|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Oryx's actions monitored by her owner?
2. What food do the new humans bring to Snowman?
3. What animals cannot be hunted?
4. What social issue do Jimmy and Crake discuss?
5. What happens to the afternoon weather in Snowman's location?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is suspense created in the beginning of the novel before the reader is introduced to the specific details of Snowman's world?
2. Describe the relationship that Jimmy has with his parents.
3. Why are the animals being burned in the bonfire that Snowman remembers?
4. What has been eliminated from the human experience for the Crakers?
5. Why does Snowman cry when leaving the Crakers?
6. Describe the Crakers.
7. How does Jimmy's family foreshadow the future?
8. Why does Snowman feel no lust for women?
9. How does Snowman feel about Crake?
10. What can the reader assume about civilization and humanity in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first section of the novel, what can the reader assume about Snowman? What can the reader assume about the new species of humans? How does the truth compare with these assumptions?
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about Snowman's bonfire memory? What does Snowman think as a child when he sees the bonfire? Why is it significant to Snowman's current situation in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is irony present in the novel? What role does irony play in the story? What evidence of this is there?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)