|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Oryx sold to after her first owner leaves?
2. What does the reader know that Crake has ruled in Chapter 1?
3. What time does Snowman believe it is as he turns inland?
4. What does Snowman throw to scare away the animals that approach his tree at night?
5. Why can't Snowman tell what time it is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Crake insult Jimmy?
2. Why are the animals being burned in the bonfire that Snowman remembers?
3. What can the reader assume about civilization and humanity in Chapter 1?
4. Why does Snowman tell the children that he has feathers instead of stubble?
5. Describe the Crakers.
6. Why does Snowman cry when leaving the Crakers?
7. What things is Snowman scared of?
8. How does Jimmy's family foreshadow the future?
9. What has been eliminated from the human experience for the Crakers?
10. Why does Jimmy ("Snowman") believe that the nickname "Abominable Snowman" fits him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first section of the novel, what can the reader assume about Snowman? What can the reader assume about the new species of humans? How does the truth compare with these assumptions?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Snowman has thoughts and flashbacks that involve both Oryx and Crake. What does Jimmy think of these two? What emotions does he feel for the other two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Jimmy's family and the role his mother and father play in his development. How does Jimmy try to replace his family later on in life? Does he succeed? Why or why not?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)