|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Snowman tell the Crakers to call the shore?
2. What is discouraged at Crake's school?
3. What name does Crake suggest for Jimmy when Jimmy comes to work for him?
4. Where does Snowman take the Crakers when they leave the dome?
5. What birds are flying overhead when Snowman enters the compound's residence area?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Oryx unlike the women that Jimmy meets in college?
2. What kills the people that Snowman finds in the house he visits?
3. What are the major differences between Snowman and the Crakers?
4. What does Snowman hope to gain from the humans that the Crakers have seen?
5. What is the significance of the note that Jimmy left behind?
6. Why does Snowman tell the Crakers that they are in a dream?
7. Is the author effective in building suspense when Snowman arrives at the compound?
8. How do the Crakers get the idea to build a symbol?
9. What are the similarities between Snowman's life now and in the past?
10. Why are guns missing from the dead guards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the way that Snowman reacts to the events around him. Do you think he is realistic in the way he reacts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Is Oryx a pawn in the novel? Why or why not? Do you think that Margaret Atwood is trying to send a message to the reader by doing this?
Essay Topic 3
How is irony present in the novel? What role does irony play in the story? What evidence of this is there?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)