|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Snowman expect to be gone on his journey to the compound?
2. Why doesn't Jimmy's family ever visit the pleeblands?
3. Where does Jimmy live with his mother and father?
4. What does Jimmy's mother do before she quits her job?
5. How does the boy get injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Oryx's childhood.
2. What has been eliminated from the human experience for the Crakers?
3. Why does Sharon leave? Why does Sharon destroy the computers?
4. Are Jimmy and Crake good friends for each other? Why or why not?
5. What laws has Snowman made? Why? How is he able to make laws?
6. Why does Jimmy ("Snowman") believe that the nickname "Abominable Snowman" fits him?
7. How does Jimmy's family foreshadow the future?
8. How is suspense created in the beginning of the novel before the reader is introduced to the specific details of Snowman's world?
9. In what ways is Oryx a pawn? What does this foreshadow?
10. What can the reader infer about the creatures that Snowman encounters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the way that Snowman reacts to the events around him. Do you think he is realistic in the way he reacts? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the first section of the novel, what can the reader assume about Snowman? What can the reader assume about the new species of humans? How does the truth compare with these assumptions?
Essay Topic 3
How is the title Oryx and Crake relevant to the novel's story? Who is the story about? Is that shown in the title? Why or why not?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)