|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lucinda leaves Paramatta, who takes her to Sydney?
(a) Sol Myer.
(b) Mr. d'Abbs.
(c) Mrs. Cousins.
(d) Mr. Ahearn.
2. What does Lucinda's mother plan to do with the farm so she can retire from farming?
(a) Sell it to a cattle baron.
(b) Let the land grow fallow.
(c) Turn it into a coffee planation.
(d) Divide it into five parcels and sell it.
3. What makes Dennis feel stronger about himself?
(a) Lifting weights.
(c) Being admired by women.
(d) Reading books about biology.
4. What food do the Strattons serve Oscar the first night he has dinner with them?
(b) Chicken salad.
(c) Shepherd's pie with raisins.
(d) Steak and potatoes.
5. What does superstition say about a caul?
(a) It protects against drowning.
(b) It brings good luck to babies.
(c) It is a bad luck charm.
(d) Adults should not use it for fear of disease.
6. What does Oscar plan to do once he has earned enough money from gambling in Chapter 41?
(a) Travel to New Guinea.
(b) Travel to New South Wales as a missionary.
(c) Give all his money to his father.
(d) Spend his money on a house.
7. Where was Lucinda Leplastrier born?
(d) New South Wales.
8. What religion does Oscar believe he must follow in Chapter 9?
9. How does Oscar finally board the ship in Chapter 46?
(a) In a wheelchair.
(b) In a cage pulled up by a crane.
(d) Walking without help.
10. How does Oscar disappoint Wardley-Fish when they go to Cremorne Gardens?
(a) He does not wear a coat and tie.
(b) He won't drink champagne.
(c) He says he doesn't like the place and leaves.
(d) He arrives four hours late.
11. What does Lucinda enjoy playing at Mr. d'Abbs house?
(b) Violin sonatas.
(d) Piano duets.
12. When Oscar is peering through the fence at Reverend Stratton butchering a pig, what does Stratton throw at Oscar?
(a) Pine cone.
13. What does Oscar find in the envelope that Reverend Stratton sent him?
(a) Letter from his father.
(b) Bookmark from his youth.
(c) Betting slip.
14. What is Oscar's nickname when he is at the Oriel Seminary?
(b) Odd Bod.
(d) Carrot top.
15. What extravagant gift does Oscar send the Strattons when he is at Oriel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Oscar sitting when Lucinda talks with him on board the ship?
2. What does Oscar do when his father gives him the scientific name for his new grey "tor" stone in Chapter 10?
3. How old is Oscar when he leaves his father's home?
4. Why does Lucinda like to spend time in Dennis' study?
5. What kind of factory is for sale when Lucinda arrives in Sydney?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)