|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oscar believe about his passion for gambling?
(a) He believes everyone should have a passion.
(b) It is sinful.
(c) He would be lost without it.
(d) It is good for him.
2. What was the Christian sect that Theophilus was a member of?
(a) Plymouth Brethren.
3. Why is Dennis not in love with Lucinda?
(a) He thinks she is not suitable.
(b) He doesn't like her parents.
(c) She is too pretty.
(d) She has too little money.
4. Why does Lucinda say she is jealous of Dennis?
(a) He has nice hair.
(b) He had the opportunity to attend college.
(c) Because he is a man and can enter the glassworks.
(d) He can play the piano.
5. Who did the narrator's mother love to invite over for tea?
(a) Other mothers.
(b) The bishop.
(c) Her relatives.
(d) Her son's friends.
6. What did Lucinda's parents buy her for a birthday gift?
7. What does Lucinda send to Dennis Hasset?
(c) Invitation to tea.
8. What is Oscar's nickname when he is at the Oriel Seminary?
(b) Odd Bod.
(d) Carrot top.
9. What food do the Strattons serve Oscar the first night he has dinner with them?
(b) Chicken salad.
(c) Shepherd's pie with raisins.
(d) Steak and potatoes.
10. What does Lucy make at the large table in the kitchen while Theophilus is sitting there?
11. What were the names of Lucinda's parents?
(a) Julia and Daniel.
(b) Elizabeth and Abel.
(c) Patty and John.
(d) Nancy and Dick.
12. What excuse does Lucinda give Dennis when she tells him she must leave before their celebratory dinner in Chapter 40?
(a) She has to mail a letter.
(b) She doesn't eat beef.
(c) She is sleepy.
(d) She has an appointment.
13. What does Theophilus tell Oscar that the yellow "tor" stone is made of?
(a) Cow urine.
14. What does Lucinda mainly remember about her mother?
(a) Her conservative clothing.
(b) Her sweetness.
(c) Her bitterness and anger.
(d) Her fine cooking.
15. Who is terrified of the sea?
(d) Mrs. Williams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Dennis' church?
2. What was Lucinda's mother's dream?
3. Where is Theophilus injured when he is in the water on Christmas Day in Chapter 5?
4. Where does Lucinda go after her mother dies?
5. How old is Oscar when he leaves his father's home?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)