|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the narrator's mother love to invite over for tea?
(a) Her son's friends.
(b) The bishop.
(c) Her relatives.
(d) Other mothers.
2. What does Theophilus check every morning as Oscar stands on a footstool?
(a) Oscar's lungs.
(b) Oscar's heart.
(c) Oscar's scalp.
(d) Oscar's teeth.
3. When Oscar is peering through the fence at Reverend Stratton butchering a pig, what does Stratton throw at Oscar?
(d) Pine cone.
4. What noise is described as being as "definite as a walnut cracking?"
(a) The man's head cracking.
(b) Car backfiring.
(d) Angry clapping.
5. What does Mrs. Stratton ask Oscar his opinion about the first night he dines with them?
(a) Greek versus Latin languages.
(b) The dining room curtains.
(c) The propriety of having more than one altar.
(d) The new china pattern she has selected.
6. Why does Lucinda like to spend time in Dennis' study?
(a) For friendship and warmth.
(b) To play the violin.
(c) To do yoga.
(d) She likes to read his Wilkie Collins books.
7. What is Lucinda's state of mind when she first arrives on the ship?
8. What does the narrator say was responsible for the story of the church?
(a) A Christmas pudding.
(b) A lost puppy.
(d) An abandoned building.
9. Who is terrified of the sea?
(c) Mrs. Williams.
10. What does Oscar ask Wardley-Fish to do to help him understand God's plan for his future in Chapter 42?
(a) Read a tarot card.
(b) Read a bible passage.
(d) Flip a coin.
11. What kind of factory is for sale when Lucinda arrives in Sydney?
(a) Automobile factory.
(b) Machine parts factory.
(c) Glassworks factory.
(d) Cheesecake factory.
12. What was Lucinda's mother's dream?
(a) To teach fifth grade.
(b) To own a factory.
(c) To get a medical degree.
(d) To publish a book.
13. What does Lucy make at the large table in the kitchen while Theophilus is sitting there?
14. How does Melody feel about her companions on board the ship?
15. What does Lucinda ask of Oscar the first time she talks with him?
(a) To place a bet on the horses.
(b) If he has any money to lend.
(c) To play cards.
(d) To hear her confession.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oscar disappoint Wardley-Fish when they go to Cremorne Gardens?
2. Where is Oscar sitting when Lucinda talks with him on board the ship?
3. What does Oscar find in the envelope that Reverend Stratton sent him?
4. What does Theophilus tell Oscar that the yellow "tor" stone is made of?
5. What does Theophilus Hopkins study in the natural world?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)