|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the luxurious ocean liner that Oscar sails on?
(a) London Twister.
(c) The Sir Anthony.
(d) Sydney Sailor.
2. How far away is the church the narrator's family attends?
(a) Four miles.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) One mile.
(d) Two miles.
3. What noise is described as being as "definite as a walnut cracking?"
(a) The man's head cracking.
(c) Angry clapping.
(d) Car backfiring.
4. Who is terrified of the sea?
(c) Mrs. Williams.
5. What is the name of the hotel where Lucinda stays in Sydney?
(a) Petty's Hotel.
(b) Gertrude's Hotel.
(c) The Whimsical B&B.
(d) The Coat and Arms.
6. What does Lucinda ask of Oscar the first time she talks with him?
(a) To place a bet on the horses.
(b) To play cards.
(c) To hear her confession.
(d) If he has any money to lend.
7. What did Theophilus believe Christmas was?
(a) A pagan holiday.
(b) A Christian holiday.
(c) The best holiday.
(d) A time for family celebration.
8. What does the narrator say was responsible for the story of the church?
(a) A Christmas pudding.
(b) A lost puppy.
(c) An abandoned building.
9. What does Mrs. Stratton ask Oscar his opinion about the first night he dines with them?
(a) The new china pattern she has selected.
(b) The dining room curtains.
(c) Greek versus Latin languages.
(d) The propriety of having more than one altar.
10. What does Dennis tell Lucinda is lacking in his life?
(b) A change in his routine.
(c) Deep passion.
11. What does Lucinda's mother die from?
(a) Heart disease.
(b) Old age.
(c) A broken heart.
(d) Spanish Flu.
12. Who is Tom Wilson?
(a) Dennis' friend.
(b) Lucinda's boyfriend.
(c) Lucinda's cousin.
(d) Harvey Figg's assistant.
13. What does Lucinda mainly remember about her mother?
(a) Her sweetness.
(b) Her conservative clothing.
(c) Her fine cooking.
(d) Her bitterness and anger.
14. What color eyes does Lucinda have?
15. What was Lucinda's mother's dream?
(a) To teach fifth grade.
(b) To own a factory.
(c) To publish a book.
(d) To get a medical degree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oscar do when his father gives him the scientific name for his new grey "tor" stone in Chapter 10?
2. What does Elizabeth Mullins say when she attempts to lay the palm leaf underneath the horse's feet?
3. What does Lucinda enjoy playing at Mr. d'Abbs house?
4. What does Oscar ask Wardley-Fish to do to help him understand God's plan for his future in Chapter 42?
5. Why does Lucinda say she is jealous of Dennis?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)