|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucinda sneak out of the house to do late at night while Oscar is living with her?
(a) Visit friends.
(b) To look at the stars.
(c) She has a night job.
2. What does Mrs. d'Abbs press into Oscar's hand when he and Lucinda leave her house after arguing with her husband?
3. What does Lucinda do after Oscar wakes up from his faint in her stateroom?
(a) Help him walk to his room.
(b) Keeps him there until he is able to walk by himself.
(c) Calls two stewards to bring him to his room.
(d) Calls Mr. Smith to help her.
4. What did Oscar do to the cards when the wave crashed over the deck?
(a) Threw them across the room.
(b) Threw them out the porthole.
(c) Shuffled them without concern.
(d) Handed them to Lucinda.
5. What does Oscar tell God that he will never do again when he is lying sick in his room on board the ship?
(b) Tell a lie.
(c) Smoke a cigarette.
6. Who mostly inhabits the parish near Boat Harbour?
(c) Wealthy landowners.
7. What phobia does Oscar explain to Lucinda when he visits her stateroom?
(a) His fear of airplanes.
(b) His fear of heights.
(c) His fear of snakes.
(d) His fear of the ocean.
8. What does Lucinda call Oscar that makes the other players scatter?
(b) Your Highness.
9. What was the sermon about that Lucinda and Oscar feel insulted by when they go to church on a religious holiday?
(a) Evils of adultery.
(b) Evils of gambling.
(c) The need for charity.
(d) People without compassion.
10. After Easter, what does Lucinda advertise for?
(b) A female glassblower and partner.
(c) Construction worker.
(d) House painter.
11. When Oscar's housekeeper warns him that his sermons are upsetting the congregation, what is he preaching about?
(b) The evils of gambling.
12. When Lucinda is talking with Dennis in Chapter 62, what does she take on and off?
(b) Her gloves.
13. What does Lucinda say she envies about Oscar when they are dining out and discussing Oscar's idea of a glass church?
(a) His close relationship with his father.
(b) He knows his own value.
(c) The way he dresses.
(d) His red hair.
14. What does Lucinda confess when Oscar encourages her to make her confession?
(a) Her hatred of Dennis.
(b) Her addiction to gambling.
(c) Her love for him.
(d) That she stole money from her factory workers.
15. What does Lucinda think of Mr. Borradaile?
(a) He is too silent.
(b) He is a barbarian.
(c) He is attractive to her.
(d) He is admirable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucinda realize has hurt Dennis' reputation and career?
2. What does Lucinda call Mr. Ahearn when he visits that makes him blush?
3. Who is Mrs. Smith?
4. What does Lucinda wager in her bet with Oscar about delivering a glass church to Dennis?
5. What game is Lucinda playing when she sees Oscar in Chapter 64?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)