|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What approaches Snowman's tree at night?
2. Who does Snowman try to conjure before he goes to bed at night in his tree?
3. Why are the new humans scented?
4. What kind of hat does Snowman wear?
5. Where does Jimmy believe that Oryx once lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't the children know what a real Snowman is?
2. Why does Snowman cry when leaving the Crakers?
3. How does Crake insult Jimmy?
4. What has been eliminated from the human experience for the Crakers?
5. Why does Jimmy ("Snowman") believe that the nickname "Abominable Snowman" fits him?
6. In what ways is Oryx a pawn? What does this foreshadow?
7. What theories do you have about how the world has ended up this way?
8. How does Snowman feel about Oryx?
9. How do the Crakers bore Snowman?
10. What is Crake's opinion on poverty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are flashbacks used in Oryx and Crake to keep the plot's action continuing? What would the novel be like without flashbacks? Why are they so vital to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Is Oryx a pawn in the novel? Why or why not? Do you think that Margaret Atwood is trying to send a message to the reader by doing this?
Essay Topic 3
How is irony present in the novel? What role does irony play in the story? What evidence of this is there?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)