|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucinda hurl at the wall when she becomes frustrated by Oscar?
(a) Wine Glass.
(d) Tea cup.
2. Who is Mrs. Judd?
(b) Oscar's housekeeper.
(d) Oscar's laundress.
3. What was the sermon about that Lucinda and Oscar feel insulted by when they go to church on a religious holiday?
(a) The need for charity.
(b) Evils of gambling.
(c) Evils of adultery.
(d) People without compassion.
4. How does Dennis think Lucinda looks when he sees her after she returns to Sydney?
(c) Like a teenager.
(d) Like a fool.
5. When Oscar reveals his knowledge of gambling during Lucinda's confession, what does Lucinda say?
(a) "Don't say that!"
(b) "Don't tell anyone."
(c) "Mr. Hopkins, this is most improper."
(d) "Mr. Hopkins, you're making me blush."
6. What does Horace Borrodaile speak about in his monologues on board the ship?
(a) The articles he has published.
(b) His factory receipts.
(c) Politics, hunting, and taxes.
(d) The state of his farmland.
7. Where did Lucinda escape to when the ship stopped at a harbor in Chapter 60?
(c) Cape Town.
8. What job does Arthur Phelps have?
(c) Head glassblower.
9. What does Mr. Smith force-feed Oscar to keep him quiet?
10. What is the name of the vicarage that Oscar is vicar of?
(d) St. John's.
11. Who makes a formal inquiry into Dennis' sermons?
(a) Queen of England.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The Bishop of Sydney.
12. What trap does Lucinda set to lure the stewards when they come to her stateroom in Chapter 56?
(b) Cards and a stack of money.
(c) Gold jewelry.
(d) Rare coins.
13. What dream does Lucinda have but doesn't tell Oscar about in Chapter 77?
(a) To travel to Russia.
(b) To become a lawyer.
(c) To create a glass building.
(d) To study medicine.
14. What is Oscar's response when Lucinda says he has still not absolved her after her confession?
(a) "I'm sure you know what to do."
(b) "I need my Bible."
(c) "Where is the sin?"
(d) "We'll do it later."
15. Who offers Oscar a job as a clerk?
(a) Mr. d'Abbs.
(b) Mr. Ahearn.
(d) Mr. Phelps.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucinda do after Oscar wakes up from his faint in her stateroom?
2. What does Oscar ask Lucinda when he is worried about her reputation?
3. What does Mr. Jeffris wish to be?
4. Where is Lucinda going at nine o'clock at night on her horse in Chapter 64?
5. What does Lucinda confess when Oscar encourages her to make her confession?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)