|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Baptist boys make Oscar eat?
(a) Chocolate pudding.
2. Who is Tom Wilson?
(a) Harvey Figg's assistant.
(b) Dennis' friend.
(c) Lucinda's cousin.
(d) Lucinda's boyfriend.
3. What is the name of the phenomenon having to do with glass that Lucinda witnessed as a young girl with her father?
(b) Circumzenithal arc.
(c) Natural Resurgence.
(d) Prince Rupert's drops.
4. How does Melody feel about her companions on board the ship?
5. What does Lucinda steal from the boat and place on the hotel counter in Sydney?
6. Why can't Mrs. Stratton have an official position in the Anglican church?
(a) Her husband has been made a bishop.
(b) She would have to give up her well-paying job.
(c) She's a woman and is not allowed to.
(d) Her husband is too powerful.
7. What does Mrs. Stratton ask Oscar his opinion about the first night he dines with them?
(a) The new china pattern she has selected.
(b) The propriety of having more than one altar.
(c) Greek versus Latin languages.
(d) The dining room curtains.
8. What is the name of the church that the narrator and his family go to each Sunday?
(a) Three River Church.
(b) Assumption Church.
(c) St. John's.
(d) St. Mary's.
9. When Lucinda leaves Paramatta, who takes her to Sydney?
(a) Mr. d'Abbs.
(b) Sol Myer.
(c) Mr. Ahearn.
(d) Mrs. Cousins.
10. What extravagant gift does Oscar send the Strattons when he is at Oriel?
11. What does superstition say about a caul?
(a) It protects against drowning.
(b) It is a bad luck charm.
(c) Adults should not use it for fear of disease.
(d) It brings good luck to babies.
12. What did Theophilus believe Christmas was?
(a) A pagan holiday.
(b) A Christian holiday.
(c) A time for family celebration.
(d) The best holiday.
13. What does Theophilus ask Mrs. Williams to do after Oscar runs away?
(a) Pack away Oscar's belongings.
(b) Take over Oscar's chores.
(c) Kneel and pray.
(d) Travel to the city for supplies.
14. What were the names of Lucinda's parents?
(a) Patty and John.
(b) Julia and Daniel.
(c) Elizabeth and Abel.
(d) Nancy and Dick.
15. What does Lucinda send to Dennis Hasset?
(c) Invitation to tea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who earns a sixpence a week?
2. What does Theophilus Hopkins study in the natural world?
3. Who did the narrator's mother love to invite over for tea?
4. Why did the narrator's mother take the wire from the fuse in Chapter 2?
5. What does Mrs. Williams chase Oscar with when he sees her at the post office?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)