|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oscar plan to do once he has earned enough money from gambling in Chapter 41?
(a) Travel to New Guinea.
(b) Spend his money on a house.
(c) Travel to New South Wales as a missionary.
(d) Give all his money to his father.
2. What does Mrs. Stratton ask Oscar his opinion about the first night he dines with them?
(a) Greek versus Latin languages.
(b) The new china pattern she has selected.
(c) The propriety of having more than one altar.
(d) The dining room curtains.
3. When Lucinda leaves Paramatta, who takes her to Sydney?
(a) Mr. Ahearn.
(b) Mrs. Cousins.
(c) Mr. d'Abbs.
(d) Sol Myer.
4. What does Lucinda steal from the boat and place on the hotel counter in Sydney?
5. What is Lucinda's state of mind when she first arrives on the ship?
6. When Oscar is peering through the fence at Reverend Stratton butchering a pig, what does Stratton throw at Oscar?
(c) Pine cone.
7. Why does Lucinda like to spend time in Dennis' study?
(a) She likes to read his Wilkie Collins books.
(b) To do yoga.
(c) For friendship and warmth.
(d) To play the violin.
8. After his wife's death, where did Theophilus throw his wife's clothes?
(a) In a ditch.
(b) The dumpster.
(c) The fireplace.
(d) The sea.
9. What did Lucinda's parents buy her for a birthday gift?
10. What did Theophilus believe Christmas was?
(a) A time for family celebration.
(b) A pagan holiday.
(c) A Christian holiday.
(d) The best holiday.
11. How does Oscar finally board the ship in Chapter 46?
(b) In a cage pulled up by a crane.
(c) Walking without help.
(d) In a wheelchair.
12. What does Lucinda enjoy playing at Mr. d'Abbs house?
(a) Piano duets.
(b) Violin sonatas.
13. What does superstition say about a caul?
(a) It is a bad luck charm.
(b) It protects against drowning.
(c) It brings good luck to babies.
(d) Adults should not use it for fear of disease.
14. What was Lucinda's mother's dream?
(a) To teach fifth grade.
(b) To publish a book.
(c) To get a medical degree.
(d) To own a factory.
15. What is the name of Theophilus' book?
(a) Nature in the Raw.
(b) Sea Creatures at Large.
(c) Sea Stories.
(d) Hennacombe Rambles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theophilus check every morning as Oscar stands on a footstool?
2. When Oscar meets his father along the road carrying buckets, what does Theophilus look like?
3. Why can't Mrs. Stratton have an official position in the Anglican church?
4. Why did the narrator's mother take the wire from the fuse in Chapter 2?
5. What excuse does Lucinda give Dennis when she tells him she must leave before their celebratory dinner in Chapter 40?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)