|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oscar tell God that he will never do again when he is lying sick in his room on board the ship?
(b) Tell a lie.
(c) Smoke a cigarette.
2. What was the sermon about that Lucinda and Oscar feel insulted by when they go to church on a religious holiday?
(a) People without compassion.
(b) The need for charity.
(c) Evils of gambling.
(d) Evils of adultery.
3. How did Oscar lose his horse and carriage that his bishop gave him?
(a) Gave it to a poor parishioner.
(d) The horse ran off and the carriage was destroyed.
4. After Easter, what does Lucinda advertise for?
(a) House painter.
(b) A female glassblower and partner.
(d) Construction worker.
5. Why does Mr. Jeffris hire a trumpeter?
(a) To wake him in the morning.
(b) He is starting a jazz band.
(c) To lead his expedition to glory.
(d) It is his favorite instrument.
6. When Oscar reveals his knowledge of gambling during Lucinda's confession, what does Lucinda say?
(a) "Don't say that!"
(b) "Mr. Hopkins, you're making me blush."
(c) "Don't tell anyone."
(d) "Mr. Hopkins, this is most improper."
7. What does the head steward announce at dinner is on view on the above deck in Chapter 52?
(b) A statute.
(c) Dance group.
(d) Choral group.
8. What is the name of the vicarage that Oscar is vicar of?
(a) St. John's.
9. Who mostly inhabits the parish near Boat Harbour?
(d) Wealthy landowners.
10. How does Oscar describe the glassworks factory to Lucinda after he has chased her to her office?
(c) In bad repair.
11. When Lucinda is talking with Dennis in Chapter 62, what does she take on and off?
(a) Her gloves.
12. What trap does Lucinda set to lure the stewards when they come to her stateroom in Chapter 56?
(a) Cards and a stack of money.
(b) Gold jewelry.
(c) Rare coins.
13. How does Dennis think Lucinda looks when he sees her after she returns to Sydney?
(a) Like a fool.
(b) Like a teenager.
14. What phobia does Oscar explain to Lucinda when he visits her stateroom?
(a) His fear of the ocean.
(b) His fear of heights.
(c) His fear of snakes.
(d) His fear of airplanes.
15. What does Mrs. Smith call the deep wounds on the back of Oscar's hands?
(a) Infection caused by a disease.
(b) Prayer wounds.
(c) Accident with a saw.
(d) Dog bites.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 80, what does Lucinda realize she feels for Oscar?
2. How many days after he leaves does it take Lucinda to open Oscar's envelope?
3. How does Oscar originally plan to transport the church to Dennis?
4. What does Oscar ask Lucinda when he is worried about her reputation?
5. What does Lucinda realize has hurt Dennis' reputation and career?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)