|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Christian sect that Theophilus was a member of?
(c) Plymouth Brethren.
2. What does Lucinda's mother plan to do with the farm so she can retire from farming?
(a) Let the land grow fallow.
(b) Turn it into a coffee planation.
(c) Sell it to a cattle baron.
(d) Divide it into five parcels and sell it.
3. When Oscar meets his father along the road carrying buckets, what does Theophilus look like?
(a) Shrunken with dark circles around his eyes.
(b) Healthy and vigorous.
(c) Dressed up in his best suit.
4. What is the name of the church that the narrator and his family go to each Sunday?
(a) Assumption Church.
(b) St. Mary's.
(c) Three River Church.
(d) St. John's.
5. What extravagant gift does Oscar send the Strattons when he is at Oriel?
6. What does Ian Wardley-Fish teach Oscar to do?
7. What does Lucinda think of George Eliot?
(a) She loves her.
(b) She is a snob.
(c) She enjoys talking with her about glass.
(d) She enjoys her company.
8. What did Theophilus believe Christmas was?
(a) A pagan holiday.
(b) The best holiday.
(c) A time for family celebration.
(d) A Christian holiday.
9. What does Theophilus ask Mrs. Williams to do after Oscar runs away?
(a) Travel to the city for supplies.
(b) Kneel and pray.
(c) Take over Oscar's chores.
(d) Pack away Oscar's belongings.
10. Where does Lucinda go after her mother dies?
(a) To Mrs. Cousins' boarding house.
(b) Bloomer Hotel.
(c) Mr. Ahearn's house.
(d) A Baptist girls shelter.
11. What excuse does Lucinda give Dennis when she tells him she must leave before their celebratory dinner in Chapter 40?
(a) She is sleepy.
(b) She has to mail a letter.
(c) She has an appointment.
(d) She doesn't eat beef.
12. Who is terrified of the sea?
(b) Mrs. Williams.
13. What does Oscar do when his father gives him the scientific name for his new grey "tor" stone in Chapter 10?
(a) Asks more questions.
(c) Bursts into tears.
(d) Says thank you.
14. What is the name of the phenomenon having to do with glass that Lucinda witnessed as a young girl with her father?
(a) Natural Resurgence.
(b) Circumzenithal arc.
(c) Prince Rupert's drops.
15. What does the narrator say was responsible for the story of the church?
(a) An abandoned building.
(b) A lost puppy.
(c) A Christmas pudding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel where Lucinda stays in Sydney?
2. What does Theophilus find inscribed along the stone path in Hennecombe?
3. What does Lucinda mainly remember about her mother?
4. What does Lucy make at the large table in the kitchen while Theophilus is sitting there?
5. What does Oscar ask Wardley-Fish to do to help him understand God's plan for his future in Chapter 42?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)