|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Snowman wish he was drinking rather than water when he is in the forest?
2. What is Jimmy's former pet?
3. How does the boy get injured?
4. What time does Snowman usually retreat to the forest?
5. Why are the new humans scented?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has been eliminated from the human experience for the Crakers?
2. Why does Jimmy ("Snowman") believe that the nickname "Abominable Snowman" fits him?
3. How is suspense created in the beginning of the novel before the reader is introduced to the specific details of Snowman's world?
4. What theories do you have about how the world has ended up this way?
5. What laws has Snowman made? Why? How is he able to make laws?
6. Describe the relationship that Jimmy has with his parents.
7. Why does Snowman choose the name Thickney? Why does Crake choose this name for himself?
8. Why does Snowman cry when leaving the Crakers?
9. What is Crake's opinion on poverty?
10. Why are the animals being burned in the bonfire that Snowman remembers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When reading Oryx and Crake, how is the reader encouraged to be active, as opposed to passive? Provide at least one specific example from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Crakers and the way they function in society. What are their lives like? In what ways are they simpler than humans? In what ways are they more complex?
Essay Topic 3
How is the radio that Snowman finds a symbol? What does it symbolize?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)