|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days after he leaves does it take Lucinda to open Oscar's envelope?
2. What does Mr. Jeffris appoint Mr. Smith to be on the expedition?
(a) Horse handler.
(c) Oscar's keeper.
(d) Note taker.
3. What does Lucinda think of Mr. Borradaile?
(a) He is attractive to her.
(b) He is admirable.
(c) He is too silent.
(d) He is a barbarian.
4. What does Horace Borrodaile speak about in his monologues on board the ship?
(a) His factory receipts.
(b) Politics, hunting, and taxes.
(c) The articles he has published.
(d) The state of his farmland.
5. Who is Mrs. Judd?
(b) Oscar's housekeeper.
(c) Oscar's laundress.
6. Who offers Oscar a job as a clerk?
(a) Mr. Phelps.
(b) Mr. Ahearn.
(c) Mr. d'Abbs.
7. What is Bishop Dancer pleased with about Oscar's religious views when he interviews him?
(a) His belief that gambling is not a sin.
(b) He is a fundamentalist.
(c) His Catholic leanings.
(d) He believes in Darwinism.
8. What dream does Lucinda have but doesn't tell Oscar about in Chapter 77?
(a) To travel to Russia.
(b) To study medicine.
(c) To create a glass building.
(d) To become a lawyer.
9. How far does Mr. Phelps walk with his son to see Lucinda and Oscar at her home?
(a) 100 yards.
(b) Six miles.
(c) Two miles.
(d) Half a mile.
10. Where does Oscar take Lucinda to dinner in Chapter 82?
(a) Belmont. Hotel.
(b) Oriental Hotel.
(c) Petri Hotel.
(d) The Coat and Arms.
11. What does Mr. Judd want to be able to do during services?
(a) Hand out programs.
(b) Sing Handel's Messiah.
(c) Light the candles.
(d) Collect the offerings.
12. What is in the envelope that Lucinda gives to Oscar when Oscar leaves on the expedition?
(a) Legal document promising him her fortune.
(b) A letter to Dennis.
(c) Love sonnet.
(d) A drawing of the glass church.
13. Where did Lucinda escape to when the ship stopped at a harbor in Chapter 60?
(a) Cape Town.
14. What nickname does Mr. Jeffris call Oscar?
(a) Odd Oscar.
(b) Mr. Smudge.
(c) Holy man.
(d) The drudge.
15. What does Lucinda wager in her bet with Oscar about delivering a glass church to Dennis?
(a) Her special cards.
(b) Her entire fortune.
(c) Her house.
(d) Her glass factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the funny name of the steward who attended Oscar when he was sick on board the ship?
2. What unresolved obligation does Oscar have at the beginning of Chapter 51?
3. What card game do Oscar and Lucinda first play in her stateroom?
4. What did Oscar do to the cards when the wave crashed over the deck?
5. What does Lucinda realize has hurt Dennis' reputation and career?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)