|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucinda mainly remember about her mother?
(a) Her sweetness.
(b) Her bitterness and anger.
(c) Her fine cooking.
(d) Her conservative clothing.
2. What does Oscar do when his father gives him the scientific name for his new grey "tor" stone in Chapter 10?
(a) Bursts into tears.
(c) Says thank you.
(d) Asks more questions.
3. What does Ian Wardley-Fish teach Oscar to do?
4. What does Mrs. Stratton ask Oscar his opinion about the first night he dines with them?
(a) The dining room curtains.
(b) The propriety of having more than one altar.
(c) The new china pattern she has selected.
(d) Greek versus Latin languages.
5. What is the name of the luxurious ocean liner that Oscar sails on?
(a) The Sir Anthony.
(c) Sydney Sailor.
(d) London Twister.
6. What does Oscar plan to do once he has earned enough money from gambling in Chapter 41?
(a) Spend his money on a house.
(b) Travel to New Guinea.
(c) Travel to New South Wales as a missionary.
(d) Give all his money to his father.
7. After his wife's death, where did Theophilus throw his wife's clothes?
(a) The dumpster.
(b) In a ditch.
(c) The fireplace.
(d) The sea.
8. What extravagant gift does Oscar send the Strattons when he is at Oriel?
9. Where is Oscar sitting when Lucinda talks with him on board the ship?
(a) Red-velvet settee.
(b) On the sun deck.
(c) In the bathtub.
(d) Lounge chair.
10. What did Theophilus believe Christmas was?
(a) The best holiday.
(b) A Christian holiday.
(c) A time for family celebration.
(d) A pagan holiday.
11. Why is Dennis not in love with Lucinda?
(a) He doesn't like her parents.
(b) He thinks she is not suitable.
(c) She is too pretty.
(d) She has too little money.
12. How does Oscar finally board the ship in Chapter 46?
(a) In a cage pulled up by a crane.
(b) Walking without help.
(c) In a wheelchair.
13. What food do the Strattons serve Oscar the first night he has dinner with them?
(a) Shepherd's pie with raisins.
(c) Steak and potatoes.
(d) Chicken salad.
14. What is the name of the church that the narrator and his family go to each Sunday?
(a) Three River Church.
(b) St. Mary's.
(c) Assumption Church.
(d) St. John's.
15. How did Lucinda's father die?
(a) Heart attack.
(b) In his sleep.
(d) He was thrown from a horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation does Oscar have after graduating from Oriel?
2. Who earns a sixpence a week?
3. When Oscar meets his father along the road carrying buckets, what does Theophilus look like?
4. What does the membership of the Plymouth Brethren do outside the Stratton's house?
5. Why do the townspeople make fun of Lucinda's mother?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)