|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Smith force-feed Oscar to keep him quiet?
2. What happens to Wardley-Fish as he follows Oscar's expedition and comes across a man with a mask?
(a) He is tied to a tree.
(b) He is kidnapped.
(c) He is thrown in the water.
(d) He is robbed.
3. What does Lucinda offer to Mr. Jeffris and his men so that they return Oscar safely?
(a) Better horses.
(b) A wagon with a soft bed.
(c) Cash bonus.
4. What did Oscar do to the cards when the wave crashed over the deck?
(a) Threw them out the porthole.
(b) Shuffled them without concern.
(c) Handed them to Lucinda.
(d) Threw them across the room.
5. When Oscar's housekeeper warns him that his sermons are upsetting the congregation, what is he preaching about?
(c) The evils of gambling.
6. Who do the Strattons run into on their way to the racetrack at Newton Abbot?
7. What does Lucinda confess when Oscar encourages her to make her confession?
(a) Her addiction to gambling.
(b) That she stole money from her factory workers.
(c) Her love for him.
(d) Her hatred of Dennis.
8. What does Mrs. Smith call the deep wounds on the back of Oscar's hands?
(a) Infection caused by a disease.
(b) Accident with a saw.
(c) Prayer wounds.
(d) Dog bites.
9. What is the name of the vicarage that Oscar is vicar of?
(d) St. John's.
10. What does Lucinda wager in her bet with Oscar about delivering a glass church to Dennis?
(a) Her entire fortune.
(b) Her glass factory.
(c) Her special cards.
(d) Her house.
11. In Chapter 80, what does Lucinda realize she feels for Oscar?
12. How many days is Wardley-Fish imprisoned in Sydney?
13. What trap does Lucinda set to lure the stewards when they come to her stateroom in Chapter 56?
(a) Gold jewelry.
(b) Cards and a stack of money.
(c) Rare coins.
14. How long does Oscar say it will take him to build and deliver the glass church to Dennis?
(a) Within five weeks.
(b) One year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two months.
15. How does Oscar decide about taking a job offer in Chapter 75?
(a) By meditating.
(b) By praying.
(c) By flipping a coin.
(d) By asking his father's advice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days after he leaves does it take Lucinda to open Oscar's envelope?
2. What does Oscar ask Lucinda when he is worried about her reputation?
3. What phobia does Oscar explain to Lucinda when he visits her stateroom?
4. What does Lucinda sneak out of the house to do late at night while Oscar is living with her?
5. Before heading up to Lucinda's stateroom, Oscar goes to his room to retrieve his:
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)