|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Theophilus find inscribed along the stone path in Hennecombe?
(a) Italian expressions.
(b) Curse words.
(c) French poems.
(d) Pagan symbols.
2. What is Oscar's nickname when he is at the Oriel Seminary?
(b) Odd Bod.
(d) Carrot top.
3. What does Lucinda mainly remember about her mother?
(a) Her sweetness.
(b) Her fine cooking.
(c) Her conservative clothing.
(d) Her bitterness and anger.
4. What does Theophilus tell Oscar that the yellow "tor" stone is made of?
(b) Cow urine.
5. What is the name of the luxurious ocean liner that Oscar sails on?
(a) Sydney Sailor.
(c) The Sir Anthony.
(d) London Twister.
6. What local gossip does Theophilus repeat about the inscriptions along the path?
(a) The villagers wrote the messages.
(b) His rival created them.
(c) The villagers believe they are magical.
(d) The blank square is used for sacrificing goats.
7. Who earns a sixpence a week?
(a) Mr. Stratton.
(b) Mrs. Millar, the Stratton's cook.
(d) Mrs. Williams.
8. What did Theophilus believe Christmas was?
(a) A time for family celebration.
(b) A Christian holiday.
(c) A pagan holiday.
(d) The best holiday.
9. What does Lucinda steal from the boat and place on the hotel counter in Sydney?
10. What does Elizabeth Mullins say when she attempts to lay the palm leaf underneath the horse's feet?
(a) Slow down!
(b) Be careful!
(c) Hosanna, Hosanna in the highest.
11. What extravagant gift does Oscar send the Strattons when he is at Oriel?
12. What does Theophilus check every morning as Oscar stands on a footstool?
(a) Oscar's scalp.
(b) Oscar's lungs.
(c) Oscar's teeth.
(d) Oscar's heart.
13. What excuse does Lucinda give Dennis when she tells him she must leave before their celebratory dinner in Chapter 40?
(a) She has an appointment.
(b) She has to mail a letter.
(c) She is sleepy.
(d) She doesn't eat beef.
14. Where is Theophilus injured when he is in the water on Christmas Day in Chapter 5?
15. What does superstition say about a caul?
(a) It protects against drowning.
(b) It brings good luck to babies.
(c) Adults should not use it for fear of disease.
(d) It is a bad luck charm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What noise is described as being as "definite as a walnut cracking?"
2. Why is Dennis not in love with Lucinda?
3. Where does Lucinda go after her mother dies?
4. Who did the narrator's mother love to invite over for tea?
5. After Lucinda's father dies, where does her mother want to return to?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)