|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucinda steal from the boat and place on the hotel counter in Sydney?
2. How did Lucinda's father die?
(a) He was thrown from a horse.
(c) In his sleep.
(d) Heart attack.
3. Why can't Mrs. Stratton have an official position in the Anglican church?
(a) Her husband is too powerful.
(b) Her husband has been made a bishop.
(c) She's a woman and is not allowed to.
(d) She would have to give up her well-paying job.
4. Who did the narrator's mother love to invite over for tea?
(a) The bishop.
(b) Other mothers.
(c) Her relatives.
(d) Her son's friends.
5. How far away is the church the narrator's family attends?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) One mile.
(c) Four miles.
(d) Two miles.
6. Why is Dennis not in love with Lucinda?
(a) He thinks she is not suitable.
(b) He doesn't like her parents.
(c) She is too pretty.
(d) She has too little money.
7. What did Theophilus believe Christmas was?
(a) A Christian holiday.
(b) The best holiday.
(c) A pagan holiday.
(d) A time for family celebration.
8. What occupation does Oscar have after graduating from Oriel?
(a) Bookstore clerk.
(d) School teacher.
9. What was Lucinda's mother's dream?
(a) To own a factory.
(b) To get a medical degree.
(c) To teach fifth grade.
(d) To publish a book.
10. What does Mrs. Stratton ask Oscar his opinion about the first night he dines with them?
(a) Greek versus Latin languages.
(b) The propriety of having more than one altar.
(c) The new china pattern she has selected.
(d) The dining room curtains.
11. What does Oscar find in the envelope that Reverend Stratton sent him?
(a) Letter from his father.
(b) Betting slip.
(c) Bookmark from his youth.
12. What is Oscar's nickname when he is at the Oriel Seminary?
(b) Carrot top.
(d) Odd Bod.
13. What does Lucy make at the large table in the kitchen while Theophilus is sitting there?
14. What is Lucinda's state of mind when she first arrives on the ship?
15. Who is Melody Clutterbuck?
(a) Wardlely-Fish's fiancee.
(b) Stratton's sister.
(c) Mentor to Oscar.
(d) Theophilus' niece.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel where Lucinda stays in Sydney?
2. Why does Lucinda like to spend time in Dennis' study?
3. What does the membership of the Plymouth Brethren do outside the Stratton's house?
4. Where did Lucinda's parents keep their money?
5. Where does Lucinda go after her mother dies?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)