiday?
(a) Evils of gambling.
(b) Evils of adultery.
(c) People without compassion.
(d) The need for charity.
9. How did Oscar lose his horse and carriage that his bishop gave him?
(a) Gave it to a poor parishioner.
(d) The horse ran off and the carriage was destroyed.
10. Before heading up to Lucinda's stateroom, Oscar goes to his room to retrieve his:
11. When Lucinda and Oscar visit the glassworks factory, what do the men do?
(a) Grimace and shake their heads.
(c) Sing a welcome song.
(d) Set off fireworks.
12. What did Oscar do to the cards when the wave crashed over the deck?
(a) Threw them across the room.
(b) Shuffled them without concern.
(c) Handed them to Lucinda.
(d) Threw them out the porthole.
13. Who offers Oscar a job as a clerk?
(a) Mr. d'Abbs.
(b) Mr. Ahearn.
(c) Mr. Phelps.
14. Where did Lucinda escape to when the ship stopped at a harbor in Chapter 60?
(b) Cape Town.
15. What does Mr. Jeffris wish to be?
(a) An explorer.
(b) Sea captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Oscar believe that Lucinda is in love with?
2. When Oscar's housekeeper warns him that his sermons are upsetting the congregation, what is he preaching about?
3. What does Mrs. Smith call the deep wounds on the back of Oscar's hands?
4. How long does Oscar say it will take him to build and deliver the glass church to Dennis?
5. What nickname does Mr. Jeffris call Oscar?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)