|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Sunday is it when Oscar leaves his father's home?
(a) Third Sunday in October.
(b) Second Sunday after Easter.
(c) Christmas Day.
(d) First Sunday in November.
2. What excuse does Lucinda give Dennis when she tells him she must leave before their celebratory dinner in Chapter 40?
(a) She has an appointment.
(b) She has to mail a letter.
(c) She is sleepy.
(d) She doesn't eat beef.
3. What was the Christian sect that Theophilus was a member of?
(b) Plymouth Brethren.
4. What does Dennis tell Lucinda is lacking in his life?
(a) Deep passion.
(c) A change in his routine.
5. What occupation does Oscar have after graduating from Oriel?
(c) School teacher.
(d) Bookstore clerk.
6. What do the Baptist boys make Oscar eat?
(a) Chocolate pudding.
7. Where was Lucinda Leplastrier born?
(a) New South Wales.
8. What does Oscar do when his father gives him the scientific name for his new grey "tor" stone in Chapter 10?
(b) Bursts into tears.
(c) Asks more questions.
(d) Says thank you.
9. What does Oscar plan to do once he has earned enough money from gambling in Chapter 41?
(a) Travel to New South Wales as a missionary.
(b) Spend his money on a house.
(c) Travel to New Guinea.
(d) Give all his money to his father.
10. After his wife's death, where did Theophilus throw his wife's clothes?
(a) The fireplace.
(b) In a ditch.
(c) The dumpster.
(d) The sea.
11. What is the name of the church that the narrator and his family go to each Sunday?
(a) Assumption Church.
(b) St. Mary's.
(c) St. John's.
(d) Three River Church.
12. How did Lucinda's father die?
(a) He was thrown from a horse.
(b) In his sleep.
(d) Heart attack.
13. What is the name of the luxurious ocean liner that Oscar sails on?
(a) The Sir Anthony.
(b) London Twister.
(c) Sydney Sailor.
14. What does Lucinda think of George Eliot?
(a) She is a snob.
(b) She loves her.
(c) She enjoys talking with her about glass.
(d) She enjoys her company.
15. When Reverend Stratton suggests that Theophilus should help with Oscar's education expenses, what does Theophilus say?
(a) He is happy to help.
(b) Going to Oriel will place him in everlasting hell.
(c) He makes Oscar get a loan.
(d) He will give him one year's tuition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ian Wardley-Fish like Oscar?
2. Why do the townspeople make fun of Lucinda's mother?
3. Who is terrified of the sea?
4. What color eyes does Lucinda have?
5. What does Lucinda steal from the boat and place on the hotel counter in Sydney?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)