|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lucinda's parents buy her for a birthday gift?
2. What is the name of Theophilus' book?
(a) Hennacombe Rambles.
(b) Nature in the Raw.
(c) Sea Stories.
(d) Sea Creatures at Large.
3. What does Theophilus tell Oscar that the yellow "tor" stone is made of?
(b) Cow urine.
4. What does Lucy make at the large table in the kitchen while Theophilus is sitting there?
5. What does the membership of the Plymouth Brethren do outside the Stratton's house?
(a) Help out in the garden.
(c) Throw stones.
6. Where is Oscar sitting when Lucinda talks with him on board the ship?
(a) In the bathtub.
(b) Red-velvet settee.
(c) On the sun deck.
(d) Lounge chair.
7. What does Oscar pray for each night for the Strattons?
8. What excuse does Lucinda give Dennis when she tells him she must leave before their celebratory dinner in Chapter 40?
(a) She has to mail a letter.
(b) She has an appointment.
(c) She is sleepy.
(d) She doesn't eat beef.
9. What is the custom for the Sunday School children to do for Palm Sunday?
(a) Hand out bulletins.
(b) Serve refreshments.
(c) Decorate the church.
10. What does Mrs. Williams chase Oscar with when he sees her at the post office?
(c) Frying pan.
11. Why does Ian Wardley-Fish like Oscar?
(a) He thinks he dresses well.
(b) He is not boring or ordinary.
(c) He is popular.
(d) He is good looking.
12. What is Oscar's nickname when he is at the Oriel Seminary?
(a) Carrot top.
(d) Odd Bod.
13. What does Lucinda ask of Oscar the first time she talks with him?
(a) To play cards.
(b) To hear her confession.
(c) If he has any money to lend.
(d) To place a bet on the horses.
14. What did Theophilus believe Christmas was?
(a) The best holiday.
(b) A time for family celebration.
(c) A pagan holiday.
(d) A Christian holiday.
15. What does Theophilus Hopkins study in the natural world?
(a) The sea.
(b) Plants in Australia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lucinda like to spend time in Dennis' study?
2. What was the Christian sect that Theophilus was a member of?
3. What is the name of the phenomenon having to do with glass that Lucinda witnessed as a young girl with her father?
4. Why did the narrator's mother take the wire from the fuse in Chapter 2?
5. Who is Melody Clutterbuck?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)