|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the townspeople make fun of Lucinda's mother?
(a) She wears bloomers.
(b) She passes out suffrage flyers.
(c) She has a funny hat.
(d) She rides a unicycle.
2. What occupation does Oscar have after graduating from Oriel?
(c) Bookstore clerk.
(d) School teacher.
3. What does Lucinda think of George Eliot?
(a) She is a snob.
(b) She loves her.
(c) She enjoys talking with her about glass.
(d) She enjoys her company.
4. What does Lucinda steal from the boat and place on the hotel counter in Sydney?
5. What local gossip does Theophilus repeat about the inscriptions along the path?
(a) The blank square is used for sacrificing goats.
(b) The villagers wrote the messages.
(c) The villagers believe they are magical.
(d) His rival created them.
6. What is Oscar's nickname when he is at the Oriel Seminary?
(a) Carrot top.
(d) Odd Bod.
7. After his wife's death, where did Theophilus throw his wife's clothes?
(a) The sea.
(b) The fireplace.
(c) In a ditch.
(d) The dumpster.
8. What do the Baptist boys make Oscar eat?
(a) Chocolate pudding.
9. What does Dennis tell Lucinda is lacking in his life?
(b) Deep passion.
(d) A change in his routine.
10. What food do the Strattons serve Oscar the first night he has dinner with them?
(a) Steak and potatoes.
(b) Shepherd's pie with raisins.
(d) Chicken salad.
11. What does Oscar pray for each night for the Strattons?
12. What does Mr. Stratton call Oscar at the end of Chapter 30?
(a) A good boy.
(b) A fool.
(c) A devious person.
13. How far away is the church the narrator's family attends?
(a) Two miles.
(b) One mile.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) Four miles.
14. What does Lucinda's mother plan to do with the farm so she can retire from farming?
(a) Turn it into a coffee planation.
(b) Let the land grow fallow.
(c) Divide it into five parcels and sell it.
(d) Sell it to a cattle baron.
15. Where is Theophilus injured when he is in the water on Christmas Day in Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is terrified of the sea?
2. What does Lucinda's mother die from?
3. What does superstition say about a caul?
4. What religion does Oscar believe he must follow in Chapter 9?
5. Why can't Mrs. Stratton have an official position in the Anglican church?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)