|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmy's mother do before she quits her job?
2. What role does Jimmy establish himself as when he is a student at HelthWyzer?
3. What is Snowman's earliest memory of his life?
4. What is Jimmy's former pet?
5. At what place does Snowman believe he will find guns?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the animals being burned in the bonfire that Snowman remembers?
2. In what ways is Oryx a pawn? What does this foreshadow?
3. What things is Snowman scared of?
4. Are Jimmy and Crake good friends for each other? Why or why not?
5. How does Snowman feel about Crake?
6. How does Snowman feel when telling the Crakers stories about Crake?
7. What is Crake's opinion on poverty?
8. Why does Snowman cry when leaving the Crakers?
9. Why does Snowman tell the children that he has feathers instead of stubble?
10. What can the reader assume about civilization and humanity in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is significant about Snowman's bonfire memory? What does Snowman think as a child when he sees the bonfire? Why is it significant to Snowman's current situation in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
When reading Oryx and Crake, how is the reader encouraged to be active, as opposed to passive? Provide at least one specific example from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the novel's central conflict? Provide evidence to support your claims.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)