|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tom Wilson?
(a) Dennis' friend.
(b) Lucinda's cousin.
(c) Lucinda's boyfriend.
(d) Harvey Figg's assistant.
2. What were the names of Lucinda's parents?
(a) Elizabeth and Abel.
(b) Julia and Daniel.
(c) Patty and John.
(d) Nancy and Dick.
3. What does Oscar find in the envelope that Reverend Stratton sent him?
(a) Letter from his father.
(b) Betting slip.
(d) Bookmark from his youth.
4. What does the willow pattern on the Stratton's china look like to Oscar?
(b) Letters from the alphabet.
(c) A beautiful drawing.
(d) Pagan symbols.
5. When Reverend Stratton suggests that Theophilus should help with Oscar's education expenses, what does Theophilus say?
(a) He will give him one year's tuition.
(b) Going to Oriel will place him in everlasting hell.
(c) He makes Oscar get a loan.
(d) He is happy to help.
6. What does Theophilus ask Mrs. Williams to do after Oscar runs away?
(a) Pack away Oscar's belongings.
(b) Take over Oscar's chores.
(c) Travel to the city for supplies.
(d) Kneel and pray.
7. How does Oscar disappoint Wardley-Fish when they go to Cremorne Gardens?
(a) He does not wear a coat and tie.
(b) He arrives four hours late.
(c) He says he doesn't like the place and leaves.
(d) He won't drink champagne.
8. What is trapped in the mudflats below Mr. d'Abbs house?
(a) A car.
(b) Two ducks.
(c) A cow.
(d) Lucinda's shoe.
9. What does Dennis tell Lucinda is lacking in his life?
(a) A change in his routine.
(c) Deep passion.
10. What does Lucinda send to Dennis Hasset?
(b) Invitation to tea.
11. Why do the townspeople make fun of Lucinda's mother?
(a) She passes out suffrage flyers.
(b) She rides a unicycle.
(c) She wears bloomers.
(d) She has a funny hat.
12. What does superstition say about a caul?
(a) Adults should not use it for fear of disease.
(b) It is a bad luck charm.
(c) It brings good luck to babies.
(d) It protects against drowning.
13. What is Lucinda's state of mind when she first arrives on the ship?
14. What does Oscar plan to do once he has earned enough money from gambling in Chapter 41?
(a) Travel to New South Wales as a missionary.
(b) Travel to New Guinea.
(c) Spend his money on a house.
(d) Give all his money to his father.
15. What does Oscar pray for each night for the Strattons?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oscar believe about his passion for gambling?
2. Who did the narrator's mother love to invite over for tea?
3. What does Theophilus tell Oscar that the yellow "tor" stone is made of?
4. Why does Ian Wardley-Fish like Oscar?
5. What did Lucinda's parents buy her for a birthday gift?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)