|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel where Lucinda stays in Sydney?
(a) The Whimsical B&B.
(b) Gertrude's Hotel.
(c) Petty's Hotel.
(d) The Coat and Arms.
2. Where does Oscar go to live after graduating from Oriel?
(a) Notting Hill.
(c) South Hampshire.
3. What does Theophilus Hopkins study in the natural world?
(a) Plants in Australia.
(c) The sea.
4. What does the narrator say was responsible for the story of the church?
(a) A Christmas pudding.
(c) An abandoned building.
(d) A lost puppy.
5. What does Theophilus ask Mrs. Williams to do after Oscar runs away?
(a) Kneel and pray.
(b) Pack away Oscar's belongings.
(c) Take over Oscar's chores.
(d) Travel to the city for supplies.
6. Where was Lucinda Leplastrier born?
(c) New South Wales.
7. Why does Lucinda like to spend time in Dennis' study?
(a) For friendship and warmth.
(b) To do yoga.
(c) To play the violin.
(d) She likes to read his Wilkie Collins books.
8. How does Oscar finally board the ship in Chapter 46?
(a) In a cage pulled up by a crane.
(b) Walking without help.
(c) In a wheelchair.
9. What is the name of Theophilus' book?
(a) Hennacombe Rambles.
(b) Sea Creatures at Large.
(c) Sea Stories.
(d) Nature in the Raw.
10. What does Lucinda steal from the boat and place on the hotel counter in Sydney?
11. Where is Oscar sitting when Lucinda talks with him on board the ship?
(a) In the bathtub.
(b) On the sun deck.
(c) Lounge chair.
(d) Red-velvet settee.
12. Why did the narrator's mother take the wire from the fuse in Chapter 2?
(a) To make an Advent wreath.
(b) To fix a broken chain.
(c) To hang a picture.
(d) To create a bracelet.
13. What did Lucinda's parents buy her for a birthday gift?
14. What does Melody think about Theophilus?
(a) He makes her skin crawl.
(b) He is interesting.
(c) She finds him fascinating.
(d) He intrigues her.
15. What is the name of the church that the narrator and his family go to each Sunday?
(a) St. Mary's.
(b) Assumption Church.
(c) St. John's.
(d) Three River Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ian Wardley-Fish teach Oscar to do?
2. What does superstition say about a caul?
3. What does Mr. Stratton call Oscar at the end of Chapter 30?
4. What does Mrs. Williams chase Oscar with when he sees her at the post office?
5. What does Oscar pray for each night for the Strattons?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)